Sony Z9D Series XBR 2016 anticipation thread XBR-65Z9D | XBR-75Z9D | XBR-100Z9D - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 07-25-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Did your Kuro die or did you replace it for another reason? I ask because I still have my Kuro 150 as my main panel. Last year I bought a 950b for my basement to replace a Sony rear projection xbr 60 incher. In many ways, maybe most ways, I still prefer the picture on the Kuro. I believe my 150 was the generation before the 151 and was not quite as dark a presentation as the 151. To my eyes, the plasma still has a more real looking picture without all the annoying stuff you still get with led like motion issues and other occasional artifacting. Don't get me wrong the 950b gets a great picture in many ways, especially with 4K source, but for all the reasons I loved plasma versus led's back all those years ago, a lot of those same reasons still exist while admittedly somewhat less. Needless to say, plasma is no longer an option. Anyway what are your thoughts on your new led versus the Kuro. Thanks. Regards. Ned. .
We replaced our Kuro in our main home after we bought the OLED for our vacation home last year. At that time we found the OLED to be superior to the Kuro so that got us thinking about a new TV in our main residence.

We also redid our home theater system in our primary home and wanted a larger display. The 75" Sony works very well at our viewing distance.

The Kuro has always displayed grey bars on 2:35 movies and, as my wife puts it, the Kuro does not look as "clean or detailed" as either our OLED or Sony.

When we first got the 940D I was not happy with it until I had it calibrated by the custom installer who upgraded our home theater system. Dialing in settings myself from forum recommended settings did not seem to help much; especially OTA TV. After the calibration of the Sony, both my wife and I prefer picture of either the LG OLED or 940 better than the Kuro now.

I guess that I am not as sensitive to motion issues and artifacts as you are with your Sony. The Kuro was not perfect either and every TV has its advantages and disadvantages as you know.
Great information thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Yeah we are OT. Sorry about your RS4. Are you are any forums there Audizine AudiWorld Quattroworld?

On both. Haven't been to active on them in a while.
post #33 of 44 Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The Lack of Dolby Vision is a mistake IMHO. I truly think Dolby is a better format to HDR10 but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. But 8k for the 65 and 10K for a 75 and prob 50k for the 100 and no Dolby Vision ???????????????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 07-25-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asab8576 View Post
The Lack of Dolby Vision is a mistake IMHO. I truly think Dolby is a better format to HDR10 but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. But 8k for the 65 and 10K for a 75 and prob 50k for the 100 and no Dolby Vision ???????????????????

7k for the 65 and 10 k for the 75 however even VALUE is already selling them at a 1000$ less than that. for 6k for that much tv isnt bad at all. there will always be something that isnt perfect. someone will always unhappy.. IE lol theres people complaning about power power consumption . i mean come on really?
post #35 of 44 Old 07-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 211
[quote=Bob Fosse;45579113][QUOTE=Ngerstman;45563785]Another question for you. While being an audiophile, I never really considered myself a crazed videophile so I've never obsessed over black levels, while still certainly appreciating what good black levels mean. That said, I considered buying the LG OLED last year but found the motion performance and upscaling processing completely unacceptable, not as good as medium priced led. It seems to me the OLED crowd is too hung up over the one aspect of performance of black level at the exclusion of all else. Thoughts? Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post

I've not been obsessed about black levels just for the sake of black, but do believe that from what I've personally experienced and read that great blacks contribute to a picture with more pop and contrast in certain scenes. This is where I still find that OLED gives an advantage to LCD, but in my opinion, not to the extent that some make it out to be. Just my 2 cents.

As far as artifacts on OLEDs, I do not seem to be as sensitive to them as you are. BTW, I am also an audiophile with a separate 2 channel based system
Thanks for the thoughtful responses to both questions! Enjoy. Regards. Ned.
post #36 of 44 Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
Well I got my E6 for $5500. The Z9D msrp is $6999 but Value Electronics already has it up for $5999. I think we will see it drop down to $5499 real fast.

