Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #2761 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
I actually really like it. And its a decent little tablet that can be used for anything. The problem is that Amazon and Google are having a little feud right now so Amazon Video can't be played by casting. Luckly there are now some devices that support HDR streaming. I picked up Samsungs UHD BD player which does, since I wanted one anyways. Your other option is the Roku Premier+ (not the Premier without a plus) or Roku Ultra. Those support way more apps than Samsungs Smart TV system anyways, and you'll still come out ahead on price.

Also for some reason Watch ESPN won't work, but I have an old chromecast lying around for that.
I only had this tv for 2 days and I have amazon video app on the tablet. You cast the tablet to the tv and amazon video streams but only in 720p
Same with kodi. You cast the screen of the tablet and it's only 720p
I also noticed the tablet has to be on and playing the video at the same time - so I place it on the charger facing the wall.

Am I missing something ? 'Doing it the wrong way?
Maybe

But I pay for Netflix HD and Prime and now I can't watch anything in 4K on this tv via the tablet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
M60 vs M55

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here. I'm trying to decide between the M60 and the M55. I bought the M60 because it was only $20 more than the M55 but am I really missing a different experience with the VA panel? I have a 65VT50 in my living room so comparing black levels to that is a joke, however, are the differences between the VA and IPS panel worth the change if I lose 5" in screen size? I know it will be different for different people I'm just looking for anyone's "real world" opinion of comparing the 2 panel types in a similar situation. This will be in my bedroom where I'll mostly watch netflix/xbox one s/directv. My serious movies are watched on the Panny in the living room with 5.1 surround sound. Thanks for any input!
post #2763 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaffles View Post
But I pay for Netflix HD and Prime and now I can't watch anything in 4K on this tv via the tablet
Why can't you watch Netflix in 4k on this set via the tablet?? It works perfectly fine - I did it all of the time when I had my M-Series still setup. You need to subscribe to the top-tier Netflix subscription to get 4k via Netflix - but then it streams 4k/HDR just fine (but that is true with any set).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balforth View Post
To be fair, that's not Vizio's fault. Amazon refuses to release an official app for Android. I know Vizio used to provide a built-in Amazon app in their smart tvs at one point, but in my experience it was terrible. I've totally abandoned Amazon for this reason and gave all my business to Vudu.
Absolutely, Amazon is just being stupid about it... for now 1080p from my PC connected via HDMI is fine until I go with a Roku again and BTW, for not technically supporting 4:4:4 even with it enabled, the text as a monitor looks fine and not blurry as Rtings says....
post #2765 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balforth View Post
To be fair, that's not Vizio's fault. Amazon refuses to release an official app for Android. I know Vizio used to provide a built-in Amazon app in their smart tvs at one point, but in my experience it was terrible. I've totally abandoned Amazon for this reason and gave all my business to Vudu.
Can you root the tablet, which is basically a jailbreak and get it to work that way? Once it's rooted, anything is possible I've heard! Let's call on the jailbreak community

Quote:
That sucks, but I did get youtube HDR working (very little content just demos).
Using what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Why can't you watch Netflix in 4k on this set via the tablet?? It works perfectly fine - I did it all of the time when I had my M-Series still setup. You need to subscribe to the top-tier Netflix subscription to get 4k via Netflix - but then it streams 4k/HDR just fine (but that is true with any set).
Cool deal. Maybe people don't know about that optional tier.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #2766 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
I only had this tv for 2 days and I have amazon video app on the tablet. You cast the tablet to the tv and amazon video streams but only in 720p
Same with kodi. You cast the screen of the tablet and it's only 720p
I also noticed the tablet has to be on and playing the video at the same time - so I place it on the charger facing the wall.

Am I missing something ? 'Doing it the wrong way?
Maybe

You can always "mirror cast" anything on an android tablet to any chromecast (or Vizio's version thereof). Its a workaround for Amazon Prime because of their dispute with Google.

