Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #1141 of 10270 Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy08 View Post
Had the M70 since Thursday and after some critical watching the past few days I noticed some rather nasty DSE or vertical banding. It comes out in many light colored scenes like snow, sky, etc. Not all but since I know where to look it catches my eye. Other aspects of the display seem awesome.

First pic is dead on, 2nd is around 45 degrees, and the 3rd one is from about the couch. All on the Vizio apps 100% test screen.

Would the be considered normal or should I box it up and exchange at Best Buy? Got 30 days to decide but wondering if playing the panel lottery is worth it? Part of me says "YES- you've got a 40" Vizio upstairs that displays none of this" and the other side says - this is normal and the next one may be worse.

Thanks in advance!
Mine is a little worse dead on but about the same from the sides. On some things it is very distracting. But I already performed two exchanges for similar issues. This is the best of the bunch but not preferable. I'm now outside of my return window due to delays in delivery for each exchange. I'm learning to live with it I suppose but I'm also curious how completely normal this is.
tstack77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell219 View Post
Hey all,

I have been reading through this thread and the P series thread... I have the cutting out issues when using hdr on the TV m65-d0 with an Xbox one S. I have tried multiple cables with most being higher quality cables with no luck.
I don't see any posts with this issue in the P series thread, just posts about 50hz.
I saw one other in this thread with this same issue. Did anyone figure out how to solve this? Or have a work around. I didn't see the post from Matt about this issue, but so.eone referenced there was one?

Thanks,
Tom
Exactly this. Ive noticed mine cut out a few times now as well, picture and audio as if the entire connection gets cut off.
post #1143 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
so i just did a search on this thread for "banding" and there was one result....and it was guy saying there was no banding. is the general consensus that there arent banding concerns with this tv? im starting to realize im super sensitive to screen uniformity issues.
What is your definition of banding?

The DSE on my M70 is worse than it was on my P65 if that's what you mean. Grey uniformity was much better though.
Patrick Randall likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
Some impressions of the 80" M80 after a couple days...

bad phone pics-

The top picture is Star Wars in 21:9 with black bars and as you can see its near impossible to see where the screen ends on the bottom. The blacks on this TV are insane(this is coming from someone who also owns an LG OLED), some of the best Ive ever seen on a LCD. HDR10 looks ok on this set but nothing close to an OLED or even a really bright LCD. Played some HDR10 clips from a USB drive and they look good but once I plugged it into the OLED the contrast level and brightness make the Vizio look like ass. But you can't get an 80" OLED for $3800 so.....

+
Great black levels (even in a pitch black room)
Good colors once calibrated
Cheap
120hz @1080p for PC

-
No 4:4:4 Chroma
No glossy glass screen (would have helped a TON with color "pop")
Terrible remote/tablet: pain to use, requires updates, slow, etc...

Overall this is a steal of a TV at 80". Comparing vs an OLED it will look average, but if your budget can't afford an OLED, I don't think there is anything in its price range that can come close.
I believe the firmware update for HDR 10 was only for the HDMI ports. Did you confirm in the tablet it was playing in HDR?
post #1145 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFingTwist View Post
Mine is a little worse dead on but about the same from the sides. On some things it is very distracting. But I already performed two exchanges for similar issues. This is the best of the bunch but not preferable. I'm now outside of my return window due to delays in delivery for each exchange. I'm learning to live with it I suppose but I'm also curious how completely normal this is.
Thanks. Other than the vertical lines the set looks great - Does yours have these too?

If they all have 'em I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of packing it up driving it to BB and setting up another one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45 degrees highlight.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1616393  
post #1146 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Per the CTO at Vizio

"4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell219 View Post
Hey all,

I have been reading through this thread and the P series thread... I have the cutting out issues when using hdr on the TV m65-d0 with an Xbox one S. I have tried multiple cables with most being higher quality cables with no luck.
I don't see any posts with this issue in the P series thread, just posts about 50hz.
I saw one other in this thread with this same issue. Did anyone figure out how to solve this? Or have a work around. I didn't see the post from Matt about this issue, but so.eone referenced there was one?

Thanks,
Tom

Epson 2040 - Sony DN1060 - Klipsch(C/F/R) - Xbox One + Kinect
Vizio M65-D0 - Vizio SB3830 - Xbox One S
Vizio E55-E2 - Sony DH550 - Klipsch (C/F) - Xbox One S
post #1147 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastson91 View Post
My 50" doesn't have a reduce judder or reduce motion blur option 😢
Neither does my M55.
post #1148 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I am a newb. For that I am sorry, I really am. I am trying to learn.

