Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #9931 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeebaBoy View Post
Hello Everyone,

First of all Thanks everyone taking time to read my post and helping me out.
Secondly i'm new to the forum, I did took my time to read some of the rules of the forums but if I did make a mistake Please let me know
and if I have posted this in the wrong category MODS Please move it and i'll Make sure same mistakes wont happen again

Here's the brief details about the things i'm using
65" VIZIO M65-D0 4K TV ( 2016 model) ...Vizio Smartcast HDR HomeTheatre Dispay ...
Nvidia Shield Android box( 2016 model) ...4K HDR Streaming Media Player ......
Playing my movies on Kodi v18.0 alpha nightly build.
Both Kodi and Nvidia Shield is set to 3,840x2,160 60FPS

OK now lets get back to my Question..
I decided to watch the movie on my setup.. I played the video which I have both in 4k and 1080P
1080P looked so awesome and 4K looked washed out(figured out this term after googling)
so I thought may be i'm not able to tell the difference between 4K... and may be the 1080p has color enhanced and 4k has BT2020 which means life like colors... so may be that's what life like colors look like... and second reason I thought was may be my TV is upscaling 1080p to 4K that's y I might not be able to tell the difference..

so after googling a lot and talking to one person he told me
- first the movie is not 4K mastered and its only 2K mastered.. that's y I can't tell the difference..
- second he said try turning the 24Fps on NVidia shield
- and last if I see washed out color then my tv doesn't support HDR

so I changed to 24FPS and still couldn't tell the difference in quality of a movie but I could tell a lot of LAG while using my shield player which I reduced by using reduce judder setting on my TV.

So couldn't tell the difference between 1080P or 4K and the colors were still washed out...
Then I suddenly remember that my TV only has 1 HDR port and my shield isn't connected to it.. i'll try to switch the port later in the Day and i'm hoping atleast I don't see those washed out colors.. which is a huge disappointment when watching 4K

I Just want to Know is there any other recommendations I should try...

and also about that 24fps.. can I leave that on 24/7 while i'm watching other contents like regular SD or 720p or 1080p or Should only use when I watch 4K UHD content with HDR...

or Should I just leave it disable and go back to 60FPS...

Thanks everyone taking time to read the long post and replying...

P.S. Sorry was trying to post the link to my setup manufacture's website but couldn't Since i'm new to forums
in 24Hz, HDR will also work on ports 2-4, only port 1 supports HDR in 60Hz... I use Plex, not sure if Kodi has HDR support, but I don't count on HDR working through my Plex... 4k, for sure, but not HDR... I just leave my Shield on 10-bit REC2020 and don't have any washed out issues, but I also mainly use Netflix and Amazon Prime for HDR, do those work fine?
jedurocher likes this.

Last edited by danbfree; 04-03-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post
Depends on the size of the display. I have a M70 and I think I got the large, which does the sides and the top. It looks fine, you do not need to do the entire display. Besides, I have a center channel speaker mounted directly on the wall beneath the display so prefer no lights there. I think there is a chart on the page somewhere that gives suggestions, but they give you the length of each size and you can just measure the display to decide what works for you.

The strip is flexible and designed to bend, corners are not an issue at all. There is a length without lights after the USB plug so you can just go down to the bottom corner of the display and start the lights there. I had no interest in different colors or a fancy remote. This one was well packaged, looks well made, and seems to have good reviews. I have two M70's and did them both. No issues at all.

Cool,thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9933 of 10263 Old 04-03-2018, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My M65-D0 appears to have received the update recently, though for the first time the TV didn't tell me it received an update.

I watch everything via an Apple TV 4K, which coincidentally updated the same time I first saw the TV had updated. I've seen a couple minor issues but no showstoppers. The TV now goes blank and then shows the Apple TV home screen a second time when I turn on the TV, which is annoying but not really an issue. In the HBO GO App, the episode recaps that play before episodes (for Westworld at least) have some kind of judder/framerate issue that makes them look like they are playing at 12fps. I know the recaps are a separate video file on the backend, because they always only support 2.0 audio instead of 5.1. I presume the issue is the HBO App not telling the ATV the proper frame rate to decode so it ends up out of sync, because I can't see how TV firmware would muck up decoding on one two minute file but be fine for the next 60. Potentially the source is 24fps but the Apple TV thinks it's 60, so isn't doing 3:2 pulldown properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 10263 Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got the update and I have the smartcast and roku P+ to use as a comparison. So I got Dolby vision support for both vudu (coco) and Netflix through smartcast. Prime is supporting 4K resolution but not hdr for SOME prime originals (MINTHC), but not for 4K movies I own in my video library (Coco) through smartcast. Prime is supporting 4K and hdr on the P+ but only hdr10 for Netflix. I don’t use vudu with my roku because I’m maxed out on the # of devices.

As an aside, I just want to say that I prefer using the roku when I can (except for Netflix and Vudu because of Dolby vision support). I generally find that casting is slower for me even though everything is hard wired through the same network switch. I feel like it sometimes takes forever for the smartcast apps to reach 1080p after starting at 480p. It can also be glitchy at times. Just my two cents!

