**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 388Likes

post #1981 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all. Picked up the 49" 6500 at BB last night. Are there settings that seem to be the general consensus on here? All I have connected so far is a 4k tivo box, Arris DCX900 ( http://imgur.com/gallery/S293k) through my cable company.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seems like I will avoid this TV set.
Ghosting, no 24p playback = judder, poor motion handling.

Even on 1080p scenes there is moving object trails (doubling).
Tried in TV shop to play [email protected] football footage = got even more doubling, field side panel text is just awful. No blur at all.

50FPS videos works fine, but where I live there is not much HD channels, mostly SD.
post #1983 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
**OFFICIAL** Entry Level 2016 Samsung 4K UHD KU6300/6500/6600 Series TV Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempUser_ View Post
Seems like I will avoid this TV set.

Ghosting, no 24p playback = judder, poor motion handling.

Even on 1080p scenes there is moving object trails (doubling).

Tried in TV shop to play [email protected] football footage = got even more doubling, field side panel text is just awful. No blur at all.

50FPS videos works fine, but where I live there is not much HD channels, mostly SD.

Geez that's terrible. The only motion blur I notice is with hockey but part of the issue is the game is at 720p which is then upscaled to 1080i with my Optik Telus box and doesn't look so good. It's not bad but not great. I'm looking forward to 4k 60p hockey .I've watched 60fps YouTube snow board videos at 4k on this tv and it looks phenomenal! No ghosting on that that I can see. I've turned the motion settings completely off now except when I watch a feature film where I put it at a custom setting of 1 or 2.

Edit: Also it depends too on how close you sit to your tv and the content/ source you look at to notice the motion blur as well as how sensitive you are to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dargent0628 and Lp85253 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
i don't know about gaming .. but for sports this tv doesn't suck .. i can see the 24p issue being a sticking point but i don't think it's unwatchable...his source content must suck..
post #1985 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post
Hello all. Picked up the 49" 6500 at BB last night. Are there settings that seem to be the general consensus on here? All I have connected so far is a 4k tivo box, Arris DCX900 ( http://imgur.com/gallery/S293k) through my cable company.

Thanks,
It's a good TV not a great TV. I don't have any issues with judder & I keep all those setting off. I'd be more concerned about buying any Samsung product concerning the great support Samsung gives it's customers.
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/bd-p/tv

Having said that regardless of which model/brand you buy keep in mind all of these modern TV's are disposable. So don't don't go broke buying a higher end TV unless you can easily afford it & think it's going to be built better than a lower end model. If you buy one that lasts more than 5 years considered yourself lucky!
HowieDoin and Lp85253 like this.
post #1986 of 2409 Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugarci View Post
It's a good TV not a great TV. I don't have any issues with judder & I keep all those setting off. I'd be more concerned about buying any Samsung product concerning the great support Samsung gives it's customers.

Having said that regardless of which model/brand you buy keep in mind all of these modern TV's are disposable. So don't don't go broke buying a higher end TV unless you can easily afford it & think it's going to be built better than a lower end model. If you buy one that lasts more than 5 years considered yourself lucky!
Yep ... inconsistent qc and customer service worry me.... that old capacitor issue comes to mind...
HowieDoin and gugarci like this.
post #1987 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugarci View Post

Thanks very much for your input. Turned it on this AM and no matter what I did, it wouldnt connect to WIFI, it finally did after numerous resets and reboots. I think Im going to return this set, not at all happy with how the hockey playoffs look on this. Messed around with the settings with the help of numerous guides etc, but it just isnt doing it for me. The Sony XBR55X700D went on sale today at my local BB, so I might go check that out.

thanks again!
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1988 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post
Thanks very much for your input. Turned it on this AM and no matter what I did, it wouldnt connect to WIFI, it finally did after numerous resets and reboots. I think Im going to return this set, not at all happy with how the hockey playoffs look on this. Messed around with the settings with the help of numerous guides etc, but it just isnt doing it for me. The Sony XBR55X700D went on sale today at my local BB, so I might go check that out.

thanks again!
Sorry to hear that. The WI-Fi poor connectivity issue is an issue affecting many Samsung users including myself. See their official support forum.
Many people are having all kinds of connectivity issues on all models, high end/low end.

As far as the motion is concern I'm watching the Hockey playoff & I have no issues with the motion & I keep all the motion settings off. I also do a lot of gaming on this TV & have no issues there. Since some people are more sensitivity to motion If you can't adjusted to your liking return it & buy a TV with a native 120Hz panel.
HowieDoin and Lp85253 like this.
post #1989 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
For using this as a PC monitor, should I be using it at 4096x2160 or 3840x2160? Windows says 3840 is recommended, but it looks blurry when I use it. Whats' the native resolution of this panel?

Thanks!
post #1990 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiahXgaming View Post
For using this as a PC monitor, should I be using it at 4096x2160 or 3840x2160? Windows says 3840 is recommended, but it looks blurry when I use it. Whats' the native resolution of this panel?

