Vizio 2016 6" Tablet Remote (XR6P10) for the 2016 Display Devices - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #91 of 261 Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post

I recently migrated from a Nexus 7 2013 tablet to the Vizio [Tablet].

I'm running out of storage space, as I have over 100 Apps! I'm gonna have to start deleting some as I have a huge Giggle Play Wish List to go through.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 09-13-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 261 Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Hey Fate, thanks for that link. In simple layman's speak, whadduzit mean to me with my pre-2011 NetGear Router and my ISP speed of 20Mbps?

(My ISP has two-bonded channels.)

(Sent from somewhere, somehow, someday.)

Not much, it would help internal network speeds only if they were all AC. I have ~180Mbps so I needed to upgrade to access the better speeds and Also I wanted gig ports for my NAS. You'd do ok with an N router and even that would have a lot of headroom with you ISP speed.

Sent from the blue nowhere
post #93 of 261 Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

You'd do ok with an N router and even that
would have a lot of headroom with you[r] ISP speed.

Sent from the blue nowhere.

That's what I have... a NetGear 'N' Router.

Thanks.

Sent from Today's Tomorrow which was Yesterday.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 261 Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Anyone have a good rooting link to share for this tablet? Its been awhile since I have done it.

Thanks in advanced
post #95 of 261 Old 09-15-2016, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post

Anyone have a good rooting link to share for this tablet?

Its been awhile since I have done it.

Hmm. Don't know about a link, but I'll give it try...

Yeah! Go Tabby Go!

WoW! Touchdown, Vizio Tablet!

Fight Tabby, FIGHT!

Everybody Now... ROOT For the Vizio 6" Tablet!

post #96 of 261 Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post
Anyone have a good rooting link to share for this tablet? Its been awhile since I have done it.

Thanks in advanced

There was one in the owners thread, but it came with "strings"....if you do a search for root in that thread you should find it.

Sent from the blue nowhere
post #97 of 261 Old 10-17-2016, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
charging

Is it just me or does this tablet charge very slow on the wireless charging base? I just switched to the cord itself to see if its any better.
post #98 of 261 Old 10-17-2016, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauber103 View Post
Is it just me or does this tablet charge very slow on the wireless charging base? I just switched to the cord itself to see if its any better.
Takes mine a few hours from ~40% charge.
post #99 of 261 Old 10-18-2016, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauber103 View Post

Is it just me or does this tablet charge very slow
on the wireless charging base?

I just switched to the cord itself to see if its any better.

It's just you.

Actually, it is faster with the direct-connect. Wireless charging isn't 'free'. It comes at a price. Not as efficient vs directly connected.

Also, it'll obviously charge slower by either method depending on what's running and how bright the screen is, plus what the delay is set for to 'blank' the screen.

The fastest charge is to shut down the Tabby.

post #100 of 261 Old 10-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I must be the only person that loves the Smartcast App from Vizio. I recently finished my man cave basement and have 3 Vizios hanging on the same wall. I have a Vizio M70 as my main display flanked by 2 Vizio E-Series 50 1080p Displays (E50-D1) with tuner.

When I first started this journey of building the basement (with the help of lurking this forum), I thought I would have to incorporate an 4x4 HDMI matrix switch and a bunch of other complexity to get everything to work on the 3 TVs on the wall to watch multiple games. Granted, my original plan was to use Directv for all the screens, but I first bought the M70 and discovered casting and Playstation Vue. I then tried an OTA antenna and discovered that even thought I was over 40 miles from 1 TV market and 60 miles from another that I could get those signals pretty well with some trial and error. I then added 1 E50-D1 and hooked it up the to an antenna to see if I could control both displays with the tablet remote. I named the M70 "Middle TV" and named the E50 "Left TV". From the tablet, I was able to cast to the middle TV and then select left TV and tune to FOX and watch a game. Oh boy, I'm still was still in the Vue trial, but decided to bite the bullet and subscribe and also add NFL Redzone.

