**Official** Sony 2016 XBR-43X800D / X800D Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 263Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 1484 Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimo View Post
I use expert 1. Shouldn't be any difference there between 1 and 2, from what I understand, it just memorizes your advanced settings in each one, I believe.

HCFR supports the SMPTE 2084 HDR EOTF, and can be measured up to 1k nits with i1Display Pro. As far as test patterns, I think you need a pattern generator that sends metadata to the TV that triggers HDR mode. Then you could calibrate the EOTF.

No CMS on this display so we are stuck as is with colors.
Thank you for that information. While I have the professional skills to calibrate, I don't have all the resources, or know how the newer TV s handle settings. My last two tVs I calibrated were from 2010 one was a 32" TV (Sony) but was 1080 and CCFL backlight, not LED. The Other was my Plasma I use as a reference display to help clean up LCD pictures when looking at live Video. I'm looking forward to the perfection of OLED or some form of display that produces it's own light. Backlights always screw up colors somewhat and LCDs screw things up with viewing angles. When I finished my training in broadcast, which was 2010 the station where I was at was just officially making the transition to digital and HD from analog, so analog video is what I know best, and digital stuff I've had to keep up with on my own. I try to use these forums as help but it's hit or miss finding people who actually work or have worked professionally with Video.

What bugs me most about most TV marketing and what consumers are taught is popping oversaturated color is good and I really hate that because it's teaching people to appreciate what's not natural . Anyway thanks for the reply, I'll do some digging.

P.S. Like I've posted above a few times I find a brightness setting of 35 and a color setting of 40 gives a good balanced picture that's bright and vivid but not over saturated. The expert 1 setting seems to be pretty well balanced out of the box too according to the patterns I've thrown up there, and the familiar live sources of content I watch.
MacinMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 1484 Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsydeon View Post
For those that are using the 43" as a PC monitor, would you mind posting your settings? I've spent the past 3 days trying to calibrate mine as a PC monitor primarily, and I just can't seem to get this screen's brightness level to a comfortable point, without ruining the picture quality. I already have my brightness set to minimum, and while I'd like to have a contrast of 75 or higher, I find it just retina burning on white screens. Ideally I'd need the contrast at 50 or less, but then everything seems too dark and washed out. It looks great on brighter settings if I'm watching videos or gaming,but it just kills my eyes when it comes to reading and web browsing.
I'm in a room with very little outside light. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking it for PC and I believe I'm set. It's bright enough to have the colours and image pop, but not enough to burn my pupils with brightness.

Pic mode: Graphics (Rtings recommended this)
Brightness: 10
Contrast 45
gamma:2
black level 52
Black adjust - low, adv contrast enchancer off
color: 40
color temp: warm
sharpness: 53
everything else off
hdr mode auto
hdmi video auto
and color BT2020.
KingBear is offline  
post #693 of 1484 Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wish I could show you guys just how good I got the image on my 43" X800d. It took some time to get it to where it is right now and I might do a bit more tweaking but I do believe I am just about set. It's not even funny just how impressive the picture is on this TV.

The image literally jumps right from the screen. I love colour that pops, I don't like dull colours. I just dont understand when some people say that they don't want colours to pop. If you don't like vibrant colours, then why bother buying such a good quality set? Might as well buy a POS Magnasonic or Skeptical tv for 1/10th the price.

Any one can try it out. I have my TV in a dim room with closed blinds so no sunlight comes in. But often have good lightning in the room.
These are the settings I use for UHD bluray, PS4 Pro and TV (tv I have 5 points less colour though).

Mode: Game for PS4 / UHD bluray and Custom for cable
Brightness: 20
Contrast: max (the whites are amazing on this TV, you need to run it on max. I tried quite a bit of experimenting with 90 and 95 and it just wasn't as nice.
gamma: 0
black level: 50
Black adjust - med
adv contrast enchancer - off
color: 52
color temp: warm
sharpness: 65 (anything below and its too soft, usually I run my TVs are 50 sharpness so i'm shocked i can run this at 65 before it starts to mask)
hdr mode - auto
hdmi video - auto
and color space - BT2020.
Live colour - low (usually im not a fan of this setting on tvs, but on this set you can actually manage to run it on low without having over saturated colours. This makes the colours that much more vibrant and pop even more with this on low). As long as you tweak the 10pt setting menu for advanced colour temps you will NOT get over saturated colours.
motion flow - custom
smoothness - 3
clearness - 0

Last edited by KingBear; 11-30-2016 at 11:21 PM.
KingBear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBear View Post
I wish I could show you guys just how good I got the image on my 43" X800d. It took some time to get it to where it is right now and I might do a bit more tweaking but I do believe I am just about set. It's not even funny just how impressive the picture is on this TV.