But, In the Netflix app, for example, you should see the little chromecast icon popup. Click that and select your TV. You get 4k video and UHD on shows where available, try Marco Polo.
post #2767 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Can you root the tablet, which is basically a jailbreak and get it to work that way? Once it's rooted, anything is possible I've heard! Let's call on the jailbreak community

Using what?
Jailbreaking won't help. I actually have a 100% rooted Nvidia Shield TV. And I got Amazon Prime Video to work (actually I don't think you need to root to do that). But it still wont support the chromecast, and it won't do 4k or HDR.

Using what? The tablet that came with my Vizio TV casting to my Vizio TV. (will test again when I can, it was rather late at night when I tried it out, may have been dreaming).
post #2768 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jailbreaking won't help. I actually have a 100% rooted Nvidia Shield TV. And I got Amazon Prime Video to work (actually I don't think you need to root to do that). But it still wont support the chromecast, and it won't do 4k or HDR.

Using what? The tablet that came with my Vizio TV casting to my Vizio TV. (will test again when I can, it was rather late at night when I tried it out, may have been dreaming).
Yea, cool. Might as well give it a shot. I always believe inthe say, "there's always a way around the system."

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #2769 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien View Post
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here. I'm trying to decide between the M60 and the M55. I bought the M60 because it was only $20 more than the M55 but am I really missing a different experience with the VA panel? I have a 65VT50 in my living room so comparing black levels to that is a joke, however, are the differences between the VA and IPS panel worth the change if I lose 5" in screen size? I know it will be different for different people I'm just looking for anyone's "real world" opinion of comparing the 2 panel types in a similar situation. This will be in my bedroom where I'll mostly watch netflix/xbox one s/directv. My serious movies are watched on the Panny in the living room with 5.1 surround sound. Thanks for any input!
I think you'll be perfectly happy with it for a bedroom TV. Hell, I'm perfectly happy with the m60 as my primary. And know that I refused to go with an LCD TV for many many years because their contrast sucked.
kheovnien likes this.
post #2770 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So looks like a Roku Premiere+ is the way to go to simplify things but also specifically get Amazon 4K and YouTube 4k in 60fps... if you guys haven't seen the latter I can assure you is is what I had hoped 4k to be all along, it just looks amazing... It kind of proves the point that you don't need a 120Hz TV, that is literally just to add soap opera effect motion handling, which most people find annoying anyway. But back to the Roku, too bad I didn't know earlier that I'd have to include it with my clunky off-brand 4k (it had a Roku 1080p stick originally) to get it sold... Now the voice search is only on the most expensive Roku, not any of the lower ones at all, but I also had a Roku 4 early adopter discount of $50 to use but didn't think I'd need to and is expired now...

Anyway, I guess the bottom-line is I'm disappointed that casting maxes out at 30fps in 4k, no matter the app and Amazon being jerks about including 4k support on anything but Roku or Fire...
post #2771 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's the VUDU help forum link. They have a nice selection of DV movies it seems:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...io-P-Series-TV

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2772 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
So looks like a Roku Premiere+ is the way to go to simplify things but also specifically get Amazon 4K and YouTube 4k in 60fps... if you guys haven't seen the latter I can assure you is is what I had hoped 4k to be all along, it just looks amazing... It kind of proves the point that you don't need a 120Hz TV, that is literally just to add soap opera effect motion handling, which most people find annoying anyway. But back to the Roku, too bad I didn't know earlier that I'd have to include it with my clunky off-brand 4k (it had a Roku 1080p stick originally) to get it sold... Now the voice search is only on the most expensive Roku, not any of the lower ones at all, but I also had a Roku 4 early adopter discount of $50 to use but didn't think I'd need to and is expired now...

Anyway, I guess the bottom-line is I'm disappointed that casting maxes out at 30fps in 4k, no matter the app and Amazon being jerks about including 4k support on anything but Roku or Fire...
I can confirm it works on Samsung's UHD BD player.

I'm nearly certain the TV supports [email protected] 60fps in HDR. At least the rtings.com review measured the input lag in that format.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016
post #2773 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's the VUDU help forum link. They have a nice selection of DV movies it seems:

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...io-P-Series-TV
Their prices are rather silly though IMO. I picked up an HDR BD for $20 that they have for $30 to buy.
post #2774 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$30!!! that's crazy

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2775 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can confirm it works on Samsung's UHD BD player.

