**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1951 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you had to pick between the 55" 6290 and the 55" Hisense H8C (which costs $50 less) which would you choose? This would be for non-gaming uses, and I don't care about the operating systems-this is strictly based on picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2409 Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugarci View Post
The majority of stuff I watch is on Fios HD channels & the quality to my eyes is first rate. But maybe I'm not as picky as others. Also no issues watching Football or Baseball on this TV. Although no Hockey watching experience with this TV yet since the season has not started. Hockey is my favorite sport.

Hey I was wondering how your experience has been with your set and watching hockey in terms of motion blur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1953 of 2409 Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique0107 View Post
If you had to pick between the 55" 6290 and the 55" Hisense H8C (which costs $50 less) which would you choose? This would be for non-gaming uses, and I don't care about the operating systems-this is strictly based on picture quality.
I've seen them both side-by-side at Costco and they look almost identical. In theory, the H8C should be better due to the FALD and more HDMI ports. However its software is worse (no-HDR support), and its viewing angles are worse by about 5 degrees.

I ended up skipping both 55s and going with the 60" 6270 for a little more.
jra2k1 and Enrique0107 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2409 Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
Try turning film mode off and see if it still stutters. Worked for me on my cable box for 1080i content.
Makes no difference for my content. Perhaps you had different settings between movie and other modes for the stutter/motion thingy
post #1955 of 2409 Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Just received firmware 1168.
unity2012 likes this.
post #1956 of 2409 Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
Hey I was wondering how your experience has been with your set and watching hockey in terms of motion blur.
Since my season basically ended in late December, my team sucks again (Devils), I don't recall experiencing any issues with motion while watching my team loose. However some people are more sensitive to motion than others. I keep all the motion setting OFF!

Best advice I can give you is to find the TV in a store & try to watch some sporting event. Only you can decide if motion is going to be an issue with this TV. For me it's not an issue.
Flightwhite likes this.
post #1957 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Just received firmware 1168.
Same. As per usual, choosing the option to view details just repeats what it just told you. Any changelog posted anywhere for these firmware updates?
post #1958 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Anyone own a Switch and know what color settings to use?

Thoroughly confused, on the TV do I leave UHD color mode on hdmi1 OFF since the console doesn't use HDR?

The switch menu has color range options for full, automatic, and limited. I've fooled around with different settings and sometimes it's darker/lighter but can't tell which one is best. I'm on KU6300.

Last edited by Astronaut21; 03-31-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #1959 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfisher View Post
I've seen them both side-by-side at Costco and they look almost identical. In theory, the H8C should be better due to the FALD and more HDMI ports. However its software is worse (no-HDR support), and its viewing angles are worse by about 5 degrees.

I ended up skipping both 55s and going with the 60" 6270 for a little more.
I bought the last H8C from Best Buy in the district, and when I got it home, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the picture looking good. Way oversaturated in "Standard" mode, oddly too yellow in "Movie", I returned it immediately and kept the 6290. Much more refined picture, even though I don't think it's a Samung panel.
post #1960 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So where can you manually download firmwares?
post #1961 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronaut21 View Post
Anyone own a Switch and know what color settings to use?

Thoroughly confused, on the TV do I leave UHD color mode on hdmi1 OFF since the console doesn't use HDR?

The switch menu has color range options for full, automatic, and limited. I've fooled around with different settings and sometimes it's darker/lighter but can't tell which one is best. I'm on KU6300.
If you are using the Full option in the Switch menu then choose Black Level: Normal for the set, Black Level: Low is for Limited Range on the Switch. Set UHD Color Mode to off unless you are using something with 4k60 w/ 4:4:4 Chroma or HDR.

For my Switch I use the Game Console Input label with Game Mode activated in the Special Viewing Options and Contrast|Brightness|Color set to defaults, turned Sharpness way down to 10 I think could be 15, Backlight at 10, Gamma at -1 and Color Temperature at Warm 2. All other advanced options turned off. I played around with the Color Space setting, and the Auto setting was a bit too dull for games, while the Native had the colors very oversaturated. Not sure how color accurate it is on my set in game mode, but the colors match the Switch screen itself fairly well using the 2-Point Color Balance calibration settings that Rtings.com released for the KU6300. Seems better than either Auto or Native at least.

For my [email protected] I use the PC Input label and pretty much default settings of that mode with all the extra processing features turned off. With backlight set to 9 in a fairly dim room they come fairly close to perfect for the Lagom.nl Black Level and White Saturation tests. The gamma tests on there aren't the most accurate, haven't found a combination of settings to get them closer to the 2.2 mark, sitting at a bit above 2.0 on the 10% scale.
Astronaut21 likes this.
post #1962 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
If you are using the Full option in the Switch menu then choose Black Level: Normal for the set, Black Level: Low is for Limited Range on the Switch. Set UHD Color Mode to off unless you are using something with 4k60 w/ 4:4:4 Chroma or HDR.

