Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #9901 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the M55-DO and just got the update. I can also confirm no HDR on Amazon. Also no DV on Vudu... but that hasn’t been there for a long time for me. I watch Amazon on Apple TV so no issues there. Just a bit disappointed with the Vudu because I have to watch using the app since the Apple app so far doesn’t support 4K.

I did notice a nice little DV logo now appears when watching DV material.

Also, one other thing, while watching Star Wars over the weekend. I use the Tumble settings like most of us but had been noticing the dark scenes in movies like Harry Potter just looked overly grey... not black. I wasn’t about to have Star Wars ruined like that so I started futzing around with a few settings. I found by lowering the brightness one notch to 49 brought back the tv I originally purchased! Finally, once again I had true black bars at the top and bottom of the screen and the dark scenes were most satisfying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just another update as we all work through this update.
Started a case with Vizio yesterday in regards to my green tint flash and Vudu not having DV.
As always I was instructed to do a factory reset via the app...I feel like this is an easy way out. But was quite surprised he continued on to want to help work through the Netflix problem so I'll be sending video tonight of the green flash. And he also stated the following for those with Vudu:

"For the VUDU issue you described, an app update is coming soon to resolve and allow for Dolby Vision. I don't have an exact date but it should be relatively soon."

So that's some good news. Hopefully this helps some out with any issues following the FW update

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jacksomkesoplenty likes this.
post #9903 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlp3D View Post
Just another update as we all work through this update.
Started a case with Vizio yesterday in regards to my green tint flash and Vudu not having DV.
As always I was instructed to do a factory reset via the app...I feel like this is an easy way out. But was quite surprised he continued on to want to help work through the Netflix problem so I'll be sending video tonight of the green flash. And he also stated the following for those with Vudu:

"For the VUDU issue you described, an app update is coming soon to resolve and allow for Dolby Vision. I don't have an exact date but it should be relatively soon."

So that's some good news. Hopefully this helps some out with any issues following the FW update

Hopefully someone can help at this point, I emailed the support team member but not sure he'll get back to me tonight. I attempted to do the factory reset as instructed...annnnndddddd....now it's stuck on the screen you see in the image. Loading circle is spinning but I'm at 30 minutes now and not feeling warm and fuzzy about this restart. Anyone have any ideas or ran into this before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9904 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Hopefully someone can help at this point, I emailed the support team member but not sure he'll get back to me tonight. I attempted to do the factory reset as instructed...annnnndddddd....now it's stuck on the screen you see in the image. Loading circle is spinning but I'm at 30 minutes now and not feeling warm and fuzzy about this restart. Anyone have any ideas or ran into this before?

Cant really answer for that but as far as your dolby vision issue,how do you use netflix? Is it through the app on the tv's interface or on a mobile device? Over the past few weeks of watching several different series(Alter Carbon,Jessica Jones,The Punisher etc) I had screen flashes although when I used the app via a mobile device I had zero issues. In fact everything looks better. I have used an ipad and the android tablet that came with the tv and maybe im just high(I am) but there seems to be a noticeable picture quality improvement using the android device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EliFTW and wlp3D like this.
post #9905 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
Cant really answer for that but as far as your dolby vision issue,how do you use netflix? Is it through the app on the tv's interface or on a mobile device? Over the past few weeks of watching several different series(Alter Carbon,Jessica Jones,The Punisher etc) I had screen flashes although when I used the app via a mobile device I had zero issues. In fact everything looks better. I have used an ipad and the android tablet that came with the tv and maybe im just high(I am) but there seems to be a noticeable picture quality improvement using the android device.