Thanks!
try it both ways and choose your favorite..
post #1991 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
try it both ways and choose your favorite..
That doesn't make any sense, it's going to look best if it's not squished or stretched. For all the technical information here on getting the next possible picture, I feel sure there's a correct answer to my questions. Thanks tho.
post #1992 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense, it's going to look best if it's not squished or stretched. For all the technical information here on getting the next possible picture, I feel sure there's a correct answer to my questions. Thanks tho.
3840x2160
post #1993 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
3840x2160
IS that the native resolution then? Any idea why my text looks fuzzy compared to 4096? Thanks!
post #1994 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
IS that the native resolution then? Any idea why my text looks fuzzy compared to 4096? Thanks!
Yes, native.
PC settings? Are you using pc mode on the tv?
post #1995 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Yea, the TV does that automatically on HDMI 1. I don't know what's going on.
post #1996 of 2409 Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 PM

The Sony XBR55X700D is far superior. Picked it up at BB on sale this week in Canada, and out of the box I had a better picture. Didnt like the hockey score result, but it was a great picture. I'll post my settings for hockey fans in another thread.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1997 of 2409 Old 04-23-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first post here... very informative thread.

Just bought a new 55" ku6290. Very happy with it overall... I got a good price on it, perfect size, great for gaming, and a big improvement over my old 2009 46" Samsung.

One issue that has been popping up is with sound... I have an LG SH3 2.1 Sound bar. It's connected to the TV via optical and has a wireless Bluetooth subwoofer.

I've noticed when watching streaming apps on the TVs native apps I seem to get occasional unpredictable 1 second sound cutouts. I noticed it in Google Play video, Amazon Video, and CraveTV (Canadian).

I have also had it on my OTR TV but it is hard to blame that on the TV since my signal is not great and I had momentary drops on the old TV.

I haven't noticed it while using my PS4 Pro (HDMI 1) but I haven't been using it much yet. I did have it happen while using my Nvidia Shield (HDMI 2).

I used the same soundbar on my old TV and never had total sound drops. I did have the subwoofer drop sometimes (Bluetooth issue) but the actual speakers never dropped.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this or has anyone else had the issue?

For most of the drops the sound was set to Dolby Digital. I switched it to PCM and I haven't noticed it as many times (once on OTR TV but could have been a signal issue).

I'm really hoping this isn't an issue with the TV or the optical port since this thing was a major pain to get in and out of my car.
post #1998 of 2409 Old 04-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Another question...

I am not an expert or an audiophile, but since my soundbar is only a 2.1, is there any reason to set the TV output to Dolby Digital in the first place? From my understanding my sound bar is only 2 channel stereo regardless.

When I put it in PCM it SEEMS to actually sound better on the OTR channels and Amazon Video... am I insane? It sounds a bit flatter when set at Dolby Digital. Should there be a difference?
post #1999 of 2409 Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes it probably is a settings issue.... pcm is more reliable with lots of older soundbars....you may get delayed volume also,where the sounbar is late coming on when you change source....it's normal, if you can call that normal. ..
post #2000 of 2409 Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
crazyp,

I had all kinds of problems with sound dropping out using DD, and HDMI with ARC. These were resolved a few updates ago. I would not expect you to have the same problems using TOSLINK optical. In your case I would switch to PCM since I don't think there is any benefit to using DD with a 2.1 soundbar.

PCM eliminated any problems for me, but I wanted to use DD to get the rear speakers working with a 3.1 soundbar + wireless rear speakers. I'm very sensitive to it now, and I still get the occasional audio drop but only when watching live sports, so I'm sure it's a broadcast issue.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2001 of 2409 Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded!

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

I added a lot of extra material to most of the sections - including additional info and lots more images and illustrations. I also added 2 brand new sections to it and made a few changes and improvements to some of the previous material.

I also took this opportunity to correct a few small mistakes that were bothering me and do a bit of reformatting. (Hey, I happen to be a perfectionist, with perhaps a little bit of OCD thrown-in for good measure. In fact, you will notice that a lot of my posts on the Forum often have a "Last edited by" footnote at the bottom of them - many of those "edits" are often only to correct a small spelling mistake or something stupid like that. )

Additionally, I decided to take the advice of my friend @mrtickleuk and change the print size of my "Notes" (except for the very first one), which were too small and hard for some to read (they looked fine in the browser I was using, but viewing them in a different browser I noticed they were indeed quite small). I instead used a different "Font" to make them stand out.

I am planning to start working on "Part 2" of my article hopefully this coming weekend (which will be the 2nd Post of my Color Volume Thread that I currently have marked as "Reserved!"). I plan to have it finished sometime next week if all goes well.

So stay tuned!

P.S. I apologize for the long post. Sorry!

[Click the LINK below to go to the article.]

>What is Color Volume?<

Thank you for reading!

