OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please] - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54532Likes

post #13951 of 22065 Old 03-05-2018, 08:02 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
We have been banned from the moderators discussing science here. Keep it real. They are all part of the conspiracy .

Your z9 will burn in also as the LEDs change color
Show me a thread with 2,200 posts about LED burn-in. There's one for OLED.
aHelpingHand likes this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13952 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I've only owned Sony TVs and I have never felt the need to use any of the Motionflow settings other than True Cinema (except for the H929 while watching 3D, it was mandatory to use Motionflow on standard in order to get rid of the flickering).

I'll take any potential judder issues inherent to 24p over using motion interpolation.
pbz06 likes this.
post #13953 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post
After tweaking...I don't have to reboot at all.
Maybe my tweaking is deeper than most as I have ZERO notifications from apps on.
This is my experience as well. E.g., turning off notifications from Sony Shelf gets rid of that extra menu line with garbage like Crackle. Once off, Amazon and Netflix pop down to the menu below, allowing you to re-order as desired. "Preparing recommendations" always bogged my Z9 down. Turning off every app's recommendation = no preparation.

Also, I solved the problem I was having with Dolby Digital+ stuttering via ARC with Amazon -- I remember someone else had the same issue. Turns out, the Z9D can not handle having both wifi and ethernet active at the same time. Tested multiple times. On=stuttering, off=no stuttering. Why would anyone make both active? HD Homerun's OTA tuner won't run unless wifi is on, even if it's not connected to an AP. I can just use the HDHR through Kodi as a workaround.

So double check your settings and turn off absolutely everything that you're not using, including IP and app controls. I might make a list later.
ReSultZ and TomcatTLC like this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13954 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

... Let me start out by saying that as of today if I had to pick one TV either the Z or new series OLED it would be the Z. I do not want to get into a with you but in regards to the B.I. Thread, in all fairness out of those 2000+ Posts there are as many if not more Posters who refute those claims. Yes, there is some evidence, specifically photos, but out of the countless #s of OLED TV Owners how many have B.I./I.R. issues ? As we all know there is still no perfect TV out there and any technology will have it's occasional defective Display including our beloved Z9Ds. The point being is that if B.I. is a concern for someone, regardless how unlikely it may be, then obviously the OLED Display is not for that person ... just as much as possible LCD Technology Blooming or Off Center Viewing Issues would not be for someone else. If need be, let's just agree to disagree, and move on because the more we discuss this matter the further we digress O.T. from the intent of this Thread which is to discuss the merits of one of the best TV'S ever made.
Stevez176 likes this.

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #13955 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Don't really have a dog in the Z9 vs. OLED "debate"...I'm more curious about the .0080 firmware that showed up on a 940E (yes, they use the same firmware number our Z9's do) with a 1/29/18 manufacture date sold in the U.S....hmmmmm.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #13956 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I've encountered a new glitch today.

I had been using ARC to get DD+ audio from the TV's apps to my AVR. Today, out of the blue, it stopped working. I have only the one input to the TV--HDMI 3 (ARC) from the AVR's Monitor1 (ARC) connector. As of today it stopped conveying audio. I've tried all the standard troubleshooting steps I could think of (and then some) to no avail: double-checked all the audio settings on both devices; reseated the HDMI cable; tried a different HDMI cable; turned BRAVIA Sync off and then back on; turned ARC off and then back on in the AVR; rebooted TV and AVR (both hot-boot and cold-boot), etc., etc.

I ran a digital optical (Toslink) cable and changed the TV audio input on the AVR to digital and am getting audio from the TV once again without the use of ARC. But, of course, this means no DD+ and no Atmos.

The one thing that I noticed is that in the BRAVIA Sync Device List there is a duplicate entry labelled "ADI Repeater" that I don't recall ever having seen before, and I wonder whether this is an indication of the hangup. The list looks like this now:

Device Input Audio System Type

Device 3 HDMI 3 AVR-X8500H

Audio System HDMI 3 ADI Repeater

My last resort would be to perform a factory reset of the TV, but I am naturally loath to do that since I would lose all of my custom settings and calibrations. I tried calling Sony customer support with the typically unhelpful results.

