Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #1171 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
We just came from a 50" Samsung to a 70" M series and we sit between 10 and 16 ft from the screen but straight behind it - no real angle. Like you I was debating P-series or M-series. After we decided on ~70" it was more important for me to keep the extra $1900 than spend it on a TV.

The viewing experience in both cable and 4k is much better. Watching movies with the lights off and it's an immersive experience. At the close end of the range it's almost too big but still works really well. We are definitely happy with our purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneMaikai View Post
Exactly this. Ive noticed mine cut out a few times now as well, picture and audio as if the entire connection gets cut off.
Quote:
"4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content."
Keep us posted! I'll update with some of my experiences when i finally get a chance to use my tv again, kids and friends are playing minecraft on it. M55-D0. If you launch Netflix with hdr enabled it completely washes the color out until you exit the app. disabling hdr causes this issue to go away. ive copied a calibration setting from "2016 Vizio P Series Calibration Thread" by "beardontwalk123" for hdr and it causes 1/4 of the screen to have a washed out color, especially noticeable in red, ill try to post up a picture of this later. Has anyone else tried any calibration settings for these new M series that seem to work with no noticeable anomalies?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofid View Post

"4. Aware of issue with Netflix on Xbox One S which is forcing a very specific HDR format that we don't support. Working on this now. Also testing Xbox One S more and seeing odd behavior on when it is sending HDR and when it doesn't across menus vs content."
@voiceofid Thanks I was looking for this and even went through all of Matt's post in a search but I must not of read all of the bullet points on that one, fail on my part.

@air bourneMaikai I have found multiple people with the issue and know some who have returned the TV due to it. It is nice that Vizio is working on a fix, and Matt's activity on the forums is the reason I will keep the TV and wait.

@robl95403 I will also try to disable ARC and and CRC but I do not think either is enabled. I pass my sound through optical. But maybe they were turned on somehow when I was playing with settings.

Thanks.
post #1173 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Exactly this. Ive noticed mine cut out a few times now as well, picture and audio as if the entire connection gets cut off.
Quote:
Keep us posted! I'll update with some of my experiences when i finally get a chance to use my tv again, kids and friends are playing minecraft on it. M55-D0. If you launch Netflix with hdr enabled it completely washes the color out until you exit the app. disabling hdr causes this issue to go away. ive copied a calibration setting from "2016 Vizio P Series Calibration Thread" by "beardontwalk123" for hdr and it causes 1/4 of the screen to have a washed out color, especially noticeable in red, ill try to post up a picture of this later. Has anyone else tried any calibration settings for these new M series that seem to work with no noticeable anomalies?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofid View Post

@voiceofid Thanks I was looking for this and even went through all of Matt's post in a search but I must not of read all of the bullet points on that one, fail on my part.

@AirborneMaikai I have found multiple people with the issue and know some who have returned the TV due to it. It is nice that Vizio is working on a fix, and Matt's activity on the forums is the reason I will keep the TV and wait.

@robl95403 I will also try to disable ARC and and CRC but I do not think either is enabled. I pass my sound through optical. But maybe they were turned on somehow when I was playing with settings.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpath View Post
From Rtings website...."The Vizio P Series 2016 is the next step up in price from the Vizio M Series 2016.The biggest advantage of the P Series 2016 is the higher brightness and better HDR support, however for those that aren't interested in HDR content the M Series 2016 will provide almost the same performance."
Thanks, but I was hoping for some insight from real owners. I'm looking for a 65" and rtings bases their reviews off testing a single sample. I'm also not 100% certain I trust everything they say. I've compared some of their reviews and some tv's get rated higher, but when I compare the pictures I sometimes prefer the one that is rated lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell219 View Post
Keep us posted! I'll update with some of my experiences when i finally get a chance to use my tv again, kids and friends are playing minecraft on it. M55-D0. If you launch Netflix with hdr enabled it completely washes the color out until you exit the app. disabling hdr causes this issue to go away. ive copied a calibration setting from "2016 Vizio P Series Calibration Thread" by "beardontwalk123" for hdr and it causes 1/4 of the screen to have a washed out color, especially noticeable in red, ill try to post up a picture of this later. Has anyone else tried any calibration settings for these new M series that seem to work with no noticeable anomalies?