I'm talking about stuttering. I'm not talking about judder although there is some crazy judder on a lot of camera pans and just in general if you leave all processing off. I don't know how anyone watches it with motion processing off. Anyway, this issue and the fact that it makes a lot of sources look worse than other tv's are my big issues with it. I know making sources look worse is said to be because it shows everything but regardless, it makes a lot of content look worse than a high end LCD does and tuts definitely an issue for me.
FWIW- I see a lot of stuttering with OLEDS as well. A lot of people don't seem to see it. People process TVS visually differently- it's weird. And then they argue about what they see. I owned a 940D for almost 3 weeks. It was very good but FOR ME, it didn't quite match my Pannie Plasma. Several others have said it outdoes their Kuro or ZT60. I played with all the settings. But I didn't have it calibrated. Again, I guess it's a difference in visual processing. I felt the combination of a larger screen, upscaling,and LCD vs Plasma, gave the edge to my Pannie GT60 60". I may try a ZD9 when they're out- unless Best Buy hasa limit on how often ou can return a set. I may pay to get it calibrated as well.
post #37 of 44 Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm on the market for a new flat panel TV in the 75" to 90" range. I've been waiting for the right UHD LCD with full array local dimming LED backlight. There weren't many local dimming options for a few years so I'm glad to see some good models appearing again. The industry seems to be pushing the edge lit hard, even to the point of deliberately fuzzing the marketing to make it difficult to tell what sort of backlight is used.

The Sony XBR-75Z9D looks to be a potentially great option. As advised on this thread, I'll wait until I can view one in person and a few extensive pro user reviews appear on AVS forum.

I've considered OLED now that some larger sets are available. But I'm concerned about aging effects on OLED. I've "been there, done that" with some of the earlier plasma and LCD sets that had issues with burn in and deterioration of image quality over the first 5 years. I want something likely to stay stable and at its top quality for 10 years without having to worry about it. It ruins my enjoyment if I have to worry about leaving the TV on to preserve its precious limited life, avoiding long periods with fixed images, etc. I don't want to tip toe around the fragility of my TV! I should be able to leave it on 24x7 with TV news that has fixed overlays or the same video game and never think twice about it. When I read about all the engineering tricks to compensate for OLED aging effects I get worried. It sounds like many of you reached the conclusion that OLED aging is a non-issue. What was your rationale? Do you think an aged OLED is still better than an LCD? Or you change your TV every 3 years anyway so its a non-issue?

I'd appreciate some data on gaming performance of the new Sony's (latency, etc) when someone gets a chance to run tests. My last big screen TV sucked in this regard and I won't make that mistake again. I thought I could live with a bit of video lag but it really ruins the fun of most games and makes my brain hurt trying to compensate.
MerrlinT likes this.
post #38 of 44 Old 08-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 78
mountainman3520 -

I own a Samsung F8500 plasma and I still love it, despite the fact that it definitely needs to be babied. Burn-in can become a real problem on that model if you aren't careful. However, as much as I might lust for a new TV like the Sony XBR-75Z9D, I just can't afford to buy one. I plan to keep the plasma as long as it functions well, and I actually don't mind taking the precautions that are necessary to avoid degrading the panel.

I helped with the set-up of an EG9100 OLED for one of my relatives, and I viewed their TV in my own home for the first week. I really didn't notice any problems with image retention. Its current owner is the type of viewer who will routinely "freeze" their DVR on a news program with static graphics, and leave it that way indefinitely. So far I haven't noticed any evidence of burn-in on their OLED screen. Reviewers who have evaluated LG's OLED TVs after running them for several months also seem to conclude that burn-in is not a real issue with these sets. Screen uniformity of the OLED models actually improves over time, because after every three hours of viewing, LG's sets run a pixel equalization firmware program when the TV is turned off and is in standby mode.

Having said all that, though, I still wouldn't subject an OLED to the type of usage that you describe -- "I should be able to leave it on 24x7 with TV news that has fixed overlays or the same video game and never think twice about it." If an LCD set like the Sony XBR-75Z9D is within your budget and it has the good gaming performance that you require, I would venture to guess that its screen technology is probably more robust than an OLED and will stand up better to the rigors of heavy use. From the early "hands-on" overviews of the new Sony Z series that I have read, it appears that this model is one of the brightest flat-panel sets ever made, while its black level performance is very nearly the equal of OLED. Sony's image processing and motion handling is also considered to be unmatched in the industry (I can tell you from direct personal experience that I found the OLED to be lacking in this regard) so this Sony flagship model would seem to be almost free from the kind of flaws that might lead to buyer's remorse. I suppose I'm just wishing I could manage the price of this set with my limited income...