The image literally jumps right from the screen. I love colour that pops, I don't like dull colours. I just dont understand when some people say that they don't want colours to pop. If you don't like vibrant colours, then why bother buying such a good quality set? Might as well buy a POS Magnasonic or Skeptical tv for 1/10th the price.

Any one can try it out. I have my TV in a dim room with closed blinds so no sunlight comes in. But often have good lightning in the room.
These are the settings I use for UHD bluray, PS4 Pro and TV (tv I have 5 points less colour though).

Mode: Game for PS4 / UHD bluray and Custom for cable
Brightness: 20
Contrast: max (the whites are amazing on this TV, you need to run it on max. I tried quite a bit of experimenting with 90 and 95 and it just wasn't as nice.
gamma: 0
black level: 50
Black adjust - med
adv contrast enchancer - off
color: 52
color temp: warm
sharpness: 65 (anything below and its too soft, usually I run my TVs are 50 sharpness so i'm shocked i can run this at 65 before it starts to mask)
hdr mode - auto
hdmi video - auto
and color space - BT2020.
Live colour - low (usually im not a fan of this setting on tvs, but on this set you can actually manage to run it on low without having over saturated colours. This makes the colours that much more vibrant and pop even more with this on low). As long as you tweak the 10pt setting menu for advanced colour temps you will NOT get over saturated colours.
motion flow - custom
smoothness - 3
clearness - 0
@KingBear I can't speak for everyone here of course when it comes to bright and popping colors vs dull. However for me, I wanted to really give a little prospective from where I come from in what I say. First of all I have a visual impairment that at times makes me extra sensitive to overly bright light. So to say I don't like full deep rich color is incorrect. I just don't like overly saturated color. I also like to look at things on TV and see them the way I would with my naked eye and sometimes I feel like the current TVS over exaggerate things and make them look fake. I will try your settings and compare them to what I've come up with on my own to see which is better in my environment . Thanks for sharing!

One other thing I usually don't go out in the middle of the day when the sun is fully up at times it's too bright and wearing sunglasses dis colors things. I try to go out when the sun is just coming up or earlier in the morning when not so bright or even in the evening. So between the professional video training I've had an my sensitivity to brightness. I hope this helps people to understand better why I can be so picky when out comes to displays

One more thing, I originally came to this thread with two specific questions no one has answered or even acknowledged yet

1. Can I reboot the android subsystem of the TV without unplugging it to give it a refresh
2. I it normal for only the ARC HDMI port to pass through audio signals causing only that port to register dolby digital on the sound bar vs the other inputs that do not, when the audio is connected to the optical out of the TV? thanks
MacinMan is offline  
post #695 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[crosspost fromsony-2016-entry-level-4k-hdr-displays-x700d-x750d-x800d-8 since I figured this would fit better in here]

Hey there, I got finally got my 55X800D (XD8005 in Germany) and while I'm really satisfied with the overall picture quality (mainly used for gaming and movies) I have several questions:

First off, I experience a border (around 3px wide) in pictures where the colors are bright. As an example I took a picture from the Witcher 3 on the PS4. You can see the bluish sky and the border which seems like a frame. Not sure if this a normal for edge lit TVs, so I ask.

Also, I attached a screenshot of the clouding of the TV. There are minor reflections from the room but you should get a good impression of it (I did set the brightness to MAX for this). Again, is there something unusual? I just want to make sure I get a good TV for the money.

Any help and comments appreciated


ht*p://i.imgur.com/ECZvLpW.jpg

ht*p://i.imgur.com/CWynvU2.jpg
LadiesMan76 is offline  
post #696 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan76 View Post
[crosspost fromsony-2016-entry-level-4k-hdr-displays-x700d-x750d-x800d-8 since I figured this would fit better in here]

Hey there, I got finally got my 55X800D (XD8005 in Germany) and while I'm really satisfied with the overall picture quality (mainly used for gaming and movies) I have several questions:

First off, I experience a border (around 3px wide) in pictures where the colors are bright. As an example I took a picture from the Witcher 3 on the PS4. You can see the bluish sky and the border which seems like a frame. Not sure if this a normal for edge lit TVs, so I ask.