The P series calibration settings will be way off for this tv. It doesn't support wide colour gamut. This will cause a a big difference in calibration settings.

Last edited by nadrojcote; 08-23-2016 at 08:09 AM.
post #1175 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrojcote View Post
Thanks, but I was hoping for some insight from real owners. I'm looking for a 65" and rtings bases their reviews off testing a single sample. I'm also not 100% certain I trust everything they say. I've compared some of their reviews and some tv's get rated higher, but when I compare the pictures I sometimes prefer the one that is rated lower.
I would agree with the second part of that comment regarding HDR support. I have gotten my TV pretty narrowed in (still a little tweaking to do) and find that the brightness is just fine, in fact, I have been told that I keep it a little too low for better quality 4K viewing, but I find that, even in a brighter room, the backlight turned higher hurts my eyes. I realize it is a big set, in a bigger box, but if you have a Costco membership, then buy the TV and test it out. I've been pretty pleased with my set so far.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1176 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
I would agree with the second part of that comment regarding HDR support. I have gotten my TV pretty narrowed in (still a little tweaking to do) and find that the brightness is just fine, in fact, I have been told that I keep it a little too low for better quality 4K viewing, but I find that, even in a brighter room, the backlight turned higher hurts my eyes. I realize it is a big set, in a bigger box, but if you have a Costco membership, then buy the TV and test it out. I've been pretty pleased with my set so far.
Thanks. My biggest concern is nice deep uniform black levels. Like you I'm not too worried about a bright TV. A better looking black is worth 1000x more to me than a bright tv.

so far I can see that the P series has:

-twice as many dimming zones
-wide colour gamut
-all hdmi ports are 2.0
-better tablet

As far as other specs I cant base them off of reviews because as far as I know no one has reviewed the m65-d0 yet.
post #1177 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks. My biggest concern is nice deep uniform black levels. Like you I'm not too worried about a bright TV. A better looking black is worth 1000x more to me than a bright tv.

-wide colour gamut
-all hdmi ports are 2.0
-better tablet

As far as other specs I cant base them off of reviews because as far as I know no one has reviewed the m65-d0 yet.
For what it's worth, I went with the M65. I think the blacks look great. I could not really tell the difference in the store and don't see myself purchasing a HD Blu ray player, relying more so on streaming content. Plus I am budget conscious - this set was part of a complete living room makeover. My wife would have been happy with E series so I started with the P65 and agreed to "settle" on the M. I very much like the M and am pleased with my purchase. As for the tablet upgrade? The supplied M tablet is just OK but you can use any tablet. I have re-purposed my N7 from dust tester to my media tablet and it works great.

If funds were not an issue, I'd probably go for the P.

Dave N

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #1178 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post
For what it's worth, I went with the M65. I think the blacks look great. I could not really tell the difference in the store and don't see myself purchasing a HD Blu ray player, relying more so on streaming content. Plus I am budget conscious - this set was part of a complete living room makeover. My wife would have been happy with E series so I started with the P65 and agreed to "settle" on the M. I very much like the M and am pleased with my purchase. As for the tablet upgrade? The supplied M tablet is just OK but you can use any tablet. I have re-purposed my N7 from dust tester to my media tablet and it works great.

If funds were not an issue, I'd probably go for the P.

