Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 333 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #9961 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
The remote on the apple tv 4k is garbage. Got one for free with directvnow and immediately sold it. Bought a roku ultra AND premiere+ on mercari for just over $100. Smartcast has been slow and glitchy for me but I still use it to cast netflix and vudu because of dolby vision. Otherwise, I use the rokus for amazon, hulu, sling/directvnow, and youtube.
My gut is that you don't like anything Apple. No one unloads the best streamer box on the planet, unless there's some kind of anti-Apple bias in the works. Otherwise, it's kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The remote is not garbage, nor is it difficult to operate.
Ryan1 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolor78 View Post
@sonoftumble , just wondering if new firmware has hit your Vizio, and if you've seen anything funky quirks with your sdr, dolbyv/ hdr10 calibrations... I used to to brightness on DV at 49-50.. but now that's crushed... I have to up to 60 and that's right before it starts looking grey washout look via lg Blu-ray .. Vudu still no Dolby v
I've been so busy with work, I haven't had time to run any scans. I'm hoping to get to it next week. My LG OLED has kind of taken over so I haven't been watching the Vizio as much.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #9963 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
My gut is that you don't like anything Apple. No one unloads the best streamer box on the planet, unless there's some kind of anti-Apple bias in the works. Otherwise, it's kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I have an older iPhone and iPad 2. I’ll admit that I’m ticked that my iPad 2 is no longer supported on some apps but I love my 6s+. I really just don’t like that scrolly pad or that it doesn’t have shortcuts for apps. I get Dolby vision on Netflix and vudu through smartcast so I’d rather have two hdr-capable rokus with superior remotes for streaming sling, and amazon and Hulu in hdr. But that’s just me. I got the Apple TV through the directvnow promotion so not like I had a lot invested.
sonoftumble likes this.

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR353 || Xbox One S || Apple TV 4k
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-SR373 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k
Mitsubishi WD-82738 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9964 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
You can use an Apple TV 4K to do this...
I'm not sure how this would help. I either use google cast for streaming, , my cable Box for live sports/ TV content or my consoles for entertainment. A BT transitter and headset is a decent solution for now
post #9965 of 10263 Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlp3D View Post
I know there's been a lot of back and forth about the Amazon HDR certification and as of a few nights ago after my display updated I checked and did NOT have HDR on Amazon from the couple shows I checked. However, after reading the posts on here finally decided to see what Vizio was saying about this release as one poster showed the M80 which was under a different group of displays...I'm gonna check again this evening when I get home, but as per Vizio 4.0.23.2 Release notes 2016 and 2017 M55's & M65's should have gotten Amazon HDR. Just don't see why they would release this information officially on their website and it be false.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I posted about this a couple of days on the Reddit thread. I was told before the Update notes were posted that the 2016 M-series would not be Amazon HDR certified. I think this is just another Vizio example of poor oversight and all-around communication. But I have not received any response to the latest inquiry about this discrepancy. I would suggest that others bring this up in new topic on Reddit.
wlp3D likes this.

Display: Vizio M55D0
Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
post #9966 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Well this is exciting. Looks like we're all getting another (hopefully better) firmware update. Maybe the new firmware update will provide hdr certification for amazon for the 2016 models.

"The interface was a bit laggy last year, so I’m hoping that Vizio made some optimizations and refinements there. This year’s software also adds universal search. All 2016 and 2017 TVs will be upgraded to the latest version of the SmartCast OS beginning today on a rolling basis."

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...s-release-date

Anyone know how to force the tv to update? Would resetting the tv to factory default do the trick?

post #9967 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Well this is exciting. Looks like we're all getting another (hopefully better) firmware update. Maybe the new firmware update will provide hdr certification for amazon for the 2016 models.

"The interface was a bit laggy last year, so I’m hoping that Vizio made some optimizations and refinements there. This year’s software also adds universal search. All 2016 and 2017 TVs will be upgraded to the latest version of the SmartCast OS beginning today on a rolling basis."

Anyone know how to force the tv to update? Would resetting the tv to factory default do the trick?

Only thing you can do is go in to system information and select "check for update"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9968 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I still have not received any update to my last Reddit Prime HDR query for 2016 M-Series. Will hang out a few days and let some of this dust clear before pushing buttons again. The "Coming Soon" and updated Smartcast screenshot on Vizio website looks like an hierarchical setup that could improve the use model. 100 channels? I am not holding my breath. My M55D0 is working pretty well now except for Prime HDR. Would like to keep it that way. I don't want a P-series experience. LOL.
Jacksomkesoplenty likes this.

Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
post #9969 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great news! I will finally be able to run a full calibration to accommodate the fixes to DV among other things!! As far as getting the TV to load the new firmware, either download from Vizio's website ( I realize that it may not be posted yet ) or use the "Check for Updates" function under Settings/System. You could also try the "Service Request" function and then power off the TV. Otherwise you need to wait for Vizio to roll out to your particular group - however that is determined by Vizio.

Great news either way.
wlp3D likes this.

post #9970 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Question on the HDMI ports on 2016 M-series:

Is HDMI 1 the only port capable of ARC AND the only one capable of 4K rec 2020 at 60 Hz (ie HDMI 2.0)?? I'm using HDMI 1 for ARC so I guess I'm just SOL if thats the case. HDMI 5 also has the option to turn on UHD subsampling but I still don't get the option of 2160p60 at rec 2020 like I do after testing HDMI 1.
post #9971 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskateaudiophile View Post
I still have not received any update to my last Reddit Prime HDR query for 2016 M-Series. Will hang out a few days and let some of this dust clear before pushing buttons again. The "Coming Soon" and updated Smartcast screenshot on Vizio website looks like an hierarchical setup that could improve the use model. 100 channels? I am not holding my breath. My M55D0 is working pretty well now except for Prime HDR. Would like to keep it that way. I don't want a P-series experience. LOL.
You really shouldn't, because thats just Pluto TV integrated into the display. They pretty much just aggregate a bunch of free streaming services/app and stream them as if it was live TV (they do have a bit of very low demand sports that is actually live).
post #9972 of 10263 Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
You really shouldn't, because thats just Pluto TV integrated into the display. They pretty much just aggregate a bunch of free streaming services/app and stream them as if it was live TV (they do have a bit of very low demand sports that is actually live).
Think I went inside Pluto once or twice when it was new and was not impressed. If they are counting channels in that mode then this new "feature" is just propaganda. We will know in time-----Vizio's time. They should play Minnesota Select AAU basketball tournaments so I can watch my grandson play his last year in that venue from our Kansas local. That would be winner in our house. LOL

Edit: Update. lobosrul; I went back and went looked at the existing Smartcast aggregator apps and they are all difficult to manuver in and have very little content I would ever be interested in. If that is what Vizio is going to give us as a new wow feature for wana-be-cord-cutters I can pass. My Google Fiber TV is $$$ but is high quality and wife likes the DVR. I have done the trial on VUE app as it met our minimum channel desires and the DVR sucks badly. No forward/reverse window. And most of these DVR's substitute lower-rez copy after short time. Vizio needs to provide mechanism to move SmartCast icons and let Plex stream higher quality audio. I imagine most folks on these forums have multiple streamers. You have to so you can overcome the silly limitations that occur in any one source.

Last edited by cheapskateaudiophile; 04-11-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Update
post #9973 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my 65" Vizio went out again, 3rd one now in 3 years. Squaretrade us offering me this TV as a replacement and I'm going to say no. That being said, what TV would you fight for that is a 65" Vizio currently offered that's somewhat comparable?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #9974 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Damn... 3rd one in 3 years? I should've bought the warranty. Is it too late? The ones without the warranty were purchased at Best Buy less than a year ago. I think I heard somewhere that I can still purchase a warranty at costco even if the tv was purchased somewhere else... but I'm not sure if I'm too late.

post #9975 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn... 3rd one in 3 years? I should've bought the warranty. Is it too late? The ones without the warranty were purchased at Best Buy less than a year ago. I think I heard somewhere that I can still purchase a warranty at costco even if the tv was purchased somewhere else... but I'm not sure if I'm too late.
Yes this sucks, but warranty has sure paid off.
David Biagas likes this.
post #9976 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Yeah I think you are right. My previous setting was indeed quick start and when I did the new FW update I left it at ECO mode. Thanks for the clarification!
Any issues with it not shutting off? I have it set at Eco and they stay on. They will click off for a second then come back on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #9977 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Old post, I know. But, you could call me an Apple fanboy based on what I've purchased.

Yes, the Apple TV remote is garbage. The touch sensitivity goes from 0-100, so it doesn't register what you're doing and then suddenly flies off the handle far beyond what you intended. It doesn't make any sense for it to be so bad given how exceptional their laptop touchpads and iPhone/iPad screens are.
David Biagas likes this.
post #9978 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
Any issues with it not shutting off? I have it set at Eco and they stay on. They will click off for a second then come back on.

