Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #1081 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
so i just did a search on this thread for "banding" and there was one result....and it was guy saying there was no banding. is the general consensus that there arent banding concerns with this tv? im starting to realize im super sensitive to screen uniformity issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
The only HDR-10 content I've viewed on my M70-D3 is from the Samsung 8500 player with 4K/HDR movies. To my eyes at least, while I can see a slight difference between HDR and non-HDR (by switching Color Subsampling on/off in HDMI1), it is hardly an "OMG" improvement. In some cases, in fact, I prefer non-HDR.
with the M series you can expect that. you would have to step up to P series to see big difference between SDR and HDR.
post #1083 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
You ask that like there are better settings. If there are, please share. I'm willing to learn (it's in my signature z), but compared to what things were when I first set things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on the info I've gathered from other sights regarding the tv settings for HDR, maxing out the backlight will produce optimal results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
You ask that like there are better settings. If there are, please share. I'm willing to learn (it's in my signature z), but compared to what things were when I first set things up.

You're supposed to leave backlight at 50 for DV.
I'm not sure on HDR 10

It's well documented in the P Series thread

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25

Last edited by b_rad4; 08-18-2016 at 08:24 PM.
post #1085 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Joined the ranks today - our ancient 42" Philips plasma in the family room bit the dust today (black vertical block dead) that according to the service manual meant replace the Panel..... Moved our 50" Samsung to that room and picked up an M70 for the living room where most of the watching is done.

It was tough deciding between the P65 and the M70 - after taping the outlines on the wall the wife agreed that the 70" looked "better", I pulled the trigger.

Great unit so far. Working on getting it dialed in but initial DirecTV, Netflix, and 4K Youtube looked good, great, and AWESOME.
post #1086 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
I'm not sure on HDR 10

I keep mine around 80 for HDR to help brighten the highlights, or else the image is too dim. However, I've been having a huge issue with some of the highlights looking cyan (no matter what the backlight setting is). Vizio is sending me a new one, thankfully.
post #1087 of 10276 Old 08-18-2016, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastson91 View Post
I keep mine around 80 for HDR to help brighten the highlights, or else the image is too dim. However, I've been having a huge issue with some of the highlights looking cyan (no matter what the backlight setting is). Vizio is sending me a new one, thankfully.

On the P they have been saying the best thing to do is lower the gamma to brighten the image

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #1088 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastson91 View Post

On the P they have been saying the best thing to do is lower the gamma to brighten the image
I've read that as well. However, I lose a bit of the blacks when I lower gamma. I find increasing the backlight will brighten my screen while maintaining shadows. How does your M series look when tweaking gamma?
post #1089 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I'm not sure on HDR 10

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it, but most things I watch are not DV and HDR. I'm have to set another picture setting.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1090 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought M70-D3 few months ago at Costco. A week later I bought Vizio SB3851-D0 sound bar at Costco. I connected M70 to SB using HDMI-ARC (as manual suggested for best sound) and everything was working great. At the end of July I disconnected everything because we had to move to the new house. When I connected everything at the new house the same way I started having an issue with the TV (or SB). Every 5-7 minutes it goes black (blinks) and audio is switching from SB to TV speakers. When I use optical cable for audio from TV to SB this issue doesn’t happen.

Are these audio dropouts that everybody is talking in this thread, or is it a different issue?

I have latest firmware on TV and SB.