Thanks for the insight. Funds aren't a huge issue, but I am known to be fairly frugal. If I can get something that's similar for a much better deal I'll take it. I currently own a Pioneer Plasma and Panasonic Plasma as well as a 65x810c Sony. After getting the Sony I set out to find an LED tv with better black levels while still in my return period. I got the Sony for half the price of the Vizio P series so it's saddens me that I didn't like it.
post #1179 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Funds aren't a huge issue, but I am known to be fairly frugal. If I can get something that's similar for a much better deal I'll take it. I currently own a Pioneer Plasma and Panasonic Plasma as well as a 65x810c Sony. After getting the Sony I set out to find an LED tv with better black levels while still in my return period. I got the Sony for half the price of the Vizio P series so it's saddens me that I didn't like it.
So I recently picked up the M65 also and the black levels are amazing. I couldn't believe how good they were. I don't have a P series to compare them to(besides in store and they looked very similar to me) but I have compared them to my brothers LG (I think 7700, or something like that) and this destroys it in uniformity and overall true black look.

I honestly don't know if I would notice more dimming zones, most likely but without having them side by side I don't think you would know.

Better tablet, I just use my phone but the one supplied works perfectly fine, it doesn't need to be a powerhouse in all honesty.

A wider WCG is definitely something I wish I had, but again without another TV right by side I won't notice.

As is the M65 looks incredible and I am sure the P series does also, but I could not justify the massive cost increase for to me what felt like a minimal performance bump.
post #1180 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

-wide colour gamut
-all hdmi ports are 2.0
-better tablet

The black levels are insane on this TV. On letterbox movies, there are times it is hard to tell where the movie ends and the blacked out part of the screen begins.

The HDMI ports can be an issue, if it is something that you would be concerned about. If you end up streaming from a single source, that won't matter much.
The tablet took a bit to get used to, and the only reason I use it now is to adjust the picture and audio. I have a Harmony 650 that does all the changing, unless I stream Netflix or something else....but even then, I use the remote for volume and such.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #1181 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is anyone getting the Xbox One S to work on this display even with HDR off? (meaning can you get games to play, UHD Blu Rays with HDR OFF, Netflix, Hulu, etc...) or does the Xbone S simply not work at all with the Vizio ?

The 500gb Xbone S is out today but not gonna drop $300 if the console doesn't even work at all?
post #1182 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
also noticed a rainbow static effect when i enable sub sampling. anyone else notice hdmi 5 there's sub sampling

Epson 2040 - Sony DN1060 - Klipsch(C/F/R) - Xbox One + Kinect
Vizio M65-D0 - Vizio SB3830 - Xbox One S
Vizio E55-E2 - Sony DH550 - Klipsch (C/F) - Xbox One S
post #1183 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone use this thing with an Xbox One S? How is gaming on it? Is it future proofed with gaming in HDR?

Has anyone watched an HDR enabled 4k blu ray?

Impressions?
post #1184 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post
Does anyone use this thing with an Xbox One S? How is gaming on it? Is it future proofed with gaming in HDR?

Impressions?

AFAIK the Xbox One S doesn't work at all with the Vizio M ? Reports here of cut outs, etc..

Waiting for a Xbone S owner to chime in before heading to Gamestop to grab one
post #1185 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
AFAIK the Xbox One S doesn't work at all with the Vizio M ? Reports here of cut outs, etc..

One reporting cutouts, fixed with a change of the HDMI cable.

Sent from my HTC 10
post #1186 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman918 View Post
Man, this set has me so close to pulling the trigger. $1799 for it AND you get a $500 Dell gift card. That's basically $1,300!!!
My cart shows $1899 after $100 off-how did you get $1799?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #1187 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
My cart shows $1899 after $100 off-how did you get $1799?

Use promo code SAVETEN
post #1188 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Use promo code SAVETEN
What size?

Sent from my HTC 10
post #1189 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 122
70"

Brings it to $1,799 and comes with a $500 gift card.
fmedrano1977 likes this.
post #1190 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
70"

Brings it to $1,799 and comes with a $500 gift card.
Not a bad deal, I got a pair of 50" sets for the bedrooms for about $680ea, using the SAVETEN and an additional discount they offered to keep me from cancelling my order.

