Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #1111 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What are the best motion settings you guys have found for sports like football and soccer? I hate the SOE for normal viewing, but don't mind it at all for sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrex View Post
What are the best motion settings you guys have found for sports like football and soccer? I hate the SOE for normal viewing, but don't mind it at all for sports.
+1. Want to know as well.........
post #1113 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey all,

I have been reading through this thread and the P series thread... I have the cutting out issues when using hdr on the TV m65-d0 with an Xbox one S. I have tried multiple cables with most being higher quality cables with no luck.
I don't see any posts with this issue in the P series thread, just posts about 50hz.
I saw one other in this thread with this same issue. Did anyone figure out how to solve this? Or have a work around. I didn't see the post from Matt about this issue, but so.eone referenced there was one?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Just purchased and setup my new D70-M3 from Costco. Just watched some olympic basketball in 4k and it looks amazing!

I have a question, it's probably simple and dumb. How do I playback files from a USB drive? I have hooked up a USB hard drive to the USB port and can't figure out how to access the files. I'm sure I've overlooked something, or I may just be dumb, but I can't seem to find out how to play the files from that drive. Also, isn't there a way to playback over the network for files stored on a server or something?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #1115 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
USB playback almost never works

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly33flyers View Post
Hello All,

Just purchased and setup my new D70-M3 from Costco. Just watched some olympic basketball in 4k and it looks amazing!

I have a question, it's probably simple and dumb. How do I playback files from a USB drive? I have hooked up a USB hard drive to the USB port and can't figure out how to access the files. I'm sure I've overlooked something, or I may just be dumb, but I can't seem to find out how to play the files from that drive. Also, isn't there a way to playback over the network for files stored on a server or something?

I've found exactly one file that will play back through the USB ports. Everything else yields just a black screen.

I have the Samsung 8500 4K player, and play files on a USB stick though its input.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
Samsung UBD-KM85c 4K Ultra HD Streaming Blu-ray Player
post #1116 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 02:06 PM

HDR though the Cast input?

I've seen HDR content though my Samsung player with a 4K Blu-ray.

I've seen a YouTube HDR file (the Life of Pi trailer) downloaded to a USB stick, and then played back though the USB input on the Samsung.

In both of the above, the Vizio's Cast app showed HDR as "on."

Now, using the YouTube Cast app, I've tried the Life of Pi trailer, which does play as a 4K file (as shown in the Cast app), but no HDR. Ditto for the other HDR-tagged YouTube files.

This seems really unfortunate, but is hardly surprising since there is no "Color Subsampling" option for the Cast input.

Am I missing something?

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
post #1117 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBradd View Post
I'm thinking about buying this TV but use Sonos as my sound source. Does this TV transcode DTS to Dolby Digital or stereo? I know there are some TVs that do this and am hoping this higher end TV does it.
In my experience (M70-D3), the Toslink optical output does not pass anything but the stereo audio from HDMI content with known-DTS data (as play backed through my receiver and not via the display). In other words, no ".1" or surround sound through the optical output.

I hope this can be fixed because this may force me to buy a 4K receiver, and I'm quite happy with my "old" one.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
post #1118 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
I've seen HDR content though my Samsung player with a 4K Blu-ray.

I've seen a YouTube HDR file (the Life of Pi trailer) downloaded to a USB stick, and then played back though the USB input on the Samsung.

In both of the above, the Vizio's Cast app showed HDR as "on."

Now, using the YouTube Cast app, I've tried the Life of Pi trailer, which does play as a 4K file (as shown in the Cast app), but no HDR. Ditto for the other HDR-tagged YouTube files.

This seems really unfortunate, but is hardly surprising since there is no "Color Subsampling" option for the Cast input.

Am I missing something?
HDR via casting is not enabled yet, it's coming in a future firmware update. Casting uses only Dolby Vision currently, which is better anyway. Cast Netflix>>>Marco Polo and you'll see "Dolby Vision" on screen at start up & HDR = yes in the Vizio app. A couple of the Adam Sandler movies are also DV. Some recent WB movies on VUDU also use DV, with Lucy, Pacific Rim and Gatsby being standouts.

You can get HDR w/ Amazon app on the Samsung UHD player, because that is connected via HDMI and the app supports it.
jedurocher likes this.
post #1119 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Need some help asap! Both the P65 and M65 are now available in Canada at Costco and will probably be sold out by tonight. The P65 is $2999 + 13% tax, the M65 is $2299 + 13% tax. I live 30mins from the US border and could get the M65 with exchange and duty included for $2000CAD. Is the M65 still a gorgeous display with upscaling 1080p blu rays, 4K and HDR? Have to make a decision this evening, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I'll be buying an Xbox One S for streaming, gaming for kids and using my external hard drive.

Last edited by Flightpath; 08-20-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #1120 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
HDR via casting is not enabled yet, it's coming in a future firmware update. Casting uses only Dolby Vision currently, which is better anyway. Cast Netflix>>>Marco Polo and you'll see "Dolby Vision" on screen at start up & HDR = yes in the Vizio app. A couple of the Adam Sandler movies are also DV. Some recent WB movies on VUDU also use DV, with Lucy, Pacific Rim and Gatsby being standouts.

