**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #841 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankbl View Post
This is a HUGE thread. Also, I've been following this thread from the last 25 pages. So maybe someone could help me out with an answer to my question, thanks!
The thread is only 28 pages so you wont have much to catch up. Its actually tiny compared to most. Probaby take about 30 minutes to read.
King Richard and drunkonpiss like this.

Licence to Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
The thread is only 28 pages so you wont have much to catch up. Its actually tiny compared to most. Probaby take about 30 minutes to read.
I'm on Tapatalk, showing 85 pages. Again, could someone please help out with my question? Thanks.
post #843 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankbl View Post
I'm on Tapatalk, showing 85 pages. Again, could someone please help out with my question? Thanks.
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/questio...1210002AAe1u7s

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Sleep timer function?

Just unboxed my Costco 40 inch 6290, and I was slightly disappointed to find that while many of the buttons on an older Samsung remote work on it, the "Sleep timer" button does not. The only way to access it is with its Smart remote a few layers deep in the Setup menu.

Anyone have an older Samsung remote where the "Sleep" button works on this series, and if so, what is the remote's model number please?

Did a quick setup and test viewing to make sure the thing was functional, and it's currently sitting in a spare room outgassing the toxic fumes from the glues and plastics used to make it (my wife is quite sensitive to that stuff - makes her ill if it's intense enough). Looks pretty decent for an entry level set. The built-in Plex app is quite poor compared to my Amazon Fire or Roku3. I have yet to agree to Samsung's (lack of) privacy terms and conditions, so Plex is the only app that runs at the moment.
post #845 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Agreed! Have you checked out time changes?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I don't know about that one but I did see Samsung HDR Wonderland. Samsung Chasing the lights. LG Chess. Those look amazing.

I'd like to see this set side by side with the Ks8000 showing the same content.

I know our set isn't true hdr but is there a way to tell if our set is reading hdr?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #846 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So my old Samsung 61" DLP 1080P (HLS6167) has been slowly dying over the years, not just the lamp; but I think the color wheel bearing is going out (high pitch noise for about 30min after turning on), and random yellow blotches on screen then shuts off.
So BF I snagged what I thought will be my next new TV for 8-10yrs, and decided to spend a little extra for this 4K thing I keep seeing everywhere. I bought a Samsung KU6300. Got it for $559 w/free ship direct from samsung.

So Now I've had it a week, it's super bright, been tweaking the settings a bit, think I found a good spot. I have a Dish Hopper 3 as my provider, and OTA antenna with tons of locals. No blu-ray, Amazon, netflix etc. My DSL 'high' speed is a whopping 12M (paid for, actual is closer to 8M, Netflix/fast.com is consistent 8.x). So apparently I won't be streaming 4K anytime soon. I can't even get my Hopper to download a 4K superstore show to see what it would look like.

So a few questions:
What can I feed this thing to see what 4K would look like? Can I download on my PC something and watch on the set somehow?

What can I put in the USB ports? thumb drives, TB hard drive with own power? What formats can the TV watch?

Is there an OTA guide (like tivo/dish?) or is it just the info as you change channels?

From the Dish board looks like it's going to be a live with it; but watching some shows, there's some jitter/jutter. Most noticeable is on ABC, say Designated Survivor for example. Particularly when people are walking, it's like watching youtube (remember I have slow speeds); yet audio is not affected. I have the Dish set to output 4k/1080i/p. I've used the settings found in here on the 'official 6300' thread /rtings site, and a new HDMI cable, and it's helped some; but still there. Any other suggestions?

I do have a large DVD collection, but rarely watch anything anymore; I was thinking of getting a BR player; but sure I'd use it much; don't want to re-purchase my collection. But IF I were to, is there such a beast that would double as an external BR Burner for my PC's, and also have an HDMI output to play on the TV?
post #847 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
What can I feed this thing to see what 4K would look like? Can I download on my PC something and watch on the set somehow?
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=lg

Download the videos you want, put them on a USB stick, put the stick into the USB socket on the TV, select USB as the source.