Sent from my HTC 10
post #1191 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedrano1977 View Post
Not a bad deal, I got a pair of 50" sets for the bedrooms for about $680ea, using the SAVETEN and an additional discount they offered to keep me from cancelling my order.

Sent from my HTC 10
Got one for that with $180 in Dell rewards-need a new laptop anyway so i will have $680 to spend on that. Great deal. Does this model have the right kind of panel?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #1192 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

I have the M55-D0 and Xbox One S....works perfectly with 4k....the only issue is when I enable the HDR option on the Xbox One S...Netflix app is washed out and it looks horrible. Looks like there is a fix in the works for the TV. Other than that it works fine and haven't had any cutouts.
post #1193 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmach View Post
I have the M55-D0 and Xbox One S....works perfectly with 4k....the only issue is when I enable the HDR option on the Xbox One S...Netflix app is washed out and it looks horrible. Looks like there is a fix in the works for the TV. Other than that it works fine and haven't had any cutouts.
This is my issue as well. I also I tried watching Deadpool 4k HDR and it constantly cuts out (screen goes black sometimes audio keeps going, sometimes it stops) When i disable HDR everything seems to work fine, still doing more testing. I tried disabling CEC and that didnt seem to matter, that and it isnt even detecting my xbox one s as a cec device (it says no cec devices connected) I dont have ARC enabled because im just using the tv speakers and only have the xbox one s hooked up. If i cast Netflix from the tablet I dont have any of the washed out issues, so this has me thinking it has to be the Xbox One S. Unfortunately I dont have $400 to go drop on a UHD Blueray player to test and see if the issues go away. Right now I have the HDR enabled and im just playing a regular Blueray and so far its not cutting out. So again this brings me to the conclusion that its an Xbox One S issue so I'm confused to how and why Vizio would say they are addressing it and issuing a fix. Link please? Where is everyone seeing this news about a different HDMI cable fixing their issue or that Vizio is issuing a fix for this? I cant seem to find that info anywhere. I really want to keep this tv but If its not resolved within 12 more days its going back and I know the wife will blow the money and ill just be up $h** creek.
I have a M55-DO. Anyone else with this tv please chime in with your experience. Ill keep posting any changes and whether or not this Blueray plays through with no issues. Ive only gamed for like 10mins because my nagging wife and kids wont give me more time than that lol. Ill try get a session in and some time in with the tv tonight and post up later.
post #1194 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
This is my issue as well. I also I tried watching Deadpool 4k HDR and it constantly cuts out (screen goes black sometimes audio keeps going, sometimes it stops) When i disable HDR everything seems to work fine, still doing more testing. I tried disabling CEC and that didnt seem to matter, that and it isnt even detecting my xbox one s as a cec device (it says no cec devices connected) I dont have ARC enabled because im just using the tv speakers and only have the xbox one s hooked up. If i cast Netflix from the tablet I dont have any of the washed out issues, so this has me thinking it has to be the Xbox One S. Unfortunately I dont have $400 to go drop on a UHD Blueray player to test and see if the issues go away. Right now I have the HDR enabled and im just playing a regular Blueray and so far its not cutting out. So again this brings me to the conclusion that its an Xbox One S issue so I'm confused to how and why Vizio would say they are addressing it and issuing a fix. Link please? Where is everyone seeing this news about a different HDMI cable fixing their issue or that Vizio is issuing a fix for this? I cant seem to find that info anywhere. I really want to keep this tv but If its not resolved within 12 more days its going back and I know the wife will blow the money and ill just be up $h** creek.
I have a M55-DO. Anyone else with this tv please chime in with your experience. Ill keep posting any changes and whether or not this Blueray plays through with no issues. Ive only gamed for like 10mins because my nagging wife and kids wont give me more time than that lol. Ill try get a session in and some time in with the tv tonight and post up later.
The issue is the way M$ decided to use a non standard HDR method that the Vizio does not fully support. So they have to update their code to support it.

I guess technically you can't call it non-standard as there is no standard for HDR yet.