You can get HDR w/ Amazon app on the Samsung UHD player, because that is connected via HDMI and the app supports it.
Thanks for your reply.

Because the Vizio's Toslink output does not pass anything but the front-channel stereo info, I'm forced to use my Samsung 4K player if I want DTS sound, via Toslink from the player into my receiver. By the way, and for what it's worth, the HDMI2 audio-only output from the Samsung to my receiver works only when the Vizio is off. Great...

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
post #1121 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

By the way, and for what it's worth, the HDMI2 audio-only output from the Samsung to my receiver works only when the Vizio is off. Great...
Weird. If you haven't already, you might try going into your AVR, the Sammy & the Vizio settings app & turn off anything related to HDMI CEC and start from there to troubleshoot.
post #1122 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Because the Vizio's Toslink output does not pass anything but the front-channel stereo info, I'm forced to use my Samsung 4K player if I want DTS sound, via Toslink from the player into my receiver.

I haven't noticed this on my sound bar.

Anyone else verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1123 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
Need some help asap! Both the P65 and M65 are now available in Canada at Costco and will probably be sold out by tonight. The P65 is $2999 + 13% tax, the M65 is $2299 + 13% tax. I live 30mins from the US border and could get the M65 with exchange and duty included for $2000CAD. Is the M65 still a gorgeous display with upscaling 1080p blu rays, 4K and HDR? Have to make a decision this evening, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I'll be buying an Xbox One S for streaming, gaming for kids and using my external hard drive.
So the M series looks beautiful to me, and the HDR does make a difference IMO but not a 1k difference. I am very happy with my 65 once the XBOX one S black screen with HDR problem gets solved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
I haven't noticed this on my sound bar.

Anyone else verify?

I have not noticed this either.
post #1124 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell219 View Post
So the M series looks beautiful to me, and the HDR does make a difference IMO but not a 1k difference. I am very happy with my 65 once the XBOX one S black screen with HDR problem gets solved.
Thanks Cavell, much appreciated!
post #1125 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Liked: 12
will there be a smaller size then 50". like 43" like the year before. may as well get the p model if im getting that big.
post #1126 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Hello All,

to my knowledge there is no "USB stick menu"

I down loaded .MP4 UHD HDR flies from

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

Down load the "LG Chess HDR" one and make it the ONLY file on your USB stick. Then plug it in to side of TV. It will play after about 2 mins(odd that it takes so long I know)
post #1127 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 PM

Toslink & M70-D3, my experiences

Just to be clear:

Using my Samsung player with a disk with DTS surround sound:

Case 1: Samsung 8500 Toslink out ---> receiver: DTS works, with surround.

Case 2: Samsung 8500 HDMI1 out ---> M70-D3 HDMI1 input ---> M70-D3 Toslink output---> receiver: Stereo only, no surround.

I have tried the various Vizio audio settings without any success in getting Toslink DTS pass-through to work.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
post #1128 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

Down load the "LG Chess HDR" one and make it the ONLY file on your USB stick. Then plug it in to side of TV. It will play after about 2 mins(odd that it takes so long I know)
That's the one file I've got to work. Why this one would play, and no other of the many I've tried, is a complete mystery. Not to mention the mystery of two USB inputs, one even USB 3.0.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
post #1129 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Is it USB 2.0 what was the size of the file?

Quote:
That's the one file I've got to work. Why this one would play, and no other of the many I've tried, is a complete mystery. Not to mention the mystery of two USB inputs, one even USB 3.0.
The only thing I can think of is the data transfer rate of the usb port is not enough.
post #1130 of 10270 Old 08-20-2016, 06:38 PM

Does anyone know of any video review links featuring the M65-DO?
post #1131 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I actually found out that I can have multiple files on a USB drive, but only one of them can have the MP4 extension. So I can load up 3 or 4 files onto a USB drive and then rename the extensions on all but 1 of them and only that 1 file will play. I can then go in and just change the extensions for the other files as I need to watch them.

Also I had a few questions/issues:

1) Picture quality on 1080i/p sources are pretty bad. I'm thinking it's just the overly compressed Dish Network, but I just want to make sure. I've calibrated the settings according to the Rtings settings and it seems pretty good on 4K but not with 1080i/p sources.

2) The TV seems to "reboot" itself sometimes when disconnecting from CAST or switching inputs. The TV screen will go completely black and then about a minute or 2 later I'll see the Vizio logo on the screen. Is this a bug or possibly a defective unit?

3) Also, I think I've read it in this thread already, but just wanted to make sure that HDR10 is only supported through HDMI correct (specifically HDMI 1)? It would not work from a USB drive or Casting at this point? I see Netflix has pretty limited Dolby Vision stuff and I know Amazon Prime has some Dolby Vision stuff, but I don't have a Roku or something similar to play that back.