I want to know if I got a decent screen (got the 65"). Are there some simple tests I can do to determine if I got an okay panel?
post #1149 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkaii View Post
I want to know if I got a decent screen (got the 65"). Are there some simple tests I can do to determine if I got an okay panel?
The simplest test is to use the display exactly like you're planning on doing for the life of the set - watch shows/movies/sports, play video games, whatever - and if you don't notice anything wrong, your panel is fine.

It sounds crazy, I know, but it's just crazy enough to work.
christoofar likes this.
post #1150 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrex View Post
What are the best motion settings you guys have found for sports like football and soccer? I hate the SOE for normal viewing, but don't mind it at all for sports.
Looks fine to me with RJ and RMB at 0, and thanks to the Olympics I watched a lot of sports in the last two weeks!

Even fit in a couple preseason NFL games too, and those were fine as well.
Cerebrex likes this.
post #1151 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
No 4:4:4 Chroma
Why do you keep saying this? If you pass a 4:4:4 signal to the M it will happily accept and display it. I already replied to you with a forum member's rebuttal and rtings' response - the "lack of clarity" only matters from 2-3 feet away, and nobody is going to use one of these screens as a PC monitor that close.

What exactly is your perceived "lack of 4:4:4 chroma" preventing you from doing with your display anyway?
post #1152 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
So what's the general thought? Best screen for the price? Looking at the 70" - would like to have 4k and HDR.
post #1153 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So I decided to pick up the M70-D3 this past weekend. I couldn't pass up the Costco pricing @ $1,749.99. But I've discovered what appears to be a manufacturing defect. Or at least a bad batch that made it to Reno.

I picked up my first set on Friday. Got it unpacked, and while inspecting, found a 2-3" wide by 1/4" piece of the adhesive material that holds the internal bezel to the panel. The material is black and silver, and I thought it was a scratch on the panel at first because light was reflecting off of the silver. Powered it on and the screen was beautiful other than a cluster of 8-10 dead pixels about 3" south of the adhesive.

So I pack it up and take it back to our Reno store. I had purchased the last one and they were out of stock. They tell me there are 7 in stock at the other location here. So I race up there since it's almost closing time. I find the 7 on the floor and randomly grab one. I ask a sales person if I can inspect it. This 2nd TV is even worse. The adhesive hanging down is about 6-8" wide and is hanging about 1" from the top bezel. I show them and ask to inspect another one.

I pop open this 3rd TV and everything looks okay. I get it home and unpacked and when I pull back the bezel protection, sure enough there is a tiny amount of the adhesive showing on the top. This time it was very small, about 1" wide hanging down maybe 1/8", but you can see the silver part. I missed it in the store because the protective bezel plastic was covering it.

Screw it, I'm done returning. I'm just going to use a pencil eraser or something soft to try to move the adhesive back under the bezel.

I don't know if anyone else has found this issue, but wanted to put it out there. I assume it's a bad batch since this happened with 3 TVs in a row. And the adhesive is always messed up on the top part of the bezel, not on the sides or bottom.

Other than that, this is the most beautiful display I've seen in my house. I re-watched movies all weekend and the panel is beyond my expectations. Physical defects aside, I am quite pleased.
post #1154 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
Agreed, because it means your stand must be almost as wide as the display itself. With the more-commonly found center support stands, this is not the case. (I had to buy a new stand because of the Vizio's wide stance.)
Can anyone measure the footprint of the legs on the M80? Considering getting one but will need to buy a new TV stand.

Samsung 78KS9500
Axiom M60 (x2) , Axiom VP150 , Axiom QS8 (x2) , SVS PB1000 (x2)
Yamaha RX-V581
PS4
HTPC (i3-2105 , GTX 1050)
post #1155 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRS2403 View Post
I've seen HDR content though my Samsung player with a 4K Blu-ray.

I've seen a YouTube HDR file (the Life of Pi trailer) downloaded to a USB stick, and then played back though the USB input on the Samsung.

In both of the above, the Vizio's Cast app showed HDR as "on."

Now, using the YouTube Cast app, I've tried the Life of Pi trailer, which does play as a 4K file (as shown in the Cast app), but no HDR. Ditto for the other HDR-tagged YouTube files.