I have multiple more cables coming this week to test.. have tried like 8 though
post #1195 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell219 View Post
The issue is the way M$ decided to use a non standard HDR method that the Vizio does not fully support. So they have to update their code to support it.

I guess technically you can't call it non-standard as there is no standard for HDR yet.

I have multiple more cables coming this week to test.. have tried like 8 though
Any of those cables the certified ones from monoprice?

Sent from my HTC 10
post #1196 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesha View Post

Impressions?
with HDR enabled in the xbox one s it causes the screen to cut out when trying to watch a uhd blueray aka deadpool hdr. havent got to do much gaming yet. honestly its just using netflix on xbox one s and trying to play uhd bluerays on the xbox one s are where all my issues are coming from. I can cast and watch regular bluerays with zero issues, even with hdr enabled in the xbox menu. will try gaming in a bit, on baby duty atm
jedurocher likes this.
post #1197 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well, after about 2 weeks of happy TV watching the TV just took a dump on me. The bottom left quarter of the screen looks like the lights died on them. I have never had any problem with any TV I have ever purchased before and am super careful with my things. I've been a huge Vizio fan for a long time., When I was in my early 20's they were the 1st Flat screen TV I purchased and have been with them since but see this and how many others have had issues really bothers me....

And this one shows it the best or worst... you can see a perfect little rectangle where that quarter of the panel just went bad. Pretty pissed as now I have to wait for delivery and replacement

post #1198 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased a M70 Sunday and have been happy so far.

I haven't gotten much 4K content to stream from youtube. I do have the pipe to stream them, but they are coming in at 1080P and still look great. Heck right now, I have PLaystation Vue and stream some stuff from History App (which uses 720P) and even the 720P looks amazing up-scaled on this set.60''

I am coming from a Samsung late 60'' Plasma for the past few months as I just moved to Orlando. Back in my house in GA, I have a 110'' with a Benq W1070. I am in a dark room now with straight back from the TV are my router and cable modem lights. They would reflect off the glass plasma screen. They don't show up at all on the Vizio.

I do wish Vizio would release some API - as I have a couple of apps I would like to write for the remote.
post #1199 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks man I await your impressions. Why is it so hard to find a good tv to do all the things we want it to at a decent price.

Honestly this goes to everyone, I have no idea what tv is the best to take advantage of watching 4K movies and playing games using the Xbox One S. I e never been so lost.
post #1200 of 10276 Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welp, my M65-D0 is going back to Costco.

1. HDMI Handshake Issues

Detailed below. Have to route Comcast STB through XboxOne in order to get consistent power on HDMI handshake. Comcast STB direct to any HDMI port just won't handshake. Tried three different STB boxes, all the same issue.

2. Picture freezing.

Twice on cable, once on movie playing over network, once on movie playing from Xbox disc drive. Picture freezes, audio continues. Power cycling the TV resolves, while source continues to play fine.

I really like this TV, but more issues in 10 days than the last 10 years of Panasonic & Samsung is all the info I need.

Now I'm torn on exchange vs abort. My first Vizio experience, not sure if I got a bad unit, or if it's just bad product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes770 View Post
Long time lurker, this forum has been a great resource over the years.

Just setup a M65-D0, with the Costco discount.

Having issues with HDMI handshake to the Comcast box.

Comcast STB on port 4.
Xbox One on port 5 (all good here, no issues)

When turning on STB & TV, the handshake will not succeed probably 50% of the time. Black screen. Top of screen status recognizes the input as 720p or 1080i. Turning off the STB changes to "No Signal".

Power off/on of the TV and/or STB, or input switching will eventually resolve, then all is fine until powered off.

Have tried STB on other ports, same issue. Have tried other HDMI cables. Have tried 720p option on STB. CEC is off.

Next test is routing Comcast through the Xbox, but not my favorite option.

Any ideas or experience concerning this issue? This is my first run-in with handshake problems.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page