**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 2409 Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Having had the 60 for a couple of months now, I continue to be pleased overall with the picture quality, but, let's face it, the "smart" software is really annoying. Apps often will not load without turning the tv off and holding the power button until the "smart tv" logo appears, and the set will often not recognize my AVR as an input. Lately, Hulu will refuse to load once it's exited each and every time. I'm really considering buying a Roku 4k and foregoing all the built-in apps completely. Of course, I've been reading about some issues with HDMI input 1...come on Samsung!
Dargent0628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 2409 Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,831
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Same here.
Nice picture. Smart part is crap.
Dargent0628 likes this.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1923 of 2409 Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Joe_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some issues with the smart apps. One of the biggest issues is that Samsung chose to keep the apps running so they appear to launch faster. Netflix and Amazon apps work sometimes using this method but very often you have to close them and relaunch or reload them as the apps don't see to be compatible with this always running method.


@winladen I noticed the same thing too. Happens infrequently but occasionally the remote won't turn the TV on. If I spin the batteries it works for a week or two. I'm wondering if they're just bad batteries. Keep meaning to replace them. Have a friend with the same TV and same complaint.
Joe_M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1924 of 2409 Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Member
 
winladen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M View Post
I have some issues with the smart apps. One of the biggest issues is that Samsung chose to keep the apps running so they appear to launch faster. Netflix and Amazon apps work sometimes using this method but very often you have to close them and relaunch or reload them as the apps don't see to be compatible with this always running method.


@winladen I noticed the same thing too. Happens infrequently but occasionally the remote won't turn the TV on. If I spin the batteries it works for a week or two. I'm wondering if they're just bad batteries. Keep meaning to replace them. Have a friend with the same TV and same complaint.
Yeah, it doesn't do it often. The banding is more of a concern for me tho. I'll probably get on the horn to Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
winladen is offline  
post #1925 of 2409 Old 03-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Member
 
marcrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrobert View Post
I have been using the TV since january, 49ku6500, which i kept after trying a vizio P50 and a sony 800D. I like the curved screen and the wifi performance for 4K has been pretty consistent. I have not had any hardware problems that I can see like green bars or other issues, I don't have blooming or clouding or a much bleed. Screen uniformity seems to be pretty good. Maybe because the inflated price tag for the curved TVs means they get better QA/build quality? Don'T know.

Black levels are good. The P50 does a bit better in a totally dark room for ex. with white text on black, like rolling credits, but with a small amount of light in the room the 6500 performs nearly as well, whites really pop on black. Overall, the image quality of the P50 is more satisfying with wide color gamut, but the TV i had had trouble keeping a wifi connection. Also did not like the casting experience at all (i use glasses, PITA to always look at the remote) and the other glitches with the remote tablet which loses connection to tv. When it came to contrast in normal scenes like well lit indoors or outdoors, p50 looked generally richer more depth and contrast, 6500 flatter picture. In some cases of 1080 sources, it was a toss up between the 2 tvs. the vizio processing was better in some cases, worse than the 6500 in others. Upscaling 1080i was also a toss up, samsung won in some cases, vizio in others. Color - obviously more versatility for saturation with the vizio or sony, both around 9x% wcg (43 inch, very good blacks by the way, as good or better than 6500). Motion processing and articfacts for complex scenes - Sony is the clear king by dar for producing a clean image where the other 2 fail. Example : intro credits for the show Silicon Valley - the animated view of all the companies in the valley with many many moving parts. On vizio and sam, the scene simply falls apart, i.e. blocking, pixelation etc, not on the sony. (all set to movie mode, low brightness, high contrast etc,). Stunning difference here, Sony clearly wins (as does my sams plasma)

Because i got the ku6500 half price at xmas it would have cost another 40% on top if i had kept the vizio (also on sale), so I figured I would stay with the 6500 (bedroom tv) and wait a couple of years for wide color and everything else to be standard across the board and then pull the trigger on another tv. Even though the 6500 purely on contrast and color was not as good as p50, it varied widely depending on content and source, and the overall package of samsung, with bt support and fairly good smart tv OS (sony is good also with android TV). If the sony 800d came in a non IPS 49 inch I would probably have considerd it seriously because ideal size for my application, but it only comes in 2 sizes and 43 was too small. Of the 3 brands, sony easily has the best /most solid build quality, not to mention a headphone jack where the remote actually controls the volume. Why samsung lets you connect bt headphones but then you have no volume control with the remote is very frustrating

My 3 areas of issues/questions for the 6500.
1. USB playback on various HD content, i.e. good qualtiy 1080p content from yify YTS for example. I noticed severe ghosting/trails in any darker scenes on anything moving, and not just the outline, the whole object does not seem to refresh fast enough. Has anybody noticed this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought it was just 1 file, but I tried several files and sure enough, its on all of em -horrible. When there's nore light in the scene, no problem.