This seems really unfortunate, but is hardly surprising since there is no "Color Subsampling" option for the Cast input.

Am I missing something?
YouTube does not support HDR right now. That is why casting it does not trigger HDR. It is not the fault of the TV, but the fault of YouTube.
post #1156 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 7
HDR Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly33flyers View Post

3) Also, I think I've read it in this thread already, but just wanted to make sure that HDR10 is only supported through HDMI correct (specifically HDMI 1)? It would not work from a USB drive or Casting at this point? I see Netflix has pretty limited Dolby Vision stuff and I know Amazon Prime has some Dolby Vision stuff, but I don't have a Roku or something similar to play that back.

Thanks again for the help. You all are a great resource and I'm really liking this TV!
There is one other way to get HDR content (other than a 4K Blu-ray). There is some YouTube content that has HDR, the Life of Pi trailer for example. You do have to download, not "cast" it, to a USB drive, and then play it back through the Samsung 4K player. I know it's HDR because both the display and the player show that HDR is on.

That said, I see virtually zero Amazon Video 4K video and none with HDR. In theory, if HDR were supported by Amazon via the Samsung app, then there were be some good HDR content to view.

But, I've noted above that HDR-10 on the M70-D3 is underwhelming to my eyes, again, viewing a 4K Blu-ray. Maybe with Dolby Vision content in the future, this would change.

Vizio M70-D3
LG OLED55B6P
Samsung UBD-KM85c 4K Ultra HD Streaming Blu-ray Player
post #1157 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 223
"4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content."[/quote]

Keep us posted! I'll update with some of my experiences when i finally get a chance to use my tv again, kids and friends are playing minecraft on it. M55-D0. If you launch Netflix with hdr enabled it completely washes the color out until you exit the app. disabling hdr causes this issue to go away. ive copied a calibration setting from "2016 Vizio P Series Calibration Thread" by "beardontwalk123" for hdr and it causes 1/4 of the screen to have a washed out color, especially noticeable in red, ill try to post up a picture of this later. Has anyone else tried any calibration settings for these new M series that seem to work with no noticeable anomalies?
post #1158 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
Need some help asap! Both the P65 and M65 are now available in Canada at Costco and will probably be sold out by tonight. The P65 is $2999 + 13% tax, the M65 is $2299 + 13% tax. I live 30mins from the US border and could get the M65 with exchange and duty included for $2000CAD. Is the M65 still a gorgeous display with upscaling 1080p blu rays, 4K and HDR? Have to make a decision this evening, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I'll be buying an Xbox One S for streaming, gaming for kids and using my external hard drive.
I'd like to know this as well. I just ordered the Vizio P65 series. I know it will be great, but I keep thinking to myself that I should save the money and get the M65.
post #1159 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the answers. I guess I should have put the following question as #1 as it was the most important, at least to me:

2) The TV seems to "reboot" itself sometimes when disconnecting from CAST or switching inputs from CAST to one of the HDMI inputs. The TV screen will go completely black and then about a minute or 2 later I'll see the Vizio logo on the screen. Is this a bug or possibly a defective unit?

Also, in using the TV for a couple of days I've found that when powering on the TV, it will stay stuck on the VIZIO logo and not do anything else for a few minutes. This doesn't happen all the time but is very random when it does. We have to power everything off and back on again to get it to display actual source video. I am using a Harmony remote and have double checked to make sure all the settings are correct.
post #1160 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Man, this set has me so close to pulling the trigger. $1799 for it AND you get a $500 Dell gift card. That's basically $1,300!!!
post #1161 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneMaikai View Post
Exactly this. Ive noticed mine cut out a few times now as well, picture and audio as if the entire connection gets cut off.
For me, the cutting out issues went away when I disabled both CRC and ARC. This occurred with me on multiple sources, it didn't seem related to HDR on. If you have either on, try turning it off to see if it helps.

That's a real shame, as I need ARC to get the casted audio back to the amp. It's in my TODO list to try and resolve.
post #1162 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picked up my 65 M series tv today from Best Buy. I just plugged it in and figured I would start by testing with Marco Polo and I am seeing little white lines shoot quickly across the screen. Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't seem to be happening when I watch Breaking Bad or some other shows.

