Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5367Likes

post #2791 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Well you can always cast the entire Android tablet to the Vizio and then you can see it on the big screen too. In fact, Vizio should have looked into better integration like that...
I did that once, then forget how I did it. You can put a whole webpage from the tablet on the screen, then turn it landscape and fill the entire screen. That's under settings to cast the tablet?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
Did you do a "service reset" in the vizio cast app or did you just reset the tablet through Android?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I reset the tablet.... I didn't see the service reset option. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
post #2793 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yet another question - is there a way for thto vizio to pass 5.1 audio from hdmi through the tv and out via the optical audio? I have an Xbox one s but an older receiver that doesn't support 4K. So instead of having the Xbox hdmi connect to the receiver and return audio via the ARC on HDMI1, I want to just connect the Xbox to the tv directly and have it send the audio to the receiver.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Quote:
Did you do a "service reset" in the vizio cast app or did you just reset the tablet through Android?

I reset the tablet.... I didn't see the service reset option. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!
It's in the system information page in the Vizio app, kind of like how it is for the tablet itself. You can also check network info in there too, I can see mine connects to Ethernet but still can "see" the Wi-Fi too.
post #2795 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

It is also a dispute between Amazon & Apple, no Apple TV Amazon Video app either. However the workaround is to AirPlay from that iOS Amazon Video app to the Apple TV, or you could AirPlay Mirror from a Mac to Apple TV... Not sure if you can get 4K from Mac AirPlay Mirroring, since my Mac does not do 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by park41 View Post
No it can't, has something to do with a dispute between Google and Amazon. you would have to get an external device that supports amazon HD/UHD.
post #2796 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 11:51 PM

Arrow

Try Cast Mirroring from a 4K capable computer using Chrome for Amazon Video -- I think that may work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Jailbreaking won't help. I actually have a 100% rooted Nvidia Shield TV. And I got Amazon Prime Video to work (actually I don't think you need to root to do that). But it still wont support the chromecast, and it won't do 4k or HDR.

Using what? The tablet that came with my Vizio TV casting to my Vizio TV. (will test again when I can, it was rather late at night when I tried it out, may have been dreaming).
post #2797 of 10276 Old 11-21-2016, 11:59 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
There is no Amazon underground app when searching the play store on the tablet... I'll just have to search for an APK directly for the Amazon video app I guess..

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/feature....cId=1003016361
post #2798 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I downloaded a Amazon video app directly and I don't like the motion going through the tablet, I'm wondering if using a phone with a better processor would help, but regardless I just used my pc connected via HDMI and 1080p content played through a [email protected] desktop (GTX 950) chrome browser tab looked good on it... I tried RGB color mode and it looked washed out, had to adjust contrast way down. I ended up with better results on auto and computer color mode, backlight around 60, brightness 45 and contrast 50.

Last edited by danbfree; 11-22-2016 at 01:07 AM.
post #2799 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can't cast from my iPhone using the amazon app like I can with YouTube.
Frustrating
If the tv just built the apps in then they would play directly
I feel like casting them through the tablet limits the resolution bit
post #2800 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaffles View Post
Frustrating
Again the tablet has nothing to do with the resolution of this display. I have the 2015 Vizio M and yes the tv has apps on it. But the casting feature is what makes this display unique. This was a known deal last spring that Amazon/Google dont play nice. The work arounds are finding a streaming device (like Roku/UHD Player for HDR or a firestick for 4k).

Seriously people dont get hung up on the tablet. Just use your phone with the smartcast app.
post #2801 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Again the tablet has nothing to do with the resolution of this display. I have the 2015 Vizio M and yes the tv has apps on it. But the casting feature is what makes this display unique. This was a known deal last spring that Amazon/Google dont play nice. The work arounds are finding a streaming device (like Roku/UHD Player for HDR or a firestick for 4k).

Seriously people dont get hung up on the tablet. Just use your phone with the smartcast app.
Agreed!! It seems that some people really have a hard time grasping the way that this stuff works. There is absolutely nothing special about the included tablet! It's just a generic Android tablet and has no Vizio-specific functionality (other than the apps they preload). Some people seem to think that it is somehow better or more functional than other Android (or Apple iOS) devices - but it's not.

Honestly, after the initial "cool factor" wore off, I mostly used my phone to stream stuff instead of the included tablet. There is nothing wrong with the tablet, but I just found that keeping my phone as my "central" device for everything just made more sense. I think that they mainly include the tablet just in case someone doesn't use smart phones or tablets (there are people like that!) - just so that they included everything you needed to use the set, just in case. I did also have some issues with the tablet not staying connected to my 5Ghz network, so I had to use the 2.4Ghz network on the tablet. A lot of folks had connectivity issues with the tablets.