Thanks
post #1091 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
I had the same issue, but for me it came down to size. 80" > smaller 75" P series or Sony/LG. I put the Vizio M next to our LG OLED and the OLED destroys the Vizio in all areas, so IMO you really aren't going to get a big step in PQ until you go to an OLED. Might as well go with the biggest size available (unless you can afford a 20k 77" OLED )
So you're saying that the M80-D3 will be the same pic quality as my current Sony?
post #1092 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I haven't seen any banding yet with good source content. But that's not related to screen uniformity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
so i just did a search on this thread for "banding" and there was one result....and it was guy saying there was no banding. is the general consensus that there arent banding concerns with this tv? im starting to realize im super sensitive to screen uniformity issues.
post #1093 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm thinking about buying this TV but use Sonos as my sound source. Does this TV transcode DTS to Dolby Digital or stereo? I know there are some TVs that do this and am hoping this higher end TV does it.
post #1094 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBradd View Post
I'm thinking about buying this TV but use Sonos as my sound source. Does this TV transcode DTS to Dolby Digital or stereo? I know there are some TVs that do this and am hoping this higher end TV does it.

I can't speak for the 2016 model. But I have a 2013 M80 and a 2015 M70. I use a Sonos sound bar on both and they send the full 5.1 over optical from all sources (HDMI and tv apps). I would assume the 2016 would do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1095 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasun View Post
I can't speak for the 2016 model. But I have a 2013 M80 and a 2015 M70. I use a Sonos sound bar on both and they send the full 5.1 over optical from all sources (HDMI and tv apps). I would assume the 2016 would do the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sweet, I would assume this model also does it then! My current Vizio (2012 ish) does not do it so this will be a welcome upgrade alone to get true 5.1 through to my Sonos on all sources. Thanks!
post #1096 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all - I haven't been to the AVS forums in quite some time. Over the years, it has been a great source for me when making new a/v purchases. I'm back this time for that very reason. I've just purchased the M65-D0 (received it earlier this week) along with their current 45", 5.1 sound bar audio solution. This config will be used in our bedroom. Connected to it, will be a DirecTV set top box (currently an older HD DVR, negotiating to replace my home 44 series genie with their newer 54 series 4k supported genie). I do know that Vizio is working on support for the DirecTV 4k Genie. I've just purchased the Roku 4 instead of the Amazon Fire TV because of the limited purpose of the Fire. I may also connect an Apple TV 4th gen. I will be using a wired ethernet connection to the tv.

Before posting today, I read this entire thread over the last 3-4 nights. I'm now broadly aware of the shortcomings of the HDMI ports and what they support, I realize HDR content is narrow at this point. However, I'd like to be sure I connect these devices in the most optimal way. If I'm correct, it doesn't seem that I'll get full 4k, HDR support from all of my input sources due to the limitations invoked by Vizio on the HDMI connections. That's why I'm here.

Could you help me determine the best method / HDMI port to connect each of the following:

- Vizio Soundbar / sub - why does this need to be on HDMI? Can't a fiber optic cable provide the same audio benefit?
- DirecTV receiver (assume 4k supported)
- Roku 4 (for 4k content)
- AppleTV

BTW, for the most part, the casting service has been working pretty well. I was using their tablet but last night decided to only use my iPhone (we are an iOS / MacOS house). It worked very well. We have been streaming the Olympics the last couple of nights. We have had a freeze a few times but the video stream restarted on its own (i chalk this up to my home network at the moment). We also watched Apex via Netflix last night. I'd say the PQ was pretty good. The Vizio casting app did show i was streaming at 4K with dolby digital and HDR. There weren't any issues with the stream even though I'm currently on Wifi.

What I must solve otherwise a deal breaker, is getting to a single device to switch inputs and control the input source. I have a few options but haven't investigated their ability yet. I do have an older Harmony One. I see some of you guys have solved this with the Harmony Hub. I also have a Ray remote in another room but will investigate its support for Vizio as well.

Thanks in advance!

David

Last edited by SteinyD; 08-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #1097 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Some impressions of the 80" M80 after a couple days...

bad phone pics-

The top picture is Star Wars in 21:9 with black bars and as you can see its near impossible to see where the screen ends on the bottom. The blacks on this TV are insane(this is coming from someone who also owns an LG OLED), some of the best Ive ever seen on a LCD. HDR10 looks ok on this set but nothing close to an OLED or even a really bright LCD. Played some HDR10 clips from a USB drive and they look good but once I plugged it into the OLED the contrast level and brightness make the Vizio look like ass. But you can't get an 80" OLED for $3800 so.....

