**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1351 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMogz View Post
When I opened the service menu and checked out the model I have, according to what other members have said, I have the CMO panel. My box says version DE07 as well...

So I wonder if we're stuck with terrible T.V.'s or if all users experience this banding on the Gradient Test. Without more input from other users with different panels, there's no way to know for sure I guess. I'd have to argue that my cheap 1080p monitors and TV's have much better results than this 4k TV.

Would love to hear input from anyone else about banding in this gradient test pic- http://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png
Two CMO panel owners have pretty terrible banding with theirs. To test it I saved the pic to a USB Drive and plugged it into the TV.
40KU6000

Not bothered by it, since I don't see it in blu-rays and properly compress videos.

EDIT: I don't see any banding in this image.

EDIT: I can also see the banding issues on my phone.

Last edited by Metsuki; 01-05-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsuki View Post
40KU6000

Not bothered by it, since I don't see it in blu-rays and properly compress videos.

EDIT: I don't see any banding in this image.

EDIT: I can also see the banding issues on my phone.

Oh wow, yours do look great... Do you know which panel manufacturer you have? I have a CMO panel and so I'm not sure if they're just subpar in performance or what but yeah yours definitely looks nicer than mine by far.

Did you view the pics on your TV via a USB drive or the web browser?

Last edited by DrewMogz; 01-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
post #1353 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh wow, yours do look great... Do you know which panel manufacturer you have? I have a CMO panel and so I'm not sure if they're just subpar in performance or what but yeah yours definitely looks nicer than mine by far.

Did you view the pics on your TV via a USB drive or the web browser?
I should say that the camera soften them up a bit.

I saw them using a flash drive on the TV.

I've never been able to enter service mode.

My sticker says "Version No: 01"

Last edited by Metsuki; 01-05-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Canadian KU6290 and would like to change the country code to USA. Looks like this was done at the EULA setup screen in the past. Anybody had any luck dong this?
post #1355 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baillieul View Post
I have a Canadian KU6290 and would like to change the country code to USA. Looks like this was done at the EULA setup screen in the past. Anybody had any luck dong this?
When accessing Smart Hub Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy page up on the TV and press: >> 2 8 9 <<

i changed mine to US region successfully.
post #1356 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
When I opened the service menu and checked out the model I have, according to what other members have said, I have the CMO panel. My box says version DE07 as well...

So I wonder if we're stuck with terrible T.V.'s or if all users experience this banding on the Gradient Test. Without more input from other users with different panels, there's no way to know for sure I guess. I'd have to argue that my cheap 1080p monitors and TV's have much better results than this 4k TV.

Would love to hear input from anyone else about banding in this gradient test pic- http://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png
Two CMO panel owners have pretty terrible banding with theirs. To test it I saved the pic to a USB Drive and plugged it into the TV.
KU406000.....OK so I tested the banding photo as monitor by setting photo as desktop background and all lines were smooth as silk.

I copied the same photo to my HDD I use for the TV and get banding in very tiny increments across the bars, I'm talking like about 500 across the screen on every color bar.

I have verified that as monitor I am getting 4.4.4 with the "magenta test" and "The Quick Brown Fox test". So I also transferred these images while at it and the Magenta didn't look the same as monitor but "The Fox" looked the same with every line clear and perfectly readable.

I tried before to get into the service menu without success using an older remote with the correct buttons, so I don't know exactly which screen vendor I have.

What remote control process are you using to enter service menu. Maybe it will work for me. thanks
post #1357 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandev88 View Post
When accessing Smart Hub Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy page up on the TV and press: >> 2 8 9 <<

Looks encouraging except that I just have that small Samsung remote that doesn't have many keys. Any idea how you can enter the >> ? There is a virtual numeric keyboard so I can enter the numbers I think...
post #1358 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Do you know if there is a way to buy this calibration and download it to USB instead of using a Blu Ray player? Also, I've read an older post on these forums about a free calibration tool called AVS HD 709, would that be the way to go if I could get it on a USB and hopefully play it using the TV's built in player?
I dont know. Maybe with a laptop? Its copyrighted.
Possibly. A lot of people have used it in the past and it seems to be a good tool. I would find the 709 thread and ask there or just try it.
post #1359 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

What advantages are there to changing it to the US?
post #1360 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I would have to guess that's some banding or backlighting issues. I've been trying to get some owners of these T.V.'s to verify their Gradient Test images to see if mine is defective as well or if it's just that I have a CMO panel and they're subpar or something but have only gotten one response so far and that was from another CMO panel owner that has banding as well. Easy way to test for color banding is to download this image http://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png and put it on a USB Drive and plug it in to see if your gradients are super banded or if it's just backlight issues.

