**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1501 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's a new oddity with firmware 1155 on my un55ku6300fxza...

Now when I bring up the Channel Guide, it's not preloaded and the current program I was watching 'pauses' (blank picture/muted sound) in the little picture-in-picture frame. Any attempt to scroll through the Guide at a fast pace causes the pausing to happen again.

Previously, the Guide would always be fully populated and there was never any issue with the current program continuing to run in the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread

3rd Impressions Update: Motion Blur, Judder and Audio drop out with Netflix/Soundbar

I've mentioned that I haven't noticed any motion blur or judder with auto motion turned on. This is mostly accurate but I wanted to give some further details on this.

I've read complaints from other reviews from those who had purchase the KU series regarding judder, motion blur or ghosting. There is some weight to these claims but from what I've witness its largely based on the source material.

Most shows, movies, all video games and sports look flawless in terms of judder or motion blur in my opinion. However some material doesn't look so good in terms of motion blur or judder and I believe its largely due to how that material was filmed and then later digitally altered for production.

One show that I feel that needs more judder reduction than I typically like is 'Colony' starring Josh Holloway on Netflix. For me, anything less than 3 on the custom setting for judder control shows too much motion blur and judder. I honestly have no idea as to how it was filmed but it looks to me like 24p or moments of a slow shutter being used. Movement doesn't seem jerky but just gives off more of a motion blur. This is largely eliminated with auto motion control set to 3.

I've watched Guardians of the Galaxy and that looked great with the motion control set to 2 which is a personal preference of mine to eliminate the 3:2 pull down effect. Also, 'The OA' on Netflix looks great too.

One movie that didn't look good was 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. I've read it was filmed with different types of cameras due to many different shooting situations. That, and maybe some slow shutter or the 24p but its plagued with lots of judder. In fact, one reviewer of the movie said he noticed a lot of it in the actual theatre and it bothered him.

Anyway, I'm bringing this up as the KU series gets blamed for motion control and judder but a lot it largely depends on how the source material was filmed and produced.

Edited: These TVs are getting better and bigger and you notice more flaws now with material that hasn't been recorded or produced to the best standards.

One issue I've been having is with my LG NB3520A sound bar on Netflix with DTS 2.5 Neo which cuts out.

The soundbar will actually shut off and then turn back on. The sound bar is hooked up via an optical cable from the TV to the sound bar. Its purely random and it never happens at the same spot in a show or film. It doesn't always happen either. I've tried both the Netflix app on the TV and the PS4, and also have switched the optical cables with no success.

I'm going to try running just Dobly Digital instead of DTS 2.5 Neo to see if the same issue happens.

Last edited by jra2k1; 01-18-2017 at 06:24 AM.
post #1503 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else had trouble with the Amazon app? Sometimes it refuses to load, I have to do a soft reset on the TV and then it works again. Other times it freezes up (soft reset again). All the other apps work fine so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
3rd Impressions Update: Motion Blur, Judder and Audio drop out with Netflix/Soundbar

I've mentioned that I haven't noticed any motion blur or judder with auto motion turned on. This is mostly accurate but I wanted to give some further details on this.

I've read complaints from other reviews from those who had purchase the KU series regarding judder, motion blur or ghosting. There is some weight to this claims but from what I've witness its largely based on the source material.

Most shows, movies, all video games and sports look flawless in terms of judder or motion blur in my opinion. However some material doesn't look so good in terms of motion blur or judder and I believe its largely due to how that material was filmed and then later digitally altered for production.

One show that I feel that needs more judder reduction than I typically like is 'Colony' starring Josh Holloway on Netflix. For me, anything less than 3 on the custom setting for judder control shows too much motion blur and judder. I honestly have no idea as to how it was filmed but it looks to me like 24p or moments of a slow shutter being used. Movement don't seem jerky but just gives off more of a motion blur. This is largely eliminated with auto motion control set to 3.

I've watched Guardians of the Galaxy and that looked great with the motion control set to 2 which is a personal preference of mine to eliminate the 3:2 pull down effect. Also, 'The OA' on Netflix looks great too.

One movie that didn't look good was 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. I've read it was filmed with different types of cameras due to many different shooting situations. That, and maybe some slow shutter or the 24p but its plagued with lots of judder. In fact, one reviewer of the movie said he noticed a lot of it in the actual theatre and it bothered him.

Anyway, I'm bringing this up as the KU series gets blamed for motion control and judder but a lot it largely depends on how the source material was filmed and produced.

One issue I've been having is with my LG NB3520A sound bar on Netflix with DTS 2.5 Neo which cuts out.

The soundbar will actually shut off and then turn back on. The sound bar is hooked up via an optical cable from the TV to the sound bar. Its purely random and it never happens at the same spot in a show or film. It doesn't always happen either. I've tried both the Netflix app on the TV and the PS4, and also have switched the optical cables with no success.