I'm nearly certain the TV supports [email protected] 60fps in HDR. At least the rtings.com review measured the input lag in that format.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016
OK, I don't really use spinning media at all any more but that is good to know... I do know the TV supports all that, it's just too bad it isn't "quite" what I was hoping for with the built in casting... If Roku can support 60fps on YouTube as of about 6-9 months ago thenI feel the casting app should too, but just a small complaint... it's a great display for the money so it will be worth adding the Roku eventually I think.
post #2776 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$30!!! that's crazy
And THAT is way I don't bother with disc media any more... Very rarely do I want to watch a movie more than once, although with the prices dropping so fast on the 4K Blu Ray players they aren't much more than a Roku Ultimate now...
post #2777 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And THAT is way I don't bother with disc media any more... Very rarely do I want to watch a movie more than once, although with the prices dropping so fast on the 4K Blu Ray players they aren't much more than a Roku Ultimate now...
Yeah my old BD player has mostly been a dust collector lately. But, disc is till going to be the best quality UHD you can get. There is a website out there that will rent by mail UHD discs. I'm going to wait til the selection is a bit better before joining.

ETA: the $30 to buy is for Vudu streaming.
post #2778 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Using what?

Cool deal. Maybe people don't know about that optional tier.
Download the amazon underground app then it lets you download the amazon video app. I did this on the tablet but when I screen cast amazon video it's 720p

The Netflix works finally. It shows 1080 on the input selection but then buffered up to 2160

That's another issue with the tv too. I need an info button to see the ex: "1080p 60hz"
My Samsung ks8000 shows everything even bitrate
libertyforall likes this.
post #2779 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Download the amazon underground app then it lets you download the amazon video app. I did this on the tablet but when I screen cast amazon video it's 720p

The Netflix works finally. It shows 1080 on the input selection but then buffered up to 2160

That's another issue with the tv too. I need an info button to see the ex: "1080p 60hz"
My Samsung ks8000 shows everything even bitrate
Its a menu on the tablet. Settings-> show display I think.
post #2780 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its a menu on the tablet. Settings-> show display I think.
Yes, but you find yourseld having to do that ALL THE TIME. They need a shortcut button.
libertyforall likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2781 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, but you find yourseld having to do that ALL THE TIME. They need a shortcut button.
I just tried that. No luck. I have to hit the input button. It then shows me the title bar
TV name. Source name. a box with 1080p . Normal . Network name and time.
post #2782 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Whats this tablet you all are harping about? Is it that black box that came with the tv that i left in the box?? This thing that confuses people so much they blame the tv and return it?? So glad mine is collecting dust. lol.

Also I find it bizarre that Amazon doesnt offer the Fire Stick with HDR since most of their original programming has HDR. They have new ones coming out soon and it still lacks DV/HDR support. I picked up Prime over the weekend with their $79 deal for a year then today snagged the new Roku Premier + for $69 shipped. Excited to watch some Prime originals in HDR. Will probably have some set up questions. I was considering the Samsung UHD player at costco thats on sale (to stream Amazon) but I think I'll either wait for my current bluray player to crap out and/or wait for a newer model to be released.
post #2783 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

Well you can always cast the entire Android tablet to the Vizio and then you can see it on the big screen too. In fact, Vizio should have looked into better integration like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazon View Post
Right now the remote and fact that all apps are not in TV kind of scares me. This also means that I can't have a universal programming remote like Logitec Harmony ones to control all of my devices auto-magically. On the other hand, i can live with an extra remote if needed (doing it now), but still - the idea of looking down on a tablet instead of at TV when selecting or searching for something is kind of strange. Using small screen to search and browse.... is a waste of big screen.
post #2784 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

Give me a break, flat panel TVs all have bad audio, shut the speakers off and get some nice speakers & receiver and you will be happy, which is what I did many years ago.

Put the backlight up to max for those who need more brightness.

Compare 1080P Star Trek Beyond to the 2160P DV version -- you will see what HDR is all about!