Redzone was awesome on Vue, but I wanted my Redskins on the M70 so I added a Homeworx STB to the M70 so I could watch broadcast TV on the bigscreen. I purchased a Homeworx HW180STB and ran it through my Xbox on HDMI 5 on the M70 and it worked flawlessly. (A little slow changing channels but not a problem as I put my team on that screen and don't really change it on game day). I used the Smartcast tablet to cast PS Vue Redzone to Left TV for Redzone. Ok, this proof of concept is working so I added a Right TV (Another E50) and named it Right TV. Using the tablet remote, I am able to tune that TV to the CBS game all with using a single remote. This is amazing! A few weeks ago, I wanted Redzone, Fox and FS1 so I needed to cast another PS Vue to one of the displays. I downloaded PS Vue on my phone as was able to cast the Nats Game to Right TV. Now I have from left to right on 3 TV's - Jets/Pittsburg on left TV, Redskins/Baltimore on Middle TV and the Nations on FS1 on Right TV.

Anyway, I think the app/remote is great and love the fact that I can control all 3 displays from a single tablet without any complexity. The app and Vizio displays/TVs have taken me on a journey recently that have me amazed by how things have changed over the years.
libertyforall likes this.
post #101 of 261 Old 10-29-2016, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post
My tablet has stopped the wake on picking it up option. I always have to hit the power button to wake it. I've rebooted many times, verified all current updates and even toggled the wake screen when you pick up option. It used to work but even shaking it does nothing.
I did some investigation last night and was able to resolve this issue for me. I reported the details to Vizio, but I am not quite certain the Tech Support Rep understood what I was trying to convey.

The issue of "wake on pick-up no longer works" seems to require that you have a Security Lock enabled. I tested this on tablet version: XR6P10.03.79.00.04

Fix:

1. Settings
  2. Display
  3. Ensure "Ambient Display" is ON (slider to the right)
  4. Back to Settings
  5. Security
  6. Set "Screen Lock" to "Swipe"
Toggle the "Screen Lock" to "None" and the "wake on pick-up" stops working again until you re-enable a Screen Lock (I only tested with "Swipe).
post #102 of 261 Old 10-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediastuff View Post
Toggle the "Screen Lock" to "None" and the "wake on pick-up" stops working again until you re-enable a Screen Lock (I only tested with "Swipe).
I was able to confirm this behavior here too.
post #103 of 261 Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Love the tablet so far very few issues from my tablet never owned a tablet before this one but im loving it just wish it had more storage.
post #104 of 261 Old 10-29-2016, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingaudio28 View Post

Love the tablet.

So far very few issues from my tablet.
Never owned a tablet before this one but I'm
loving it. Just wish it had more storage.

Ha! That's what I thought. Need more storage. I must cut some of the 100+ total Apps.

post #105 of 261 Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 172
1) What's the easiest way to see the menu at the top that tells you if the content is 720, 1080, or 4k? RIght now I have to always open the app, then go down to the hdmi I'm currently on, then tap it again to see that top menu. Every time. It's annoying.

2) When using the tablet, the side volume buttons with control the tv volume. WIth the Vizio Smartcast app on my iphone, the side buttons only sometimes control the volume of the tv. Are there only certain times that will work?

3) For those with Comcast X1 box. When you click the Live TV tab and try to add comcast, it doesn't seem to show anything?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #106 of 261 Old 11-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I installed my M80-D3 yesterday and the Android tablet comes with a two year old Android 5.1.1, why in a 2016 product?! Anyone else have an Android version higher? I called Vizio and they claimed I should get Android 6.x but when I check for updates nothing is available and they cannot force it to be available and say it will be available when ever it is ready. I find that reply totally unacceptable. 7.1 is the current Android version, not 2014 5.1.1! (Reposting this post to this relevant thread from the '16 M Owners Thread)
post #107 of 261 Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Lightbulb

