Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5368Likes

post #10291 of 10300 Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1971 View Post
I am having the same issue with mine. I thought this was a great deal at the time and have enjoyed using the TV. But now I have 2 dark (shaded) looking areas on the screen. They are not always noticeable, but very noticeable when the screen is mostly a solid, light color. Very disappointed now and will probably not purchase Vizio in the future.

Mine looks very similar to your screen shot. It may be getting worse, I can't tell, but it's noticeable. I'm going to dig out my Square Trade and see what they can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10300 Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJeff View Post
Count me among those who are having the backlight issue on the M70-D3. It's dimming now at a fast rate so going to have to replace only after 2 year, 2 months. Never will I purchase from Vizio again.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago. Anyone know what to do with a 70" POS TV? I hate trying to sell something I know will only get worse.
disassemble the tv with a regular and small phillips screw driver, once you have sucessfully done that without breaking the glass panel look and see how many of these $16 led strips have failed... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-M70-D...sAAOSwPoZaxmLF order replacements and replace.. then reassemble the tv and then the most important step is to never turn the backlighting setting on the tv all the way up again by using modes like sports or vivid which will cause this to happen all over again. Most cheaper led tv now have a 3000hr life expectancy when the backlighing is at max brightness and unfortunatly most of the tv come set this way from the factory. I prefer to find a complete new set of led strips from ebay or shopjimmy and do them all at once to essentially double the life of the tv without having another strip fail 6 month later.

Ive repaired about a dozen of these 60 and 70" vizios and at least 2 dozen of the 42 and 47" versions with the LG led strips this way now. LED and failed buffer chips on the side of the sharp made lcd panels making half the screen go dim then the whole picture being lost taking out the tcon boards are the most common failures. Both can be repaired and I have 4 of these vizios hanging in my bar that failed this way before I repaired them. Most led tv are wired like christmas lights so when one led shorts open the tv goes black... You should be glad this tv isnt wired the way most are and you still have a picture at all. samsung tv have less led failures out of all the tvs ive repaired (at least a couple hundred tvs by now) most vizios are built using LG components and the larger tvs use a mix of sharp panels and tcons with varios led setups but the edgelit led tv are far superior for lifespan. that said the newer the cheaper tv the shorter the lifespan and Ive seen some of the super cheap sets like the TCL sets that are even assembled with a hot glue gun to try to prevent repair.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-06-2020 at 06:29 AM.
post #10293 of 10300 Old 03-10-2020, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJeff View Post
Count me among those who are having the backlight issue on the M70-D3. It's dimming now at a fast rate so going to have to replace only after 2 year, 2 months. Never will I purchase from Vizio again.

This photo was taken a few weeks ago. Anyone know what to do with a 70" POS TV? I hate trying to sell something I know will only get worse.
disassemble the tv with a regular and small phillips screw driver, once you have sucessfully done that without breaking the glass panel look and see how many of these $16 led strips have failed... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-M70-D...sAAOSwPoZaxmLF order replacements and replace.. then reassemble the tv and then the most important step is to never turn the backlighting setting on the tv all the way up again by using modes like sports or vivid which will cause this to happen all over again. Most cheaper led tv now have a 3000hr life expectancy when the backlighing is at max brightness and unfortunatly most of the tv come set this way from the factory. I prefer to find a complete new set of led strips from ebay or shopjimmy and do them all at once to essentially double the life of the tv without having another strip fail 6 month later.

Ive repaired about a dozen of these 60 and 70" vizios and at least 2 dozen of the 42 and 47" versions with the LG led strips this way now. LED and failed buffer chips on the side of the sharp made lcd panels making half the screen go dim then the whole picture being lost taking out the tcon boards are the most common failures. Both can be repaired and I have 4 of these vizios hanging in my bar that failed this way before I repaired them. Most led tv are wired like christmas lights so when one led shorts open the tv goes black... You should be glad this tv isnt wired the way most are and you still have a picture at all. samsung tv have less led failures out of all the tvs ive repaired (at least a couple hundred tvs by now) most vizios are built using LG components and the larger tvs use a mix of sharp panels and tcons with varios led setups but the edgelit led tv are far superior for lifespan. that said the newer the cheaper tv the shorter the lifespan and Ive seen some of the super cheap sets like the TCL sets that are even assembled with a hot glue gun to try to prevent repair.
Thanks for sharing this useful info with us!! Looks like the tv has 16 of these... I’m going to wait til they’re all back in stock at shop jimmy and just replace them all for $110!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A531CBED-55BB-4E1D-8235-1F016DCC7F15_1583863235250.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2695898  
augiedoggy likes this.

Optoma UHL55 || Marantz SR6013 & Crown XLI1500 || Panasonic UB420 || Apple TV 4k || DCM 7.2.4 setup
Vizio M70-D3 || Marantz SR6012 & Onkyo M282s || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM 7.2.4 setup
Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || LG UBK80 || Apple TV 4k || DCM 3.2 setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10294 of 10300 Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

thanks for the info and advice.... unfortunately if its like this video,
then this type of repair is out of my comfort range... though obviously if the dim spots make the TV unwatchable then what do i have to lose... not at that point yet
post #10295 of 10300 Old 03-10-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post
thanks for the info and advice.... unfortunately if its like this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7iNYFAgIA then this type of repair is out of my comfort range... though obviously if the dim spots make the TV unwatchable then what do i have to lose... not at that point yet
Yeah it may be a lot of steps to follow for some, there are a lot of people that will tackle something like this for around $40 labor.. at least thats what I usually charge.
post #10296 of 10300 Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello everyone. Sadly, My Vizio M65 D0 only power on and then after the vizio logo , the message something went wrong appear. Then, after the message, only appears random backgrounds. The only working function on the remote control and the tv is the power button. No volume, no menu, nothing.... trying disconnect the power, then the soft cycle, nothing.... please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viziotv1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	2707304   Click image for larger version

Name:	viziotv2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2707306  
post #10297 of 10300 Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 12
about the m70 d3 being tuner free. I am giving the TV to my parents. They watch over the air TV only, no cable, but they do streaming youtube, vudu, Netflix. But they need their over the Air TV.

They use a digital converter Box that was required a few years ago for digital signals. It connects via coaxial. Will this be enough to get over the air TV on the vizio?

if not what do I need to buy to get them over the air TV ? Preferably from Best buy so I can pick it up today.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10298 of 10300 Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
about the m70 d3 being tuner free. I am giving the TV to my parents. They watch over the air TV only, no cable, but they do streaming youtube, vudu, Netflix. But they need their over the Air TV.

They use a digital converter Box that was required a few years ago for digital signals. It connects via coaxial. Will this be enough to get over the air TV on the vizio?

if not what do I need to buy to get them over the air TV ? Preferably from Best buy so I can pick it up today.

Thanks

I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’ll need a new digital converter box.

Optoma UHL55 || Marantz SR6013 & Crown XLI1500 || Panasonic UB420 || Apple TV 4k || DCM 7.2.4 setup
Vizio M70-D3 || Marantz SR6012 & Onkyo M282s || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM 7.2.4 setup
post #10299 of 10300 Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’ll need a new digital converter box.

got it thx, guess i need to buy one tomorrow. I didn’t know x box had a tv tuner.. thx

post #10300 of 10300 Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
I use a digital converter box, TiVo, and the Xbox tuner on my vizios... the converter box will work if it has an hdmi/component output. Otherwise, they’️ll need a new digital converter box.

got it thx, guess i need to buy one tomorrow. I didn’️t know x box had a tv tuner.. thx

Yeah, you can add the hauppauge to the USB port....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page