Richard
post #2002 of 2409 Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidtv123 View Post
crazyp,

I had all kinds of problems with sound dropping out using DD, and HDMI with ARC. These were resolved a few updates ago. I would not expect you to have the same problems using TOSLINK optical. In your case I would switch to PCM since I don't think there is any benefit to using DD with a 2.1 soundbar.

PCM eliminated any problems for me, but I wanted to use DD to get the rear speakers working with a 3.1 soundbar + wireless rear speakers. I'm very sensitive to it now, and I still get the occasional audio drop but only when watching live sports, so I'm sure it's a broadcast issue.

Thanks for the info...

I've been fooling around with it a bit more and the drop definitely occurs on pretty much all applications from the TV (Netflix, Crave, Amazon, Google Play and live OTR TV) when it is set to output on Dolby Digital.

I haven't used PCM as much but so far haven't noticed a drop when it is on PCM.

As for the DD vs PCM... it seems to depend on what I am watching... some things sound about the same. Others sound a little better on DD.

I am updated to the latest software... I was thinking about maybe replacing my optical cable just in case (its cheap either way) but it would be nice to have DD available without any problems.
post #2003 of 2409 Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2k1 View Post
Geez that's terrible. The only motion blur I notice is with hockey but part of the issue is the game is at 720p which is then upscaled to 1080i with my Optik Telus box and doesn't look so good. It's not bad but not great. I'm looking forward to 4k 60p hockey .I've watched 60fps YouTube snow board videos at 4k on this tv and it looks phenomenal! No ghosting on that that I can see. I've turned the motion settings completely off now except when I watch a feature film where I put it at a custom setting of 1 or 2.

Edit: Also it depends too on how close you sit to your tv and the content/ source you look at to notice the motion blur as well as how sensitive you are to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playing 720P at 1080i by definition drops frames.. no display can prevent. The frames are gone before the TV gets it.
jra2k1 likes this.
post #2004 of 2409 Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Hey guys, is anyone using the 6300 in the pc mode and using hdr for gaming? Colors in this mode looks very very strange for me. Hdr is not possible in this mode? Sorry for my english, im brazillian.
post #2005 of 2409 Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Blooming

I picked up a refurb KU6290. It looks like I'm getting alot of blooming in the lower left corner.

Anything I can do to reduce it, or should I just return it and try another one?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ku6300_blooming.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2105105  
post #2006 of 2409 Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan999 View Post
I picked up a refurb KU6290. It looks like I'm getting alot of blooming in the lower left corner.
Anything I can do to reduce it, or should I just return it and try another one?

Thanks!
Return it ... that is unusual
post #2007 of 2409 Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got a 55" KU6300 at walmart. I like the default settings but is there a universally accepted settings that looks great on this tv. Using it in the bedroom, so viewing distance is less than 5 ft and room is dim to dark.
post #2008 of 2409 Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
Got a 55" KU6300 at walmart. I like the default settings but is there a universally accepted settings that looks great on this tv. Using it in the bedroom, so viewing distance is less than 5 ft and room is dim to dark.
No such thing as a universally accepted settings for any TV since some people don't like Movie mode which is the best starting point for calibration. I use the Rtings settings slightly tweaked for my taste.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...u6300/settings

These are the setting I've been mainly using since buying this TV.
Fit to Screen On
BackLight 8
Brightness 45
Contrast 95
Color 50
Sharpness 0
Color Tone Warm 2
Auto Motion OFF
Dynamic Contrast Low, I usually keep all of these setting off but I really like low better than medium.
Color Space Auto

Also check out this link below from King Richard.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post39776650

Regardless it's your TV so adjust the picture to your liking unless you happen to like the settings someone else is using.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by gugarci; 05-01-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #2009 of 2409 Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
lowering to 30 ruins the greens, i have tried for days to get the color right on this tv and i just dont think this tv is for me. it has too much red in it and i cant seem to fix it. skin tones look unnatural, hands. lips, knees and ears are pink and i cant stand it. Samsung over saturates colors and i am just not a fan of that, it looks so unnatural.
download the test patters provides by this forum, then open the blinking color bars, change Tv in RGB only to Blue only. being there, adjust hue so that all bars look the same. switch to the xbox and check if looks better.

regards.
post #2010 of 2409 Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've got the 60" 6300 and the wifi was a mess when I got it. I've got a high-end router that reaches easily to 3 floors in a large house and I can test the wifi at the TV with a laptop, phone or tablet and get excellent speeds (60-100Mb/s). Switching to the TV, I was struggled many times to get 20Mb/s. Even wired the TV barely gets 60Mb/s which is odd. Even if they're using a 100Mb NIC (which in 2016/2017) is nuts, they should be able to max the connection. Don't have Ethernet through the house so this test was just done with a very long cable. I ended up adding a wired access point (Unify AC) and all the issues went away. Never have any streaming issues with YouTube, Netflix or Amazon. Can easily stream 4K. Still not getting as much throughput as with my other devices but the TV is at least getting over 50-60Mb/s now. Samsung should consider adding an external wifi antenna as an option as that may solve some of these issues or investing another $20 into the parts and getting a good wifi adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page