My bias light stays in also. Bummed about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9979 of 10263 Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometa View Post
Old post, I know. But, you could call me an Apple fanboy based on what I've purchased.

Yes, the Apple TV remote is garbage. The touch sensitivity goes from 0-100, so it doesn't register what you're doing and then suddenly flies off the handle far beyond what you intended. It doesn't make any sense for it to be so bad given how exceptional their laptop touchpads and iPhone/iPad screens are.
Your opinion.

It's more likely that you have a defective remote. I assume that you kept the AppleTV . . . or did you also throw out the baby with the bath water?

This is my third AppleTV with the current touchpad style controller. ( 2 Gen 4's, 1 Gen 5 ) I have no complaints with these remotes. The action on the touchpad is smooth and very consistent. There are also settings that will reduce the tracking sensitivity, ( assuming the remote is working properly ). I also have an iPhone, and I run the "Remote" app ( by Apple ) which has a wonderful touch pad experience with full Siri integration. Plenty of options.

My opinion . . . the remote is not garbage, and certainly not "bad" enough to justify dumping the best streaming box on the market for an inferior competing product.

That was pretty much my point all along.
Ryan1 and wlp3D like this.

post #9980 of 10263 Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post

Nope it would stay off. I decided to go back to quick start as I wasnt a fan of the slower eco boot up. Kind of messed with my denon/harmony set up enough to annoy.
post #9981 of 10263 Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Nope it would stay off. I decided to go back to quick start as I wasnt a fan of the slower eco boot up. Kind of messed with my denon/harmony set up enough to annoy.
Mine wouldn't stay off, and I switched back anyway for the same reason, it messed with the timing of the Harmony remote.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #9982 of 10263 Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Your opinion.

It's more likely that you have a defective remote. I assume that you kept the AppleTV . . . or did you also throw out the baby with the bath water?

This is my third AppleTV with the current touchpad style controller. ( 2 Gen 4's, 1 Gen 5 ) I have no complaints with these remotes. The action on the touchpad is smooth and very consistent. There are also settings that will reduce the tracking sensitivity, ( assuming the remote is working properly ). I also have an iPhone, and I run the "Remote" app ( by Apple ) which has a wonderful touch pad experience with full Siri integration. Plenty of options.

My opinion . . . the remote is not garbage, and certainly not "bad" enough to justify dumping the best streaming box on the market for an inferior competing product.

That was pretty much my point all along.

"My gut is that you don't like anything Apple. No one unloads the best streamer box on the planet, unless there's some kind of anti-Apple bias in the works. Otherwise, it's kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

The remote is not garbage, nor is it difficult to operate."

It's kind of hard to take your opinion seriously when you call people biased yet refer to a product as the "best thing since sliced bread" on more than one occasion lol

Edit: And I dumped it for not 1, but TWO, "inferior" rokus. As far as I can tell, the only thing the apple tv really had going for it was DV. As I mentioned, I already get that through the vudu and netflix shortcuts on the vizio remote. Not really worth hanging onto it with that crappy remote (my opinion).

Last edited by David Biagas; 04-13-2018 at 11:48 AM.
post #9983 of 10263 Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"My gut is that you don't like anything Apple. No one unloads the best streamer box on the planet, unless there's some kind of anti-Apple bias in the works. Otherwise, it's kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

It's kind of hard to take your opinion seriously when you call people biased yet refer to a product as the "best thing since sliced bread" on more than one occasion lol

Edit: And I dumped it for not 1, but TWO, "inferior" rokus. As far as I can tell, the only thing the apple tv really had going for it was DV. As I mentioned, I already get that through the vudu and netflix shortcuts on the vizio remote. Not really worth hanging onto it with that crappy remote (my opinion).
O.K. Mr. Crankypants - you win - enjoy your Roku's.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the widest selection of $6 4K/HDR/DV rentals ONLY available in the iTunes Movie store.

And, it's not just my opinion: "The Apple TV 4K delivers the best streaming video available to compatible 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision TVs. It offers the most polished streaming experience today, the best remote on the market and excellent Siri voice options." David Katzmaier, CNET. ( and he's not the only reviewer with the same "bias" ) https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-tv-4k/review/

post #9984 of 10263 Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quit bickering about apple products. This is a thread for Vizio 2016 M Series display's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9985 of 10263 Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
Quit bickering about apple products. This is a thread for Vizio 2016 M Series display's.