I will keep troubleshooting, but in the meantime I would appreciate any suggestions anyone here might care to offer. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Full reset on the 8500?
Tried that this morning to no avail.

I still have no clue what is generating that "ADI Repeater" entry, which I am certain I have never seen before. It must be related to the HDMI controlling software; but whether it is in the TV or the AVR I do not know. And whether that is what is causing the ARC disconnect and how to resolve it is so far a mystery. I would like to dig deeper before I resort to a factory reset of the Z9D.

Anyone?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 03-06-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #13957 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:42 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... Let me start out by saying that as of today if I had to pick one TV either the Z or new series OLED it would be the Z. I do not want to get into a with you but in regards to the B.I. Thread, in all fairness out of those 2000+ Posts there are as many if not more Posters who refute those claims. Yes, there is some evidence, specifically photos, but out of the countless #s of OLED TV Owners how many have B.I./I.R. issues ? As we all know there is still no perfect TV out there and any technology will have it's occasional defective Display including our beloved Z9Ds. The point being is that if B.I. is a concern for someone, regardless how unlikely it may be, then obviously the OLED Display is not for that person ... just as much as possible LCD Technology Blooming or Off Center Viewing Issues would not be for someone else. If need be, let's just agree to disagree, and move on because the more we discuss this matter the further we digress O.T. from the intent of this Thread which is to discuss the merits of one of the best TV'S ever made.
If you are so concerned about O.T., why did you jump in with the above long post and "totally O.T." illustration?
rlindo likes this.

Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #13958 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tried that this morning to no avail.

I still have no clue what is generating that "ADI Repeater" entry, which I am certain I have never seen before. It must be related to the HDMI controlling software; but whether it is in the TV or the AVR I do not know. And whether that is what is causing the ARC disconnect and how to resolve it is so far a mystery. I would like to dig deeper before I resort to a factory reset of the Z9D.

Anyone?

You could disconnect the HDMI cable from HDMI 3 and reboot the TV and see if the ADI Repeater is still there in which case you know it's internally generated (some rouge app perhaps?).
chi_guy50 likes this.

-Jeff-
post #13959 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6768
Quote:
Quote:
We have been banned from the moderators discussing science here. Keep it real. They are all part of the conspiracy .

Your z9 will burn in also as the LEDs change color
A LED does not have phosphorous to burn in, so technically they can never burn in however they can get a stuck image that will not do away which is super, super rare. I never had any TV of any type burn in or a stuck image.
post #13960 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
You could disconnect the HDMI cable from HDMI 3 and reboot the TV and see if the ADI Repeater is still there in which case you know it's internally generated (some rouge app perhaps?).
Another good suggestion.

Without cabling, there is no entry in the device list (as one would expect with no external devices connected to the TV). But after reinserting the cable in the HDMI3/ARC port, the "ADI Repeater" entry reappears even with CEC/ARC turned off and "digital" (Toslink) selected for the TV audio input in the AVR.

Failing any other troubleshooting tips, I guess I'm down to either a factory reset of the TV (with no assurance that that will solve the problem) or living with the digital optical connection for the TV apps until such time as both devices get an eARC update or I switch to a streaming media source such as Nvidia Shield TV.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 03-06-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #13961 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another good suggestion.

Without cabling, there is no entry in the device list (as one would expect with no external devices connected to the TV). But after reinserting the cable in the HDMI3/ARC port, the "ADI Repeater" entry reappears even with CEC/ARC turned off and "digital" (Toslink) selected for the TV audio input in the AVR.

Failing any other troubleshooting tips, I guess I'm down to either a factory reset of the TV (with no assurance that that will solve the problem) or living with the digital optical connection for the TV apps until such time as both devices get an eARC update or I switch to a streaming media source such as Nvidia Shield TV.
Standard premium certified passive high speed HDMI cable? If the cable is only plugged into the Z9D and not the 8500 do you still get the repeater listed? You could also try and connect the 203 directly to the Z9D for CEC purposes to see if the ADI nonsense shows up. Or unplug everything from the 8500 inputs so just the Z9D and 8500 are connected. In other words, try and see which device is generating the ADI repeater. Keep in mind that you are focusing on ARC but this ADI repeater listing might be associated with CEC and have nothing to do with ARC (is it possible CEC got turned on on the 203?).
chi_guy50 likes this.

