**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1711 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
What format were you watching Castaway in? if your source is highly compressed you're going to get that pixelation. Try watching the same scene from a good blu ray and see if it's still there.
It was on HBO so it was a HD format I would assume. And it doesn't happen on recent movies shot in full HD. I don't have a blueray player connected to this TV but I did not notice it on 4k content on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFeestneus View Post
Does any of you experience the lack of contrast in Movie setting?

I use Natural now, since it has much more contrast which I need for SDR (1080p) viewing of regular aired tv in Europe. But I want to have more influence on colors, so Movie setting is better. But lacks so much contrast.

Who else has this? What is the solution?

I noticed the same thing.. My picture does not really "pop" and has a little bit of a dimmed haze look to it during certain movies.

Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA - Samsung HW-E550 Soundbar - Logitech Harmony 700 Universal Remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Does any of you experience the lack of contrast in Movie setting?

I use Natural now, since it has much more contrast which I need for SDR (1080p) viewing of regular aired tv in Europe. But I want to have more influence on colors, so Movie setting is better. But lacks so much contrast.

Who else has this? What is the solution?
It's all in the calibration. The Movie setting is the closest setting you want to use if what you want to see is how the movie directors wanted you to see it but.............it still needs calibration. Get yourself a calibration disk and calibrate the movie setting. Makes all the difference in the world.
steve1971 likes this.
post #1713 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBNova View Post
Ah yes I should have known. My first 900a had a small cluster of dead pixels and a yellow tint in the middle. Returned it and got another only to find still a yellow middle (although better) but much worse horizontal LED banding. Told myself after that I wouldn't buy another top tier TV. I'd rather be dissatisfied at half the price. :-)

Yeah, not much sense in having a 4k TV if your cables can't handle the signal.

Yeah GB the dead pixels showed up along with what appeared to be fingers on both sides of the tv screen. They werent bad but faint and maybe you could see them on your set as well I dont know. But I'm with you and that is I aint buying no more top tier tv's either because to me they aint no different when it comes to certain issues with LED set's. What I do know is the wife and I are lovin our Samsung 6500 and so far knock on wood no issue's to report. Another thing I aint going to rely on as much anymore is online review's because they all seem to give the high end sets good reviews and ignore the mid to low end sets which at times perform better then the high end sets! So high end is not always better in my opinion. The next tv I will get in a few years will be an LG OLED set because to be honest nothing else will do and I am gonna wait for the prices to drop and see where the OLED tech will be. Until then my Samsung 6500 will do more then just fine. My sole focus in the next few months will be getting a new 4K Blu ray player and keep picking up Blu ray and start collecting 4K disc's. Otherwise I'm good to go as far as anything thing else is concerned when it comes to my HT setup. I didnt have any plans on replacing my W900A as you know until the issues started popping up and it forced my hand to upgrade but this time I didnt have to spend what seemed like a fortune to do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does this TV have an app that will play Sling TV?
post #1715 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by toecheese View Post
Does this TV have an app that will play Sling TV?
Nope.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64
post #1716 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I am now getting the same issue on this tv that has been happening to my KS8000 as well, my 4k videos on youtube are not playing in 4k. I am running out of ideas. I power cycle the TV, the videos play in 4k for a few minutes, then the next 4k video I play is in HD and I have to start the cycle over. It's so obnoxious. Internet is not an issue, 150 down/up. Any ideas?
post #1717 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by movies2090 View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread. Looking to buy the best buy model (6290) for our bedroom. The 55" model. Need help deciding between thst one and the vizio 55 m series. Each are about the same price
AFAIK The KU 6290 and KU 6300 only diverge in that the 6300 has bluetooth and both of them I have seen in the store and the 2015 JU 6500 look pretty darn good for the spend IMO if a 60Hz panel meets your needs and I thought all pictures were a pretty decent SDR 4K and upscaled to 4K SDR TV picture all in all.

TBH I'm not a fan of second tier brand TV 's below Samsung ,LG and Sony tier one like like Vizio and the others .

I think the Samsungs have better color saturation and brightness below clipping and importantly they do have better upscaling than the rubbish second tier 2 brands .
jra2k1 likes this.

Last edited by synccoil; 02-08-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #1718 of 2409 Old 02-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
GBNova
Ah yes I should have known. My first 900a had a small cluster of dead pixels and a yellow tint in the middle. Returned it and got another only to find still a yellow middle (although better) but much worse horizontal LED banding. Told myself after that I wouldn't buy another top tier TV. I'd rather be dissatisfied at half the price. :-)

Yeah, not much sense in having a 4k TV if your cables can't handle the signal.
Actually a decent Samsung ,LG or Sony 4K HDR or SDR TV upscaling 480i/480p /720p/59.94 and 1080i/1080p content looks better with more color volume and saturation within the color volume below clipping and sharper than a native 1080p panel with the same content vis a vis good upscaling now and 4 X 1080p pixels and chroma pixels and less LCD blooming with the smaller pixels and so on.