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR353 || Xbox One S || Apple TV 4k
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-SR373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Mitsubishi WD-82738 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Roku Premiere+
post #9935 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 AM

Okay, well I tried out my vizio m75-e1, which also got the update and it's all screwed up. I keep getting network connection errors and the vudu button on my remote no longer workers. Thanks a lot, Vizio....

post #9936 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
Okay, well I tried out my vizio m75-e1, which also got the update and it's all screwed up. I keep getting network connection errors and the vudu button on my remote no longer workers. Thanks a lot, Vizio....
Performing a soft power cycle seems to have fixed some of it.

post #9937 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 AM

Prime appears to be supporting 4k and hdr on the M75-E1 for MITHC, but the M70-D3 did not. So it appears that the update may not have provided amazon hdr certification for these models equally. Movies in my video library are still not playing in 4k or hdr on either tv. Vudu on the M75-E1 also supports 4k and Dolby Vision. LAST post of the day, I swear!

Quote:
I got the update and I have the smartcast and roku P+ to use as a comparison. So I got Dolby vision support for both vudu (coco) and Netflix through smartcast. Prime is supporting 4K resolution but not hdr for SOME prime originals (MINTHC), but not for 4K movies I own in my video library (Coco) through smartcast. Prime is supporting 4K and hdr on the P+ but only hdr10 for Netflix. I don’t use vudu with my roku because I’m maxed out on the # of devices.

As an aside, I just want to say that I prefer using the roku when I can (except for Netflix and Vudu because of Dolby vision support). I generally find that casting is slower for me even though everything is hard wired through the same network switch. I feel like it sometimes takes forever for the smartcast apps to reach 1080p after starting at 480p. It can also be glitchy at times. Just my two cents!

post #9938 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Prime appears to be supporting 4k and hdr on the M75-E1 for MITHC, but the M70-D3 did not. So it appears that the update may not have provided amazon hdr certification for these models equally. Movies in my video library are still not playing in 4k or hdr on either tv. Vudu on the M75-E1 also supports 4k and Dolby Vision. LAST post of the day, I swear!
2016 M series did not get Amazon certification per Vizio support on Reddit. Posted firmware notes do not make this distinction. I have not gotten back to them on this as yet but will.

Display: Vizio M55D0
Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
post #9939 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskateaudiophile View Post
News is out that Amazon will enable Alexa for Vizio smartcast including HDR support.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300592138.html
Should we assume that there's a new FW update coming to support this? Maybe HDR support will finally show up. That's what I'm thinking!! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
@sonoftumble , just wondering if new firmware has hit your Vizio, and if you've seen anything funky quirks with your sdr, dolbyv/ hdr10 calibrations... I used to to brightness on DV at 49-50.. but now that's crushed... I have to up to 60 and that's right before it starts looking grey washout look via lg Blu-ray .. Vudu still no Dolby v
post #9940 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 172
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ogle-home.html

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #9941 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing but horrible issues with this firmware. Google Cast is constantly crashing in spite of soft and hard (pull the plug) power resets. Last night, couldn't make it longer than 10 minutes into streaming an NHL game from desktop or mobile device to the TV. App on TV would freeze, give an error, then when backing out to the home screen on the TV would get stuck in an infinite "Google Cast is starting up" screen.

Today, trying to watch something on Hulu using the internal app on the TV, we're experiencing the same issue.

Network monitoring tools show nothing wrong on the network end. TV is currently fairly useless as we are a 100% Cast family.
post #9942 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
I'm using this. Cheap and it works great for my M70

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think the Phillips Hue Light Strip would be better, because it can sync to an audio or video source, in fact SyFy Channel used to have an app to do exactly this for some shows...

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue...base/719015548

Info on *how*:
http://huetips.com/tutorials/how-to-...ic-and-movies/
post #9943 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 PM

Ok, these are misleading in light of the reported lack of HDR for M 2016 models?! I have M80-D3...

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US
post #9944 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
I think the Phillips Hue Light Strip would be better, because it can sync to an audio or video source, in fact SyFy Channel used to have an app to do exactly this for some shows...

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue...base/719015548

Info on *how*:

http://huetips.com/tutorials/how-to-...ic-and-movies/

This is pretty cool thanks for posting that

post #9945 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliFTW View Post
Ok, so since I posted this, the YouTube TV app is now gone from the SmartCast app choices. No idea WTF Vizio is doing here...