I'm going to try running just Dobly Digital instead of DTS 2.5 Neo to see if the same issue happens.
Have you tried ARC via HDMI input 3 ? I'm using my samsung soundbar through ARC and it sounds great plus i get to control it with my smart tv controller.
post #1505 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toecheese View Post
Has anyone else had trouble with the Amazon app? Sometimes it refuses to load, I have to do a soft reset on the TV and then it works again. Other times it freezes up (soft reset again). All the other apps work fine so far.
Yes I had this problem twice on the previous firmware, haven't had it again yet. I just unplug the TV to reset it. Is there a restart option in the menu that I'm missing?
post #1506 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs9 View Post
Yes I had this problem twice on the previous firmware, haven't had it again yet. I just unplug the TV to reset it. Is there a restart option in the menu that I'm missing?
Just hold down power on the remote for 4 or 5 seconds, the TV will reset (you'll see the SMART TV logo) and Amazon will work again (I also used this method to fix my source menu icon disappearing one time). It's a soft reset so the TV won't lose any of your settings.
dcs9 and King Richard like this.
post #1507 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toecheese View Post
Just hold down power on the remote for 4 or 5 seconds, the TV will reset (you'll see the SMART TV logo) and Amazon will work again (I also used this method to fix my source menu icon disappearing one time). It's a soft reset so the TV won't lose any of your settings.
Thanks, I figured it was something obvious like that
post #1508 of 2409 Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmcstford View Post
Have you tried ARC via HDMI input 3 ? I'm using my samsung soundbar through ARC and it sounds great plus i get to control it with my smart tv controller.

Unfortunately my sound bar has optical in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1509 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I’ve had the 65KU6300 for a few days now and I’m starting to close in on some picture settings that I like. I’m coming from a top tier Sony 2013 55” model with quantum dot, so I went into this purchase fully knowing that getting a picture to match my Sony was going to be a challenge. Anyway I’m pleased to say the picture to my eye gives the Sony a run for it’s money, and the black levels actually seem better which the Sony was known for in part due to its local dimming. Haven’t noticed any show stopping motion issues which was another area I was concerned about coming from a 240hz set. Colors are excellent as well.

Unfortunately I didn’t win the panel lottery when it comes to DSE, which is probably the quality of a screen that affects my viewing satisfaction the most. My Sony has bad horizontal banding and some radial banding. This Samsung has some quite apparent DSE as well as vertical banding. This is definitely something the manufactures seem to refuse to address. Some might say it’s the nature of an LED panel, but I know they could do better with a little more effort and QC. The vertical banding on mine differs from the banding on the Sony in that the edges of the bands are very sharp and defined and do not feather out. Almost to the point of making it look like less of an actual LED issue and more of another screen characteristic that is causing the light transmission through the panel to be inconsistent.

One more thing I will comment on for now is that I am seeing some color banding. The rtings review stated that this TV can display a 10bit color graduation smoothly, so maybe it’s a content issue? Anyway, mostly pleased with this set. The banding is only really apparent with sports content. Too bad I watch a fair bit of sports uh.
post #1510 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
So I discovered 8 dead pixels towards the bottom-center (to the left of the Samsung logo). I wouldn't say they are clumped together but they are scattered in what I'd say is a 6-inch radius. Obviously my OCD is kicking in knowing they are there, but since the pixels are so small in a 4K TV (8 million pixels), they are unnoticeable from my seating area (about 14-15 feet away).

I know most reviews say the 6290's only difference is the bluetooth but could cheaper panels be another difference? My TV has the DA02 panel, not sure who makes that.

What would you do? Live with it or return/exchange?
Quote:
If you have the option of returning or exchanging it I would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras82 View Post
Absolutely return. It will bother you forever.

So I decided to return my KU6290 because of the multiple dead pixels and new discoveries of 4 green stuck pixels and what looked like to be a piece of debris under the panel!

Made the return at the counter but then got the dreaded BB return "warning ban" receipt print-out 90-days I didn't risk exchanging it or getting a different model because of that 90-day return ban. My fault partially as all the Samsung TVs I bought were not up to standard, so I had multiple returns in a short time span.

So I decided to goto another store (hhg) and said screw it, I'm done making concessions. Went OLED, 36-mo financing. Finally happy

Good luck to you guys with the KU6!
post #1511 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My custom input names keep getting reverted back to the default. What's up with that?
post #1512 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaX08 View Post
My custom input names keep getting reverted back to the default. What's up with that?

Mine too. Not sure what's going on.

post #1513 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaX08 View Post
Same, haven't had it happen in about a week though.
post #1514 of 2409 Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
So I decided to return my KU6290 because of the multiple dead pixels and new discoveries of 4 green stuck pixels and what looked like to be a piece of debris under the panel!