Casting your entire screen to the M-Series display is NOT a good solution. It's very "laggy" and slow. You wouldn't want to use streaming apps like Netflix that way... It's a cool feature to play way, but not very practical for real usage in my opinion.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
danbfree likes this.
post #2802 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who have redeemed/watched the Star Trek Into the Darkness VUDU were you successful in getting ATMOS to play on your HT?
post #2803 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 796
BTW the m-series definitely supports 2160p video at 60fps. I tried casting Netflix' test pattern (just search for "test pattern" in netflix), and the Vizio app showed the TV was playing at 60fps.
post #2804 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaffles View Post
Frustrating
Again the tablet has nothing to do with the resolution of this display. I have the 2015 Vizio M and yes the tv has apps on it. But the casting feature is what makes this display unique.
Can you cast from your 2015?
post #2805 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Quote:

Agreed!! It seems that some people really have a hard time grasping the way that this stuff works. There is absolutely nothing special about the included tablet! It's just a generic Android tablet and has no Vizio-specific functionality (other than the apps they preload). Some people seem to think that it is somehow better or more functional than other Android (or Apple iOS) devices - but it's not.

Honestly, after the initial "cool factor" wore off, I mostly used my phone to stream stuff instead of the included tablet. There is nothing wrong with the tablet, but I just found that keeping my phone as my "central" device for everything just made more sense. I think that they mainly include the tablet just in case someone doesn't use smart phones or tablets (there are people like that!)
One thing I noticed on the tablet is (which is very convenient) is the side volume buttons on the tbet control the volume on the tv in any app, all apps. That's cool. The side buttons on my iPhone only will control volume on the tv just in the YouTube app only. Am I correct??
post #2806 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2807 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:29 AM

Lightbulb

Yea I see no use for the tablet, it's much slower than my Phone 6S Plus & using apps to Cast and SmartCast app....

Quote:

post #2808 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM

Question

First I have to upgrade my receiver to one that supports Atmos, I suppose. Yamaha TSR-5790BL doesn't have it... Audio showed as Dolby D+ when I streamed it.

On a related note, is upgrading to an Atmos receiver worth it over Dolby D+ audio? If so, why?

Quote:
For those who have redeemed/watched the Star Trek Into the Darkness VUDU were you successful in getting ATMOS to play on your HT?

Last edited by libertyforall; 11-22-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #2809 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So first time poster. Read through this thread when I was deciding on a TV and ended up purchasing the M-series 55" yesterday. Had to do 55" due to the space I had, and the thing just fits my entertainment stand.

First test last night casting Netflix and surprisingly my 20 MBPS Centurylink was actually getting 4K and HDR on series that had it. Youtube had struggles moving between 1080 and 4k. Overall very happy.

Only question I have, I have a I believe 2015 or 2014 Vizio soundbar that has two rear speaker and a sub. Some of the things I watched sounded great, some others didn't and had most of the sound only coming from the soundbar and not the other speakers. My question is what is the best way to hook up the speaker to get the best sound? Currently I am doing Optical to the TV to get all my devices to go through the speakers. I am not good with sound stuff so have no idea if there is a better way to do it?
post #2810 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Except you can mirror your phone/tablet through the google home app, in which case the video is being streamed to your device and from your device to the tv, not the tv directly connection to the source on the internet. I am assuming the people that are loading the amazon app, since it's not directly supported, are actually mirroring their devices to show the video on the tv. That's just an assumption on my part, I could be wrong.

------------------
Vizio M80-D3, P55-C1 UHD TV
Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR
Klipsch RP-280FA, RP-450CA LCR
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub
Nvidia Shield Console
post #2811 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Can you cast from your 2015?
A few things but no nothing like the 2016
post #2812 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 08:55 AM

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balforth View Post
Except you can mirror your phone/tablet through the google home app, in which case the video is being streamed to your device and from your device to the tv, not the tv directly connection to the source on the internet. I am assuming the people that are loading the amazon app, since it's not directly supported, are actually mirroring their devices to show the video on the tv. That's just an assumption on my part, I could be wrong.
rjhseven likes this.
post #2813 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
So first time poster. Read through this thread when I was deciding on a TV and ended up purchasing the M-series 55" yesterday. Had to do 55" due to the space I had, and the thing just fits my entertainment stand.

First test last night casting Netflix and surprisingly my 20 MBPS Centurylink was actually getting 4K and HDR on series that had it. Youtube had struggles moving between 1080 and 4k. Overall very happy.