Any thoughts about this issue and my prior question would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hook up an Apple TV 4K and you have your YouTube TV!
post #9946 of 10263 Old 04-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Oxtra View Post
Does the M65-do support Bluetooth headphones? If not is a BT transmitter the best way to connect headphones to the TV?
You can use an Apple TV 4K to do this...
post #9947 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
You can use an Apple TV 4K to do this...
The remote on the apple tv 4k is garbage. Got one for free with directvnow and immediately sold it. Bought a roku ultra AND premiere+ on mercari for just over $100. Smartcast has been slow and glitchy for me but I still use it to cast netflix and vudu because of dolby vision. Otherwise, I use the rokus for amazon, hulu, sling/directvnow, and youtube.

post #9948 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Hook up an Apple TV 4K and you have your YouTube TV!
I'm using a Roku Ultra now, but would love to know why this app appeared and disappeared. The lack of communication from Vizio since Matt left has really been disappointing.
post #9949 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
2016 M series did not get Amazon certification per Vizio support on Reddit. Posted firmware notes do not make this distinction. I have not gotten back to them on this as yet but will.
It would be nice to know if they are "working on it" or this is just a: 2016 M-series owners are just SOL type situation. It sounds to me like Amazon are being their usual little ******* selves and not giving certification because it lacks WCG.
post #9950 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Input issues

Here's another issue to add to the list for the new firmware. I have my cable box connected via Component1. Now, when everything first powers on, the Component1 input says there's no signal. A switch to another input and back will correct it, but it's highly annoying.

Looks like the wheels came off the wagon on this firmware.

Dave
post #9951 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman100 View Post
Here's another issue to add to the list for the new firmware. I have my cable box connected via Component1. Now, when everything first powers on, the Component1 input says there's no signal. A switch to another input and back will correct it, but it's highly annoying.

Dave
I have had issues like this with Google Fiber TV & HDMI for many months before the latest firmware. If GFTV turns on after anything else, its generally OK. You can switch inputs or power cycle GFTV box. No issues with more CEC friendly boxes like disk players or Roku. Never quite got any Harmony remote to add enough delay. Did this work well before firmware update? I gave up on using Component input from old but gooddie Denon DVD player because newer Denon DV compatible receiver no longer upscaled component like the previous one.

Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
post #9952 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman100 View Post

Dave

I have had this issue for quite a while. With Playstation or bluray player if either one is in its startup phase when I turn the tv to that specific input it reads "no signal" and I have to switch off of that input and back to it for it to come up.

post #9953 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
It would be nice to know if they are "working on it" or this is just a: 2016 M-series owners are just SOL type situation. It sounds to me like Amazon are being their usual little ******* selves and not giving certification because it lacks WCG.
I posted back on Reddit subforum yesterday and have not received an reply much less an answer. It may take a new topic????

post #9954 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Does the M65-do support Bluetooth headphones? If not is a BT transmitter the best way to connect headphones to the TV?
Any thoughts?
post #9955 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I have had issues like this with Google Fiber TV & HDMI for many months before the latest firmware. If GFTV turns on after anything else, its generally OK. You can switch inputs or power cycle GFTV box. No issues with more CEC friendly boxes like disk players or Roku. Never quite got any Harmony remote to add enough delay. Did this work well before firmware update? I gave up on using Component input from old but gooddie Denon DVD player because newer Denon DV compatible receiver no longer upscaled component like the previous one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
I have had this issue for quite a while. With Playstation or bluray player if either one is in its startup phase when I turn the tv to that specific input it reads "no signal" and I have to switch off of that input and back to it for it to come up.

Yeah, it worked fine before the firmware update. Going to change the order in which things power on in the Harmony and see if that makes any difference. Just annoying.

I'm still using Component as I have a Slingbox attached to the cable box so I can watch TV and recorded shows on my iPad. Slingbox doesn't support HDCP so it won't work with HDMI and the Cisco cable box only allows component when there's nothing plugged into the HDMI port. Once it is, component is disabled. So frustrating.

Dave
post #9956 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post
I'm using this one. It was suggested by another member on this forum, and if you search the forum you can find additional suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
I like that it is actually 6500K. Have you found anywhere that lists the CRI?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #9957 of 10263 Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Any thoughts?
BT can have pretty bad latency. If you do go with a BT setup, make sure it has aptx. I have a set of wireless home theater headphones plugged into the optical output from the TV. It outputs sound no matter if its the built in system or an external box.
post #9958 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got YouTube back as a native app within Vizio Smart Cast (2016 M55-D0). However, its only 4K, not HDR.
If the TV is able to play both 4K and HDR, why aren't all the inbuilt apps playing it? Netflix and Vudo do HDR, but Amazon and YouTube can't. Vudu used to do DV, but now its stuck on HDR10 after the upgrade. Why do we have to use external players to make use of all features of the TV?
post #9959 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
BT can have pretty bad latency. If you do go with a BT setup, make sure it has aptx. I have a set of wireless home theater headphones plugged into the optical output from the TV. It outputs sound no matter if its the built in system or an external box.
My soundbar goes through optical, so I guess I'll go with BT. Thanks
post #9960 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I know there's been a lot of back and forth about the Amazon HDR certification and as of a few nights ago after my display updated I checked and did NOT have HDR on Amazon from the couple shows I checked. However, after reading the posts on here finally decided to see what Vizio was saying about this release as one poster showed the M80 which was under a different group of displays...I'm gonna check again this evening when I get home, but as per Vizio 4.0.23.2 Release notes 2016 and 2017 M55's & M65's should have gotten Amazon HDR. Just don't see why they would release this information officially on their website and it be false.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page