Click the input button on the remote and let it sit on the input for a few seconds and you will get a display that shows the source resolution at the top of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
1) What's the easiest way to see the menu at the top that tells you if the content is 720, 1080, or 4k? RIght now I have to always open the app, then go down to the hdmi I'm currently on, then tap it again to see that top menu. Every time. It's annoying.
post #108 of 261 Old 11-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Vizio 2016 6" Tablet Remote (XR6P10) for the 2016 Display Devices

The battery life on the tablet is just horrible. Sometimes i don't even use it for 2 days and its out of battery. When checking what drained the battery, it says it was the screen being ON for just 45min???? Seriously??. Also, the lack of updates to android 6 and 7 it is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rpcz; 11-02-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #109 of 261 Old 11-02-2016, 01:51 PM

Thumbs down

Here's the other issue with the tablet, using it to Cast Amazon Video is just a sad joke, it does not work in any useable way -- stutters so bad it is unwatchable -- and only 720P on M-Series tablets:

http://chromecasthelp.net/chromecast...video-android/

You know, my 2014 P70 played Amazon Video in 4K just fine, direct from the TV, this is a step down for a two years newer model TV, Vizio!

Funny because Amazon Video AirPlays just fine to my Apple TV from my iPhone 6S+.

Last edited by libertyforall; 11-02-2016 at 02:16 PM.
post #110 of 261 Old 11-03-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not really worried about the tablet OS version. Newer could run slower, since this isn't a super robust tablet. My iphone is quicker, but I still like the tablet. I'm sure they did this to keep it on a stable platform. If they testrf it, and find it to work better, they'd release and update I'm sure. You always have to take into account the stability of the application version VS Performance on the tablet itself. I think the tablet it mainly meant to be a static piece of equipment that allows the flexibility of all apps that on board platforms can’t. I've seen others in the cast world who are cautious when introducing people to new technology - not to overwhelm them with interface changes super quick. There is a huge amount of people that are just getting acquainted with using a smart device as a primary control.

Now, us, the 1% of techies will always want the latest, but I don't really care because a newer version tablet won't affect the PQ or Display performance. Again, newer version and the vizio app on that tablet could run worse.

Take my parents for example, they won’t update anything if they aren’t forced too. Many people don’t want things to change especially a remote or functionality.

This is interesting too. Less than 10% of phones in the world have updated to Marshmallow, with Lollipop, Kitkat and Jellybean making up 90% of the usage. Based on the Google play store data I recently saw.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #111 of 261 Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something very cool I just found out. If the TV is off... You can go to youtube, or plex, or any casting app and if you cast the video from your phone, WITH THE TV OFF, it will automatically turn the tv on and play the video immediately... I was in another room, and had some friends in the family room near the tv when I did this. Very cool.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #112 of 261 Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpcz View Post

The battery life on the tablet is just horrible.

Sometimes I don't even use it for 2 days and it's out of battery.

When checking what drained the battery, it says it
was the screen being ON for just 45min? Seriously?

If you don't use it for two days, why is not docked and/or why is the Tablet not Off?

I have my screen to time-out after 1-minute. I have the Brightness fairly low.

If you use the Tablet for 45 minutes with enough Brightness, and depending what Apps
are running in the background - let alone foreground - then yeah, the battery drain can
be kind of significant.

You might have Notifications turning your screen On. This can be adjusted to not have
the screen activated unless you tap the screen or top button.

Also, when Apps are 'Closed', they're not necessarily 'Off' or 'dead'. Apps can still run
in the background and do their thing while 'Closed' or minimized.

I have a weather radar App that makes the back of the Tabby HOT!

post #113 of 261 Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

1) When using tablet and watching tv on the input for your cable box, you can control volume of TV with the side buttons on the tablet, but on an iphone with vizio app installed, the side volume buttons won't control volume of tv. That normal?

