OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please] - Page 517 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54556Likes

post #15481 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez176 View Post
Do you know if backup UHD disc's played from folders still works through a USB drive as it has in the past after this firmware update? I forget the popup I used to get playing certain movie that would block the screen with a message, cydia or something like that.
I've been watching my DV content over the network, so, no, the new Oppo firmware doesn't change folder playback.
Stevez176 likes this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Auto Picture Mode - in Picture & Display > Picture Adjustments Settings

Does anyone know exactly how this feature works? I'm having trouble finding a credible/complete description online. I'm doing some troubleshooting and this info would help me.

Thanks!
I've been testing it out lately and might keep sticking with it. It's not perfect but close for the way I use it. It would have been better if it can recognize content better within the same source. I have my ps4 pro, cable box, pc, and Oppo player routed through my AVR and only one HDMI cable to the TV.

This is what I've noticed so far:

- You can manually switch to a picture mode (Home, Pro, Sports, Game etc), turn on Auto, and it will remember.

- It doesn't switch or remember by content though. So if you have it on Sports while watching NBA on cable box, it won't be able to switch when changing the channel to a movie for example. It will keep it on Sports.

- The good news is that it does recognize 24fps so if I switch to Opppo, it will keep it in Sports mode for example while at the home screen, but as soon as you load and start a movie it will switch to Cinema Home. It doesn't seem like you can make it go to Pro.

- When PS4 loads up, it puts it in Game Mode which is fine since I only use it for games. Unfortunately you can't make it switch to other modes if you use the apps like Netflix. Ps4 is always in Game Mode with Auto activated.

- pc is similar as above but it puts it in Graphics mode. Which is fine for me and works well for my PC games with similar lag as game mode. Just hjad to adjust to same settings.

- TV apps it deactivates auto mode but it remembers your last picture mode. Netflix has it's own for HDR and SDR, while Amazon Video, YouTube, and HBO Now seem to use whatever settings you used last time. Once you exit TV mode it goes back to Auto.

So for me, it's ok with the content I watch and how I watch.
JasonQG likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #15483 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
They are talking about the player that automatically switches the video signal based on the source material, not the one you have to manually change.
You would think they would all be like this.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15484 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Guys anyone know any other dlna player that i can install in the tv to be able to have subtitles to be shown in a mkv with srt?
post #15485 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I've been testing it out lately and might keep sticking with it...
Thanks for your excellent response on Auto Picture Mode - much appreciated.

Follow-up question: when you TV changes modes, what do you see? Does your screen go black for a moment or flicker?

Thanks again!
post #15486 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Thanks for your excellent response on Auto Picture Mode - much appreciated.

Follow-up question: when you TV changes modes, what do you see? Does your screen go black for a moment or flicker?

Thanks again!
It's instant, so you don't really notice it.
EllisGJ likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #15487 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
So you prefer the Xbox and ps4 to do the upscaling?
Yes, this should always be preferred for playing video games since this will result in the lowest input latency.
post #15488 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislax19 View Post
Last question for a while. Do you set RGB range on the ps4/xbox/switch to Automatic, limited, or full? It says automatic is recommended.

I want to make sure I am optimizing all of my devices. Thanks!
Automatic.
post #15489 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
… Very Nice and thank you for your Thread Post. Sooooooo … what movie did you watch, how did it look, and if you had watched this same movie in HDR 10 is there any significant difference that you saw from the two formats ? T.I.A.

… Sorry about that ! This message was meant for Taxcheat.
Well I'm going to chime in too. And it's pretty similar to Taxcheat's response. I went to Spiderman Homecoming since I needed something humorous after a long day and it got good reviews for the DV image.

The short answer is that it looks great through the Oppo 205, but it looked great in HDR10 also. I don't think most viewers would notice an improvement from one to the other. The DV update seemed to be more noticeable on some of the streaming services. I remember Marco Polo was one show where I felt like the DV image was an upgrade from HDR. But still we're talking some pretty subtle differences.

Taxcheat - whatever you do, don't waste your time with The Last Knight. I bought it thinking I'd use it for a demo, show-off disc. Watched it once, felt dirty and used, and immediately sold it on Ebay!