2. LED clear motion - I use this with movie mode and custom judder on 4. This seems to do the trick. At first I was annoyed by the flicker/strobe aspect if it, but got used to it. It reduces brightness considerably, but i find most stuff i watch good in that mode. I don't like dynamic modes anyways, and not needed in a dark bedroom
What is your experience with LED clear motion?

3. HDR+ - I've played around with HDR+, for some content, esp. streaming higher than 1080p content, its interesting. I'm wondering if it is just a set of settings, or is it more than that? Is there some processing going on besides the obvious changes to backlight (at max) etc?

When/how do you use hdr+ and what is your experience with it?

thx for comments
1. USB playback on various HD content, i.e. good qualtiy 1080p content from yify YTS for example. I noticed severe ghosting/trails in any darker scenes on anything moving, and not just the outline, the whole object does not seem to refresh fast enough. Has anybody noticed this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought it was just 1 file, but I tried several files and sure enough, its on all of em -horrible. When there's nore light in the scene, no problem.

NOTE: this ghosting of moving people in the dark is not just on USB, its also on broadcast movies or series on HDMI or component 1080i or p from cable/fiber provider!
marcrobert is offline  
post #1926 of 2409 Old 03-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Member
 
marcrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrobert View Post
I have been using the TV since january, 49ku6500, which i kept after trying a vizio P50 and a sony 800D. I like the curved screen and the wifi performance for 4K has been pretty consistent. I have not had any hardware problems that I can see like green bars or other issues, I don't have blooming or clouding or a much bleed. Screen uniformity seems to be pretty good. Maybe because the inflated price tag for the curved TVs means they get better QA/build quality? Don'T know.

Black levels are good. The P50 does a bit better in a totally dark room for ex. with white text on black, like rolling credits, but with a small amount of light in the room the 6500 performs nearly as well, whites really pop on black. Overall, the image quality of the P50 is more satisfying with wide color gamut, but the TV i had had trouble keeping a wifi connection. Also did not like the casting experience at all (i use glasses, PITA to always look at the remote) and the other glitches with the remote tablet which loses connection to tv. When it came to contrast in normal scenes like well lit indoors or outdoors, p50 looked generally richer more depth and contrast, 6500 flatter picture. In some cases of 1080 sources, it was a toss up between the 2 tvs. the vizio processing was better in some cases, worse than the 6500 in others. Upscaling 1080i was also a toss up, samsung won in some cases, vizio in others. Color - obviously more versatility for saturation with the vizio or sony, both around 9x% wcg (43 inch, very good blacks by the way, as good or better than 6500). Motion processing and articfacts for complex scenes - Sony is the clear king by dar for producing a clean image where the other 2 fail. Example : intro credits for the show Silicon Valley - the animated view of all the companies in the valley with many many moving parts. On vizio and sam, the scene simply falls apart, i.e. blocking, pixelation etc, not on the sony. (all set to movie mode, low brightness, high contrast etc,). Stunning difference here, Sony clearly wins (as does my sams plasma)

Because i got the ku6500 half price at xmas it would have cost another 40% on top if i had kept the vizio (also on sale), so I figured I would stay with the 6500 (bedroom tv) and wait a couple of years for wide color and everything else to be standard across the board and then pull the trigger on another tv. Even though the 6500 purely on contrast and color was not as good as p50, it varied widely depending on content and source, and the overall package of samsung, with bt support and fairly good smart tv OS (sony is good also with android TV). If the sony 800d came in a non IPS 49 inch I would probably have considerd it seriously because ideal size for my application, but it only comes in 2 sizes and 43 was too small. Of the 3 brands, sony easily has the best /most solid build quality, not to mention a headphone jack where the remote actually controls the volume. Why samsung lets you connect bt headphones but then you have no volume control with the remote is very frustrating

My 3 areas of issues/questions for the 6500.
1. USB playback on various HD content, i.e. good qualtiy 1080p content from yify YTS for example. I noticed severe ghosting/trails in any darker scenes on anything moving, and not just the outline, the whole object does not seem to refresh fast enough. Has anybody noticed this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought it was just 1 file, but I tried several files and sure enough, its on all of em -horrible. When there's nore light in the scene, no problem.