For my Switch I use the Game Console Input label with Game Mode activated in the Special Viewing Options and Contrast|Brightness|Color set to defaults, turned Sharpness way down to 10 I think could be 15, Backlight at 10, Gamma at -1 and Color Temperature at Warm 2. All other advanced options turned off. I played around with the Color Space setting, and the Auto setting was a bit too dull for games, while the Native had the colors very oversaturated. Not sure how color accurate it is on my set in game mode, but the colors match the Switch screen itself fairly well using the 2-Point Color Balance calibration settings that Rtings.com released for the KU6300. Seems better than either Auto or Native at least.

For my [email protected] I use the PC Input label and pretty much default settings of that mode with all the extra processing features turned off. With backlight set to 9 in a fairly dim room they come fairly close to perfect for the Lagom.nl Black Level and White Saturation tests. The gamma tests on there aren't the most accurate, haven't found a combination of settings to get them closer to the 2.2 mark, sitting at a bit above 2.0 on the 10% scale.
NeoandGeo: Thanks that helps. I turned UHD color mode off, and set hdmi black level to low. In the Switch menu I put the color mode on limited. Now the UI is the same dark grey the console shows when in handheld mode. Seems like before my settings were definitely off/washed out cause it was light grey.

Last edited by Astronaut21; 03-31-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #1963 of 2409 Old 03-31-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have any tv setting recommendations for MLB The Show 17? Thanks in advance

post #1964 of 2409 Old 04-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightwhite View Post
Anyone have any tv setting recommendations for MLB The Show 17? Thanks in advance

Just use game mode. That's what I do.

post #1965 of 2409 Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 AM

Agreed on Game Mode. Just remember the sharpness control is overly aggressive and set too high and other minor adjustments are needed so as not to destroy the IQ of the already sharp HD output. Sharpness set to 10-15 in Game Mode can help the soft look of upscaled 1080p material.

Default PC mode with the right RGB settings also works well with the PS4 while getting close to the low input lag of Game Mode.
post #1966 of 2409 Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
I recently got the UN65KU649DFXZA (so I think this is the right forum; it is the same TV I believe just with no bluetooth feature and purchased from Costco).

Having so many problems with stuttering (is that the same as juddering, I think so). I tried many Auto Motion Plus options but I think I need to set it to "Off", correct? I thought I tried many settings there including Off and different Customs, without much relief. I will try again tonight.

Color and all is nice on the TV but I just can't seem to get it to capture motion properly (not even talking about sports or fast motion just regular programming).

I already have it mounted and don't want to return as I think there are settings that can help. Anyone be my savior here?

EDIT - My wife uses this TV more and says it looks like a soap opera (she is not familiar with the "soap opera effect" terminology so interesting she described it that way).

However, what really bother me is the juddering, where it does not refresh right and skips ahead. I think soap opera effect and judder are opposite extremes? If you correct for one, you have to deal with the other??? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, it feels like I am doomed with this TV.

Fortunately, my main viewing is on a 60" Plasma which I have no issue with soap opera effect or juddering but I really want to get this other TV working right. It is very distracting.
set auto motion plus to custom
judder reduction to 4 (3-5 over 5 = soap opera)

turn on led clear motion as a next step
post #1967 of 2409 Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique0107 View Post
definitely 6290, but if you can find a 7000 for 100 more get the 7000 that has wide color gamut

hisense mediocre all around? looks like, bad smart OS
http://www.pcmag.com/review/345637/hisense-50h8c
post #1968 of 2409 Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Samsung TV Netflix Issues

Are you guys experiencing any Netflix issues?

My KU6300 usually connects to Netflix with no issues but the streaming performance is horrible. I have HD enable in Netflix but I can't hardly watch anything in HD due to buffering issues with the app. In fact I no longer use the app for Netflix since my XBOX One & my Sony Blue Ray player both connected to this TV stream Netflix in HD with no buffering issues!

According to the Samsung forum many Samsung TV owners are having problems with Netflix. Here's the thread 29 pages long. I came across it recently trying to figure out why I can't watch Netflix in HD with the Samsung Netflix app.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Netflix-not-working-on-Samsung-Smart-TV/td-p/6796

I have tried all the suggestions on this thread to fix the performance & the only thing that works 100% is to use another device to stream Netflix.

