**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1441 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vertical Gray Cloud Effect

Does anyone have this problem with their 70KU6300 TV? I have vertical cloud looking pillars on my screen from an angle. I can also pick them up very lightly from a direct center viewing angle.

I had the motherboard replaced yesterday because the TV would turn it's self off randomly and Samsung said the new motherboard should fix that but the technician that came out said he couldn't do anything since he couldn't see the cloud like pillars from dead center on the screen.

I attached two pics of the problem. If nobody else is having they problem I am going to take the TV back and get a replacement one.

Jason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af39.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1890545   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af38.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1890553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I picked up the 55 inch KU6300 a few months back and am finally planning on wall mounting it......does anyone have a recommendation for a wall mount?
post #1443 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
New owner here of a 65KU6290. I actually downgraded to this from a 60KS8000 and then a 65KS8500! Why? I too am OCD and the light bleed from the bottom of both sets was unacceptable to me. Also, the build quality of the back plastic panel was a concern to me down the road. Lastly, while HDR is pretty cool and is the future of television, I feel like they still need to hash out their specs and standards. So in essence the KS series will be considered "HDR Lite" in a year or two.

So I decided to save a few hundred bucks and I must say, so far I feel like I'm not missing out on anything not having the higher-end sets. 4K is crisp, 1080 TV up-scales great and biggest thing of all for me is that I see no LIGHT BLEED! I've only had the 6290 for 24-hours but that's my initial impression.

I do miss the look of the KS series though. When turned off that TV was like an art sculpture, this KU6290 looks like an appliance. BUT the build quality of the KU6290/6300 is rock solid. Where there is double-sided tape keeping the KS8000 together temporarily are screws all around for the KU6290.

I can confirm this came with a Smart Remote, but since these models don't have bluetooth it uses old infrared tech. Plus the remote is much cheaper feeling than the KS model remote.

I'll share my other observations once I start watching more on this TV. Hopefully this set can last me 3-4 years and then I'll look to do a big upgrade. By then there should be 4K content everywhere and the HDR standard finalized.
I agree. Here in Canada at the moment the KS8000 65” is 2.5 times more expensive than the 65” 6300 and basically reports the same number of “problems”. Decided to save the money like you and get a “real” HDR set once things settle in.

Speaking of HDR on this set I’m still confused. Samsung totes the HDR on this set like it actually makes a difference to the picture when you send it a HDR signal, but yet the specs of the TV would suggest you would not get any benefit. Eg. 2% window not near bright enough and no wide color. I guess it’s just marketing on Samsung’s part designed to mislead the consumer into thinking they are getting into HDR when they really are not. Seeing how much HDR confusion there is with the general buying pubic it makes good sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontech View Post
Does anyone have this problem with their 70KU6300 TV? I have vertical cloud looking pillars on my screen from an angle. I can also pick them up very lightly from a direct center viewing angle.

I had the motherboard replaced yesterday because the TV would turn it's self off randomly and Samsung said the new motherboard should fix that but the technician that came out said he couldn't do anything since he couldn't see the cloud like pillars from dead center on the screen.

I attached two pics of the problem. If nobody else is having they problem I am going to take the TV back and get a replacement one.

Jason.

Replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1445 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Jason.
The tech wouldn’t fix it because Samsung wouldn’t consider this a defect. I’ve seen it with so many sets while viewing off axis. My top tier (in 2013) Sony w900a has this except the bands are crescent shaped. The colors and contrast are bad off axis anyway, so nobody is going to want to watch at an angle.
post #1446 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:

Jason.
If you can take it back and get a replacement why did you get the motherboard replaced first?
post #1447 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
If you can take it back and get a replacement why did you get the motherboard replaced first?
I wanted to see what samsung would say. If they said this is a common problem with this model then I would then take it back and get a model higher.

I am returning it tomorrow and going to get a replacement and see how that goes. If it has the same problem then I will go the the next level up.
post #1448 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebudman420 View Post
Am i the only one who noticed the web browser doesn't run native? It runs at 1080p. I checked it on websites. I also verified by clicking on a cpl photos one 2160p and one 1080p. The 1080p photo fit the screen perfect fullscreen and the 2160p photo was way to big. So no 4k through the browser!?

With that out of the way. Why does the tv override the websites native html5 player. While youtube can still buffer on the tv and you see a bar as it buffers. It seems on no other sites does it use the default website player so you get no ability to buffer but a few seconds while it is connecting and on some it gets the time incorrect by a very large margin so it will not let you seek or time jump into the video like you can say in a pc or on a playstation. Specially on some of the biggest most well known adult sites. Some sites wont even work that have html5 players and i know they have html5 as i don't even use flash in my pc any more. Why is samsung not following web standards or html5 standards and why is it overiding the websites native player?