Only question I have, I have a I believe 2015 or 2014 Vizio soundbar that has two rear speaker and a sub. Some of the things I watched sounded great, some others didn't and had most of the sound only coming from the soundbar and not the other speakers. My question is what is the best way to hook up the speaker to get the best sound? Currently I am doing Optical to the TV to get all my devices to go through the speakers. I am not good with sound stuff so have no idea if there is a better way to do it?
I also have a Vizio soundbar, but no rear speakers.

I have it hooked up by running an HDMI from the TV's port 1 (ARC), to the soundbars ARC input (confusingly it is labeled out). Since my soundbar doesn't support DD+, I have the TV set to convert all sound to regular DD. That might be where you are running into issues, it could be converting to stereo for formats your soundbar doesn't support. Its in the menu settings under audio.
post #2814 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
I also have a Vizio soundbar, but no rear speakers.

I have it hooked up by running an HDMI from the TV's port 1 (ARC), to the soundbars ARC input (confusingly it is labeled out). Since my soundbar doesn't support DD+, I have the TV set to convert all sound to regular DD. That might be where you are running into issues, it could be converting to stereo for formats your soundbar doesn't support. Its in the menu settings under audio.
I will check it out tonight. I messed with some of the audio settings when I first hooked up and couldn't change. Thanks!
post #2815 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First I have to upgrade my receiver to one that supports Atmos, I suppose. Yamaha TSR-5790BL doesn't have it... Audio showed as Dolby D+ when I streamed it.

On a related note, is upgrading to an Atmos receiver worth it over Dolby D+ audio? If so, why?
I have a Atmos equipped Denon AVR and can successfully get Atmos on blu-ray discs but could only get DD+ when watching VUDU. I thought it was mentioned some wheres that VUDU was having an issue casting Atmos?? Just making sure there wasnt a set up i missed in the audio menu of the tv. I was looking in the P forum and some can get Atmos to pass via ARC and others cant. I switched all my HDMI cables with brand new amazon 4k capable HDMI cables back in June. The only ARC issue i sometimes have is when I go from the Cast input on the tv back to HDMI1/DirecTV the audio doesnt come over. I have to toggle my AVR on/off or switch inputs on the AVR to get the audio back. I made the Cast input a separate activity on my Harmony remote to have the Denon switch the TV/Audio input as sometimes casting directly to from the HDMI 1/DirectTV the audio from DirecTV doesnt turn off.

Is atmos worth it? Kind of. I'm using a 5.2.1 set up with the Atmos top speakers sitting on my fronts. My ceilings are probably too high to get the reflective effect needed but I got a nice deal on them so I said why not. The issue could be media related as Atmos will be on most 4k/UHD releases where the plain old blu-ray will sometimes get the format. I've stated my views on here before but my days of buying movies are over with. I'm crossing my fingers that in a few years redbox will carry the new discs. I think these days any new AVR you buy will have the Atmos.
post #2816 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This tv is unnable to play a 4k video shot from gopro? I just record a short video to test, put in a usb and nothing... black screen... im very upset, chice this tv over a ks8000 and its the worst investment in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2817 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEdCeD View Post
This tv is unnable to play a 4k video shot from gopro? I just record a short video to test, put in a usb and nothing... black screen... im very upset, chice this tv over a ks8000 and its the worst investment in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If i recall the file needs to be at the top of the list on a usb. Try a blank one with only that file.
post #2818 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
Yet another question - is there a way for thto vizio to pass 5.1 audio from hdmi through the tv and out via the optical audio? I have an Xbox one s but an older receiver that doesn't support 4K. So instead of having the Xbox hdmi connect to the receiver and return audio via the ARC on HDMI1, I want to just connect the Xbox to the tv directly and have it send the audio to the receiver.

Thanks
Yes, look here under "input specifications" http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/viz...comparison_200
post #2819 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi all , I have a 2 part question, I want to get a tv with 4k, however I already have a 80" Vizio that I bought in 2.5 years ago. It's working fine but would like to have a 4k tv. Since my tv is fairly new, can I sell it? I am curious how do you guys upgrade your TV's?

The second option is to get a smaller 4k tv for the bedroom and I don't want to spend too much on it and need a 55", so I first thought of the Hisense h8c, or should I look into the vizio M 4k?

Can someone suggest what should I do?
post #2820 of 10276 Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well you can always cast the entire Android tablet to the Vizio and then you can see it on the big screen too. In fact, Vizio should have looked into better integration like that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEdCeD View Post
Should work, are they Mp4's? All the M series in best buy are running their demo's off a USB. Shouldn't be an issue. You just don't have control over what plays first, so you'd prob need to number the videos, 1,2,3,4, etc. then they should play in that order.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page