Thanks again for the help. You all are a great resource and I'm really liking this TV!
post #1132 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrex View Post
My 50" doesn't have a reduce judder or reduce motion blur option 😢
post #1133 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmoreno72 View Post
I've had similar issue with Netflix, Hulu and Youtube. I use the tablet and switch the TV input from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and back. This gets the sound back with picture and I don't have any problems with going from one episode to the next. Only if I pause will that cause the occasional hickup in sound or sound loss. It does not happen every single time. I've chalked it up as issues with casting over WiFi since we have like 30 things on our router over WiFi.

So I guess my answer to you is that it happens, not all the time and not consistent. I don't cast often so I can deal with it. Hoping they'll release an update and fix it. We have watched a handful of movies over cast and as long as I get sound working at the start of the movie, we have no issues after that clear to the end.
Hmm ok. Mine is very consistent. It happens every time I play something on netflix. Video but no audio. Same thing after every single pause. Doesn't seem like it would be a cable issue if swapping back and forth makes it work. Annoying but i'll deal with it. I'm hoping it's something a Netflix app update will fix.
post #1134 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Also I had a few questions/issues:

1) Picture quality on 1080i/p sources are pretty bad. I'm thinking it's just the overly compressed Dish Network, but I just want to make sure. I've calibrated the settings according to the Rtings settings and it seems pretty good on 4K but not with 1080i/p sources.

I'd say it's Dish as they are not really HD as they downrez to less than 1080.

We've got the M70 and with 1080 from DirecTV it looks great. Sharpness and colors are great.

Only issue we have is some DSE or vertical banding that I'm going to try the massage truck to fix it.

post #1135 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but is anyone else seeing that images from the Google+ app seem to be sent to the TV at a very low resolution? I have images that are very high resolution but when viewed on the TV through the app they seem more like upscaled 480p or maybe 720p. Honestly, I'm not exactly blown away by the 4K video from cast either, it seems, at best, indistinguishable from 1080p or even slightly worse. I switched to this from a Samsung 4K SUHD and the Samsung absolutely blows this out of the water. If it wasn't for the fact that I went through 3 of those TVs and all had horrible backlight uniformity issues I would go straight back. Could it be some setting that I have off or is this TV just incredibly soft for a 4K TV?
post #1136 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumber View Post
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but is anyone else seeing that images from the Google+ app seem to be sent to the TV at a very low resolution? I have images that are very high resolution but when viewed on the TV through the app they seem more like upscaled 480p or maybe 720p. Honestly, I'm not exactly blown away by the 4K video from cast either, it seems, at best, indistinguishable from 1080p or even slightly worse. I switched to this from a Samsung 4K SUHD and the Samsung absolutely blows this out of the water. If it wasn't for the fact that I went through 3 of those TVs and all had horrible backlight uniformity issues I would go straight back. Could it be some setting that I have off or is this TV just incredibly soft for a 4K TV?
Ok, just tried the LG Chess Demo that someone linked to earlier and that looks really fantastic, so it's obviously nothing wrong with the TV. Could it just be that the wireless connection cannot properly support 4K? I've watched Marco Polo and Breaking Bad on netflix (I have the correct plan to enable 4K) and the picture looks nothing like that LG demo in terms of resolution, more like mediocre 1080p.
post #1137 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by whumber View Post
Ok, just tried the LG Chess Demo that someone linked to earlier and that looks really fantastic, so it's obviously nothing wrong with the TV. Could it just be that the wireless connection cannot properly support 4K? I've watched Marco Polo and Breaking Bad on netflix (I have the correct plan to enable 4K) and the picture looks nothing like that LG demo in terms of resolution, more like mediocre 1080p.
Have to ask. You do have the Ultra HD plan from Netlfix?
post #1138 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverikm View Post
Yeah, sorry I mentioned that in the first post but not the follow-up. I think my next step is to connect the TV via ethernet instead of wi-fi and see if that makes any difference.
post #1139 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverikm View Post
Also, maybe it wasn't clear but all the Samsung's that I went through JS8500 and JS8000s looked incredible aside from the horribly uneven lighting. So I think there's either something where the wi-fi reception of the Vizio is not as good as the Samsung, I have something setup incorrectly, or something that I'm just not considering (I thought maybe it was just that the panel was not capable of matching the Samsungs but from the LG demo that doesn't seem to really be the case).
Chuck666 likes this.
post #1140 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Acceptable or not?

Had the M70 since Thursday and after some critical watching the past few days I noticed some rather nasty DSE or vertical banding. It comes out in many light colored scenes like snow, sky, etc. Not all but since I know where to look it catches my eye. Other aspects of the display seem awesome.

First pic is dead on, 2nd is around 45 degrees, and the 3rd one is from about the couch. All on the Vizio apps 100% test screen.

Would the be considered normal or should I box it up and exchange at Best Buy? Got 30 days to decide but wondering if playing the panel lottery is worth it? Part of me says "YES- you've got a 40" Vizio upstairs that displays none of this" and the other side says - this is normal and the next one may be worse.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead On.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1615961   Click image for larger version

Name:	45 degrees.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1615969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Couch.jpg