I could use a little help - is there a resource here or elsewhere that has an up-to-date comparison of the best quality from the various streaming options? In my case it's the Sony apps vs. a Roku or a Sony Bluray player. Netflix seems a clear winner on the TV app, but I'm wondering what's state of the art for other options like Amazon Instant, Vudu, etc. Thanks if you can point me somewhere.
Taxcheat and TomcatTLC like this.
post #15490 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I disagree about Transformers The Last Knight...looks outstanding in DV on my Z9. Wonderful moments of 3D like pop! Clarity, color, brightness, highlights - crazy good!
post #15491 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
I disagree about Transformers The Last Knight...looks outstanding in DV on my Z9. Wonderful moments of 3D like pop! Clarity, color, brightness, highlights - crazy good!
It looks and sounds great, that's not the issue. It's the absurd storyline and the fact that it goes on for 17 hours.

It nearly makes you pine for the good old days of Pearl Harbor.
kinglm likes this.
post #15492 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post
Yes, this should always be preferred for playing video games since this will result in the lowest input latency.

Exactly. The lag is 1/2. 23ms vs 44

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #15493 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post

I got through the first 30m. Transformers LK does look awesome in DV. It's also terrible as a movie, but it's meant to be a brain-off popcorn flick.

I need to revise my initial assessment of DV. I was watching yesterday with the default, neutral color temp in the rush to see disc DV for the first time. Well, when I switched to the proper temp, it looked awesome like the best DV stuff on Netflix. Rewatched a chunk of Last Jedi -- waaay better. Sampled Hell or High Water and Fast & Furious 8. From my very quick sampling, the F&F disc looks way better than I remember the Dolby Cinema version looking.

Again, it's not going to make a badly mastered or intentionally dim movie look "better" just because it has DV. But the best looking discs in your collection are going to be DV discs.

Edit: the proper temp = expert 1
JFR0317 and kinglm like this.

Last edited by Taxcheat; 06-07-2018 at 06:20 AM.
post #15494 of 22191 Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Which of the new AV receivers can pass-through Dolby Vision to the Z9D? I see conflicting reports on the receivers forums , what I need is a new receiver capable to send DV from an ATV . Thanks for any tips.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #15495 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Well, when I switched to the proper temp, it looked awesome like the best DV stuff on Netflix.
Is it now because of DoVi's inherent advantage, or because of changed settings?
I do not see the difference. Especially weighing it against the massive rage about DoVi support on the net. I was expecting something massive. In real life the difference is subtle at best.
PS I have calibrated screen to D65 white point, so I watch everything with same color temp setting.
post #15496 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 43
VUDU 4K on 75" Z9D

I am having my internet upgraded to 300mb this morning and wanted to know what I have to do to get the digital downloads of movies I have put on Vudu. These are physical copies that came with UHD digital downloads that are in my Vudu account. These are not purchased movies off of Vudu. When I go to the website it says I own various movies in UHD but I noticed on my wife's Sony 900E it will only give me the option for SD or HDX. I have not tried yet on the Z9 but thought I would ask if I need to do something special. Also I am still on the original firmware. Do I need to upgrade and is it safe to do so without the blanking and noise issues the first DV update caused? Thanks as always.
post #15497 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 07:09 AM

Is it OK to upgrade the firmware now?

I am having my internet speed increased to 300mb this morning and will be upgrading my Netflix account for 4K. I am still on the original firmware so I do not have the DV upgrade yet. I read here that there were issues with the first DV firmware upgrade and wanted to know the blanking and noise issues have been resolved and if it is OK to upgrade to the latest firmware. I will be using the built in AP on the "75 Z9 for Netflix and VUDU if that makes a difference. I currently do not have a 4K Blu Ray player until I decide what I want to get now that Oppo is out of the 203. Thanks for the help.

One other question. If a Netflix 4K program does Dolby Vision and I do not update the firmware will the program still play in HDR10 or even play at all?
post #15498 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Is it now because of DoVi's inherent advantage, or because of changed settings?
I do not see the difference. Especially weighing it against the massive rage about DoVi support on the net. I was expecting something massive. In real life the difference is subtle at best.
Well, there are a lot of things at play here. I suspect there's a difference with DV, but, yeah, it's subtle and won't knock you over. Diminishing returns: Pay more to get that extra 2% of performance. Like a Z9D isn't really all that much better than a 940D. A lot also depends on the movie. People expecting "pop" are going to be disappointed when they play something like Saving Private Ryan. It's meant to be grim, not bright. Based only on what I've seen in Netflix, the difference is in the lighting and contrast, not in super bright highlights that HDR10 can do just as well.

The DV advantage in the home isn't necessarily found by comparing the same movie in DV to the same movie in HDR10. DV discs tend to have high bitrates and much better mastering than the quick-get-them-out-the-door HDR10 specials. Transformers is ~80mbit average, and it shows. That advantage for DV also narrows the difference when you compare the same disc in DV and HDR10.