Also on the plus side after reading those threads I hoping the screen on my KU6300 doesn't melt. Think I'm kidding here's the thread.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...-LED/td-p/5436

And don't let the tag SOLVED on these threads fool you. Nothing has been solved! Except for Samsung spreading misinformation on these issues.
post #1969 of 2409 Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:

My KU6300 usually connects to Netflix with no issues but the streaming performance is horrible. I have HD enable in Netflix but I can't hardly watch anything in HD due to buffering issues with the app. In fact I no longer use the app for Netflix since my XBOX One & my Sony Blue Ray player both connected to this TV stream Netflix in HD with no buffering issues!

According to the Samsung forum many Samsung TV owners are having problems with Netflix. Here's the thread 29 pages long. I came across it recently trying to figure out why I can't watch Netflix in HD with the Samsung Netflix app.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/Netflix-not-working-on-Samsung-Smart-TV/td-p/6796

I have tried all the suggestions on this thread to fix the performance & the only thing that works 100% is to use another device to stream Netflix.

Also on the plus side after reading those threads I hoping the screen on my KU6300 doesn't melt. Think I'm kidding here's the thread.

And don't let the tag SOLVED on these threads fool you. Nothing has been solved! Except for Samsung spreading misinformation on these issues.

It's mainly streamed fine for me. On occasion it will stream at lower resolution but not often. I'm in BC Canada on the west coast here. I use Netflix quite often. I had issues with the Netflix app and my Telus Optik Tv box where it would play at 480p and I would need to use my PS4 or Apple TV. My TV is the KU6500 which is like the KU6300 but with a curve.

King Richard likes this.
post #1970 of 2409 Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
I recently got the UN65KU649DFXZA (so I think this is the right forum; it is the same TV I believe just with no bluetooth feature and purchased from Costco).

Having so many problems with stuttering (is that the same as juddering, I think so). I tried many Auto Motion Plus options but I think I need to set it to "Off", correct? I thought I tried many settings there including Off and different Customs, without much relief. I will try again tonight.

Color and all is nice on the TV but I just can't seem to get it to capture motion properly (not even talking about sports or fast motion just regular programming).

I already have it mounted and don't want to return as I think there are settings that can help. Anyone be my savior here?

EDIT - My wife uses this TV more and says it looks like a soap opera (she is not familiar with the "soap opera effect" terminology so interesting she described it that way).

However, what really bother me is the juddering, where it does not refresh right and skips ahead. I think soap opera effect and judder are opposite extremes? If you correct for one, you have to deal with the other??? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, it feels like I am doomed with this TV.

Fortunately, my main viewing is on a 60" Plasma which I have no issue with soap opera effect or juddering but I really want to get this other TV working right. It is very distracting.
I just bought a UN65KU650DF (Sam's). I use it primarily for OTA reception through a TiVo Bolt (4K upscaling). I am not real experienced with the new 4K TVs, but I instantly recognized these complaints, so I thought I would share.

I watch a mix of stuff from the Bolt, including plenty of old 4:3 TV shows. The first couple of days I had this TV, I was regularly bothered by motion "issues". Although I wasn't really keeping track of individual programs or scenes that had the problems, there was seemingly some judder or stutter or something on just about any program type. I have no clue what specific symptoms are for the terms "judder", "stutter" or "Motion Blur, but I was seeing plenty of things that just were not SMOOTH motion for brief scenes, and I did NOT like it. Unfortunately, I could not be sure if this was a TV issue, or a problem embedded in the recorded programs. I finally isolated a specific scene from an old TV show where the guy was turning in a doorway and his body seemed to jerk somewhat during the turn. This allowed me to compare the same scene on this new TV and my other HDTVs, and confirmed that it was specific to the new Samsung only.

I played with many of the internal settings, including custom motion settings (factory default motion setting was "Auto"), with no help at all. The key for me was when I finally just turned the motion settings OFF. Total solution so far! Absolutely no more judder, stutter or jerk in any program source we have watched for several days. I am sure I have so much more to learn about this new technology, but thank gawd I found out how to turn this terrible feature OFF!

Now, one more comment specific to the curved screen of my TV (not motion related): I wish we had bought a flat screen and NOT the curved one! I have not seen this discussed yet in my limited research, but in certain specific viewing settings, the curved screen works just like a dentist's light to focus reflected room light directly back into your eyes!! What we have found is that the curved screen is BAD when there are any lights on directly above or behind the viewer in a straight line to the center of the screen.