-Jeff-
post #13962 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I've only owned Sony TVs and I have never felt the need to use any of the Motionflow settings other than True Cinema (except for the H929 while watching 3D, it was mandatory to use Motionflow on standard in order to get rid of the flickering).

I'll take any potential judder issues inherent to 24p over using motion interpolation.
Back in the day it was awful, soap opera effect in spades and dreadful, dreadful motion artefacts. But these modes nowadays? Genuine improvements in temporal clarity without the abundent artefacts nor the rampant SOE effect. Me likey - to a point. I'd never, ever use them for critical viewing, but to show you how much I'm getting used to it (not that I think that HFR is the devil, Billy Lynn's looks amazing) I was halfway through watching a movie on UHD earlier today when I noticed that it looked a bit smeary occasionally. Lo and behold, my Motionflow was still set to the Custom settings that I'd checked when I posted my previous message. D'oh!

But HDR DOES exacerbate judder because of the higher contrast (see here: https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/n...ng-hdr-movies/) which can be quite unnerving if someone is just getting started with HDR. I've kinda tuned it out now but there are still some shots that look bloody awful for judder in HDR, like that long tracking shot at the start of Hell or High Water. Yikes.
post #13963 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
If you are so concerned about O.T., why did you jump in with the above long post and "totally O.T." illustration?
... Actually my Fellow Z9D Owner I had jumped in a while ago when this whole OLED vs LCD Technology Discussion reared it's ugly head again after another Poster in this Thread innocently requested input about comparison of the Z9D and E7 Series OLED which I own both of. Somehow this topic discussion matter deteriorated to where it is now. I commented on your reference to the OLED B.I. Thread where your commentary was making it appear that "all" of the Posts in that Thread were reporting B.I. which is simply unfair, untrue, and misleading. As far as the insertion of the illustration that was simply an attempt at levity given where at times these Thread Posts become antagonistic in nature. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else, I apologize if my commentary appeared argumentative, and I assure you I will not comment further on this O.T. Subject Matter. I do know that we will both continue to enjoy watching our Z9D's !

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #13964 of 22065 Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 PM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... Actually my Fellow Z9D Owner I had jumped in a while ago when this whole OLED vs LCD Technology Discussion reared it's ugly head again after another Poster in this Thread innocently requested input about comparison of the Z9D and E7 Series OLED which I own both of. Somehow this topic discussion matter deteriorated to where it is now. I commented on your reference to the OLED B.I. Thread where your commentary was making it appear that "all" of the Posts in that Thread were reporting B.I. which is simply unfair, untrue, and misleading. As far as the insertion of the illustration that was simply an attempt at levity given where at times these Thread Posts become antagonistic in nature. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else, I apologize if my commentary appeared argumentative, and I assure you I will not comment further on this O.T. Subject Matter. I do know that we will both continue to enjoy watching our Z9D's !
I definitely didn't mean to be "unfair, untrue, and misleading". Maybe you read it that way; but it's not what I said. The entire 2,200 post thread is about OLED B.I.--both pro and con. It would be crazy to think that any thread was 100% one point of view. But, after someone said that LED displays can also get burn-in; my point was that there isn't any need for a 2,200 thread discussing the subject (maybe I should have said pro and con; but I thought that didn't need to be spelled out).

And like you, I hope we both enjoy the sets. :-)
TomcatTLC likes this.

post #13965 of 22065 Old 03-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Back in the day it was awful, soap opera effect in spades and dreadful, dreadful motion artefacts. But these modes nowadays? Genuine improvements in temporal clarity without the abundent artefacts nor the rampant SOE effect. Me likey - to a point. I'd never, ever use them for critical viewing, but to show you how much I'm getting used to it (not that I think that HFR is the devil, Billy Lynn's looks amazing) I was halfway through watching a movie on UHD earlier today when I noticed that it looked a bit smeary occasionally. Lo and behold, my Motionflow was still set to the Custom settings that I'd checked when I posted my previous message. D'oh!

