Latest LG 65UF9500 Firmware Update-HDR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Latest LG 65UF9500 Firmware Update-HDR?

I have the 65 UF9500 that has now been replaced by the UH models that support HDR on the 9500. I have auto update turned on and yesterday, it told me that I had an update.

Wow, I can't believe the difference in the picture quality. I thought it was great before yet now it is unbelievable.

I was watching Face The Nation this morning and said to myself, the facial tones, colors and blacks look great.

Does anyone know exactly what changes LG made in the new 40501 release?

Can HDR be added with a firmware upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes HDR10 support can be added by a firmware upgrade but not sure if this model is getting it, though it should be capable of HDR10 (via usb & streaming). Apparently LG added HDR support via firmware back in Jan 2016 to the colourprime series, which this model of TV was top of the range in 2015. Google, "lg to release hdr update to a few 2015 tvs" and checkout the avsforums thread.

So if you want to check if you have HDR support I would suggest downloading the LG Chess HDR demo video visit demo-uhd3d.com and look for LG_Chess_HDR.mp4. Put it on a usb stick and see if you get the HDR enabled notification when it starts playing.

I have the Australian version of your TV lg-65UF950T but unfortunately the last firmware for it was back in jan....though right now i am downloading the hdr demo video and am going to check if it is supported properly.

Cheers
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 PM

Just to update i have just manually installed UK 65UF950V 04.05.01 firmware via usb onto my 65UF950T and boom it now supports HDR via USB and Streaming services. Note I don't think it will support HDR via a UHD blu-ray player as the HDMI ports are 2.0 and not 2.0a. When i decide to get a UHD blue-ray player i guess i will find out but from all accounts online it does not support HDR via HDMI.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-12-2016, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there guys & gals,
I've got the 55UF950V with the 04.05.01 firmware. It works with HDR for test videos on usb-sticks, but I've not found any other use for it. Has anyone with the UF9500 series manage to get HDR on netflix yet? Amazon isn't available in Norway, so atm I've got zero use for the HDR support. Netflix and LG support are not of any help. Each referring to each other. If you have got HDR in Netflix, which app-version are you on? (the LG store says there's no new versions available, so I assume I'm on the latest - last updated about 1-2 months ago.)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am not getting HDR on Netflix either... I'm not seeing the HDR logo on Marco Polo or any other 4K listings... I'm only getting the "4K Ultra HD" banner next to the title. My internet bandwidth is fine and I can get the "HDR Ultra HD" Banner on Amazon content, and the "HDR is on" banner on my tv as well, and it sure does look nice. It is also my understanding that the UF9500 is a "Netflix Certified" tv too. I know Netflix is currently offering Dolby Vision, just not sure about HDR10. Maybe when the PS4Pro launches they will support HDR10? That was one of Sony's highlights on the PS4Pro announcement about partnering up with Netflix and YouTube for 4K HDR streaming, and we all know Sony is not supporting Dolby Vision, so...
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Just turned on my tv, launched Netflix and it notified me there was an update. Updated to version 1.4.5, and.... We now have HDR!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, Just wanted to clarify that HDR update only works through USB and online content and not through HDMI... is that correct? Samsung and Sony have recently updated their TVs thru a firmware to support HDR content through HDMI aswell... Any chance the same is possible with LG?

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Liked: 14
Can anyone confirm is this manual update works on a US 65UB9500? I don't want to attempt a firmware upgrade and risk potentially bricking my TV if it is not supported.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell50 View Post
Can anyone confirm is this manual update works on a US 65UB9500? I don't want to attempt a firmware upgrade and risk potentially bricking my TV if it is not supported.
You should have Automatic updates switched on in your settings (or go to settings and click the "check for update") and your tv wil ldownload the latest firmware. It has been ages since they last did a firmware release for the 5UF9500 (its a 2 year old tv).

The last release LG did supports HDR via usb and the installed TV apps (amazon / netflix) but you will not get HDR through the HDMI ports as the ports are 2.0 and not 2.0a.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page