Haven't tried using the tablet or phone...so as of now it's only when using the on screen menus and it's only for a second after the loading circle finishes and then it does the whole Netflix intro thing. But that's the least of my concerns if my TV doesn't get off this screen lol

post #9906 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Ok so I did the soft reset (power off, disconnect power, hold power button, plug back in and power on)...popped up with the Enter PIN screen but displayed no pin, went to the app and switched to Bluetooth...paired and finished set up...I was about to need some of whatever it is your smoking

post #9907 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Haven't tried using the tablet or phone...so as of now it's only when using the on screen menus and it's only for a second after the loading circle finishes and then it does the whole Netflix intro thing. But that's the least of my concerns if my TV doesn't get off this screen lol

I understand,maybe try another reset but dont attach to your network until after the intial set up. I do this if I do a factory reset to avoid the tv's wifi mac address from picking up onto my network before
I can block it in the router. Otherwise it shows my display connected ethernet and wifi inside my router info.

wlp3D likes this.
post #9908 of 10263 Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Ok so I did the soft reset (power off, disconnect power, hold power button, plug back in and power on)...popped up with the Enter PIN screen but displayed no pin, went to the app and switched to Bluetooth...paired and finished set up...I was about to need some of whatever it is your smoking

Oh cool,you must have posted this while I was typing. Im really hoping to not get this update. I havent checked for updates and dont plan on it. I have the wifi mac blocked and tv set to eco mode so when I turn it off it is off.

wlp3D likes this.
post #9909 of 10263 Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Yeah got my update yesterday evening. Time for @sonoftumble to break out the meter again. ..sigh..
post #9910 of 10263 Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Yeah got my update yesterday evening. Time for @sonoftumble to break out the meter again. ..sigh..
I put sonoftumble's latest settings back into my M55D0 last evening (I did do a full reset after update) and I think the results are better. So I may have botched input last time. I think SDR is excellent now with better color saturation. I have not tested HDR extensively but Bosch on HDR10 from Roku is "less bad"--- still a bit orange on many scenes. Netflix Godless seems to be a bit better --saturation and highlights with good color-- on Roku HDR10 than on Smartcast DV. I don't do Vudu so those issues are not bothering me. But lets hope sonoftumble can do another spin. Thanks in Advance.

Display: Vizio M55D0
Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
post #9911 of 10263 Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
My M70 updated yesterday. A brief test looked the same as before, in terms of PQ. I am using sonoftumble's settings and there isn't an obvious difference from the old firmware, to my eyes at least.

I feed the TV from an Apple TV 4k and everything works as expected so far, based on a quick viewing of Electric Dreams (Amazon HDR), Okja (Netflix Dolby Vision) and GoT on HBO (SDR).
post #9912 of 10263 Old 03-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've seen a lot of folks here indicate using streaming box as source of image, I currently use a Nvidia shield, which gives me an assortment of video color space options, with @sonoftumble calibrations I view his settings as a "cinema" color correct option when viewing Netflix, amazon.. but when viewing stream tv apps like psvue it seems that the app is providing a specific color space, I'm just wondering if anyone can't indicate what's the best color space for this monitor. Thru Nvidia I am using 4k, 422 12bit yuv...709... To get hdr thru this device I have switch to 2020, which I read Nvidia maybe working on a "auto switch.. just wondering.. i do have color sampling on...I sometimes get a wierd grayish haze when watching dark scenes in psvue

Last edited by asolor78; 03-30-2018 at 08:49 AM.
post #9913 of 10263 Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Rearranging Built-In SmartCast Apps

Hey All:

I just canceled my fios TV service to use Youtube TV. Is there a way to move the application tiles around so that I don't have to scroll all the way to the right in the Smartcast interface to get to it? This may seem silly but this will make it much easier for my wife and kids to adapt to the change. I was unable to find any option to do this either in the on-set menus or the mobile-app.

Many thanks in advance!!

-Dave
post #9914 of 10263 Old 03-30-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some bugs in this new FW for sure but I noticed that USB port now powers off when the display goes off. I have a bias light thing plugged in to the USB and I normally i have to use the supplied remote to turn it off but now it goes off when i turn off my vizio. And when I turn on the display the lights come back on as well to my last color setting.
post #9915 of 10263 Old 03-30-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Some bugs in this new FW for sure but I noticed that USB port now powers off when the display goes off. I have a bias light thing plugged in to the USB and I normally i have to use the supplied remote to turn it off but now it goes off when i turn off my vizio. And when I turn on the display the lights come back on as well to my last color setting.