Also, I attached a screenshot of the clouding of the TV. There are minor reflections from the room but you should get a good impression of it (I did set the brightness to MAX for this). Again, is there something unusual? I just want to make sure I get a good TV for the money.

Any help and comments appreciated


ht*p://i.imgur.com/ECZvLpW.jpg

ht*p://i.imgur.com/CWynvU2.jpg

Yea that's called backlight bleeding, I have almost the same thing as your first picture on my 49 inch X800D. You can try to have it repaired but if it doesn't bother you much then just ignore it. It's a pretty common issue.
SorryNotSorry is offline  
post #697 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luke M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
1. Can I reboot the android subsystem of the TV without unplugging it to give it a refresh
Press and hold the power button on the remote or on the TV. I haven't actually tried this myself, just looked it up:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...-an-android-tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
2. I it normal for only the ARC HDMI port to pass through audio signals causing only that port to register dolby digital on the sound bar vs the other inputs that do not, when the audio is connected to the optical out of the TV?
Don't know, but HDMI 2 & 3 ports are different - they are the only HDMI 2.0 ports. If you said it only works on 2 & 3, then it would make more sense (though it would still be strange!)
Luke M is offline  
post #698 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
Press and hold the power button on the remote or on the TV. I haven't actually tried this myself, just looked it up:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...-an-android-tv.



Don't know, but HDMI 2 & 3 ports are different - they are the only HDMI 2.0 ports. If you said it only works on 2 & 3, then it would make more sense (though it would still be strange!)
Thank you so much for answering my original questions! I usually look stuff up for myself but sometimes google isn't my friend and just gives me stuff unrelated to my search so I find it easier just to ask sometimes. Have a great day!
MacinMan is offline  
post #699 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finally got my set! Problem I'm having is that I can't seem to use [email protected] on my computer for some reason... or anything at 60hz at all.

I'm using a 290X, which I know isn't HDMI 2.0. But I'm using a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter (the Club 3D) so I should be having HDMI 2.0. Still, 60hz doesn't work for some weird reason. Maybe there is a setting that I should have changed somehwere?
prava is offline  
post #700 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone here using 49inch version as a monitor? I just wanted to know if it would be too big for a monitor. I don't play game that much. It just for coding and photo editing.
mikem71 is offline  
post #701 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem71 View Post
Anyone here using 49inch version as a monitor? I just wanted to know if it would be too big for a monitor. I don't play game that much. It just for coding and photo editing.
Using the 43" here as a monitor. To use the screen comfy I'd say you would have to be at least 80cm from the screen (on the 43", which is the one I have). The problem isn't not the screen, is the desktop. You need a very very deep desktop in order to be able to use the keyboard and not be close to the screen itself. But for monitor usage I'd say take the smallest possible.
prava is offline  
post #702 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Babel-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prava View Post
Finally got my set! Problem I'm having is that I can't seem to use [email protected] on my computer for some reason... or anything at 60hz at all.

I'm using a 290X, which I know isn't HDMI 2.0. But I'm using a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter (the Club 3D) so I should be having HDMI 2.0. Still, 60hz doesn't work for some weird reason. Maybe there is a setting that I should have changed somehwere?
Are you using the right HDMI connector (either number two or three)? And did you go into the Home menu - Settings - External Inputs - HDMI Signal Format, and enable Enhanced format?

That has to be done before you can do what you want in your control panel.
Babel-17 is offline  
post #703 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can anybody that has a ps4 controller test this out for me please?

I tried pairing it and it works but 10 secs after getting paired, the controller starts lagging really bad and it's unusable for anything. I was planning to use it on a couple emulators. Only way to not get any lag is by connecting with a wire but that defeats the purpose of ds4 pairing.
Crimson_Flam3s is offline  
post #704 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I received my 43" today, and am using it as a PC monitor.
Luckily next to the Sony are two 32" professionally calibrated monitors, so the eye can quickly discern any anomalies in color. I do color correcting in photo shop all day long, and color accuracy is really important.

I was successful getting perfect color in graphics mode and RGB FULL. Any YCB color format, makes the text look strange.
This is to say that this TV can reach perfect color.

The big problem I have are whites. In a totally white canvas in photo shop, the sides of the canvas are greyish. Gamma shift, when used as a monitor up close is pretty nasty.
I find the TV simply too large for a pc monitor. I am continuously moving my neck and head. Arching my neck to look up.

