Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5368Likes

post #2821 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
I have a Atmos equipped Denon AVR and can successfully get Atmos on blu-ray discs but could only get DD+ when watching VUDU. I thought it was mentioned some wheres that VUDU was having an issue casting Atmos?? Just making sure there wasnt a set up i missed in the audio menu of the tv. I was looking in the P forum and some can get Atmos to pass via ARC and others cant. I switched all my HDMI cables with brand new amazon 4k capable HDMI cables back in June. The only ARC issue i sometimes have is when I go from the Cast input on the tv back to HDMI1/DirecTV the audio doesnt come over. I have to toggle my AVR on/off or switch inputs on the AVR to get the audio back. I made the Cast input a separate activity on my Harmony remote to have the Denon switch the TV/Audio input as sometimes casting directly to from the HDMI 1/DirectTV the audio from DirecTV doesnt turn off.

Is atmos worth it? Kind of. I'm using a 5.2.1 set up with the Atmos top speakers sitting on my fronts. My ceilings are probably too high to get the reflective effect needed but I got a nice deal on them so I said why not. The issue could be media related as Atmos will be on most 4k/UHD releases where the plain old blu-ray will sometimes get the format. I've stated my views on here before but my days of buying movies are over with. I'm crossing my fingers that in a few years redbox will carry the new discs. I think these days any new AVR you buy will have the Atmos.
Thanks for the input as we are looking at a basic Onkyo Atmos setup... As far as the HDMI cables, don't worry, any decent, modern "high speed" cable will work in short lengths. For your longer runs up to 20ft you can get Monoprice "Certified Premium" and is one of the only actual [email protected] 4:4:4 certified cables you can get for a very reasonable price. Source: I had a cheapie 4k TV before this that at least did HDMI 2.0 so experimented with a LOT of cables and was active on the HDMI cable threads for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Should work, are they Mp4's? All the M series in best buy are running their demo's off a USB. Shouldn't be an issue. You just don't have control over what plays first, so you'd prob need to number the videos, 1,2,3,4, etc. then they should play in that order.

Yes, its an mp4... and theres only one video in the usb, only for test...
Black screen ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2823 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
BTW the m-series definitely supports 2160p video at 60fps. I tried casting Netflix' test pattern (just search for "test pattern" in netflix), and the Vizio app showed the TV was playing at 60fps.
I knew the TV supported it but wasn't having any luck with the 4k 60fps clips on YouTube that had worked before on a cheapie TV with a Roku 4... Good to hear that Netflix at least supports it through casting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Yea I see no use for the tablet, it's much slower than my Phone 6S Plus & using apps to Cast and SmartCast app....
I'd say the tablet is about the same speed as an Iphone 6. It's not the fastest but I love using it when my phone dies and with my home automation stuff when my phone dies... The main thing i like is the side volume buttons on the tablet contol volume on the tv in EVERY app used!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balforth View Post
Except you can mirror your phone/tablet through the google home app, in which case the video is being streamed to your device and from your device to the tv, not the tv directly connection to the source on the internet. I am assuming the people that are loading the amazon app, since it's not directly supported, are actually mirroring their devices to show the video on the tv. That's just an assumption on my part, I could be wrong.
Can we have instructions on how to do this again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Can you cast on 2015's? A few things but no nothing like the 2016
Ok, yea, I just replaced my 2014 80" M series, and recently noticed I could cast videos from my Chrome browser all of a sudden. And from the Youtube app, and 1-2 other apps. Is that what you meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all , I have a 2 part question, I want to get a tv with 4k, however I already have a 80" Vizio that I bought in 2.5 years ago. It's working fine but would like to have a 4k tv. Since my tv is fairly new, can I sell it? I am curious how do you guys upgrade your TV's?

The second option is to get a smaller 4k tv for the bedroom and I don't want to spend too much on it and need a 55", so I first thought of the Hisense h8c, or should I look into the vizio M 4k?

Yes, actually, this is just what I did! You have the M801D-A3 3d edge lit? The biggest difference is the CONTRAST, it really pops now. And the old 80" from back then was an IPS panel, better side viewing, but at the loss of contrast from the front. New one is a VA panel. You probably don't want your better tv to be in your bedroom

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #2825 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Sure -- you just need the "Google Home" app from the play store:

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6059461?hl=en

------------------
Vizio M80-D3, P55-C1 UHD TV
Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR
Klipsch RP-280FA, RP-450CA LCR
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub
Nvidia Shield Console
post #2826 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balforth View Post
Sure -- you just need the "Google Home" app from the play store:

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6059461?hl=en
Ok, thanks. I was able to do it the other week, then forgot how I did it. This is one other perk to having this tablet, BECAUSE you cannot do this with an iphone. The tablet is the only android device I own. There are instances where I'd want to use this feature... Am I right that there is no way to do this on an iphone?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #2827 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Try Cast Mirroring from a 4K capable computer using Chrome for Amazon Video -- I think that may work?
If you have a 4k capable computer, you can at least connect over HDMI to a 4k desktop on the display and run Amazon from a browser... it's only 1080p content but with the TV itself displaying the full 4k it looks very clean scaled perfectly. I watched The Grand Tour and it looked fantastic!
post #2828 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I'm thinking about the 60 inch set. Any 60 inch owners want to speak to their viewing experience. I know the 60 has an IPS panel which is different from the 55/65 inch, hence why I'm asking.