If you dont mind,what product are you using for your lighting

post #9916 of 10263 Old 03-31-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm using this. Cheap and it works great for my M70

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #9917 of 10263 Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help from Forum members that ordered a VIZIO TV online and had it delivered, anytime between mid-2013 through mid-2016 that has the VIA+ Smart TV platform. Any model is fine, M Series or E Series represent the greatest volume.

I am a former VIZIO employee and have filed a Civil RICO lawsuit against VIZIO for defective products, which includes charges of wire and mail fraud. Even though the fraud was widespread, it is better to be able to cite specific instances. There is no risk to you, just need your name, the date you ordered, the date you received the TV. If you've experienced problems with your VIZIO TV, please include that info, but a major problem is not required. The primary claim is insufficient RAM memory/memory management, which prevented apps from running, or caused them to crash or buffer.

You can private message me, or contact me directly at [email protected]. Thanks!
post #9918 of 10263 Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliFTW View Post
Hey All:

I just canceled my fios TV service to use Youtube TV. Is there a way to move the application tiles around so that I don't have to scroll all the way to the right in the Smartcast interface to get to it? This may seem silly but this will make it much easier for my wife and kids to adapt to the change. I was unable to find any option to do this either in the on-set menus or the mobile-app.

Many thanks in advance!!

-Dave

Ok, so since I posted this, the YouTube TV app is now gone from the SmartCast app choices. No idea WTF Vizio is doing here...

Any thoughts about this issue and my prior question would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #9919 of 10263 Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonavy34 View Post
So I got my 4K Copy of Star Wars Ep VIII last night and was all excited to watch when Xbox One X let me down. Games play in HDR10 fine, as do many apps, but putting in a movie disc just plays 4K, no HDR...and to be honest, the quality looked 1080p or less.

Ended up using Vudu App on Xbox to watch movie in 4K HDR... disappointed that disc player is a problem. Don't know how to fix this one since obviously settings are good for everything else.
Ok, so I'm not the only one with this issue!

I too popped in the Star Wars Ep. 8 UHD disc into my Xbox One S (plugged into input 1, is that the right input?). Info button shows 4K "Normal". If I play the movie from the Vudu app on the built in Smartcast player, it shows 1080p HDR10.

I did some A/B testing with a bluray player on another input. There's marginally more detail on the UHD. I was hoping to see some differences in HDR vs not though.
post #9920 of 10263 Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by noears View Post
Ok, so I'm not the only one with this issue!

I too popped in the Star Wars Ep. 8 UHD disc into my Xbox One S (plugged into input 1, is that the right input?). Info button shows 4K "Normal". If I play the movie from the Vudu app on the built in Smartcast player, it shows 1080p HDR10.

I did some A/B testing with a bluray player on another input. There's marginally more detail on the UHD. I was hoping to see some differences in HDR vs not though.
Input 1 is correct. I still haven't got disc to play right on One X...any 4K disc for that matter. When I had the One S it used to work (Logan and Suicide Squad).

I did have better luck with the Vudu App on the One X...movie played in 4K HDR 10. Guess that's the best option for know. Your One S should run Vudu app better than TV.

Vudu is only 4K digital option for Star Wars that I know of.

I'd really like to know how the disc compares to digital stream... another topic for another day. Until then I'll have to be disappointed in disc player in One X.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by gonavy34; 03-31-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #9921 of 10263 Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I currently use the HDMI 1 input on my M60-D1 for ARC to my OPPO 203. I purchased an Apple TV 4K and would like take advantage of its HDR10 and Dolby Vision capabilities, however it appears the only input that supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision is HDMI 1. Any guidance appreciated.
post #9922 of 10263 Old 04-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does the M65-do support Bluetooth headphones? If not is a BT transmitter the best way to connect headphones to the TV?
post #9923 of 10263 Old 04-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonavy34 View Post
Input 1 is correct. I still haven't got disc to play right on One X...any 4K disc for that matter. When I had the One S it used to work (Logan and Suicide Squad).