2. LED clear motion - I use this with movie mode and custom judder on 4. This seems to do the trick. At first I was annoyed by the flicker/strobe aspect if it, but got used to it. It reduces brightness considerably, but i find most stuff i watch good in that mode. I don't like dynamic modes anyways, and not needed in a dark bedroom
What is your experience with LED clear motion?

3. HDR+ - I've played around with HDR+, for some content, esp. streaming higher than 1080p content, its interesting. I'm wondering if it is just a set of settings, or is it more than that? Is there some processing going on besides the obvious changes to backlight (at max) etc?

When/how do you use hdr+ and what is your experience with it?

thx for comments
1. USB playback on various HD content, i.e. good qualtiy 1080p content from yify YTS for example. I noticed severe ghosting/trails in any darker scenes on anything moving, and not just the outline, the whole object does not seem to refresh fast enough. Has anybody noticed this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought it was just 1 file, but I tried several files and sure enough, its on all of em -horrible. When there's nore light in the scene, no problem.

NOTE: this ghosting of people or anything moving in darker/low light scenes (usually inside a room, could be as simple as head moving up and down, whole body etc.) is not just on USB, its also on broadcast movies or series on HDMI or component 1080i or p from cable/fiber provider!
marcrobert is offline  
post #1927 of 2409 Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Member
 
jra2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrobert View Post
1. USB playback on various HD content, i.e. good qualtiy 1080p content from yify YTS for example. I noticed severe ghosting/trails in any darker scenes on anything moving, and not just the outline, the whole object does not seem to refresh fast enough. Has anybody noticed this? Is there a way to fix it? I thought it was just 1 file, but I tried several files and sure enough, its on all of em -horrible. When there's nore light in the scene, no problem.



NOTE: this ghosting of people or anything moving in darker/low light scenes (usually inside a room, could be as simple as head moving up and down, whole body etc.) is not just on USB, its also on broadcast movies or series on HDMI or component 1080i or p from cable/fiber provider!


I have LED clear motion on, backlight 20 and auto motion plus at 2 or 3 depending on the content. No issues on my end with those settings for my eyes.

Edit: If my settings don't help, leave LED clear motion ON but set the auto motion to 1 or 0. That would be for really dark movies. I had something similar happen in some darks scenes for the movie Deep Water Horizon but turning it to 0 fixed it for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jra2k1; 03-15-2017 at 05:06 PM.
jra2k1 is offline  
post #1928 of 2409 Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Samsung UN40KU6270 screen is connected to my PC. I was reading web pages when the screen suddenly turned black by itself without warning. At first I thought my computer crashed, but it didn't. The computer didn't activate its screen saver because the other monitors connected to the PC are still on.

I used the Samsung remote, clicked power (I forgot how many times) and the TV turned on again.

I'm curious whether this is because of Auto Protection being activated? My setting is set to 2 hours. But this doesn't make much sense because I was using computer and the screen should not be considered idle during this time.
user2017 is offline  
post #1929 of 2409 Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
i picked up a 65" 6500 and wondered what you guys recommend for color setting? colors seem to be over saturated but when i reduce the color from 50 to 40 things dont look right. i have never owned a samsung tv before and this tv seems to have more color than i am used to. maybe i am the one that needs to adjust but i am not sure. any suggestions would be appreciated.
smokozuna is offline  
post #1930 of 2409 Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Member
 
jra2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
i picked up a 65" 6500 and wondered what you guys recommend for color setting? colors seem to be over saturated but when i reduce the color from 50 to 40 things dont look right. i have never owned a samsung tv before and this tv seems to have more color than i am used to. maybe i am the one that needs to adjust but i am not sure. any suggestions would be appreciated.