Thanks
post #2829 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
I'm thinking about the 60 inch set. Any 60 inch owners want to speak to their viewing experience. I know the 60 has an IPS panel which is different from the 55/65 inch, hence why I'm asking.

Thanks
I've lived with IPS panels and VA panels. If you sit mainly in front of the TV, the VA is better. Deeper blacks and better contrast, especially in movies. If the tv is in an area where it's going to be harsh off center viewing angles, you'd be best with IPS. More people are chosing VA since it's the best picture quality.
Setzer and danbfree like this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2830 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've lived with IPS panels and VA panels. If you sit mainly in front of the TV, the VA is better. Deeper blacks and better contrast, especially in movies. If the tv is in an area where it's going to be harsh off center viewing angles, you'd be best with IPS. More people are chosing VA since it's the best picture quality.
Thanks Jasonn. I've also only owned VA Panels for the last 6 years. I have a 55 inch Samsung right now and want to go bigger. 65 is as far as I can go and I'm intrigued by the M Series as it's right in my budget. Decisions, decisions
post #2831 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd say the tablet is about the same speed as an Iphone 6. It's not the fastest but I love using it when my phone dies and with my home automation stuff when my phone dies... The main thing i like is the side volume buttons on the tablet contol volume on the tv in EVERY app used!!

Ok, yea, I just replaced my 2014 80" M series, and recently noticed I could cast videos from my Chrome browser all of a sudden. And from the Youtube app, and 1-2 other apps. Is that what you meant?
If you aren't using the TV speakers (who does?) then the volume controls do nothing... unless maybe you havea Vizio soundbar connected too?

To cast the whole tablet screen just swipe down the main tablet menu from the top and the cast/mirroring button is in there.
post #2832 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jasonn. I've also only owned VA Panels for the last 6 years. I have a 55 inch Samsung right now and want to go bigger. 65 is as far as I can go and I'm intrigued by the M Series as it's right in my budget. Decisions, decisions
I originally has Vizio's first and largest 60" plasma, 8-9 years ago, the VM-60, then went to the 2013/14 80" 1080p IPS, then as of a few weeks ago the 2016 80" VA. This is the best by far. Movie watching at night with the contrast benefits of the VA makes the biggest difference. I'm also not perfectly in front of the tv, I'm off a little to the side and no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post

If you aren't using the TV speakers (who does?) then the volume controls do nothing... unless maybe you havea Vizio soundbar connected too?
Well, currently I'm using the tv speakers, and the only reason is, I got somehwat lucky, since the tv sits above the mantle, the sounds reflects off the mantle and doesn't sound that bad. I'm though looking to recess a sound bar inside the middle of the mantle with a white speaker fabric custom. This won't be easy, but the way this setup is, seeing a sound bar will NOT look right.

Like this, cut into the middle:

As you can see, a sound bar won't look right. And when I tested this, it's back so far that the sound reflects weird when your ears hear it... So, my next question is, does anyone have the Vizio SmartCast sound bar with this the new M series? Would this work best in terms of functionality with the vizio app, etc. turning the tv on/off and sound bar will automatically just work with no extra remotes???

Quote:
To cast the whole tablet screen just swipe down the main tablet menu from the top and the cast/mirroring button is in there.
Wow, that's a cool goose egg!
BFJ 96 likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 11-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.
post #2833 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What does that mean? Good trick?
post #2834 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As you can see, a sound bar won't look right:

!
Just get a "real" soundbar, they are very wide and short now and will look good on that mantle, that's what I do... Very decent Samsung/LG/Vizio ones can be had for $150 on up, depending on how much you want to spend... If I was at home I'd put a pic up of my setup that is very similar but with a wide short soundbar
post #2835 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, goose egg, good trick. I edited my post.. Read again. The issue with the sound bar is mounting it below the tv, that mantle is like 3 feet DEEP, and when you are on my couch, which is much lower, the sound is shooting out way above your ears at the height the sound bar would be at.... See what I mean? argh.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2836 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Jasonn B

I think it would look good...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ca16c357_image.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1784169  
post #2837 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea, goose egg, good trick. I edited my post.. Read again. The issue with the sound bar is mounting it below the tv, that mantle is like 3 feet DEEP, and when you are on my couch, which is much lower, the sound is shooting out way above your ears at the height the sound bar would be at.... See what I mean? argh.
I see, I keep my soundbar just an inch or so from the edge to protect it from fireplace heat but best sound... then pick up a $40 arm mount and have your TV stick out closer to you too but still behind the edge of the mantle for heat protection there as well.
post #2838 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again. Yea, I can't change the mount again on that beast. I have it perfectly mounted right now, and it looks great. This seems to be best option, but It would look better than this with the white speaker fabric.