Should I be returning this unit?
post #1163 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To add to my previous post, these are horizontal lines that are zapping real quick across the screen and appears so far to be when watching Marco Polo via google cast, so I don;t know if it is somehow related to netflix or something else.
post #1164 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by twxabfn View Post
Why do you keep saying this? If you pass a 4:4:4 signal to the M it will happily accept and display it. I already replied to you with a forum member's rebuttal and rtings' response - the "lack of clarity" only matters from 2-3 feet away, and nobody is going to use one of these screens as a PC monitor that close.

What exactly is your perceived "lack of 4:4:4 chroma" preventing you from doing with your display anyway?

NO IT DOES NOT, please stop spreading miss information to people checking this thread.

you either have 4:4:4 or you don't, there is no in between. It does not re produce correct 4:4:4 Chroma

it does not pass this test

https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/9759

I have my PC hooked up to the M80 via a GTX1080 and I can 100% confirm 4:4:4 does not work and text looks like crap.
post #1165 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrojcote View Post
I'd like to know this as well. I just ordered the Vizio P65 series. I know it will be great, but I keep thinking to myself that I should save the money and get the M65.

From Rtings website...."The Vizio P Series 2016 is the next step up in price from the Vizio M Series 2016.The biggest advantage of the P Series 2016 is the higher brightness and better HDR support, however for those that aren't interested in HDR content the M Series 2016 will provide almost the same performance."
post #1166 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whumber View Post
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but is anyone else seeing that images from the Google+ app seem to be sent to the TV at a very low resolution? I have images that are very high resolution but when viewed on the TV through the app they seem more like upscaled 480p or maybe 720p. Honestly, I'm not exactly blown away by the 4K video from cast either, it seems, at best, indistinguishable from 1080p or even slightly worse. I switched to this from a Samsung 4K SUHD and the Samsung absolutely blows this out of the water. If it wasn't for the fact that I went through 3 of those TVs and all had horrible backlight uniformity issues I would go straight back. Could it be some setting that I have off or is this TV just incredibly soft for a 4K TV?
you need some native 4k content uncompressed

I won't pay for Netflix 4k as it looks like ass and barely a step up from 1080p. I have a gigabit ethernet connection and both 4k NetFlix & Vudu look soft and pixelated.

Try a Samsung UHD player, USB stick, or a PC. I used the Vizio all weekend connected to a PC and games @4k look ridiculously sharp.
post #1167 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
you need some native 4k content uncompressed

I won't pay for Netflix 4k as it looks like ass and barely a step up from 1080p. I have a gigabit ethernet connection and both 4k NetFlix & Vudu look soft and pixelated.

Try a Samsung UHD player, USB stick, or a PC. I used the Vizio all weekend connected to a PC and games @4k look ridiculously sharp.

Hi, I'm strongly considering the M65. I watch a lot of 1080p content and was hoping for some feedback on how well this display upconverts to 4K? I recently returned my 55KS8000 due to lack of deep blacks in a darkroom but 1080p content upscaled to 4K/HDR was awesome!
post #1168 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
No complaints here on a M70, DirecTV and Netflix. On 1080 it looks awesome. On 720 it looks great. On 480 it looks, like, well garbage but that's to be expected given the magnification factor of 480. We view from 10-16 ft depending on which chair you are in.
post #1169 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy08 View Post
No complaints here on a M70, DirecTV and Netflix. On 1080 it looks awesome. On 720 it looks great. On 480 it looks, like, well garbage but that's to be expected given the magnification factor of 480. We view from 10-16 ft depending on which chair you are in.
Great and thanks!! I too sit about 10-11ft away...I'm sure I would be more than thrilled with the deep blacks but my main concern is how well this display can up convert, especially after how awesome the KS8000 did it. When you enabled the HDR mode, up converting was even more awesome! Again, I couldn't settle on that unit because of the lack of deep blacks in a dark room.
post #1170 of 10270 Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Am I a good candidate for the "M" Series?

To all,

Love the discussion, just wanted some feedback. The wife and I sit about 15' away from the TV with about a 30 degree angle from our seats. About 90% of our viewing is via a 1080i cable box with the occasional PS3 DVD/Game or netflix/hulu show.

With that sort of viewing pattern, would I gain anything significant from the P series? We currently have a 52" Samsung and I'm thinking that I could use the additional 5"s on the M series versus an additional $1,900 for the 75" P series.

Any thoughts?

Bob/Durnik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page