This tv has no input lag whatsoever. Game mode is ridiculously over saturated, and graphics mode is perfect for color in games.
I am comparing input lag with monitors that are 75hz, 90hz and 144hz.
This TV HAS NONE.

Blacks are good. Not as good as AMVA, but better than IPS blacks.

I will keep this tv a few more days before returning it, just to make sure I am not making a mistake in the settings.
quovadis123 is offline  
post #705 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I received my 43" today, and am using it as a PC monitor.
Luckily next to the Sony are two 32" professionally calibrated monitors, so the eye can quickly discern any anomalies in color. I do color correcting in photo shop all day long, and color accuracy is really important.

I was successful getting perfect color in graphics mode and RGB FULL. Any YCB color format, makes the text look strange.
This is to say that this TV can reach perfect color.

The big problem I have are whites. In a totally white canvas in photo shop, the sides of the canvas are greyish. Gamma shift, when used as a monitor up close is pretty nasty.
I find the TV simply too large for a pc monitor. I am continuously moving my neck and head. Arching my neck to look up.

This tv has no input lag whatsoever. Game mode is ridiculously over saturated, and graphics mode is perfect for color in games.
I am comparing input lag with monitors that are 75hz, 90hz and 144hz.
This TV HAS NONE.

Blacks are good. Not as good as AMVA, but better than IPS blacks.

I will keep this tv a few more days before returning it, just to make sure I am not making a mistake in the settings.
Do you have an nvidia card and you set it to full rgb?

Because on mine if I try to put rgb full, it only gives me the option of doing 8bpc but ycbcr422 lets me do 12 or 10 which I thin it's required to truly get hdr.
Crimson_Flam3s is offline  
post #706 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
All i know is that icon text which is supposed to be white in windows looked all murky with the YCB formats.
Let me try again.

Yes I have Geforce 1080
quovadis123 is offline  
post #707 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I received my 43" today, and am using it as a PC monitor.
Luckily next to the Sony are two 32" professionally calibrated monitors, so the eye can quickly discern any anomalies in color. I do color correcting in photo shop all day long, and color accuracy is really important.

I was successful getting perfect color in graphics mode and RGB FULL. Any YCB color format, makes the text look strange.
This is to say that this TV can reach perfect color.

The big problem I have are whites. In a totally white canvas in photo shop, the sides of the canvas are greyish. Gamma shift, when used as a monitor up close is pretty nasty.
I find the TV simply too large for a pc monitor. I am continuously moving my neck and head. Arching my neck to look up.

This tv has no input lag whatsoever. Game mode is ridiculously over saturated, and graphics mode is perfect for color in games.
I am comparing input lag with monitors that are 75hz, 90hz and 144hz.
This TV HAS NONE.

Blacks are good. Not as good as AMVA, but better than IPS blacks.

I will keep this tv a few more days before returning it, just to make sure I am not making a mistake in the settings.
Your right viewing angle is lacking. Sitting very close as a monitor, you are catching the edges at too much of an angle. You need to sit ~ 3 feet back to avoid this.

For second monitor, Graphics + Full RGB is perfect.

I calibrated game mode, and it was good with a few adjustments, less than 3% dE's for primary, secondary, and 25% step saturation sweeps. There is no CMS. Check my settings a few pages back, but realize while I do use as a second monitor, its for fun (gaming & some Netflix) only, not for work. I also use in a dark room, so adjust the backlight to whats appropriate for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Flam3s View Post
Do you have an nvidia card and you set it to full rgb?

Because on mine if I try to put rgb full, it only gives me the option of doing 8bpc but ycbcr422 lets me do 12 or 10 which I thin it's required to truly get hdr.
RGB should be full, YUV should be limited, all HDR content should be limited. And yes, 10 bits for HDR minimum if you want WCG and no banding...

Last edited by Rimo; 12-01-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Rimo is offline  
post #708 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I wonder why the Nvidia control panel sees the TV as native in 1920x1080?
It should see the tv as native 3840x2160
quovadis123 is offline  
post #709 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I wonder why the Nvidia control panel sees the TV as native in 1920x1080?
It should see the tv as native 3840x2160
This is a known bug. Solution is posted somewhere in this thread. I use switchResX, but I am on a Mac.
Rimo is offline  
post #710 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimo View Post
Your right viewing angle is lacking. Sitting very close as a monitor, you are catching the edges at too much of an angle. You need to sit ~ 3 feet back to avoid this.