The files are large, the site is slow, you may want to try one overnight with your slower Internet, see if it plays.

Quote:
is there such a beast that would double as an external BR Burner for my PC's, and also have an HDMI output to play on the TV?
Not that I know of. It's almost always one or the other.
post #848 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Yes, this tv has an OTA Guide. Accessed through the Smart Hub.
post #849 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 04:32 PM

How does the 50" KU6300 compare to the 50" Vizio M502i-B1?
post #850 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

40KU6290 IR sensor location?

Trying to locate the IR sensor on my 40KU6290. I need to place an IR emitter on it.

Info is not in the full manual, nor in the Quick-Start, nor on Samsung's site, nor anywhere I can find in Google.
post #851 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, this tv has an OTA Guide. Accessed through the Smart Hub.
Thanks, of course now I see it, but could't get it loaded earlier.

Started downloading a 3min demo video, says it will only take 2 hours... so guess no online 4K in my future =(
post #852 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I have to disagree. If you're feeding a true 10 bit image of, say, a glowing orange sunset or rolling fog into an 8 bit panel, and the transitions within the grads are smooth because of some trickeration the monitor is employing, it is a given that the image has to be softer and/or display some motion artifacts in order to achieve that. As to how many viewers out of 100 would notice that at normal viewing distances, well, not many.

If it were indistinguishable, it's unlikely manufacturers would spend the extra money it takes to make or buy a 10 bit panel.

Many "experts", such as Stacey Spears (Chief Color Scientist at SpectraCal and Co-Creator of Spears & Munsil), have stated that, in many cases, they could not see a difference between the two. In fact, Stacey has said that in some cases, 8-bit+FRC can actually looked better (the gradients can be smoother) than native 10-bit. It all comes down to how well the FRC is implemented.

Here is a quote from a post by Scott Wilkinson: "Temporal dithering, often called frame-rate control (FRC)... works so well, it's even used in some professional monitors that are widely used in color grading... Unfortunately, some manufacturers, such as Samsung and Sony, do not officially reveal the bit depth of the panels in their HDR displays, saying that an 8-bit panel with good processing can perform better than a 10-bit panel with poor processing." [LINK]

Many review sites, such as rtings.com have also stated the same thing:

"With good dithering, the result can look very much like higher bit-depth... We do not differentiate between native 10-bit color and 8-bit color + dithering, because we score the end result of how smooth the gradient is... we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth." [LINK]

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 12-11-2016 at 01:36 AM.
post #853 of 2409 Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just got this TV and it is amazing. I'm using a SoundBar but I did notice it has some form of bluetooth wireless speaker support. Do you guys think it's possible to have the Optical out from the TV to a SoundBar and Bluetooth for the wireless surround?
post #854 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan5d View Post
Just got this TV and it is amazing. I'm using a SoundBar but I did notice it has some form of bluetooth wireless speaker support. Do you guys think it's possible to have the Optical out from the TV to a SoundBar and Bluetooth for the wireless surround?
No
post #855 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Many "experts", such as Stacey Spears (Chief Color Scientist at SpectraCal and Co-Creator of Spears & Munsil), have stated that, in many cases, they could not see a difference between the two. In fact, Stacey has said that in some cases, 8-bit+FRC can actually looked better (the gradients can be smoother) than native 10-bit. It all comes down to how well the FRC is implemented.

Here is a quote from a post by Scott Wilkinson: "Temporal dithering, often called frame-rate control (FRC)... works so well, it's even used in some professional monitors that are widely used in color grading... Unfortunately, some manufacturers, such as Samsung and Sony, do not officially reveal the bit depth of the panels in their HDR displays, saying that an 8-bit panel with good processing can perform better than a 10-bit panel with poor processing." [LINK]

Many review sites, such as rtings.com have also stated the same thing:

"With good dithering, the result can look very much like higher bit-depth... We do not differentiate between native 10-bit color and 8-bit color + dithering, because we score the end result of how smooth the gradient is... we consider 8-bit with dithering to be equivalent to 10-bit, as long as the 10-bit gradient looks smooth." [LINK]