We have theater seating directly in front of this TV and about 15' back. We also have a sofa light directly behind these seats with the light heads hoovering several feet above these seats, and then our kitchen further straight back has lights on the ceiling about 15' high. When the sofa light is on, there is a bright line of light directly through the entire center of the screen from left to right. When the high kitchen lights are on, this reflected line of light is up near the top of the screen, which is not near as irritating, but still not good. Flat screen TVs in the same location have never had any reflection problems at all - just this new curved one. The problem goes away when moving the viewing angle any amount at all from dead center, but with a curved screen dead center IS THE PREFERRED LOCATION! So beware - avoid the curved screen if you will be sitting directly centered on the screen and have any lights in the room above or behind you in the same line of sight.
mborland, King Richard and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by V7Goose; 04-10-2017 at 09:27 AM.
post #1971 of 2409 Old 04-10-2017, 09:29 AM

Yeah, any motion settings enabled will only hinder IQ in all use cases, imo. Fortunately the only devices I use are 30 or 60fps and motion clarity, while not on the level of my Panasonic Plasma, is decent enough for an LCD set.
post #1972 of 2409 Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hey folks, wondering if anyone else is having the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi issue?

I have a Ku6500 65" in the bedroom. I use it primarily at night, with bluetooth headphones while my wife sleeps. Every time I connect bluetooth to the headphones, it kills the Wi-Fi. I have to soft-reset the TV (hold down power on remote until full reboot with Smart TV logo) and then connect the bluetooth immediately before the Wi-Fi antennae turns on. Then it will work... so EVERY night I have to reboot the TV and do this. It's annoying.

Why does the bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my $700 Samsung phone work flawlessly, but the $1500 TV doesn't? I keep hoping a new firmware will fix this issue, but it doesn't. I'm on 1168 like everyone else, and the issue persists...

Anyone else having this issue? I purchased from Costco so I have a 4 year warranty through them. I may be returning this set if a newer model comes along with WCG and no BT/Wi-Fi issues.
post #1973 of 2409 Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Look at the Samsung support forum & read about all the problems Samsung is having with Wi-Fi & other assorted issues. Here are 2 threads in reference to Wi-Fi issues. But like I said read some of other threads & see if you like the support they are giving these unhappy customers.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ion/td-p/88632
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/TV-UN55ES8000-Will-not-find-wireless-network/td-p/6427

post #1974 of 2409 Old 04-13-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Look at the Samsung support forum & read about all the problems Samsung is having with Wi-Fi & other assorted issues. Here are 2 threads in reference to Wi-Fi issues. But like I said read some of other threads & see if you like the support they are giving these unhappy customers.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ion/td-p/88632
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/TV-UN55ES8000-Will-not-find-wireless-network/td-p/6427

Yeah, it's pretty sad the level of "support" provided by Samsung. Which is why I purchase via Costco and get the 4 year warranty.
post #1975 of 2409 Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM

The WiFi performance on my KU6300 is so bad I no longer use it for streaming. If I want to stream in HD I use my XBOX One of my $100 dollar Sony Blue Ray player. Both are connected to this TV & both are capable of streaming in HD with no buffering issues. My so called Samsung Smart TV can't.
post #1976 of 2409 Old 04-14-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Same issue. My home wireless has MORE than enough power to stream whatever I want, but the Netflix app on my 55" will not crack the 20 Mbps mark. Netflix recommends or requires a 25 Mbps speed in order to stream 4K, so I'm paying for that tier but not getting the benefits. I have an AppleTV attached as well, but that's not able to do 4K. (yet)

Sad, but I'm glad to know it's not just my issue.
post #1977 of 2409 Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Hardwire your TV for Better Streaming Performance

If you don't have any other options for streaming hard wire the TV to Net. If your router is not near the TV all you need is an outlet, a Power Line Adapter or Wireless Extender & one Ethernet cable.
mborland likes this.

Last edited by gugarci; 04-14-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #1978 of 2409 Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys first post here at avs. I just bought the 40ku6400 model from very and have a couple of questions. I have read allover this thread about juddering and backlight issues is this a genuine proplem with build quality and effects all sets or just look of the draw. Finally there have been a few firmware updates have they genuinely added stability or made things worse. This will be my first 4k tv moving of from a 32 full hd samsung have i bought a dudd or is it value for money.
post #1979 of 2409 Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM

Liked: 3
Horizontal Banding?

Hi All,

Have any of you notices horizontal banding, that's most prevalent in darker scenes?

When I first got this TV, and initially calibrated it to my liking, I did not notice any banding. And it's exactly the kind of thing my eyes are drawn to, so it's not likely I missed it. So, either a firmware update introduced the issue or this TV is already developing problems.

Has anyone else seen this?

Is it possible that a firmware update helps, or can I assume it's time to replace this thing already?
post #1980 of 2409 Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 669
I have some minor vertical banding in lower left corner when screen is mostly darker and ther is some lighter text say mid-left screen. Since this is a casual viewing TV i don't mind it, but would not use this as my main TV.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page