For second monitor, Graphics + Full RGB is perfect.

I calibrated game mode, and it was good with a few adjustments, less than 3% dE's for primary, secondary, and 25% step saturation sweeps. There is no CMS. Check my settings a few pages back, but realize while I do use as a second monitor, its for fun (gaming & some Netflix) only, not for work. I also use in a dark room, so adjust the backlight to whats appropriate for you.



RGB should be full, YUV should be limited, all HDR content should be limited.
Rimo thank you
your settings have been used today in game mode, however I found these settings a bit too aggressive.
Apparently there is no difference in input lag between graphics and game
quovadis123 is offline  
post #711 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Rimo thank you
your settings have been used today in game mode, however I found these settings a bit too aggressive.
Apparently there is no difference in input lag between graphics and game
sure, no problem, but now I am curious as to what are you describing when you say 'aggressive'?

I guess I should mention that these settings are focused on YUV limited and not RGB full. I actually have a different calibration entirely for use with the iMac

EDIT: It can be better to steer away from graphics when gaming if you are gaming at a resolution other than the native resolution of the display. Graphics does a pixel perfect scale which can look a bit harsh, while game does something else, not sure exactly what, but the image is a bit more soft and pleasing.

Last edited by Rimo; 12-01-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Rimo is offline  
post #712 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
damn
the edge lighting is it's downfall when used as a pc monitor. Had this TV been FALD, we would not have uniformity issues.
I also tried a neutral gray back ground in Photoshop...a little bit to dirty for me.

However I have to say, that Sony are incredible on color. This TV must be incredible when used as a TV.
quovadis123 is offline  
post #713 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just tried on ycbr422 on 10 and 12 bit.
The text is all weird and black text contains color.
The blacks suddenly look grayish with these settings on.

My desktop is a solid pure black background, and I have noticed it's all washed out as soon as I used the ycb mode.
Any ideas?
quovadis123 is offline  
post #714 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Just tried on ycbr422 on 10 and 12 bit.
The text is all weird and black text contains color.
The blacks suddenly look grayish with these settings on.

My desktop is a solid pure black background, and I have noticed it's all washed out as soon as I used the ycb mode.
Any ideas?
Change your video range settings.
Rimo is offline  
post #715 of 1484 Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
quovadis123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm on this site
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=141

Trying to download an HDR clip.
Is it normal it will take 83 minutes?

I have a pretty large comcast connection (90)
quovadis123 is offline  
post #716 of 1484 Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Just tried on ycbr422 on 10 and 12 bit.
The text is all weird and black text contains color.
The blacks suddenly look grayish with these settings on.

My desktop is a solid pure black background, and I have noticed it's all washed out as soon as I used the ycb mode.
Any ideas?

You need to turn on this setting in order to see the RGB and ycbr444 options in the Nvidia control panel: Home -> Settings -> External Inputs -> HDMI signal format -> Enhance 4K signal. I wish this info could be stickied somewhere, because when I couldn't see those options myself, I wasted a lot of time trying all sorts of driver changes, and buying multiple HDMI 2.0 cables thinking they weren't true 2.0 cables. In the end it was all because this one setting wasn't turned on yet.
Elsydeon is offline  
post #717 of 1484 Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I received my 43" today, and am using it as a PC monitor.
Luckily next to the Sony are two 32" professionally calibrated monitors, so the eye can quickly discern any anomalies in color. I do color correcting in photo shop all day long, and color accuracy is really important.

I was successful getting perfect color in graphics mode and RGB FULL. Any YCB color format, makes the text look strange.
This is to say that this TV can reach perfect color.

The big problem I have are whites. In a totally white canvas in photo shop, the sides of the canvas are greyish. Gamma shift, when used as a monitor up close is pretty nasty.
I find the TV simply too large for a pc monitor. I am continuously moving my neck and head. Arching my neck to look up.

This tv has no input lag whatsoever. Game mode is ridiculously over saturated, and graphics mode is perfect for color in games.
I am comparing input lag with monitors that are 75hz, 90hz and 144hz.
This TV HAS NONE.

Blacks are good. Not as good as AMVA, but better than IPS blacks.

I will keep this tv a few more days before returning it, just to make sure I am not making a mistake in the settings.