+
Great black levels (even in a pitch black room)
Good colors once calibrated
Cheap
120hz @1080p for PC

-
No 4:4:4 Chroma
No glossy glass screen (would have helped a TON with color "pop")
Terrible remote/tablet: pain to use, requires updates, slow, etc...

Overall this is a steal of a TV at 80". Comparing vs an OLED it will look average, but if your budget can't afford an OLED, I don't think there is anything in its price range that can come close.
post #1098 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
zero banding or uniformity issues with my set
post #1099 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn1028 View Post
I will not get another 70", makes no sense, I prefer to go 80" and whichever I get I will mount it on the wall behind my current setup which will save me about 3 feet, hence viewing distance will be about 11 or so feet. My dilemma is the P75, or M80-D3. Is WCG THAT much of a difference. I am also one who wants the best, and will 64 more zones make THAT much more of a difference.
Yup - that's the question of the day. Most stores where I see one or the other often aren't playing the right content to show them off or show them side by side. I got a M70-D3 from Costco, loved the colors, s/w a bit buggy and don't care for the tablet, and was debating the same question. I ended up going with the M80-D3 from Costco, because hey it's costco - good returns and extended warrantee was super cheap. P75 should look a little better with a few more zones, and supposedly does HDR better too. Unclear on the "more colors" aspect. But P75 wasn't available through Costco, and if it sucked, getting it back to best buy or returned would be way too much hassle. Wish there was a P90 and M90-D3, then it'd be a real showdown!
post #1100 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
zero banding or uniformity issues with my set
what size is it?

edit: oh nevermind. 80" with no banding or uniformity issues is impressive.
post #1101 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl95403 View Post
Yup - that's the question of the day. Most stores where I see one or the other often aren't playing the right content to show them off or show them side by side. I got a M70-D3 from Costco, loved the colors, s/w a bit buggy and don't care for the tablet, and was debating the same question. I ended up going with the M80-D3 from Costco, because hey it's costco - good returns and extended warrantee was super cheap. P75 should look a little better with a few more zones, and supposedly does HDR better too. Unclear on the "more colors" aspect. But P75 wasn't available through Costco, and if it sucked, getting it back to best buy or returned would be way too much hassle. Wish there was a P90 and M90-D3, then it'd be a real showdown!
If there was a P80, i'd have the ol Visa out now.......so perplexed with this issue. This'll probably be my last tv, so i'm taking my time. Hey, let me ask this:
On Sundays my tv room has a skylight right above and the sun reflects off the screen. With that in mind, P75 or M 80?
post #1102 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If there was a P80, i'd have the ol Visa out now.......so perplexed with this issue. This'll probably be my last tv, so i'm taking my time. Hey, let me ask this:
On Sundays my tv room has a skylight right above and the sun reflects off the screen. With that in mind, P75 or M 80?
M80