People discuss all sorts of stuff that's related to this TV here, including cables, HDMI adapters, remotes, streaming boxes, etc.... It's generally fine, as is this exchange. Not every comment is relevant and not every comments is of value to everyone -- just ignore the ones you don't find useful.

I happened to agree with sonoftumble, the Apple remote is arguably the best streaming box remote I have used, and ATV is the best streamer currently on the market, IMO. Roku is fine, but it has all the UI design elegance of a La-Z-Boy, and its remote goes with it.

Either way, a streaming box addresses virtually all app and interface issues people have with this TV set, and it's an addition well worth the extra cost for many.

Cheers.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #9986 of 10263 Old 04-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post

People discuss all sorts of stuff that's related to this TV here, including cables, HDMI adapters, remotes, streaming boxes, etc.... It's generally fine, as is this exchange. Not every comment is relevant and not every comments is of value to everyone -- just ignore the ones you don't find useful.

I happened to agree with sonoftumble, the Apple remote is arguably the best streaming box remote I have used, and ATV is the best streamer currently on the market, IMO. Roku is fine, but it has all the UI design elegance of a La-Z-Boy, and its remote goes with it.

Either way, a streaming box addresses virtually all app and interface issues people have with this TV set, and it's an addition well worth the extra cost for many.

Cheers.
Double like! With the smartcast software these TVs ship with, its impossible to not discuss streamers at some point. To each their own but I agree that the roku GUI leaves much to be desired aesthetically. In terms of function, it does the job for me though. I personally don’t like the remote on the Apple TV and didn’t like the one on its predecessor (which IMO was way worse). I looked up some reviews and others have complained of it as well. By and large, most seem to like the Apple TV though so maybe it’s just my fat fingers lol Anyhow, glad that you’re enjoying it!
Ryan1 likes this.

post #9987 of 10263 Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

It's kind of hard to take your opinion seriously when you call people biased yet refer to a product as the "best thing since sliced bread" on more than one occasion lol [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

O.K. Mr. Crankypants - you win - enjoy your Roku's.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the widest selection of $6 4K/HDR/DV rentals ONLY available in the iTunes Movie store. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

And, it's not just my opinion: "The Apple TV 4K delivers the best streaming video available to compatible 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision TVs. It offers the most polished streaming experience today, the best remote on the market and excellent Siri voice options." David Katzmaier, CNET. ( and he's not the only reviewer with the same "bias" ) https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-tv-4k/review/
Just went to the iTunes Store on my phone and noticed that a bunch of my hd movies that ported over did so in hdr or Dolby vision.... 😭.... I was aware that iTunes did this but I kind of wish I had an Apple TV now (despite the crappy remote) lol
Ryan1 likes this.

post #9988 of 10263 Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

Great news! I will finally be able to run a full calibration to accommodate the fixes to DV among other things!! As far as getting the TV to load the new firmware, either download from Vizio's website ( I realize that it may not be posted yet ) or use the "Check for Updates" function under Settings/System. You could also try the "Service Request" function and then power off the TV. Otherwise you need to wait for Vizio to roll out to your particular group - however that is determined by Vizio.

Great news either way. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Wow you guys must really be enjoying those apple 4k streamers, just out of curiosity, what colorspace is being used on them? And is it able to do HDR without 2020 for Netflix/ amazon...? That's the issue I'm having with Nvidia shield tv... Love it's user interface, but awaiting some sort of auto switch on colorspace.... Also @sonoftumble .. you mentioned getting into full calibrations for DV.. can you elaborate .. I thought your previous DV settings we're good.. but last firmware really did some wierd changes on my m65.. hope ur new found calibrations works it's magic
post #9989 of 10263 Old 04-22-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Facing an issue casting Tidal from phone or chrome browser on PC to Vizio m55 TV. The audio cuts for two or three seconds every few minutes. Anyone faced this problem, please help out with the solution.
post #9990 of 10263 Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Panel failure again?

I had my 70" M replaced last summer for panel failure. Now my replacement model seems to be doing the same thing. It started with a zone on the middle left and extends out to the center. Another area just above it began afterward. It's not as bad as the set I replaced, but this definitely didn't have this until recently. I attached pictures showing the original zone and the other one shows the second area forming above it. Both are with pure white test patterns.

I'm out of warranty, but I do have extended protection until October via my credit card. Anyone have experience with doing a TV claim via credit card extended warranty (in this case, it's Discover). Should I wait and see if this worsens before submitting a claim?

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	862.4 KB
ID:	2394506   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	715.1 KB
ID:	2394508  
Sponsored Links