But HDR DOES exacerbate judder because of the higher contrast (see here: https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/store/n...ng-hdr-movies/) which can be quite unnerving if someone is just getting started with HDR. I've kinda tuned it out now but there are still some shots that look bloody awful for judder in HDR, like that long tracking shot at the start of Hell or High Water. Yikes.
Yeah I've read Sony's motion interpolation is one of the best in the business (they are quite good at being one of the best in just about everything in this industry I might say ). Still I just don't feel the need to use it and it's also a matter of principle I guess.

The only really annoying judder I have come across with HDR content, is that scene in the beginning of the first RED movie.

Btw I do think HFR is the devil.
post #13966 of 22065 Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb Decrapifying Your Sony

Here's a first stab at compiling the known steps for curbing the bloatware that drags down Z9D (or any other X1 Extreme-equipped Sony) responsiveness. Maybe others can note what's missing.

Not all of these changes have a big impact. The most important fixes seem to be (1) turn off wifi if you're not using it; (2) make the developer menu fixes; (3) remove Samba; (4) remove the recommendation shelf. There's no reason to be squeamish because a factory reset cures anything you do wrong. Obviously, don't disable features that you actually use.

Also, if you are having sluggishness issues, hold down the Home key on the remote, push down and hit "dismiss" for every app you see except the one you want running. The background process limit setting also resets itself to "standard", bring it back to 1. This can make a huge difference.

---- Main Settings ----

Go into Settings (the gear icon, bottom left of the main screen) and make the following changes:

Channel -- I have this set to nothing. That way, it doesn't turn on and randomly start blaring Google Play ads or show TV channels in the background. I like it that way. Set it to your preference, obviously.

Sound -- System Sounds: Off
Digital Audio Out: Auto1

Network -- Network Setup -- Expert -- Wi-Fi: Off
Scanning always available: Off
(Obviously, if you use Wifi, keep this on and don't plug in an ethernet cable)

Network -- Remote Start: Off
-- Remote device settings -- Control remotely: Off
-- Home Network -- Renderer: Off
-- IP control -- Simple IP control: Off
Google Cast -- Usage Data: Off

Bluetooth -- Bluetooth: Off
(I don't use the voice)

RS232C Control: Off

Usage & Diagnostics: Off

Home Screen -- Recommendation Row: Hide absolutely everything
Apps & Games -- Sort Auto: Off

---- Developer Menu ----

Everything should be off by default. Make the following changes:

Enable Developer Option: On

Background Process Limit: 1

Window animation scale: Off

Window transition scale: Off

Animation duration scale: Off

---- Apps ----

Turn off notifications for apps you have on your system but you don't really use. Go into the apps menu, click on the apps in question, toggle Notifications to OFF. For me, that's stuff like Fandango and Hulu. "Force Close" Sony Shelf then turn off notifications for it.

Now, disable the following useless junk:

Asphalt Nitro
Crackle
Feedback
Talkback
Google Calendar Sync
Google Contact Sync
Google Japanese input

I think I disabled a lot more, but these are the ones that stick out.

---- Uninstall Samba ----

Uninstalling Samba eliminates the infamous Samba nag screen problem. All you need is a PC on the same network as your TV. You can do this wirelessly with a laptop:
  • Get ADB and open a command window
  • Go to your TV and hit the Home menu - Settings - About. Click the build number 7 times to activate the developer tools menu item. Open it and click on "enable ADB debugging."
  • Go to your TV's Home menu - Settings - About - Status and note the IP address of the TV. Use it in the line below.
  • On your PC, type adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
  • A popup will appear on your TV. Use your remote to check the box to always allow connections from your PC
  • Type adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 tv.samba.ssm
  • Type adb uninstall tv.samba.ssm
  • Type adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.interactivetvplatform
  • Type adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sony.dtv.interactivetvutil
  • Go back into the hidden menu and turn of ADB debugging
  • Reboot the TV
The two ssm uninstall commands are a bit redundant. If you get an error on one of them, don't worry.

The interactivetvplatform process uses Samba System Manager (ssm) to monitor what you are watching via screen recognition technology and save this information to the database file TNF_DATABASE.db in a hidden directory on the TV. To prevent the data from being phoned back home to flingo.tv (flingo is Samba), block "samba.tv" and "flingo.tv" and the following IP addresses (subject to change) with your router:

Every router is different, so there's no way to give universal instructions. Also, cheap routers won't have this capability.