I have the same problem as you with the sides looking grayish, and not consistent in brightness with the rest of the screen. I'm sitting about 3.5 feet back. It does get bothersome having to read text that extends all the way to those dark outer edges, alongside having to constantly turn my head. Sitting 6-8 feet back seems to help with the edges, but that's not realistic for mouse/keyboard usage.

The biggest problem for me continues to be the just how harshly bright this Sony seems to be. I've tried the various recommended settings (which I appreciate being posted), and I still find those settings fatiguing. Strangely enough, when I tried checking on how my previous Dell Ultrasharp U3011 looked as a reference, it was set quite a bit brighter than how I have this Sony set up. But the brightness was somehow a lot more natural feeling to my eyes, and doesn't cause the "needles in my eye" sensation the Sony gives me. Even if I set the Sony to an extremely dim setting (which makes the picture look disgusting), I still get that sensation, so I just don't understand what's causing it. I wonder if the screen is just simply too big, and having such a big panel of light, even if dimmed, is just too overwhelming.

The other issue I have is this Sony has a very noticeably blue tint to it, and decreasing that in turn makes it too red. My Dell had a natural warmth to the factory calibrated colors that I didn't have to touch, and that warmth is something I just can't seem to duplicate on the Sony. No matter what I try, the colors always seems to err on the blue, or red side. That's possibly another reason I'm getting fatigued by it, it just doesn't look properly warm.

I'm starting to think this Sony just isn't going to work out as a monitor...which is a huge disappointment, as I spent quite a bit upgrading around it (a PS4 Pro and Nvidia GTX 1070) in anticipation of moving up to 4K. Not to mention this was shipped out to me in Hawaii, so shipping this thing back is going to be a pain.

As one last idea, could the PC monitor users that are happy with this Sony share what type of room light temperature they're using? I have two floor standing lights flanking my desk that run 6000k bulbs. I wonder if I need to change my lights to a warmer color?
Elsydeon is offline  
post #718 of 1484 Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 AM
Member
 
CharlieU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
I'm on this site
http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=141

Trying to download an HDR clip.
Is it normal it will take 83 minutes?

I have a pretty large comcast connection (90)
Yup. That's pretty normal in my experience. I'm on Comcast also.
CharlieU is offline  
post #719 of 1484 Old 12-02-2016, 04:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsydeon View Post
The other issue I have is this Sony has a very noticeably blue tint to it, and decreasing that in turn makes it too red. My Dell had a natural warmth to the factory calibrated colors that I didn't have to touch, and that warmth is something I just can't seem to duplicate on the Sony. No matter what I try, the colors always seems to err on the blue, or red side. That's possibly another reason I'm getting fatigued by it, it just doesn't look properly warm.

I'm starting to think this Sony just isn't going to work out as a monitor...which is a huge disappointment, as I spent quite a bit upgrading around it (a PS4 Pro and Nvidia GTX 1070) in anticipation of moving up to 4K. Not to mention this was shipped out to me in Hawaii, so shipping this thing back is going to be a pain.

As one last idea, could the PC monitor users that are happy with this Sony share what type of room light temperature they're using? I have two floor standing lights flanking my desk that run 6000k bulbs. I wonder if I need to change my lights to a warmer color?
Right, so you need to nail down the color temp. If it is "too blue", that will cause eye strain. It may look too red only b/c you are used to seeing it overly blue, but you may just want to spend some time at the warm setting to reduce eyestrain, it should start to look less red after a while.Or purchase a colormunki, and get it perfect 6500K for $100.

I am using as a monitor, and I used an i1Display Pro to color matched it to my iMac, looks great. I use in dark room, so I use a very low brightness, usually 1 -5. If lights are on, I crank up to 15 or so. You may want to post your settings so we have a better idea.
Rimo is offline  
post #720 of 1484 Old 12-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prava View Post
Using the 43" here as a monitor. To use the screen comfy I'd say you would have to be at least 80cm from the screen (on the 43", which is the one I have). The problem isn't not the screen, is the desktop. You need a very very deep desktop in order to be able to use the keyboard and not be close to the screen itself. But for monitor usage I'd say take the smallest possible.
My desktop isn't that deep. But I can sit as far as 3.5 feet away. Ya, it's a weird shape desk. None of the stores in my area have 43" version. They are all out of stock. I guess it's selling like hot cakes. Even for 49", only one store has it. I guess I have to wait till they restock 43".
mikem71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony xd8088 , XBR-43X800D

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off