There is no reason to buy 1080p anymore outside of a constrained budget , the new ones are low spend rubbish anyway not like the older good 1080p TV's up through maybe 2013 -2014 or so mostly at Samsung because that was Sony's cash starved design rubbish TV product crisis noting I have been buying Sony Trinitron and Sony XBR TV's since 1993 and the 2013-2014 product wasn't up to what I would expect of Sony Bravia or Sony XBR and Samsung beat them to real HDR -10 TV's .

2013 -2014 cash starved production Sonys were mostly rubbish IMO and some were carry over models ,a lot of them also had panel defects above that with the rubbish AUO panels and LCD cells they were using then before the Sony TV subsidiary restructuring out of Sony inc. into an owned Sony Inc. subsidiary and its own better management and autonomy .

My 40" 2013 Sony Bravia LED/LCD was rubbish with poorly saturated red and green color primaries ,color banding and color/worse than what they normally are on all the conventional SDR /HD Blue LED lamp panels outside of a real 10 bit Wide color gamut HDR TV ,CCFL /LCD or Plasma .

My 2013 Bravia model had low brightness and color volume all not nearly as good as my 40" real 8 bit + frc decent Samsung panel 2012 Toshiba CCFL/ LCD or the 40" 2012 Insignia here with the same exact CCFL /LCD panel as the Toshiba-Compal .

Old school CCFL /LCD TV panels have better white light spectrum than conventional LED panels with blue -yellow phosphor treated LED without severely pushing blue spectrum before the LCD cell and they make better primaries and color all around within the bt 709 boundaries , besides that they all ripped everybody off charging folks more for cheaper to make LED/LCD TV's as long as they could .

I kicked the 2013 Sony Bravia blue LED rubbish out of this room not a minute too soon for the real decent 2015 Sony 4K XBR in my sig , it's defect free as LCD goes w/ a decent Samsung VA LCD cell /Sony Triluminos 4K HDR panel.

I had to disassemble the rubbish 6 bit + frc panel in the Bravia and put new LED strips in it from new salvage on E pay because they were dropping failing randomly at 2 yrs after I put it in another room at 1 year here .
jra2k1 likes this.

Last edited by synccoil; 02-08-2017 at 06:49 PM.
post #1719 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post
It's all in the calibration. The Movie setting is the closest setting you want to use if what you want to see is how the movie directors wanted you to see it but.............it still needs calibration. Get yourself a calibration disk and calibrate the movie setting. Makes all the difference in the world.
Sure, but whatever you try, the contrast in Natural can not be achieved in Movie setting, at least not on mine. If I set contrast to 100, dynamic contrast to high, it is still nowhere like Natural does (and that one can stay on dynamic medium).

So, how to overcome this difference? Is this a software error? I want the high contrast but change colours to my/calibrated likings.
post #1720 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Yeah GB the dead pixels showed up along with what appeared to be fingers on both sides of the tv screen. They werent bad but faint and maybe you could see them on your set as well I dont know. But I'm with you and that is I aint buying no more top tier tv's either because to me they aint no different when it comes to certain issues with LED set's. What I do know is the wife and I are lovin our Samsung 6500 and so far knock on wood no issue's to report. Another thing I aint going to rely on as much anymore is online review's because they all seem to give the high end sets good reviews and ignore the mid to low end sets which at times perform better then the high end sets! So high end is not always better in my opinion. The next tv I will get in a few years will be an LG OLED set because to be honest nothing else will do and I am gonna wait for the prices to drop and see where the OLED tech will be. Until then my Samsung 6500 will do more then just fine. My sole focus in the next few months will be getting a new 4K Blu ray player and keep picking up Blu ray and start collecting 4K disc's. Otherwise I'm good to go as far as anything thing else is concerned when it comes to my HT setup. I didnt have any plans on replacing my W900A as you know until the issues started popping up and it forced my hand to upgrade but this time I didnt have to spend what seemed like a fortune to do it!
I definitely had the fingers and they are what tormented me for over 2 years. Yeah the online reviews do seem to gloss over any issues with the better sets. The fact of the matter is that TVs at almost any price point have inconsistencies in panel quality. I almost bit on LG’s 55” B6 when it was discounted by 1k here, but the more I read the more I realized they had issues too. Not the least of which was banding which I thought they were free of. At the end of the day I didn’t feel that upgrading was really upgrading for me coming from the 55” Sony unless I also moved up to 65”, which was too expensive in the OLEDs. The other factor was knowing that 4k really shines on a 65” given the extra screen area over the 55”. There is very little difference in quality of a good 1080 feed sent to a 55” and a good and especially average 4k feed to the same TV sitting at an average of 8-10ft from the TV. Now if you like to sit closer to your 55” you are going to benefit from the increase in pixels 4k gives you.
steve1971, lwien123 and jra2k1 like this.
post #1721 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know of a way to toggle game mode rather than going through the 10 or so steps in the menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1722 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Sure, but whatever you try, the contrast in Natural can not be achieved in Movie setting, at least not on mine. If I set contrast to 100, dynamic contrast to high, it is still nowhere like Natural does (and that one can stay on dynamic medium).