IMO 5">extra FALD
post #1103 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yup! Sorry, can't help with this one, mines in the basement. Under the garage and cars. Wish it had a skylight! But I do notice distracting glare on the M70-D3 from the overhead lights when they're on. (~15 can lights with daylight LEDs) But I think that'd be a problem for me no matter the TV. Have you thought of a skylight shade? My mom has a remote control one on her ceiling and it really helps her with the heat ...
post #1104 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey all, first time poster. I recently picked up the 65" version. I have one problem I hope you guys can help me with. Here's my setup: blu-ray, cable using HDMI to TV, and TV hooked up to Yamaha VX-475 through ARC. I have AV3 configured to do the audio for ARC. No problems with cable or blu-ray. When I cast on the TV, it works great, everything is working. However if I play Netflix or HBO GO through it, I have to select a different input on my receiver and then switch back to AV3 for it to play. Then it plays fine no issues. If I pause Netflix or HBO Go, and hit play again, I have to do the same thing, change input and change it back to get audio. This same thing happens on the next episode of a show or selecting a different show on either app. YouTube works perfectly fine. I can switch, pause, restart, etc. and never lose audio. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm at loss. Thanks in advance.
post #1105 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher016 View Post
Hey all, first time poster. I recently picked up the 65" version. I have one problem I hope you guys can help me with. Here's my setup: blu-ray, cable using HDMI to TV, and TV hooked up to Yamaha VX-475 through ARC. I have AV3 configured to do the audio for ARC. No problems with cable or blu-ray. When I cast on the TV, it works great, everything is working. However if I play Netflix or HBO GO through it, I have to select a different input on my receiver and then switch back to AV3 for it to play. Then it plays fine no issues. If I pause Netflix or HBO Go, and hit play again, I have to do the same thing, change input and change it back to get audio. This same thing happens on the next episode of a show or selecting a different show on either app. YouTube works perfectly fine. I can switch, pause, restart, etc. and never lose audio. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm at loss. Thanks in advance.
Sorry clarification here, they play fine (video) I just have no audio unless I do the switch.
post #1106 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher016 View Post
Sorry clarification here, they play fine (video) I just have no audio unless I do the switch.
I've had similar issue with Netflix, Hulu and Youtube. I use the tablet and switch the TV input from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and back. This gets the sound back with picture and I don't have any problems with going from one episode to the next. Only if I pause will that cause the occasional hickup in sound or sound loss. It does not happen every single time. I've chalked it up as issues with casting over WiFi since we have like 30 things on our router over WiFi.

So I guess my answer to you is that it happens, not all the time and not consistent. I don't cast often so I can deal with it. Hoping they'll release an update and fix it. We have watched a handful of movies over cast and as long as I get sound working at the start of the movie, we have no issues after that clear to the end.
post #1107 of 10276 Old 08-19-2016, 11:08 PM

Liked: 4
This goes out for anyone with the same combo as me. Vizio M70-D3, AVR-S710W and the C61K DirecTV Genie. I really would like to get 4K working through the receiver.

If I hook up the Genie directly to the TV I get 4K and image looks great. If I run it through the AVR-S710W I can go to settings on the C61K Genie and under TV Resolution, I see all resolutions checked including 4K. On my old receiver the 4K option would say "not supported".

Now when I go to my 4K channels when running through the receiver I get a black screen and no sound. I've done updates and everything else, with checking all settings. I'm running out of options. Is there some special setting or something else on either piece of hardware ( AVR-S710W or C61K DirecTV Genie) that I am missing? The only reason I bought the Denon was because it has HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 but it doesn't seem to want to pass the 4K signal correctly.
post #1108 of 10276 Old 08-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Is there a tv-input button on your remote ?
post #1109 of 10276 Old 08-20-2016, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up the M70-d3 last night at best buy.

Feel like I'm divorcing LG since I only have had LG sets before.

However, I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Very good picture but still trying to figure everything out still (especially with the tablet) never owned an adroid.

I haven't hooked up a cable box or roku yet but did have to change the display settings right away. Unimpressed with the default settings and thought it looked pretty crappy compared to default on my LG60UB8200. Not super happy with the built in picture modes but easy to configure the display settings myself. Looks great now that I've done that.

Well anyway... Just stopping in to join the family
Chuck666 likes this.
post #1110 of 10276 Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl95403 View Post
Yup! Sorry, can't help with this one, mines in the basement. Under the garage and cars. Wish it had a skylight! But I do notice distracting glare on the M70-D3 from the overhead lights when they're on. (~15 can lights with daylight LEDs) But I think that'd be a problem for me no matter the TV. Have you thought of a skylight shade? My mom has a remote control one on her ceiling and it really helps her with the heat ...
Wow, never thought of that. BTW, how do you like the D3?.......

I think I"m gonna go with the P75

Last edited by bklyn1028; 08-20-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page