Good luck, I haven't gotten too many replies from other owners to know if this is a common issue or defective product. The attached picture is what my gradient test results look like, which is horrible.
What would I be looking for on that test? What is your picture showing? I have no idea what gradient means.
post #1361 of 2409 Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
What would I be looking for on that test? What is your picture showing? I have no idea what gradient means.
un50ku6300

DA01

CMO panel

http://i.imgur.com/SkTpiCN.jpg
post #1362 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baillieul View Post
Looks encouraging except that I just have that small Samsung remote that doesn't have many keys. Any idea how you can enter the >> ? There is a virtual numeric keyboard so I can enter the numbers I think...
i use my other Samsung remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
What advantages are there to changing it to the US?
US region has some apps that i have subscription like NBC sports and HBO Go.

Quote:
I would have to guess that's some banding or backlighting issues. I've been trying to get some owners of these T.V.'s to verify their Gradient Test images to see if mine is defective as well or if it's just that I have a CMO panel and they're subpar or something but have only gotten one response so far and that was from another CMO panel owner that has banding as well. Easy way to test for color banding is to download this image http://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png and put it on a USB Drive and plug it in to see if your gradients are super banded or if it's just backlight issues.

Good luck, I haven't gotten too many replies from other owners to know if this is a common issue or defective product. The attached picture is what my gradient test results look like, which is horrible.
UA55KU6000
CA01
service menu: 55S6AU0VK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170106_035141.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1876809  

Last edited by wandev88; 01-06-2017 at 01:03 AM.
post #1363 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
i use my other Samsung remote.

US region has some apps that i have subscription like NBC sports and HBO Go.

UA55KU6000
CA01
service menu: 55S6AU0VK
The banding on mine seems to be a lot worse then yours if i use the built in picture viewer on the tv using a usb thumb drive but this may be the result that taking a picture of it makes it look less bad than in real life, I have this panel 50D6AU2VK and on the box and back of tv it says DB02.

Since toddincabo pointed out he set his as a desktop background and it was smooth perhaps it is a software issue? although i wonder if it would be the same in a photo viewer no enhancements and all filters disabled and set fullscreen in his computer? Should give the same result. The other thing is can we even rely on the photo viewer built in the tv to give us an accurate representation of the image? We don't know what kind of processing the image viewer does and we can't change any processing options related to it like you can on a pc.

We my have to scratch all that information. I went to rtings click Learn about gradient then i read this little tidbit
Quote:
To evaluate gradient reproduction, we take a photo of our gradient pattern in a pitch black room, with the following camera settings: F4.0, ISO-200, 1/15 sec shutter time. The image file we use is a ‘.tiff,’ as most typical image files (JPG, PNG, etc.) either don’t support 10-bit color or don’t support it well.
The test file seems to be a .tif file. Are we using the wrong file? I tried renaming the .tif no dice the tv refuses to display it using the photo viewer. *edit* If you are clicking the photo instead of the link on the gradient page then what you are getting is not the gradient test image. Click the link under the image! *edit* My guess is it's best to test using a PC with a photo editor with all processing and filtering disabled. If it is smooth there then you are passing the test.

Last edited by thebudman420; 01-06-2017 at 04:37 AM.
post #1364 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebudman420 View Post
The banding on mine seems to be a lot worse then yours if i use the built in picture viewer on the tv using a usb thumb drive but this may be the result that taking a picture of it makes it look less bad than in real life, I have this panel 50D6AU2VK and on the box and back of tv it says DB02.