So, how to overcome this difference? Is this a software error? I want the high contrast but change colours to my/calibrated likings.
I actually switched over to Natural after reading the posts yesterday and I'm loving what i'm seeing so far. I used it only with the input that my Xfinity X1 is connected to and the picture actually looks the best I've seen.
post #1723 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagatassy View Post
I actually switched over to Natural after reading the posts yesterday and I'm loving what i'm seeing so far. I used it only with the input that my Xfinity X1 is connected to and the picture actually looks the best I've seen.
Cool, nice to see it opened your eyes. That's what I've noticed too... of course, after reading Rtings review (respect) I immediately selected Movie mode and used his calibration as a starting point as well, but after some fiddling I noticed the benefits of Natural. Only downside is, no manual color corrections. Can we ask Samsung support to include this, or include the increased contrast of Natural mode into Movie mode? Or is asking Samsung a waste of time?
post #1724 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Had a somewhat irritating issue with my tv two days ago:

Was playing my PS4 on HDMI 1 which has the same settings as the rest of the inputs do (I have them replicated on all inputs).

Took a break to go have dinner. Turned of PS4 and turned off TV. Came back and noticed the picture didn't look right. Checked the settings, and the settings on HDMI 1 went back to default.

Checked my other inputs, and they are all where they are supposed to be and the setting to apply those settings across the inputs is still selected. Ok, I don't want to have to go through all that stuff, so I just turned that off and back on again, and it didn't apply those changed back to HDMI 1. Make a couple of changes on other settings and checked again, they still didn't apply to HDMI 1.

Had to manually grab all of my settings and apply them to HDMI 1 to get them back where they were before it was reset. No idea what happened or why the settings aren't being applied universally.

Same day, I went to use the youtube app on the machine, and I had to reactivate it to my youtube account. No idea why. Did not have the same issue with my other apps (hulu, netflix, amazon, etc).

Got it all fixed, and everything is fine now, but that was a nice waste of a half hour for some unknown reason.
post #1725 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is it me or Netflix 4k doesn't seem any different. I tried watching in the tv app 4k and from the app in TiVo. They both look the same

post #1726 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotto1 View Post
Is it me or Netflix 4k doesn't seem any different. I tried watching in the tv app 4k and from the app in TiVo. They both look the same

What's your viewing distance like? I don't have Netflix 4K, but on other 4K sources like amazon and youtube, I really can't tell the difference between 4K and 1080p unless I'm sitting closer to the screen. Then it becomes noticeable. From a standard viewing distance, however, there is no discernable difference.
post #1727 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM

8 feet. TV is 55"

post #1728 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 PM

My guess is that with a 55" display, you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference at that distance.

I sit about 10-11 feet from my 60" tv. But when I'm up close say 4-6 feet, I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.
post #1729 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 03:46 PM

Closer will be uncomfortable.

post #1730 of 2409 Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotto1 View Post
8 feet. TV is 55"

I can tell at 8-10ft that 4K native and upscaled to 4K is better and with more chroma pixels on my Sony below this may vary below a tier one brand like Samsung and Sony with the upscaling and maybe native 4K .

Another thing on a high bit depth 4K SDR content and some 4K you tube the VA panel vs view angle color sift is way less than 1080p vis a vis 4x more well saturated chroma pixels but below that content it is typical VA color saturation shift vs angle .

Outside of constrained budget IMO there no reason to by a 1080p beyond 32" max 40" and the 1080p sets arent the better model tiers they used to be and even some of the Sony 1080p have been runish like my 2013 1080p Sony Bravia in another room

That 2013 40" Bravia came with a 6 bit + frc rubbish panel with inaccurate primaries , color and poor saturation and color volume below clipping worse than the normal poor color volume on any LED panel below HDR wide color panels and Plasma and OLED outside of maybe these 4K SDR Samsung 6290/6300 that arent bad as SDR color goes .