I have the exact tv as you and I used the rtings.com calibration settings for this tv. Seems good to me. On occasion I turn on the dynamic contrast but that's it and motion settings to my taste.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jra2k1 is offline  
post #1931 of 2409 Old 03-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
I have the exact tv as you and I used the rtings.com calibration settings for this tv. Seems good to me. On occasion I turn on the dynamic contrast but that's it and motion settings to my taste.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thank you for the reply, with color set @ 50 everything is over saturated, skin tones are off, everyone looks like they have a sunburn and peoples hands are pink. i lowered the color from 50 down to 30 and i think i am in good shape now. i have only spent a few hours watching this tv since buying it and i think we are close now to being dialed in.
jra2k1 likes this.
smokozuna is offline  
post #1932 of 2409 Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I know the first rule about the service menu and ASM, "there is no service menu" lol.

However, with this said...I do need some help for one of you kind souls.

I have a friend that wanted to try and enable Bluetooth for some reason, and we may have messed up the wifi somehow trying thr BCM Combo vs. QCR setting perhaps. Im not sure . We adjusted a few things, then tried a few more.

Would a kind sould with a UN40KU6290 please post factory screenshots. Actually We were trying to get the BT remote working, and Voice control. No such luck so far.

Please post somes screenshots of the menus if possible. We went into MRT and option menu maybe. I thank you for the assist. Never could get the display to get a BT mac address, so perhaps unlike the previous models they have removed the actual BT chipset rom the KU6290 series. If it helps I had a KU6300 right beside it but now the Wifi no longer works for him, and was trying to get that fixed for him.
nc88keyz is online now  
post #1933 of 2409 Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,831
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
thank you for the reply, with color set @ 50 everything is over saturated, skin tones are off, everyone looks like they have a sunburn and peoples hands are pink. i lowered the color from 50 down to 30 and i think i am in good shape now. i have only spent a few hours watching this tv since buying it and i think we are close now to being dialed in.
Which Picture Mode are you using?
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1934 of 2409 Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Which Picture Mode are you using?
i selected movie, then set special viewing mode to game because we use the xbox one s for everything. we were watching iron fist and kept noticing people hands were pink and there faces looked sunburned so i lowered the color form 50 to 40 and then lowered it again to 30. also when i start forza 6 the blue ford gt40 looked purplish instead of blue. lowering the color to 30 seems to have corrected this.

Last edited by smokozuna; 03-20-2017 at 07:06 AM.
smokozuna is offline  
post #1935 of 2409 Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
lowering to 30 ruins the greens, i have tried for days to get the color right on this tv and i just dont think this tv is for me. it has too much red in it and i cant seem to fix it. skin tones look unnatural, hands. lips, knees and ears are pink and i cant stand it. Samsung over saturates colors and i am just not a fan of that, it looks so unnatural.
smokozuna is offline  
post #1936 of 2409 Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
jack54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbeginner22 View Post
I recently got the 70" 6300 and judder isn't really an issue. Picture looks fantastic streaming 4k netflix and youtube. One major issue though, I have Comcast X1, and I'm watching football on ABC and the picture quality looks absolutely awful. Colors are not sharp and appeared to be washed out, and the grass is a very bad green color with not much detail it seems to pixelated. I do not have sports mode on, but when I did it made it look even worse. I went upstairs to my 2013 60" vizio which is 1080p and nothing special just the normal model, and it looked much better. Anyone have good sports/football settings I can use to calibrate?
Did this get resolved as I watch a lot of football during the season.

I'm picking between the flat 6300 or curved 6500. Input on that please.

I'm told on another post I made asking which TV's to buy: Samsung, Vizio, LG in same $1,000 price range and a couple have said those all were junk, that I need to spend $1,500 up for a better 4k TV and not to buy a curve. However people in these threads seem to like the 6300 versions?

I currently have the Sony kdl70w830b 70" 3D HDTV model and am pretty happy with it, but was hoping a 4K TV would be better.

Thanks for any and all input.
jack54 is offline  
post #1937 of 2409 Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,831
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
lowering to 30 ruins the greens, i have tried for days to get the color right on this tv and i just dont think this tv is for me. it has too much red in it and i cant seem to fix it. skin tones look unnatural, hands. lips, knees and ears are pink and i cant stand it. Samsung over saturates colors and i am just not a fan of that, it looks so unnatural.
Switch back to Movie mode.
smokozuna likes this.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1938 of 2409 Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had posted previously about HDCP errors with my 55" 6290 and I ended up bringing it back, then getting a Vizio M55-D0 based on all of the good reviews. The picture couldn't touch the Sammy's, and the whole Smartcast concept was just too clunky for me, so I returned it. I found one lone 6290 left at a Best Buy in my area (it wasn't on display-the salesman told me it was leftover from Black Friday!) So far no errors but the picture seems to have a slight red push, but it's totally acceptable and I'm sure I'll get it dialed in. This set is an amazing deal and, at least in my case, can confirm the picture (and the whole user experience, frankly) beats the Vizio M series hands down, and it costs less.
Enrique0107 is offline  
post #1939 of 2409 Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Newbie
 
David Farah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Fit to Screen" function

Samsung Support just told me Fit to Screen ONLY works with broadcast signals. I told her that that is not true because the same content going through my UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray Player has the correct screen size and Fit to Screen does work properly.