Since toddincabo pointed out he set his as a desktop background and it was smooth perhaps it is a software issue? although i wonder if it would be the same in a photo viewer no enhancements and all filters disabled and set fullscreen in his computer? Should give the same result. The other thing is can we even rely on the photo viewer built in the tv to give us an accurate representation of the image? We don't know what kind of processing the image viewer does and we can't change any processing options related to it like you can on a pc.

We my have to scratch all that information. I went to rtings click Learn about gradient then i read this little tidbit The test file seems to be a .tif file. Are we using the wrong file? I tried renaming the .tif no dice the tv refuses to display it using the photo viewer. *edit* If you are clicking the photo instead of the link on the gradient page then what you are getting is not the gradient test image. Click the link under the image! *edit* My guess is it's best to test using a PC with a photo editor with all processing and filtering disabled. If it is smooth there then you are passing the test.
actually mine also looks worse in person. and i also tried viewing the test image(.tif) on my PC and has the same result as using the USB method.
post #1365 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDinan View Post
I'm normally pretty sensitive to judder. My older Samsung LCD set had a 24Hz setting that I used for all DVD/Bluray playback and it was great.
My KU6270 only has a 60Hz/120Hz refresh - and at first, I was extremely worried, as I didn't realize it at the time of purchase. I will say that with the smooth motion set to 2, I don't really notice judder, nor does it introduce the SOE. That being said, I still don't understand how excluding a 24Hz mode saves cost nowadays... It's likely a mode they only put in their higher end sets, just so they can differentiate them... silly.
I normally keep these settings off but I have to ask. You said smooth motion set to to 2. My KU6300 doesn't have a smooth motion setting but it has a judder option. Did you mean to say judder option set to 2.

Thanks.
post #1366 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone I'm not a TV techie, I joined because I am just about to purchase a 43" KU6300 in UK, and I would like to be 100% certain about some stuff. If anyone can offer me any answers I will really appreciate it.

I have read most of reviews about the quality of the actual TV content, I can see everything is a-OK there, but in very very large part, my use of TV will be:
1. playback from the PC to the TV through HDMI (graphics card can easily handle 4k, though I still don't even have any content yet )
2. playback of movies from the external USB storage plugged directly into the TV via USB cable

It's this second bit that I want to make sure about. Basically, I'm wondering did anyone experience any problems whatsoever with USB playback of any format or codec? I saw on the specs that the TV can handle all of the codecs, but I have a large connection of old stuff, some dating back to divx 3.xx days. Also, I'm slightly concerned as my current TV does not play MP4 format, and would not play DTS. So, could anyone pls confirm are there any problems at all with the TV playing any xvid, avi, mp4, mpg, mkv files? Some matroska files were giving me problem on my TV right now if they have a DTS sound or something called "header compression" in mkv (not even sure what that means, but I had to demux those matroska files).

This is absolutely 100% most important for me - I don't think I would do a lot of gaming or any smart apps on it.

Thanks in advance.
post #1367 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 286
For the owners of the Samsung UN55KU6300, are you happy with it? Would you buy it again? I'm tempted to purchase this as a family room 4K at 699.00. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bud
post #1368 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post
For the owners of the Samsung UN55KU6300, are you happy with it? Would you buy it again? I'm tempted to purchase this as a family room 4K at 699.00. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bud
i have a 50 in my bedroom, imo it's a good basic 4k... but then again i paid less than most during a bf sale at costco...for the price i paid i am ecstatic. .. at 200 bucks more maybe not so much...if the money(price) was acceptable to me then I would say yes ... so far it's a solid basic tv..
post #1369 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know what panel EA01 would be? Thank
post #1370 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
actually mine also looks worse in person. and i also tried viewing the test image(.tif) on my PC and has the same result as using the USB method.
We must of ended up with the crappy panel. I now hate the samsung panel lottery. It is like you are not even getting what you pay for there is a chance you get what you pay for but it is like playing poker mostly luck, Then if they are using say a sharp panel well sharp is no longer even sharp. They sold out there name to hisense, So if you get a sharp panel i bet you are really getting a hisense panel. We most likely ended up with the worst panels out of the bunch. CMO panels although i have no idea what cmo panels are they seem to have bad banding issues. Rtings should re review the tv. I wonder if it was because it was black Friday so they made them cheaper for that day as i got mine black friday / thrusday. I could of swore the first time i used the test that the banding wasn't that bad. Could it of got worse over time or with the update?