2) Who's using this with comcast and trying to use the LIVE TV fucntion from the app? I can't get it to change the channel from the Vizio APP. Isn't it supposed to work like that?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #114 of 261 Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have any of you used the LIVE TV feature with the Vizio app on the tablet or your phone? I think its supposed to control your cable box to change channels? See the video I just made. Cannot get it to work.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #115 of 261 Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some other cool stuff on remote that you may not know:

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #116 of 261 Old 11-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairpost View Post
I have the M-series, a slightly lower level tablet; less memory, lower resolution. That said, the P-Series may be much improved over the M-series...but my version's touch screen (Capacitive sensing, pressure sensitive part) is the worst I've used in 10+ years. The sensitivity and accuracy is horrible compared to any modern touch screen, I've used mostly iOS devices going back to the iPhone 4 but I used a couple Android devices as well (family, friends)

I loaded the Smartcast app on my iPhone and iPad and it's wonderful to use, it's responsive, accurate, but I only use it to make display adjustments and cast Youtube 4K demo videos, otherwise Harmony does everything else. I think it should be an option ($50), I didn't need yet another tablet and I suspect most people buying one of the 2016 displays already has one or three that will work. If Vizio had actually integrated the app to leverage the device, I might sing a different tune but for me it's an inferior tablet I didn't need at all.

I've had zero issues with it or iOS devices remaining sync'd with display. I would suspect wifi issues if I did.
Totally agree.. This M series remote is able to cast 1 out of 100 (or maybe 100000000) times and that one time that it does cast is because you just spent 25 minutes in re-configuring the remote with TV from the scratch.. The internet connection to view content on the tablet itself seems to be working better but the "connection" needed to cast, forget it...
post #117 of 261 Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM
RRF

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I luv this remote.
Smartcast had a few issues but there were 2 updates in the last week and it solved those.

I am running Kodi, Yatse, HDHomeRun Off-Air TV, Harmony remote, AVR_remote, VPN, Games, and all kinds of apps.
And all the same apps and features are on my Nexus phone, so whichever is within reach, works.

It took a while to figure out how to stream my movie collection using Kodi to the display, but it is working great....even 4K.
You find that info in another thread.

The only drawback is Google's lack of support for DTS pass-through over SDPIF and TOSLINK. But that is Google's doing with all GoogleCast devices, not Vizio's...and there are work-arounds for that also.
post #118 of 261 Old 11-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I think the Chromecast Ultra setup built into the device is awesome. You can thank Amazon for not supporting Chromecast. Try and buy a P or M series TV on Amazon, too. Good luck. They want you to buy their Fire TV devices and cast to those. Since they have a lot of HDR content I ordered a Roku Premiere+ to watch it with. Black Friday price of $84 at Amazon. If you have Android phones, the casting works really well. I like having the tablet be separate from my phone, but it's nice to pick up my Pixel and pause whatever is casting immediately.

The iPhone won't work as well with the tablet, it doesn't have casting awareness built in. No lock screen awareness.

The PlayStation VUE app works flawlessly on the tablet, add my Sonos app to control sound, my TiVo app for OTA and now the Roku app and with the XR6P10 I just dumped several remotes that are always put in the wrong spots. Sonos and Netflix both work on the notifications pulldown from the lock screen, so I can kill the video as fast as a buttoned remote and the instant casting is amazing vs. picking inputs.

Excellent tablet for the job in my opinion.
inPicton likes this.
post #119 of 261 Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Android Malware Hits One Million Users

post #120 of 261 Old 12-01-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Don't have much time on the tablet yet, but I like what I see. No issues with anything, good connectivity, solid battery life and was surprised to find it was as much a tablet as an actual remote. I deal with mobile tech for a living, so this was certainly a nice surprise.

Actually made me wonder why they quit making phones, they didn't make many (VP800) but this little slate is pretty nice. I've used it more than my phone even though I have Smartcast on both.

I did thing we could get first dibs on 4K streaming through the play store and am surprised that hasn't happened yet. Would love to see Amazon come into the fold as the HDR streaming selection is so thin, but what can you do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page