Anyone know how to enable Fit to Screen on this TV? It is disabled by default and greyed-out. I have tried everything to enable it. There isn't a Service Menu function listed either. Samsung Support also told me a firmware new release cannot fix it either. Hummm....true?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

BTW: The content is through the SmartHub using the YouTube app.

BTW: I am not a Newbie! Something must have reset because I've posted hundreds of quality posts!!
David Farah is offline  
post #1940 of 2409 Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Member
 
johnstonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was able to connect my 65" KU6300 to my SmartThings hub last night, which I thought wasn't going to work. The interface to the SmartThings app gives me that Functions On/Off, Volume Control, Change the Display Movie, Standard etc.. and Sound. The only function my Amazon Echo recognizes is On/Off, anyone else using this setup, I'd like to be able to increase/decrease the Volume though voice control.
johnstonk is offline  
post #1941 of 2409 Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
smokozuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Switch back to Movie mode.
thank you for this, switching from game to movie mode has made things better. switching to movie mode also changes color space from native in game mode to auto in movie mode which cures color over-saturation. samsung even has a little article explaining this. thanks again Mr. Bond.


http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/skp/faq/1059112
jra2k1 likes this.
smokozuna is offline  
post #1942 of 2409 Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,831
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonk View Post
I was able to connect my 65" KU6300 to my SmartThings hub last night, which I thought wasn't going to work. The interface to the SmartThings app gives me that Functions On/Off, Volume Control, Change the Display Movie, Standard etc.. and Sound. The only function my Amazon Echo recognizes is On/Off, anyone else using this setup, I'd like to be able to increase/decrease the Volume though voice control.
You need a Harmony Hub for that.
johnstonk likes this.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1943 of 2409 Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Member
 
marcrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
Did this get resolved as I watch a lot of football during the season.

I'm picking between the flat 6300 or curved 6500. Input on that please.

I'm told on another post I made asking which TV's to buy: Samsung, Vizio, LG in same $1,000 price range and a couple have said those all were junk, that I need to spend $1,500 up for a better 4k TV and not to buy a curve. However people in these threads seem to like the 6300 versions?

I currently have the Sony kdl70w830b 70" 3D HDTV model and am pretty happy with it, but was hoping a 4K TV would be better.

Thanks for any and all input.
i prefer 6500. If you are close to the screen you will feel surrounded. Its pretty cool. If you can get a curved one for the same price, go with curved. The list price is 30-40% more on the curved ones, I believe the quality control and build quality is different to justify the price difference. I got my 6500 on sale same price as 6300 on sale. no regrets. picture doesn't pop as much as wider color gamut models with better contrast like vizio p50, but overall i like the samsung package better given the much lower price, and did not want LG IPS. SOny X800D was also nice, great pricture processing, but only comes in 43 and 49 and i would avoid the 49 IPS panel.

If you can find it for similar price as the 6X00, go for the 7500 - curved, better finishes, thinner bezel, and it has wider color gamut. otherwise you have to go up to the 8500 = different price category. 7500 often seems to be in same price as 8500 - at same price 8500 is better.

I have custom judder set on 4, i also use led clear motion (you get used to the flicker), and i have backlight cranked down pretty far most of the time - 8-10, and brightness around 42. I am in movie mode 90% of the time, the bedroom is pretty dark. If you are in bright room with sun at times you have no choice but to crank up the brightness and backlight. This does degrade picture quality for sure, you will see all of the processing shortcomings, blocking and other crap you might not see in movie mode with darker/smoother image you get.

I had some issues with the occasional stutter that i couldnt figure out if it was the tv or the content, but i had other issues with sony and vizio. i dont notice problems anymore, you can go up to custom judder 5 without much Soap opera.

