AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please]

2M views 24K replies 993 participants last post by  LeeSoFl 
#1 ·
It's here!!

Just wanted to do a quick post for now. Spent about 15 minutes doing a quick eyeball calibration and the picture is gorgeous. Currently watching the DirecTV 4K feed of the Olympics. Looks excellent.

Upconversion of DirecTV's 1080 signal also looks very good. Blacks are terrific.

I have a lot more fine tuning to do later today, but so far, I'm very impressed with this display. I'll watch a 4K HDR disk a bit later.

Previous display was the Sony 950B, which, other than the lack of HDR, displays an incredible picture. It's very hard to compare to the Z9D from memory, but I think the blacks and shadow detail are better with the Z9D.

I'll try to post more later, but wanted to let everyone know that so far the set is a big thumbs up.

#9,301 ·
I have sent the following email to Sony Support today and am posting it here for general information and to elicit any comments or solutions other users may wish to provide:

RE: TV randomly turns itself on

Periodically, my XBR-65Z9D will randomly turn itself on. This has occurred in the middle of the night when none of our devices which could plausibly control the TV are in use.

I am aware through comments in the Sony Community and other on-line fora that this is an issue which has plagued other Android TV's in Sony's line-up for several years now and I have seen a number of suggested solutions (including exiting completely out of Netflix after each session), but the basic fault appears in all probability to lie in the TV's firmware.

Do you have any specific recommendations for me based on my Z9D model? And is Sony aware that this is a pervasive issue in their Android TV's and, if so, are you working on a global solution? Thank you for your assistance.

Reactions: 72.greyscale
#9,302 ·
I have sent the following email to Sony Support today and am posting it here for general information and to elicit any comments or solutions other users may wish to provide:

RE: TV randomly turns itself on

Periodically, my XBR-65Z9D will randomly turn itself on. This has occurred in the middle of the night when none of our devices which could plausibly control the TV are in use.

I am aware through comments in the Sony Community and other on-line fora that this is an issue which has plagued other Android TV's in Sony's line-up for several years now and I have seen a number of suggested solutions (including exiting completely out of Netflix after each session), but the basic fault appears in all probability to lie in the TV's firmware.

Do you have any specific recommendations for me based on my Z9D model? And is Sony aware that this is a pervasive issue in their Android TV's and, if so, are you working on a global solution? Thank you for your assistance.
Nothing like that but Android did reset itself around 2 PM today on my tv while it was paused on YouTube and I was eating lunch.

#9,306 ·
If anybody is having issues with IPV6 on this tv, I figured it out.

In my case, I have native IPV6. My router is set to auto config. Each of my Sony tv's get an IPV6 address but they fail the last test, internet access. Keeping it enabled with the last test failed was causing it to take forever to load because it was trying ipv6 first and then falling back to ipv4.

The answer is in the DNS setting. In my router, I use Google IPV6 addresses. For some reason, the Sony TV's show the default gateway and DNS as the exact same address. To fix this, set up IPV6 in your tv as Manual. Leave all settings as is but when you get to DNS, change that to 2001:4860:4860::8888. That'll do the trick. Passes all tests and works fine.

#9,307 · (Edited)
So I finally seem to have the TV set up correctly. When watching the Netflix App on the TV itself it passes on 5.1 audio from HDMI 3 through ARC to my Denon 6300 receiver. It gets a 5.1 signal. Yay!

All of my media players are of course directly connected to the Denon 6300 which then feeds video to HDMI 3 of the Sony. However, I have a Nintendo Switch that I don't want to keep in my media closet. So instead I have the Switch connected directly to HDMI 2 of the Sony and it also passes audio to my Denon 6300 (connected to HDMI 3 of the Sony) via ARC.

Unfortunately, I only seem to be getting Stereo from my Switch when connected that way. Even if I select "5.1" in the Switch audio menu the 5 test signals all come out from the left and right speakers of my AVR. If I connect the switch to the Denon 6300 directly I receive a proper 5.1 signal.

So my question is this: Is it even possible to pass on a 5.1 signal from the Sony's HDMI 2 via ARC (through the Sony's HDMI 3) to an AVR? Or am I trying to make something work that isn't even possible?