Last edited by hhowards; 08-23-2016 at 02:01 PM.
post #39 of 44 Old 09-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FWIW.... I have a 3 week old KS9800 that is going back next week for the Sony. And to save a GRAND on the swap is a win-win in my book. Truth be told, when the Magnolia rep first told me he'd swap the 9800 for the Z9D he said it'd be an even swap. Of course 3 weeks ago they didn't even HAVE pricing on them, much less a delivery date.

Mine is coming in next Thursday, (and a Yamaha MX-A5000 will be in Wed). Already have the RX-A3060, and waiting on a ship date for the pair of SVS Ultra PB13's. (I had to be different and order mine in black oak so it's taken WEEKS to get them.)

You can find my comments on the problems with the 9800 over in that thread. Rather serious vertical banding every 14 inches, 4 times across the screen. Or... at least the MOST noticeable ones are there, but there are actually much less noticeable ones to the left of the first one, and the right of the last one, making it 5 of the 'lesser' bands. Simply not an option for a $10,000 TV. That and the other two on display in the store also have it. Albeit not as bad as mine, but there none the less.

Really getting excited to see this new "OLED Killer".

Now to get my alarm company guy to send a couple of his guys out to climb around in my attic to run me a new 500' roll of 12ga speaker wire so I can get the full 9.2.4 experience going on up in here. LOL

Later guys.... I'll SURELY check in here once the Z9D shows up.
brickyardz likes this.
post #40 of 44 Old 09-01-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPAV View Post
FWIW.... I have a 3 week old KS9800 that is going back next week for the Sony. And to save a GRAND on the swap is a win-win in my book. Truth be told, when the Magnolia rep first told me he'd swap the 9800 for the Z9D he said it'd be an even swap. Of course 3 weeks ago they didn't even HAVE pricing on them, much less a delivery date.

Mine is coming in next Thursday, (and a Yamaha MX-A5000 will be in Wed). Already have the RX-A3060, and waiting on a ship date for the pair of SVS Ultra PB13's. (I had to be different and order mine in black oak so it's taken WEEKS to get them.)

You can find my comments on the problems with the 9800 over in that thread. Rather serious vertical banding every 14 inches, 4 times across the screen. Or... at least the MOST noticeable ones are there, but there are actually much less noticeable ones to the left of the first one, and the right of the last one, making it 5 of the 'lesser' bands. Simply not an option for a $10,000 TV. That and the other two on display in the store also have it. Albeit not as bad as mine, but there none the less.

Really getting excited to see this new "OLED Killer".

Now to get my alarm company guy to send a couple of his guys out to climb around in my attic to run me a new 500' roll of 12ga speaker wire so I can get the full 9.2.4 experience going on up in here. LOL

Later guys.... I'll SURELY check in here once the Z9D shows up.
Hey just to let you know the 75 inch Z9 is only 8999. Dont let them screw you on price
post #41 of 44 Old 09-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Hey just to let you know the 75 inch Z9 is only 8999. Dont let them screw you on price
Yeah... That's what I was (apparently ineptly) trying to say.

At first they said "even swap", but that was before they had any idea of in-store pricing. (My wife has decided that the difference needs to be spent on a new iPad pro.) LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #42 of 44 Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seen one today. Very impressive
post #43 of 44 Old 11-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sony is currently in "money is the only thing" mode. And this is fine. But realize they have great technology and are only releasing a little bit at a time. This is why they released two models this year. They simply want buyers to immediately feel buyers remorse and buy there next "slightly better" model. I would wait 3 years before I buy anything from Sony. Unless you are really behind right now regarding LCD televisions and any purchase would make a major difference, I would just wait.
post #44 of 44 Old 11-08-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Gordon View Post
Sony is currently in "money is the only thing" mode. And this is fine. But realize they have great technology and are only releasing a little bit at a time. This is why they released two models this year. They simply want buyers to immediately feel buyers remorse and buy there next "slightly better" model. I would wait 3 years before I buy anything from Sony. Unless you are really behind right now regarding LCD televisions and any purchase would make a major difference, I would just wait.
In 3 years, people will still be giving advice to wait.

There will always be something around the corner that's worth waiting for.
OptimusNeo09 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page