Richard
This is true however, this set lacks wide color gamut which it needs to truly experience true hdr. I watched hdr videos on YouTube and it looks incredible on this set. I'd like to see it side by side with the Ks8000 with the same settings

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.
post #856 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yesterday I set up the 60" KU6300 in my living room. I am very impressed with the TV for the price. There is one issue I see and maybe some one can help. Occasionally when I watch live local news or when we watch house flip shows on HGTV or other "live feel" reality shows the picture will stutter for a few frames. This happens on quick pans and zooms and during weather reports where the anchor is in front of the green/blue screen. Hand movement and head movement just seems to stutter for a few frames. Seems to be on shows, news programs where the video is being shot at 60fps. I have the auto motion plus/soap opera effect turned off and I am on 1142 firmware (not updates available it says.) My Vizio P65 does not have this issue. Is this issue just indicative or the lower refresh rate of the TV or is there a setting I can tweak to eliminate the frame stuttering on 60fps Xfinity content. Thanks!
post #857 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeas View Post
Yesterday I set up the 60" KU6300 in my living room. I am very impressed with the TV for the price. There is one issue I see and maybe some one can help. Occasionally when I watch live local news or when we watch house flip shows on HGTV or other "live feel" reality shows the picture will stutter for a few frames. This happens on quick pans and zooms and during weather reports where the anchor is in front of the green/blue screen. Hand movement and head movement just seems to stutter for a few frames. Seems to be on shows, news programs where the video is being shot at 60fps. I have the auto motion plus/soap opera effect turned off and I am on 1142 firmware (not updates available it says.) My Vizio P65 does not have this issue. Is this issue just indicative or the lower refresh rate of the TV or is there a setting I can tweak to eliminate the frame stuttering on 60fps Xfinity content. Thanks!

I am using movie mode with motion plus and digital clean all off. Basically I disabled all post processing in the settings. I remember noticing the stutter the first time I plugged in the TV but lately I do not see any. Maybe my brain just adjusted or it could be my TV was under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #858 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Is anyone else having an issue with the onscreen querty keyboard not functioning within certain apps? This is frustrating. For instance I cannot login to my NFL Sunday ticket app because the cursor will not move within the selections. I cannot even register the tv because the keyboard does not function within the setup process. On the other hand, it functions properly within Netflix and Amazon Prime. Is this a software bug? I did as was suggested by unplugging, waiting and plugging back in. No change.
post #859 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaleight View Post
Should I be getting 5.1 DTS sound when playing video files from USB?
I don't see the dts light when I play a video file from USB, only in-built apps or cable tv.

anyone?
post #860 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Horizontal lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoj View Post
Ya, that's understandable but it's not the dirty screen effect that bothers me so much. I replaced a LG LCD with a crappy panel that I got use to, it's specifically the 3 or 4 horizontal backlight lines that are visible during up/down camera movement that's distracting me. I was wondering if there may be a break in period with new TV's that I should wait for before deciding what to do.
For what it's worth, I've had two 55KU6290's, one from Best Buy and one from Costco and both had the horizontal backlight lines you are referring to. The one from Best Buy also had a vertical line on the left side that was visible most of the time so I kept the Costco one. I think at this price point it's a matter of what you can live with. I don't notice it most of the time. Does anyone else notice these lines on their sets?
post #861 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Can a program be UHD but NOT 4K?
For example 1080p UHD.
post #862 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can a program be UHD but NOT 4K?
For example 1080p UHD.
No. UHD by definition is 3840x2160 (1.78:1 aspect), 4K is 4096x2160 (1.9:1 aspect), and 1080p is 1920x1080 (1.78:1 aspect).

Someone is playing fast and loose with their definitions if they nonsensically called anything 1080p UHD.
post #863 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have come the to conclusion that my 40KU6300 version FM02 (suppose to be a Samsung Panel?) is completely useless as a TV or anything other than displaying static images at 0 degree viewing angle.