Quote:
My observations after a few days with the m60-d1:
1) Sound quality is teeeerrrrrrrrrrrible. I'm waiting on a bracket from Amazon so I can mount my sound bar. But the onboard sound is just so bad that my soundbar is now plugged in and sitting on the floor.
2) Anyone complaining about the brightness of these TV's is nuts, or watches TV in a very bright room. It can hurt my eyes a bit.
3) HDR is awesome. But... other than in store demo's, which are about worthless, I have nothing to compare it to.
4) Don't use port 5 for an HDR capable device. I had fits when I was getting HDR thru my Samsung UHD player because I thought it was the "best" port. Actually its the only HDMI port that won't do HDR.
5) Viewing angle is great on the m60 (its an IPS). I do think I gave up a tiny bit of black levels. But I'd still rate it as very good.
post #2785 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So I've had the m65-d0 for three days and every time I turn the tv on, it tells me it has no network connection and to press the 'connect' button the small remote control so the tv can be connected to the network. So every time I turn the tv on this happens and I have to go through a 5 minute process to pair the tablet with he tv. Every time it asks me to register and give my email. This is infuriating. My wifi signal is awful, but I have the tv connected to my router via Ethernet. Any idea what the problem could be? Are they all this bad? Could I just have a lemon? This is so frustrating I'm on the verge of returning the thing.

Also, how do I reset the tv to factory defaults? I had the tv connected via wifi before hooking it up to Ethernet so I'm wondering if perhaps it's still trying to connect via wifi. I reset the tablet to factory defaults, but that doesn't seem to affect the tv itself. Thanks in advance.
post #2786 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
It's not streamed from the tablet unless you use it's tiny storage to actually put a file on it to stream. The tablet simply issues the commands on what you want the tv to pull from its own connection otherwise there would be no need for an Ethernet port.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Is there a way of disabling the wifi on the tv to make sure?
post #2787 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Is there a way of disabling the wifi on the tv to make sure?
To be sure of what? I just plugged in my Ethernet before even turning the tv on the first time and it just connected to Ethernet automatically.
post #2788 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
So I've had the m65-d0 for three days and every time I turn the tv on, it tells me it has no network connection and to press the 'connect' button the small remote control so the tv can be connected to the network. So every time I turn the tv on this happens and I have to go through a 5 minute process to pair the tablet with he tv. Every time it asks me to register and give my email. This is infuriating. My wifi signal is awful, but I have the tv connected to my router via Ethernet. Any idea what the problem could be? Are they all this bad? Could I just have a lemon? This is so frustrating I'm on the verge of returning the thing.

Also, how do I reset the tv to factory defaults? I had the tv connected via wifi before hooking it up to Ethernet so I'm wondering if perhaps it's still trying to connect via wifi. I reset the tablet to factory defaults, but that doesn't seem to affect the tv itself. Thanks in advance.
Did you do a "service reset" in the vizio cast app or did you just reset the tablet through Android?

post #2789 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Whats this tablet you all are harping about? Is it that black box that came with the tv that i left in the box?? This thing that confuses people so much they blame the tv and return it?? So glad mine is collecting dust. lol.

Also I find it bizarre that Amazon doesnt offer the Fire Stick with HDR since most of their original programming has HDR. They have new ones coming out soon and it still lacks DV/HDR support. I picked up Prime over the weekend with their $79 deal for a year then today snagged the new Roku Premier + for $69 shipped. Excited to watch some Prime originals in HDR. Will probably have some set up questions. I was considering the Samsung UHD player at costco thats on sale (to stream Amazon) but I think I'll either wait for my current bluray player to crap out and/or wait for a newer model to be released.
I LOVE having a display with advanced technology like having the tablet to do lots of adjusting and taking advantage of technology like casting too. It's a home theater display if people are too lazy or stupid to use what it comes with it then they should have bought a TV and not a home theater display where they wasted money on a tablet they aren't going to use. I'm not going to let stories from those people discourage me. I just don't like the limitations of only 30fps in 4k through the app while the display itself supports 60fps and only having 1080p for Amazon, but I also know all these things add up to a better value for me, the enthusiast.

wmarkw likes this.
post #2790 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=BlueWaffles;4835016

Download the amazon underground app then it lets you download the amazon video app.[/QUOTE]

There is no Amazon underground app when searching the play store on the tablet... I'll just have to search for an APK directly for the Amazon video app I guess..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page