Sony probably has the cleanest picture/best processing for 1080i/p signals from cable boxes in my experience on the 800d not sure about other models. There is also panasonic, but i have not seen them myself, not cheap.

For streaming, the results have been excellent on the 6500. Wifi is very good, no need for cable connection, i get 50+ mbits with modem on another floor, so no problems with 4K for me.

beautiful rich colors on 4k/4k hdr demos, 0 judder problems on anything streamed. Of course these 4k demo clips are designed to be perfect...

1 issue so far is severe ghosting of darker moving objects in indoor scenes that aren't well lit (1080p and lower content). This might be because i have led clear motion on, its a bit annoying. I'm not sure what the solution is yet.

As far as sports, there's no easy answer. with a much higher res panel, it is optimized for 4k signals, but there are so many variables as far as signal quality when you are dealing with broadcast signals supplied by cable/fiber providers. Not only does it depend on the content producer, whether a film was a high quality transfer or not, also on the compression applied by the provider, the cable box, etc.

The 4K qualities of a 4K tv will be most noticeable with streaming content like youtube, netflix, etc. native 4k content.

If your tv is only 2-3 years old, your 1080p content and sports might look just as good or better than on this tv. the 6000 series does not have exceptional color performance, not a huge improvement over a high end 1080p. TV content is now shot in wider color. For those shows on TV in 1080i/p they look great on my 2012 plasma i can see the extra colors, with zero motion or other artifacts. THis 6500 tv is more like a swiss army knife vs a global chef knife. It does a lot of things quite well, but if you only need to carve a roast, get the high end carving knife not the swiss army.
jra2k1 likes this.

Last edited by marcrobert; 03-26-2017 at 06:03 PM.
marcrobert is offline  
post #1944 of 2409 Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Member
 
jra2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrobert View Post
i prefer 6500. If you are close to the screen you will feel surrounded. Its pretty cool. If you can get a curved one for the same price, go with curved. The list price is 30-40% more on the curved ones, I believe the quality control and build quality is different to justify the price difference. I got my 6500 on sale same price as 6300 on sale. no regrets. picture doesn't pop as much as wider color gamut models with better contrast like vizio p50, but overall i like the samsung package better given the much lower price, and did not want LG IPS. SOny X800D was also nice, great pricture processing, but only comes in 43 and 49 and i would avoid the 49 IPS panel.



If you can find it for similar price as the 6X00, go for the 7500 - curved, better finishes, thinner bezel, and it has wider color gamut. otherwise you have to go up to the 8500 = different price category. 7500 often seems to be in same price as 8500 - at same price 8500 is better.



I have custom judder set on 4, i also use led clear motion (you get used to the flicker), and i have backlight cranked down pretty far most of the time - 8-10, and brightness around 42. I am in movie mode 90% of the time, the bedroom is pretty dark. If you are in bright room with sun at times you have no choice but to crank up the brightness and backlight. This does degrade picture quality for sure, you will see all of the processing shortcomings, blocking and other crap you might not see in movie mode with darker/smoother image you get.



I had some issues with the occasional stutter that i couldnt figure out if it was the tv or the content, but i had other issues with sony and vizio. i dont notice problems anymore, you can go up to custom judder 5 without much Soap opera.



Sony probably has the cleanest picture/best processing for 1080i/p signals from cable boxes in my experience on the 800d not sure about other models. There is also panasonic, but i have not seen them myself, not cheap.



For streaming, the results have been excellent on the 6500. Wifi is very good, no need for cable connection, i get 50+ mbits with modem on another floor, so no problems with 4K for me.



beautiful rich colors on 4k/4k hdr demos, 0 judder problems on anything streamed. Of course these 4k demo clips are designed to be perfect...



1 issue so far is severe ghosting of darker moving objects in indoor scenes that aren't well lit (1080p and lower content). This might be because i have led clear motion on, its a bit annoying. I'm not sure what the solution is yet.



As far as sports, there's no easy answer. with a much higher res panel, it is optimized for 4k signals, but there are so many variables as far as signal quality when you are dealing with broadcast signals supplied by cable/fiber providers. Not only does it depend on the content producer, whether a film was a high quality transfer or not, also on the compression applied by the provider, the cable box, etc.



The 4K qualities of a 4K tv will be most noticeable with streaming content like youtube, netflix, etc. native 4k content.