*edit* i want to jailbreak this tv very very badly. You have no idea how bad i wish there was a jailbreak for these tv's. So much crap i could fix. So many things you could make better. Install user made apps. Install a real browser install an adblocker. ads are just scams and viruses anymore. just wow tv's need jail broken seriously.
Regarding HTML5 video in the web browser, I was able to watch The History channels Viking stream on through their website with no problems. I wish History channel had an app through Tizen OS though.
post #1449 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I wanted to see what samsung would say. If they said this is a common problem with this model then I would then take it back and get a model higher.

I am returning it tomorrow and going to get a replacement and see how that goes. If it has the same problem then I will go the the next level up.
Going a level up doesn't make it any more likely you'll get a problem free set. Good luck though.
post #1450 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Jason.
Well I have the 70" from Costco (KU630D) and I don't see those bars at all.

I checked with an OTA signal and the web browser that sort of defaults to a fairly bright screen, no hint of them.

If it's like you say, can see them a bit head-on, yeah, I'd take it back too.
post #1451 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, not very well versed in the tech world but having an issue with my new KS8000 so I figured I'd come here. I did a few searches and nothing seemed to come up.

Here is my issue, (it may sound a little crazy) but does the TV tend to block wifi signal? I have both firestick and chromcast connected then to the hub. When I take the hub and move it a few inches past the TV everything works fine. The moment I put it back behind the TV (out of view - I have it velcroed to the TV) neither the chromcast or firestick can receive a wifi signal. I know the signal is strong because it is full bars when it is an inch past the TV.

Any one else have this issue, any suggestions on how to fix (while keeping everything out of site?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Glen
post #1452 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Not sure what youre talking about. Can you use specific names instead of generalities?
One is called the ultimate all in one and the other is ultimate home remote control. They use rf instead of ir to communicate to the hub so you don't have to point the the devices or if you have the devices set up in a closet. The hub uses rf and ir
post #1453 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
I agree. Here in Canada at the moment the KS8000 65” is 2.5 times more expensive than the 65” 6300 and basically reports the same number of “problems”. Decided to save the money like you and get a “real” HDR set once things settle in.

Speaking of HDR on this set I’m still confused. Samsung totes the HDR on this set like it actually makes a difference to the picture when you send it a HDR signal, but yet the specs of the TV would suggest you would not get any benefit. Eg. 2% window not near bright enough and no wide color. I guess it’s just marketing on Samsung’s part designed to mislead the consumer into thinking they are getting into HDR when they really are not. Seeing how much HDR confusion there is with the general buying pubic it makes good sense.
Your set can display 10bit gradient of colours smoothly. It's just that it doesn't offer the full gamut of 10bit which means it cannot display the more 'saturated' colours. The other thing too, is the set doesn't hit the 1000nit brightness that the premium HDR sets do. If you put your TV up against a KS9000 Samsung, the higher end one would have a little more pop to it in terms of colours and peak brightness. Will it make a bad movie 10 times better? No

Some content actually looks worse in HDR believe it or not. Its nice to have the option but HDR is still in its infancy. You'll be fine with your set and hopefully in the next 5-7 years we can get 12bit HDR which is what Dolby wants us to have for the ultimate HDR experience. The other issue too, is broadcasting is still 720p is most cases let alone having HDR, so it will be while until cable TV catches up.

I think 4K is more important for sports in my opinion than HDR, but HDR is better for movies. Either way, you picked a really awesome TV that will last you until everything catches up and comes down in price.

Now go make a big thing of popcorn and enjoy that beautiful set!
winladen and King Richard like this.

Last edited by jra2k1; 01-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
post #1454 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Wow mine updated to 1162 now.

cwbasil likes this.
post #1455 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
I picked up the 55 inch KU6300 a few months back and am finally planning on wall mounting it......does anyone have a recommendation for a wall mount?
This one from Amazon has been great for me - "Cheetah Mounts APTMM2B TV Wall Mount for 20-75-Inch TVs"

ASIN - B0012S4APK
post #1456 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Issue: When trying to access my HBO NOW app - I get the "You must sign in to your Samsung account to use this feature" pop-up.

When I go to sign in - it then says "Unable to connect to the Samsung server. Please update your TV's software to solve this problem. (189)."

When I go to Software Update - it comes back with "There are no updates for you at the moment".

I'm on 1155, and seem to be caught in a loop. All of my other apps open fine without this issue...YouTube, Amazon, etc.

Thoughts?
post #1457 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras82 View Post
Where are you located and what model do you own?
post #1458 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Where are you located and what model do you own?