Consider also uninstalling:
SmarthomeSettings (Alexa integration)
hotelmode
rvu (unless you need DirecTV)

For the most part in Android you don't need to worry about apps that aren't running in the background.

---- Fixing Apps ----
Google's new YouTube interface a webwrapper that is inferior in many respects to the app that shipped with the TV. Here's how to get the good app back.

Go to the Home screen and find the Google Play Store app. Click on it. Go to Settings and disable automatic updates. Now go to My Apps and find the YouTube icon. Click on it, and select "Uninstall Updates."

The technique works with other problematic apps. I've solved a Netflix app problem by going back to the original app. You'll have to manually update apps from now on, which is good because when you take control you'll see newer isn't necessarily better.

You can also install YouTube HDR with this sideload guide.
Sideloading a Vudu apk dated after 5/1/18 will give you Vudu with Dolby Vision UHD.
DeadEd, Egan, sjchmura and 19 others like this.

Last edited by Taxcheat; 07-26-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #13967 of 22065 Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Here's a first stab at compiling the known steps for curbing the bloatware that drags down Z9D responsiveness. Maybe others can note what's missing.

Not all of these changes have a big impact. The most important fixes seem to be (1) turn off wifi if you're not using it; (2) make the developer menu fixes; (3) remove Samba; (4) remove the recommendation shelf. There's no reason to be squeamish because a factory reset cures anything you do wrong. Obviously, don't disable features that you actually use.

---- Main Settings ----

Go into Settings (the gear icon, bottom left of the main screen) and make the following changes:

Channel -- I have this set to nothing. That way, it doesn't turn on and randomly start blaring Google Play ads or show TV channels in the background. I like it that way. Set it to your preference, obviously.

Picture & Display -- Notification -- Dolby Vision notification. This is a new option that was turned off by default. I turned it on. Not sure what it does, because I still got the notice with it off.

(I don't use the voice)

---- Developer Menu ----

Background Process Limit: 4

---- Apps ----

Turn off notifications for apps you have on your system but you don't really use. Go into the apps menu, click on the apps in question, toggle Notifications to OFF. For me, that's stuff like Fandango and Hulu. "Force Close" Sony Shelf then turn off notifications for it.

Asphalt Nitro
Crackle
Feedback
Talkback
Google Calendar Sync
Google Contact Sync
Google Japanese input

Uninstalling Samba eliminates the infamous Samba nag screen problem. All you need is a PC on the same network as your TV. You can do this wirelessly with a laptop:
  • Go to your TV and hit the Home menu - Settings - About. Click the build number 7 times to activate the developer tools menu item. Open it and click on "enable ADB debugging."
  • Go to your TV's Home menu - Settings - About - Status and note the IP address of the TV. Use it in the line below.
  • A popup will appear on your TV. Use your remote to check the box to always allow connections from your PC
  • Reboot the TV
Despite uninstalling Samba, it will still make outbound connections to flingo.tv (flingo is Samba). Block this with your router. There must be another app causing the TV to phone home your personal viewing habits.

qterics.da.product
hotelmode

For the most part in Android you don't need to worry about apps that aren't running in the background.
Thanks for this, will look into it sometime soon.
post #13968 of 22065 Old 03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I found that not connecting it to the internet at all (I'm one of those kooks who only uses his TV like a TV) is indeed the #1 way of speeding these things up. Before I got my Zed I read lots of complaining on AVF as to how slow and buggy the menus were, but as it stands it's faster and more responsive than my previous 55X9005A & B Sony TVs. I went into the developer menu when I first heard about it and disabled Samba this and Sony Select that but it didn't make a difference that I could discern on top of turning off the Wifi, I also changed the menu animation to a lower setting but that made it slower for some reason. After the previous firmware update I got a major bug with Samba too, a message kept on popping up every 30 seconds saying that the app had stopped so I had to do a full reset to clear it. As it stands I'm happy to leave it as it is.
rlb, Eternal Noob and daimler2015 like this.
post #13969 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

*double post*

Please delete.