Made the return at the counter but then got the dreaded BB return "warning ban" receipt print-out 90-days I didn't risk exchanging it or getting a different model because of that 90-day return ban. My fault partially as all the Samsung TVs I bought were not up to standard, so I had multiple returns in a short time span.

So I decided to goto another store (hhg) and said screw it, I'm done making concessions. Went OLED, 36-mo financing. Finally happy

Good luck to you guys with the KU6!
hehe i returned 3 40" ku6300 i can careless about their stupid ban. Samsung made ****ty sets not my fault. They dont even have dead pixel policy.
post #1515 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattefrost View Post
hehe i returned 3 40" ku6300 i can careless about their stupid ban. Samsung made ****ty sets not my fault. They dont even have dead pixel policy.
Thats part of the reason they have the ban. If theyre ****ty sets quit buying and returning them.
post #1516 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just posted this over on this thread if anyone interested

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...sung-tv-s.html

40ku6000 (Mexico)

So I woke up this morning, fired up my PC and turned on the 'TV/Monitor and had the blue lines going crazy all over the screen.

It was so bad, I just sat and watched it all like a light show. And it dawned on me that when this happens this bad is when there is an update waiting to be dealt with. So I went to the Settings and checked, sure enough, there it was, a notice about Update 1162 and would I like to update now.

I selected update now of course and watched the pretty light show (blue only, no red this round) for a while as it took about 15 min. to download. You should have seen all the lines across the screen when it neared the 99% complete mark, amazing really.

Well that's it for now. The TV re-booted and not one flicker since. I will report back later. So if your screen starts doing this like crazy, check your update status in settings.
post #1517 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 AM

Does Auto Motion Plus do anything for sports? I've watched hockey and football with it on and I swear I can't tell the difference if it's off or on. It doesn't seem to give the soap opera effect? Are games filmed at 60fps?

post #1518 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately my sound bar has optical in.

Toslink ?

Side note: Am I the only one that bought a set with no dead pixels, never freezes, all apps work great... ? I'm beyond happy with my set.
post #1519 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Where is the best place to get mounting screws for the UN50KU6300FXZA.

M8 x 20.7-21.7
post #1520 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post

M8 x 20.7-21.7
Call your local hardware stores.
post #1521 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Call your local hardware stores.
Thanks. HD has M8 x 20mm, would that work?
post #1522 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I dont remember what I used.
post #1523 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
20-21mm is the depth of the bolt hole from the bottom of the threads to the plastic face of the back of the TV. It's not the length of the bolt you need. The length would be 21mm plus the thickness of your wall mount. For me the total length of the bolt I had to use was 50mm with a couple washers to trim back the length a bit so they they didn't bottom out. I'm using a Sanus mount BTW.
post #1524 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
20-21mm is the depth of the bolt hole from the bottom of the threads to the plastic face of the back of the TV. It's not the length of the bolt you need. The length would be 21mm plus the thickness of your wall mount. For me the total length of the bolt I had to use was 50mm with a couple washers to trim back the length a bit so they they didn't bottom out. I'm using a Sanus mount BTW.
Ah, I see. So I could probably use a 25mm with a washer plus the thickness of the mount.
post #1525 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Does Auto Motion Plus do anything for sports? I've watched hockey and football with it on and I swear I can't tell the difference if it's off or on. It doesn't seem to give the soap opera effect? Are games filmed at 60fps?

I was testing it with hockey last night and I couldn't see any difference between max judder control to having Auto motion disabled. I did notice that LED control not only made the picture dim but hurt the sharpness significantly.
post #1526 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see. So I could probably use a 25mm with a washer plus the thickness of the mount.
Well not really. A 25mm is not going to be near long enough unless your mount was very close to the back of the TV. The head of a 25mm would only allow the thickness of your mount to be something like 4mm. ;-)

Just measure the thickness of your mount (usually the thickness of the mount bracket itself plus any spacer used with the mount to allow cable chasing) and add 21mm or so. Just make sure it's long enough so that it's threaded enough into the TV but not too long that it bottoms out before it tightens against the bracket.
post #1527 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vBeat View Post
Yes, although not very detailed. You need to click on the tiny "?" next to the upgrade file.

This is what's listed for version 1160.6:

- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices
That's the same bull**** they post for all updates. And my TV just updated to 1162.
post #1528 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:

M8 x 20.7-21.7
Harbor Freight has them, also includes them in their Wall mount kit, bought mine for 16 bucks
post #1529 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmcstford View Post
Harbor Freight has them, also includes them in their Wall mount kit, bought mine for 16 bucks
Thanks. I have three tv's mounted at home, so maybe one of the kits still has these. Otherwise I'll go to HD or somewhere and pick some up.
post #1530 of 2409 Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugarci View Post
That's the same bull**** they post for all updates.
Normal for most companies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page