Then I'd add this molding around the center area to cover any uneven cut marks:

The area in here is all hollow also, and doesn't get hot.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 11-22-2016 at 10:59 AM.
post #2839 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
With FALD an IPS panel will produce better blacks than without FALD, but ya, I'd avoid an IPS panel unless you watch TV mostly always in a well lit room and need wide viewing angles.. i'd step up to the 65" for $1000 if you can, this is a great TV for the money.
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #2840 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Can anyone put an 4k video in usb stick and play on your vizio m series 2016?
post #2841 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEdCeD View Post
Can anyone put an 4k video in usb stick and play on your vizio m series 2016?
Just stick it in, and it should work, that's what she said But try it.

There is no media interface on the usb like there was on the older Vizio Tv's with the VIA platform. Remember, this tv has no applications that locally show on the display. Since the TV is meant for cast, and with the crap load of cast apps you should be able to cast anything to the display from local or media servers like PLex. You really should install plex on your PC and on your phone.

Also, another great app is "allcast" which you can download for free and cast anything local on your phone (pictures or video) to the vizio chromecast.
danbfree and mike1sc like this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2842 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At Costco right now. For the price the 65M is a helluva deal. The wife is giving me push back with the old

"We don't need a new TV right now" gag.

Argghhh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #2843 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Ok, yea, I just replaced my 2014 80" M series,
Yes, actually, this is just what I did! You have the M801D-A3 3d edge lit? The biggest difference is the CONTRAST, it really pops now. And the old 80" from back then was an IPS panel, better side viewing, but at the loss of contrast from the front. New one is a VA panel. You probably don't want your better tv to be in your bedroom

I was hoping you would respond as as you had helped with my previous purchase as well. I don't want the 4k TV in the bedroom, but what do I do with the current 80" tv? I can't justify since it working fine. How did you get rid of yours? did you sell it?

Is the 55" VA panel? will it do well in a somewhat bright room with a window on the side?

Any comments on the Hisense, I just want to get a 4k tv and Hisense was the cheapest, and then I started researching more and got back on comparing it with the Vizio M. Want to take advantage of the sales this week.
post #2844 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Just stick it in, and it should work, that's what she said But try it.

There is no media interface on the usb like there was on the older Vizio Tv's with the VIA platform. Remember, this tv has no applications that locally show on the display. Since the TV is meant for cast, and with the crap load of cast apps you should be able to cast anything to the display from local or media servers like PLex. You really should install plex on your PC and on your phone.

Also, another great app is "allcast" which you can download for free and cast anything local on your phone (pictures or video) to the vizio chromecast.
ok, bot mine only play 1080P mp4 videos. In the same usb stick also have a 4k video in mp4 format, but nothing, only blak screen
post #2845 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I was hoping you would respond as as you had helped with my previous purchase as well. I don't want the 4k TV in the bedroom, but what do I do with the current 80" tv? I can't justify since it working fine.
I helped you before? How?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2846 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Originally Posted by Jasonn B

Quote:
What does that mean? Good trick?
I think the term he was looking for was "easter egg" - which refers to a hidden feature or benefit. But this wasn't really an easter egg, so much as a standard feature of the application.
post #2847 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw360 View Post
Originally Posted by Jasonn B

I think the term he was looking for was "easter egg" - which refers to a hidden feature or benefit. But this wasn't really an easter egg, so much as a standard feature of the application.
Ya, took me a second but then realized what he meant... Goose egg mostly means a bad thing, like a "0" on the scoreboard for sports so I thought for a second I said something dumb! lol
post #2848 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WHOOPS! Yes, that's what I meant. Man, I've never gotten so many email notifications from a forum in my life. This place is like a live feed and it's clogging my brain.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #2849 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

Google Home on iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...680819774?mt=8

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I was able to do it the other week, then forgot how I did it. This is one other perk to having this tablet, BECAUSE you cannot do this with an iphone. The tablet is the only android device I own. There are instances where I'd want to use this feature... Am I right that there is no way to do this on an iphone?
post #2850 of 10305 Old 11-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb

Fireplace TVs don't work so well for a full range sound system, I have a 7.1 set of Polk Audio speakers and like it very much:

https://www.polkaudio.com/collection...io/rtia-series

Quote:
Well, currently I'm using the tv speakers, and the only reason is, I got somehwat lucky, since the tv sits above the mantle, the sounds reflects off the mantle and doesn't sound that bad. I'm though looking to recess a sound bar inside the middle of the mantle with a white speaker fabric custom. This won't be easy, but the way this setup is, seeing a sound bar will NOT look right.

As you can see, a sound bar won't look right. And when I tested this, it's back so far that the sound reflects weird when your ears hear it... So, my next question is, does anyone have the Vizio SmartCast sound bar with this the new M series? Would this work best in terms of functionality with the vizio app, etc. turning the tv on/off and sound bar will automatically just work with no extra remotes???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page