I am in MA, US. Model is 630D (Costco)

post #1459 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Everyone except ras still have firmware 1155?
post #1460 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is it possible to activate the pvr on this tv? Maybe if i change the region in service menu? I was worried about doing that and not being able to set it back to default or something and on some older model samsungs they lost most stuff in service menu and had to find a way to get it back or something. I seen people do it on other models online. I know it is just disabled for US and Canadian owners. Kinda weird as over the air is free here and anyone can record to any other device like a dvr / vcr / tuner in a pc / media center. My grandpa still records with a dtv converter box hooked to his old VCR Re taping over the same old tapes. I know the tv has DRM however. If everyone can watch it free with an antenna then why the hell the drm. It is free to begin with. A VCR doesn't care about drm and neither does my older DVR that wont record hd but will record it as SD, You can watch it in HD but not record it in HD. It needs a new hard drive though.

Anyway i'm on a mission to activate the PVR Recording functions on this tv. Anyone know how??? I can upload some service menu pics as i was documenting my service menu settings. Some things i been wanting to know what they do. Figure if i break the tv I’m going to do it now while i can still return it. Still paranoid about breaking it though.

I fixed half my problem with my pc using dvi to hdmi on that tv. I enabled EDID information in service menu. That fixed my picture on boot so i don't have to manually do it. Still haven’t fixed the stuttering sound that only happens on the tv. Every 10 or so seconds sound skips no matter the source im playing on computer. It is weird to me my pc monitor is able to play the sound perfect but the tv cannot.

We need a Smart TV Jailbreak. Please Please someone out there Jailbreak our tv's!
post #1461 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I also noticed if you are not running 4k then you get 4:4:4 chroma on HDMI 3 at 1080p, YAY for that one. That is also the port that i set the EDID information on, You can only seem to add it to port 2 and 3. Now some draw backs only being able to choose between 1080p 720p and one 4:3 resolution so i may undo that part. And tell linux manually what the tv is capable of and set my default on the boot loader onward as i lose a lot of possible resolutions doing it that way. I have to learn how to do that though. Live cds also have the issue so that wont fix it there though. Before tv would go out of range and monitor text be all garbled and screwy at the boot loader / grub onward until i logged in and fixed it by changing the tv resolution to one my graphics card can support.

We need a Smart TV Jailbreak. Please Please someone out there Jailbreak our tv's!
post #1462 of 2409 Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras82 View Post

Did they fix HDR in game mode yet? (auto adjust backlight etc)
post #1463 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So I discovered 8 dead pixels towards the bottom-center (to the left of the Samsung logo). I wouldn't say they are clumped together but they are scattered in what I'd say is a 6-inch radius. Obviously my OCD is kicking in knowing they are there, but since the pixels are so small in a 4K TV (8 million pixels), they are unnoticeable from my seating area (about 14-15 feet away).

I know most reviews say the 6290's only difference is the bluetooth but could cheaper panels be another difference? My TV has the DA02 panel, not sure who makes that.

What would you do? Live with it or return/exchange?
post #1464 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
So I discovered 8 dead pixels towards the bottom-center (to the left of the Samsung logo). I wouldn't say they are clumped together but they are scattered in what I'd say is a 6-inch radius. Obviously my OCD is kicking in knowing they are there, but since the pixels are so small in a 4K TV (8 million pixels), they are unnoticeable from my seating area (about 14-15 feet away).

I know most reviews say the 6290's only difference is the bluetooth but could cheaper panels be another difference? My TV has the DA02 panel, not sure who makes that.

If you have the option of returning or exchanging it I would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1465 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Exchange.
post #1466 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Absolutely return. It will bother you forever.

post #1467 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Well I just came home from Costco with a new 70" and there are ZERO cloudy looking pillars on this one. Woohoo!!!
post #1468 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 01:53 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 382
50" KU6300 here. It's fine for a low cost 4k tv, but I'd urge anyone researching these to spend time checking out the viewing angle as it relates to your seating positions in the room it's going in. Color/contrast suffers quite a bit with just slight off-axis viewing.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1469 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
I'm using the Cheetah wall mount

https://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APTMM...tah+wall+mount

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64
post #1470 of 2409 Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Everyone except ras still have firmware 1155?
Yes for me. UN50KU630DF from Costco. I've tried updating with hopes of getting 1160/1162 many times to no avail.

Decided to look at Samsungs website today and lo and behold firmware 1160.6 was available for download! I quickly downloaded the ~1.1GB file, unzipped it and put it onto a usb thumb drive. Put the drive in my tv and... no update available!? Turns out you need to take the "image" folder out and put it at the root of the thumb drive. Once that was done, viola! TV updated to 1160! Yay! Yeah, I'm one of those people that love firmware updates for electronics. Still no 1162 update showing for me, but I'll take what I can get.

One thing I've noticed so far is they fixed the YouTube app where all the feeds would stack on top of each other. Now they populate correctly and fill to the right. Still looking for other improvements...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page