*edit* read at own risk lol. absolutely no banding on this old crt monitor i run and it still looks beautiful it is like from 2002 or something like that and only 1024x768 resolution 17inch, That is to be expected as it is not a tv. It has just taken tv's this long to catch up. I actually think the picture quality got worse after the dtv transition as we lost a lot of detail for a cleaner more heavily compressed image where people no longer look real but more plastic or fake / smoothed and they no longer look as they do in real life. You can tell by taking a look at your skin and the tv at the same time. The only fix i seen for that is sharpness / faking the detail that used to be in the image. The digital compression makes people look fake on any lcd led oled tv i have seen. Everything from wiskers to pimples, hair strands, wrinkles, skin blemishes, dirt grass are all smoothed filtered out or compressed out of the picture. I realised that years ago when i was watching the same broadcast one analog one hdtv side by side and the analog had more real detail while the hdtv was all perfect and smooth with a lot of loss of detail. We used to get our channels in even without snow so it looked perfect to begin with and then dtv came along and reception is iffy at best cuts in and out or blocks up.

Last edited by thebudman420; 01-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
post #1371 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
Can anyone comment on this series from their own personal experience regarding motion blur during sports or games?
I'm not picky, but it doesn't bother me. Of course, I'm on DirecTV with their compression, too ...
post #1372 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddincabo View Post

I copied the same photo to my HDD I use for the TV and get banding in very tiny increments across the bars, I'm talking like about 500 across the screen on every color bar.
For what it's worth, that is what mine came out like, copying the gradient.png to a usb drive I didn't see any lines at all until sticking my nose on the screen. Then like every other bar you could see the fine lines. But even at like 3 feet back, they are not noticable.

The thing, I don't know what panel it has, it's a 70" from Costco (630D) and the service menu spit this out for the type: 70H6AU0VK. I didn't see an H in anyones panel lists.

Overall been quite happy with it.
post #1373 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ripco View Post
For what it's worth, that is what mine came out like, copying the gradient.png to a usb drive I didn't see any lines at all until sticking my nose on the screen. Then like every other bar you could see the fine lines. But even at like 3 feet back, they are not noticable.

The thing, I don't know what panel it has, it's a 70" from Costco (630D) and the service menu spit this out for the type: 70H6AU0VK. I didn't see an H in anyones panel lists.

Overall been quite happy with it.
A = Samsung Display
D = CMO (Chimei Innolux / Chilin /)
L = AUO (AU Optronics)
R = AUO (AU Optronics)
I = CPT (Chunghwa Picture Tube)
P = CMI (Chimei Innolux)
H = Sharp Display
S = Sharp / (Samsung China)
B = Beijing Optoelectronics
post #1374 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
Bud
Like others I got this on sale at Costco not the BF sale unfortunately i went with another TV first and returned this however i did get this at 499 which is better than the current 699 price. But yes I love this tv, I'd wait and see if it goes on sale for Superbowl specials
post #1375 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Does anyone know what kind of blutooth headphones i can use with this tv. I don't know if my blutooth is faulty or if it is just my headset be incompatible. I have a pair of h600 Logitech headphones but getting them to sinc or even connect takes forever. After i manage to get them to sinc if it connects the first try and if i turn my headphones off and back on later then either i have to try to resinc and it can take up to 10 minutes or more of trying or pull the power on the tv while it is still on. Then i can see my headphones in preferences again. I then click connect and it will fail after some time after it says connecting and as soon as it does that i have to turn my headphone off and back on to get them to reconnect. It most the time connects the second try after i do all that. Samsung was of no help and wouldn't even recommend a headset to me that will work with the tv as they sell ear buds and i hate earbuds. The headset works flawless with my phone and computers ps3 and ps4 as i use it on my phone all the time and works with other peoples devices. First time i had problems with blutooth like this. Even linux didn't give me that much trouble and worked out of the box. Either i have faulty blutooth in my tv and they wouldn't admit it or they have serious software bugs that should and can be fixed in an update.