If it is theoretically possible I'm wondering why it's not working for me.
I think I figured out what's going on here. According to rtings.com the Z9D does support 5.1 pass through via ARC:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

HOWEVER: the Nintendo Switch outputs its 5.1 signal as PCM which according to rtings no TV currently supports via ARC. So seems like I'll need to connect my Switch directly to the AVR which is a shame. I really wanted it to be connected to HDMI 2 so it can sit under the TV and use a seperate picture profile.

Unless anyone else has any ideas?

#9,308 ·
Got my 65" model last Wednesday from Chris at Cleveland AV. Thanks Chris for a smooth purchase!

Coming from a 2009 Panasonic Plasma and agonized over the Z9D and one of the OLED's. Eventually it was down to one of the Sony's and figured if I was upgrading to experience hdr, I might as go with the brighter option since I don't upgrade my set often. I like to game and watch sports more so then watching movies, but am looking forward to everything in hdr. Haven't had as much time with the set as I would like, but so far I am really enjoying the upgrade. I had no 4k equipment until I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. Excited to pick up Horizon today and try it out.

Plugged in settings from 10k and sjchmura and will continue to learn about the tv. Appreciate all the helpful information from everyone I am finding in the thread and look forward to enjoying the tv with the other owners.

Watched Le Mans: Racing is Everything through the Amazon app as my first 4k experience and it definitely brought a smile to my face. Watching Cubs games through the MLBTV app and motion seems to be pretty good. Overall, a little different then plasma, but I am sure I will adjust. Will try to watch some soccer today and hope that also looks in motion.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the helpful information which lead my to this great tv! My wife and daughter are going to give me all day to enjoy the tv on this Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. :)

#9,309 ·
Thinking about purchasing a 65"Z9D. If any knows how is the motion blur watching NHL Hockey? I watch a lot of hockey and some other sports. If anyone could let me know how it looks. I appreciate it thank you. And Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Have a great day!!

#9,310 ·
Thinking about purchasing a 65"Z9D. If any knows how is the motion blur watching NHL Hockey? I watch a lot of hockey and some other sports. If anyone could let me know how it looks. I appreciate it thank you. And Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Have a great day!!
I watch hockey, and never noticed blurring. I used the default "sports" picture mode (with slight tweaks to Live Color and Temperature) and it's been great.

The default motion setting for sports is "Clear", which use a small amount of frame interpolation, plus black frame insertion.

#9,311 ·
Did the 2016 OLED receive an HDR Game Mode update? I thought the lag was as good as SDR on the 2017 C7 in HDR Game Mode. In Standard HDR Mode I could feel the lag.

But Dolby vision is horrible. I think the cpu can keep.up.witu 24fps barely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9,312 ·
I watch hockey, and never noticed blurring. I used the default "sports" picture mode (with slight tweaks to Live Color and Temperature) and it's been great.

The default motion setting for sports is "Clear", which use a small amount of frame interpolation, plus black frame insertion.

Is yours the 65"?? I thought that you had 75". I really don't notice blueing in content at all even without clear. But clear is more defined (on the 75).

The pixel.response of the 65 is 2.5x soay not be as good especially at 720p 60 sports like tox

#9,314 ·

Thank You!

#9,315 ·
Yes, 65".

Ah sorry. Thout you had 75.

All.good

After seeing the 2017 77" prices even more satisfied with my 1/3 price z9 to give up 2"

#9,316 ·
Got my 65" model last Wednesday from Chris at Cleveland AV. Thanks Chris for a smooth purchase!

Coming from a 2009 Panasonic Plasma and agonized over the Z9D and one of the OLED's. Eventually it was down to one of the Sony's and figured if I was upgrading to experience hdr, I might as go with the brighter option since I don't upgrade my set often. I like to game and watch sports more so then watching movies, but am looking forward to everything in hdr. Haven't had as much time with the set as I would like, but so far I am really enjoying the upgrade. I had no 4k equipment until I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. Excited to pick up Horizon today and try it out.

Plugged in settings from 10k and sjchmura and will continue to learn about the tv. Appreciate all the helpful information from everyone I am finding in the thread and look forward to enjoying the tv with the other owners.

Watched Le Mans: Racing is Everything through the Amazon app as my first 4k experience and it definitely brought a smile to my face. Watching Cubs games through the MLBTV app and motion seems to be pretty good. Overall, a little different then plasma, but I am sure I will adjust. Will try to watch some soccer today and hope that also looks in motion.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the helpful information which lead my to this great tv! My wife and daughter are going to give me all day to enjoy the tv on this Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. :)
Thats very cool ;)