The low spend Sony XR120 processing was rubbish and noisy on CATV /SAT /Netflix and crushed blacks and shadows on anything outside of a 5 star Blu Ray unlike the Sony in my sig. and it could not get very bright like maybe 178 NIT thats all .It left this room not a minute to soon

I replaced all the LED 's in that 2013 Bravis already with new salvage parts inexpensively from E pay because they were randomly failing already . So I,m back to the usual spendy and superlative Sony XBR quality in here now and not the straight Bravia rubbish

Last edited by synccoil; 02-09-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #1731 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagatassy View Post
For my 1080i source it feels sharper, more detailed, but after watching some more I've noticed Natural only makes it darker and and gives a more narrow field of view I guess, it focusses you on hard lights and center of screen.

I'm using this now:
As a base Rtings colors and changes
Movie mode
Brightness a bit down to 40
Sharpness 60
Color 50-60 depends on your liking
Dynamic contrast high
Contrast 100
Warm2

It suits my needs, gives me more accurate colors, more detail in otherwise blackened parts of screen and more easy on the eyes while retaining sharpness and contrast.

Since using others calibrations is not perfect, what is the cheapest/best/most easy calibration method for a DIY / home user?
post #1732 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

It suits my needs, gives me more accurate colors, more detail in otherwise blackened parts of screen and more easy on the eyes while retaining sharpness and contrast.
It really really doesn't.

(Sorry, I realize that this makes me come off as an *******)
post #1733 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsuki View Post
It really really doesn't.

(Sorry, I realize that this makes me come off as an *******)
So what part have I set up wrong?
post #1734 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is there an indicator on the screen that tells you when the pic is 4K? Is there a remote control option to show that you have 4K?

UN65JU6700FXZA TD01 3/15
PN51D6500
BD-D6500
Sony CT-100
USN Ret.
post #1735 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
So what part have I set up wrong?
Dynamic contrast should be set to off, sharpness should be 0, unless in PC mode (in which case it should be 50), color should be 50, contrast 95 and I have no ideia about the brightness.
This is only if you want an accurate picture. You may (and probably will) find it lacking it "punch" or saturation.
dooku77 likes this.

Last edited by Metsuki; 02-10-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #1736 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3224 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post
Is there an indicator on the screen that tells you when the pic is 4K? Is there a remote control option to show that you have 4K?
No
post #1737 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Since using others calibrations is not perfect, what is the cheapest/best/most easy calibration method for a DIY / home user?
Disney WOW Disc.
post #1738 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsuki View Post
Dynamic contrast should be set to off, sharpness should be 0, unless in PC mode.....
This is NOT the case for every set. On mine, I used Digital Video Essentials (DVE) to calibrate and no artifacts showed up until I exceeded 28 in sharpness so I set it at 27 and the pic is great.

This is the reason why I feel that using a calibration disc is essential as every set is different, even within the same model line.
SamBerts likes this.

Last edited by lwien123; 02-10-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #1739 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien123 View Post
This is NOT the case for every set. On mine, I used Digital Video Essentials (DVE) to calibrate and no artifacts showed up until I exceeded 28 in sharpness so I set it at 27 and the pic is great.

This is the reason why I feel that using a calibration disc is essential as every set is different, even within the same model line.
Agreed.
18 was my Sharpness limit so I set it at 15.
lwien123 likes this.
post #1740 of 2409 Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 AM

So I noticed another weird thing while playing Final Fantasy XV on my PS4.

Following the most recent firmware update on the TV, which I realized is probably what caused the other recent issues, I noticed that the game seemed awfully dark even after I got the tv settings back to how they were. I was beginning to think that maybe they updated either the PS4 or the game and the colors and such just changed to be darker due to the update or how it handles HDR.

I checked, however, and there were no updates on either in the last few weeks, so it couldn't be related to that. Started thinking maybe there was an issue between the PS4 and the tv, so I rebooted both several times.

I finally noticed something, however. When I booted up the PS4, the colors on the menu were bright and vibrant. However, when I went into the game (which is kicking on the HDR signal), the colors were dull and washed out. Instead of turning off HDR in the game this time, I went to the PS4 menu to turn off HDR and I noticed that the menu was no longer bright and vibrant, but was instead dark and washed out, just like the game had been. That was my clue. I turned off HDR and everything was bright and vibrant again.

So just for fun, I went and turned HDR back on, but this time I turned on HDR+ mode on the tv and it looks beautiful and vibrant, just as had before. So my thinking is that the latest firmware update changes how the TV handles HDR. Previously, the HDR signal would automatically be bright and the colors a little more vivid, but now I have to turn on HDR+ to get any benefits of HDR. Fortunately, I don't use an awful lot of HDR content currently, otherwise this would be quite irritating. As it stands, it's only a mild annoyance that I have to turn on HDR+ manually each time I want to watch an HDR source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page