I need the tv to work with my headset so at night i am not annoying my grandpa whos room is across my hall as we have thin uninsulated inside walls. Blutooth was one of the main reasons i was happy to get this tv along with playing most file types although i haven’t tested it very much yet with files. But it played all my h265 anime files i had on a 32gb usb. The hisense i was using couldn’t play anything and played quite a bit less than my ps4 and the ps4 don't like a lot of files unless i use plex. Standard file sharing is so much better than DLNA though.

But wow the ps4 is easier to use as a web browser for the tv as i can zoom slide page in any direction smoothly while zoomed to read with the DS4. The ps4 web browser doesn’t lag half as bad as on the tv either and that is with the system reserving most resources for games. * I have seen no tv with a decent web browser yet* Wish they would just say heck with there own version and give us mozilla as samsung don't know how to make a web browser. No middle clicking to open new tab. Lags even with a few tabs and videos will not buffer on anything other than youtube using the html5 player and if it does buffer you can't pause and fill up the buffer like on youtube it doesn't seem like. For adult browsing the tv is a no go no buffering beast and most html5 sites don't work correctly. PS4 trumps it in that regard. They say full web browser in description but it is not even half a web browser as it is not functional and most pages are unsupported. Lags like a beast. The no addons and no ability to get an adblocker sucks and most likely going to get scammed or infected with malware as ads carry malware these days and most are scams. If i do serious browsing then i am on the pc bc i can load 100+ tabs having 8gb of memory but is not as easy as the ps4 is to browse on the tv from a distance. I can't see very well so use max zoom at a distance 4 / 5 feet away from the tv. Samsung could do us a favor and partner with mozilla, They are not a competitor as it is open source and it would make the tv a lot better if you wanted to browse using the tv. On this site you get like 20 unsupported messages pop up on you, try scrolling the page when that happens.
post #1376 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for doing all the testing on your TV's, at least I know now that I'm not the only one or one of the few at the very least. I too had also read that Rting's used a .tif file for the Gradient Test but I just assumed that my TV's result with the .png should at least look the same as my monitor's or similar. However, that's not the case at all as most of you have found out.

@AmishFury has the best results bar none with his picture and he said he has a CMO panel which makes me happy that they're not just bad panels, since I have one, at least that's how it appeared to me. @wandev88 at some banding in his similar to my results but I'm not sure if they're quite as pronounced but definitely visible up close obviously. @dr.ripco is right in that it's not always as noticeable from afar as up close but I can definitely see the banding at distance in my test as well.

I'm not sure if the built in picture viewer has software issues causing this since @toddincabo said when viewing it as his PC's desktop it was smooth as silk. I had much better results of the picture when I viewed it on Samsung's Web Browser at Rtings.com's website but it wasn't filling the TV full screen so I couldn't quite say that it was very accurate that way. The main complaint I've had with the banding and the reason I've been testing the Gradient is because every 4k video I've watched on YouTube, the skies and/or backgrounds can have serious banding in it and I've been told that it's not necessarily the TV but the compression of the video even when it's locked in at 4k resolution, so I have no real way to tell if it's just subpar performance or software or what since Rtings.com's review picture of their Gradient Test performed much more admirably when you view their picture of the results.

Last edited by DrewMogz; 01-06-2017 at 07:51 PM.
post #1377 of 2409 Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i should mention the banding is a little more noticable in person than in my photo... probably on par with the photo of wandev88's sharp panel
post #1378 of 2409 Old 01-07-2017, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras82 View Post
Got update 1600 right now. Not sure what chnaged.
Notice anything different yet?
post #1379 of 2409 Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Notice anything different yet?

Nothing yet. Overall I have not had any issues with this TV. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dargent0628 likes this.
post #1380 of 2409 Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks,
Bud
Yes I own a 55 which I basically stole from BB for $599 about 6 months ago & we recently bought a 40 for my son's room. For the price you can beat it since I dare you to find me a thread on this forum where someone isn't complaining about any issues. They all have them.
Eric Mackenbach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page