I did have better luck with the Vudu App on the One X...movie played in 4K HDR 10. Guess that's the best option for know. Your One S should run Vudu app better than TV.

Vudu is only 4K digital option for Star Wars that I know of.

I'd really like to know how the disc compares to digital stream... another topic for another day. Until then I'll have to be disappointed in disc player in One X.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
OK, turns out I did not have the "Full UHD Color" setting enabled on my TV. Once I turned that on, both the Xbox bluray app and Vudu app sent a HDR10 signal to the TV. Star Wars Ep. 8 UHD disc did play in HDR10 mode. I did some A/B testing of the UHD vs Bluray and there differences were subtle but noticable in some scenes. Nothing amazing.

So not sure why you don't get HDR from your Xbox + Star Wars.

Last edited by noears; 04-01-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #9924 of 10263 Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not sure if I have another issue with this update, or something else going on. I have an M60-C3 w/ a Yamaha receiver and an Xbox ONE X. The receiver is just old enough not to have HDCP 2.2, so for 4K movies and gaming I run HDMI from the Xbox to the HDMI 5 input, then optical audio out from the TV to the Yamaha receiver. This has worked fine until yesterday. Now I can only get stereo output out of the Xbox ONE X. Attempting to change this in the Xbox settings gives me an error that 5.1 surround is not supported by the TV. TV viewing, Netflix, and Amazon still send 5.1 fine to the receiver over the optical audio cable, but it won't send Dolby Digital from the HDMI 5 input through the optical cable to the receiver.

I've worked around it by hooking an optical cable up directly from the Xbox to the receiver, but apparently I'll have to check on the old setup once another update comes out. Or eventually get around to updating the receiver.

-- Greg

post #9925 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
My LED bias lighting is plugged into the USB port on the display and it has always powered off when I turn off the display. I think you have to set the display to ECO mode to do that, as opposed to Quick Start. Its been awhile since I set it up but I am pretty sure that was the setting that I used. Otherwise the USB inputs receive constant power even when the display is powered off.
post #9926 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post
My LED bias lighting is plugged into the USB port on the display and it has always powered off when I turn off the display. I think you have to set the display to ECO mode to do that, as opposed to Quick Start. Its been awhile since I set it up but I am pretty sure that was the setting that I used. Otherwise the USB inputs receive constant power even when the display is powered off.
Yeah I think you are right. My previous setting was indeed quick start and when I did the new FW update I left it at ECO mode. Thanks for the clarification!
post #9927 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm using this one. It was suggested by another member on this forum, and if you search the forum you can find additional suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
post #9928 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I think you are right. My previous setting was indeed quick start and when I did the new FW update I left it at ECO mode. Thanks for the clarification!
Unfortunately this is why I am not using the Vizio Alexa skill. The display has to be in Quick Start to use Alexa to turn it on or off. Supposedly you can still use it to change inputs or volume once the display is powered on but its easier for me to use the remote to do that. Screaming at Alexa to turn the TV down is a little counter productive I think.
post #9929 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post
I'm using this one. It was suggested by another member on this forum, and if you search the forum you can find additional suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks,do you recall what size kit you used? Large,extra large? Also how was installation? Did you have any trouble bending/turning the corners? Again Thank You

post #9930 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,do you recall what size kit you used? Large,extra large? Also how was installation? Did you have any trouble bending/turning the corners? Again Thank You

Depends on the size of the display. I have a M70 and I think I got the large, which does the sides and the top. It looks fine, you do not need to do the entire display. Besides, I have a center channel speaker mounted directly on the wall beneath the display so prefer no lights there. I think there is a chart on the page somewhere that gives suggestions, but they give you the length of each size and you can just measure the display to decide what works for you.

The strip is flexible and designed to bend, corners are not an issue at all. There is a length without lights after the USB plug so you can just go down to the bottom corner of the display and start the lights there. I had no interest in different colors or a fancy remote. This one was well packaged, looks well made, and seems to have good reviews. I have two M70's and did them both. No issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page