1. Viewing angle must have be 0 degrees. Everything looks washed out just slightly off the horizontal. Why on earth the KU6300 was given the same score as the Sony 43X800D is beyond my comprehension. The Sony is very watchable even at 45 degrees.
2. Motion. Most of the time, everything looked like was filmed with a stroke light. TV, Amazon, netflix, youtube, everything. Especially bad watching sports like football. Players and balls seem to be skipping frames all the time. I watched Thursday Night Football side by side with my 10 year old Sony CCFL LCD and I want to stick a fork in my eyes every time I look at the Samsung while the Sony was pleasant to look at. I don't think this was due to judder because OTA TV is 60 Hz. The processor must be skipping frames or something. Turning on Auto Motion Plus helps just a little, a little bit (not helping really), but unfortunately, Auto Motion Plus introduces lots of artifacts like really visible black spots almost same size as the football leading or trailing a football in motion.
3. Picture Mode. Movies made everything dark and washed out. Natural or Standard are so bright they will sear your retina. Turning down the brightness will make colors dull. The super bright picture together with the bad motion processing will fry your brain.

I now have a Sony 800D that I'm supper happy with. Why the Sony and the KU6300 got the same score and recommendation from rtings.com is beyond my comprehension.
post #864 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Does anyone know why when i enable pc mode are the black levels higher? Its weird i am running a brightness pattern, outside pc mode the blacks are deeper but not crushing blacks at all, when i switch to pc mode no difference in the test pattern but the blacks are grey in appearance, i thought maybe the gamma but that had little effect?

Anyone with technical know how have any idea whats going on with pc mode i am missing?
post #865 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelaine View Post
Hmmm, if HDR only works on HDMI1, then why does the TV give me the message "HDMI3 - An HDR video is playing" when I'm playing HDR content on HDMI3? (see attached image)
Curious what is the source player on that? I couldnt get that to work for me on my xbox one s in hdmi 3.
post #866 of 2409 Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras82 View Post
I am using movie mode with motion plus and digital clean all off. Basically I disabled all post processing in the settings. I remember noticing the stutter the first time I plugged in the TV but lately I do not see any. Maybe my brain just adjusted or it could be my TV was under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i personally noticed the auto motion plus feature instead of it's intended purpose of reducing judder seems to make the judder more apparent... turning it off makes a world of difference
post #867 of 2409 Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
No. UHD by definition is 3840x2160 (1.78:1 aspect), 4K is 4096x2160 (1.9:1 aspect), and 1080p is 1920x1080 (1.78:1 aspect).

Someone is playing fast and loose with their definitions if they nonsensically called anything 1080p UHD.
Thanks.
post #868 of 2409 Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Subtitle- "off" as default

I have the 40" ku6300 with smart remote. I would like to know if there is any way to set the subtitles to "off" as default on initial startup of shows, instead of manually going over to settings each time.

I have searched everywhere on the set to no avail and am curious if it can be done in the service menu before I put in the effort of going down that road with with an older model remote that works on this set.

I read that to access service menu is as follows- Info-Menu-Mute-Power. Is that accurate?

thanks

Last edited by toddincabo; 12-12-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Found old remote
post #869 of 2409 Old 12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddincabo View Post
I have the 40" ku6300 with smart remote. I would like to know if there is any way to set the subtitles to "off" as default on initial startup of shows, instead of manually going over to settings each time.

I have searched everywhere on the set to no avail and am curious if it can be done in the service menu before I put in the effort of going down that road with with an older model remote that works on this set.

I read that to access service menu is as follows- Info-Menu-Mute-Power. Is that accurate?

thanks
I have the Costco version 40" KU6290, and it doesn't start shows with CC enabled as the default. Is it possible you accidentally set that as part of the initial setup?

I have found in the past that Netflix obnoxiously uses that as the default, but it's been a while since I used it.
post #870 of 2409 Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddincabo View Post

thanks
Menu > System > Accessibilty > Caption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page