If your tv is only 2-3 years old, your 1080p content and sports might look just as good or better than on this tv. the 6000 series does not have exceptional color performance, not a huge improvement over a high end 1080p. TV content is now shot in wider color. For those shows on TV in 1080i/p they look great on my 2012 plasma i can see the extra colors, with zero motion or other artifacts. THis 6500 tv is more like a swiss army knife vs a global chef knife. It does a lot of things quite well, but if you only need to carve a roast, get the high end carving knife not the swiss army.


Great review! I also have the 6500. I found for me if I turn the auto motion to 1 or off I don't get the ghosting in dark scenes.


Also I had to turn the FILM MODE off because on cable tv it creates a horrible jerky movement as well as on other content. It's meant for smoothing 1080i content but it just makes it awful. It stutters too much with it on.

I think the ghosting is caused by the scene being too dark for the auto motion to work properly because it has to create a fake frame for the next frame. It basically adds frames to create a smoother look. If it can't clearly distinguish where or what the object is it turns into a smearing/ ghosting mess.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jra2k1 is offline  
post #1945 of 2409 Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ghosting can be disabled by turning Clean Digital View off. The one which reduces noise and such. Turn it off and your set.

Stuttering
The stuttering on 1080i content drives me mad though, I have only began noticing it since update 1165, before it just was not there. Like samsung has inserted it to make me upgrade to a better model....

Does everybody notice this, my content (cable box) is 1080i50. It seems to stutter on each scene for the first few frames, then have enough info to smoothen and do alright from then, but in the next scene, here we go again. If it just would buffer 100ms more (sure, input delay would be 100ms higher but who cares on cable box content), then the problem would be gone.

Where can you contact samsung? I want to ask them about this...

Where can you get older firmwares? (EU version KU6000)

Last edited by TonyFeestneus; 03-27-2017 at 01:47 AM.
TonyFeestneus is offline  
post #1946 of 2409 Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
djb5f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I recently got the UN65KU649DFXZA (so I think this is the right forum; it is the same TV I believe just with no bluetooth feature and purchased from Costco).

Having so many problems with stuttering (is that the same as juddering, I think so). I tried many Auto Motion Plus options but I think I need to set it to "Off", correct? I thought I tried many settings there including Off and different Customs, without much relief. I will try again tonight.

Color and all is nice on the TV but I just can't seem to get it to capture motion properly (not even talking about sports or fast motion just regular programming).

I already have it mounted and don't want to return as I think there are settings that can help. Anyone be my savior here?


EDIT - My wife uses this TV more and says it looks like a soap opera (she is not familiar with the "soap opera effect" terminology so interesting she described it that way).

However, what really bother me is the juddering, where it does not refresh right and skips ahead. I think soap opera effect and judder are opposite extremes? If you correct for one, you have to deal with the other??? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, it feels like I am doomed with this TV.

Fortunately, my main viewing is on a 60" Plasma which I have no issue with soap opera effect or juddering but I really want to get this other TV working right. It is very distracting.

Last edited by djb5f; 03-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.
djb5f is offline  
post #1947 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You can test it by setting motion to manual and see if you like it when set to 0, and see if you like it when set to 10. I have it set to 10 for 1080i50 content, because some channels on my cable tv are unwatchable otherwise, but that is just to blame to my cable tv supplier. Although my previous tv did not display this errors, so it's a combination.

I even believe the problem was not there in previous firmwares to 1165. I have read some people download older versions, but where? And how to contact Samsung about this?
TonyFeestneus is offline  
post #1948 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We have the ku6000 (w/c has no bluetooth). Anyone using, and can recommend a tranceiver I can use with bluetooth headphones?
sherpa2525 is offline  
post #1949 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Member
 
jra2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Try turning film mode off and see if it still stutters. Worked for me on my cable box for 1080i content.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jra2k1 is offline  
post #1950 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ghosting, smearing in games

The ghosting or smearing and trailing effect is more present in games with dark scenes like the witcher 3 at night or metal gear solid v. You can see it also when connecting to a pc and browsing the internet. Not sure if it is a faulty display or if the whole ku6xxx line up suffer from it. I`ve looked all over the internet and found few videos but no solution. I had to increase the brightness of the tv to 55 and put hdmi black level on normal to minimize the effect. I have the ku6179 which is the curved european version equal to the ku6500. Btw this is the 2nd display that has it.
ogow89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off