Last edited by DJR662; 03-08-2018 at 02:05 AM.
post #13970 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't had any Samba related problems on my 65ZD9 because I'm still on an older firmware (pre-DV). I tend to keep it that way.

My 75ZD9 comes in this Saturday. I hope it's still on the same firmware as my 65". I don't have the need for DV and besides, a more responsive and Samba-less TV is much more important to me.
jdsmoooth likes this.
post #13971 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
I haven't had any Samba related problems on my 65ZD9 because I'm still on an older firmware (pre-DV). I tend to keep it that way.

My 75ZD9 comes in this Saturday. I hope it's still on the same firmware as my 65". I don't have the need for DV and besides, a more responsive and Samba-less TV is much more important to me.

They all have samba. You are being spied on. In fact, this new firmware with DV makes it easier to get rid of

You don't watch Netflix or Amazon prime?
rlb likes this.

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #13972 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They all have samba. You are being spied on. In fact, this new firmware with DV makes it easier to get rid of

You don't watch Netflix or Amazon prime?
My girlfriend watches Netflix, I never use it myself.

Since I never had the Samba popups and I'm on an older firmware, I was under the impression Samba was not active on my set?
post #13973 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
A LED does not have phosphorous to burn in, so technically they can never burn in however they can get a stuck image that will not do away which is super, super rare. I never had any TV of any type burn in or a stuck image.
Dead pixels are more caused by pressure on the screen.
So in a way physical damage.
post #13974 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Here's a first stab at compiling the known steps for curbing the bloatware that drags down Z9D responsiveness. Maybe others can note what's missing.

---- Main Settings ----

Picture & Display -- Notification -- Dolby Vision notification. This is a new option that was turned off by default. I turned it on. Not sure what it does, because I still got the notice with it off.

(I don't use the voice)

---- Developer Menu ----

Background Process Limit: 4

---- Apps ----

Asphalt Nitro
Crackle
Feedback
Talkback
Google Calendar Sync
Google Contact Sync
Google Japanese input

• Reboot the TV
Despite uninstalling Samba, it will still make outbound connections to flingo.tv (flingo is Samba). Block this with your router. There must be another app causing the TV to phone home your personal viewing habits.

qterics.da.product
hotelmode

Let me add you can also close each app by holding the Home button.
Taxcheat likes this.
post #13975 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since I never had the Samba popups and I'm on an older firmware, I was under the impression Samba was not active on my set?
Samba is active even when you tell Samba "no" in the settings and remove the app via ADB. It takes like 5 minutes to get rid of the Samba app. After doing so, there's no downside to having the latest firmware, which in addition to DV plugs a ton of Android security holes.

Need to do more testing to figure out which other app is being hijacked to transmit your viewing data to Flingo.tv.

post #13976 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nope day one. They just got worse at spying as firmware went along

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #13977 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post
Dead pixels are more caused by pressure on the screen.

So in a way physical damage.

Most white led use phosphorous and degrade. All led colorspace can vary over time and is not stable forever - the best new bulbs have good life expectancy and color output for 25-50k hours like cree but those are 70% brightness at 50k average. The color gets cooler too as time goes on.

I doubt Sony is using quality lighting since they use a $25 rasberri pi. The Chinese led lights are feared to be 10x worst then the best

Again, any bets on the quality Sony used? It's not cree

"Kill Cancer or Die"
post #13978 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Nope day one. They just got worse at spying as firmware went along
Source?
post #13979 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Most white led use phosphorous and degrade. All led colorspace can vary over time and is not stable forever - the best new bulbs have good life expectancy and color output for 25-50k hours like cree but those are 70% brightness at 50k average. The color gets cooler too as time goes on.

I doubt Sony is using quality lighting since they use a $25 rasberri pi. The Chinese led lights are feared to be 10x worst then the best

Again, any bets on the quality Sony used? It's not cree
Not sure what this has to do with dead pixels but id bet white LED's last much longer than Organic LED's.(OLED)
post #13980 of 22065 Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm on the new firmware. Never had the popup on the old or the new.
dominica likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
flicker , sony xbr-75z9d , sync , XBR-65Z9D , xbr-940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page