Is a DV disc like Transformers Last Knight better than a perfectly mastered, high-bitrate HDR10 disc like Lucy? I dunno yet. I kinda don't care. If forcing mastering houses to make an annual $100,000 licensing donation to Dolby Labs gets us better looking discs (and movies), then that's enough to make me happy. Too early to tell, but I suspect when it comes time to run a demo of what the Z9D can do, I'll be running a DV disc. Sorry, Lucy.

Hopefully it won't be Transformers.
10k and Gillietalls like this.

post #15499 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Which of the new AV receivers can pass-through Dolby Vision to the Z9D? I see conflicting reports on the receivers forums , what I need is a new receiver capable to send DV from an ATV . Thanks for any tips.
I'm sure a Google search and reviewing receiver options and their specs might help. I have a Sony receiver and with it's DV update last year passes DV from Apple TV 4K. It's the Sony STR-ZA5000ES.
post #15500 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
I am having my internet upgraded to 300mb this morning and wanted to know what I have to do to get the digital downloads of movies I have put on Vudu. These are physical copies that came with UHD digital downloads that are in my Vudu account. These are not purchased movies off of Vudu. When I go to the website it says I own various movies in UHD but I noticed on my wife's Sony 900E it will only give me the option for SD or HDX. I have not tried yet on the Z9 but thought I would ask if I need to do something special. Also I am still on the original firmware. Do I need to upgrade and is it safe to do so without the blanking and noise issues the first DV update caused? Thanks as always.
Right now UHD is only available in the Beta version of Vudu which can be found here: https://forum.vudu.com/forum/technic...hnical-support

(Not sure if the beta is still running)

As far as the firmware causing blanking, some users experience it but I haven't on my Z or 930E so YMMV.
post #15501 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Question for those with a Z9D and AVR-X8500H. I got it all hooked up and it works great, 4K HDR passes right through. The only thing I can't get to work is 1080p 120hz on my PC. This worked before I put the receiver in my system but doesn't work now, the Z9D power cycles when I try to do it. Does this not work through the AVR-X8500H?
post #15502 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
Question for those with a Z9D and AVR-X8500H. I got it all hooked up and it works great, 4K HDR passes right through. The only thing I can't get to work is 1080p 120hz on my PC. This worked before I put the receiver in my system but doesn't work now, the Z9D power cycles when I try to do it. Does this not work through the AVR-X8500H?
It is unlikely that many, if any, AVRs support 120Hz since it is such an uncommon refresh rate for home theater.
post #15503 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
I have the Yamaha CX-A5100 and it passes DV from ATV to the Z9D.
slimoli likes this.

System I | Sony 75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | ATV5 | Energy Veritas 1.8 (LR) | 2.0 (C) | 2.0R (S+SB) | Mirage OMD-5 (FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | MX-A5000 x 2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP | Panamax Power 360 Strip
System II | Sony 75Z9D | ATV5 | Yamaha RX-A1070 | NAD T973 | Mirage OMD-28, OMD C2, OMD-5 | SVS PB12+/2
post #15504 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
I have the Yamaha CX-A5100 and it passes DV from ATV to the Z9D.
Jason,

Thank you for confirming that, what about the OPPO 203 with beta DV?

I was reading though all the updates for the CX-A5100 couldn't find anything, mind me asking why you have 2 MX-A5000 amps? I am in the process of building my Atmos speaker system, I see that there will be some limitations with power delivered

btw did you see A4KTV getting Dolby Atmos?

any and all info is appreciated, as these are the separates I plan to run unless they release a CX-A5200 soon.

Sony Tri-75" Z9D's / 75" 850C / Apple 4KTV / OPPO UDP-203 / twin X1X Scorpio's

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 06-07-2018 at 01:06 PM.
post #15505 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Right now UHD is only available in the Beta version of Vudu which can be found here: https://forum.vudu.com/forum/technic...hnical-support

(Not sure if the beta is still running)

As far as the firmware causing blanking, some users experience it but I haven't on my Z or 930E so YMMV.
Thank you for your reply. Why do they allow you to download 4K movies from digital codes if they can't play them? Does another device support this playback?
post #15506 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post
Thank you for your reply. Why do they allow you to download 4K movies from digital codes if they can't play them? Does another device support this playback?
No service allows you to download 4K movies, they are only available for streaming.

They allow you to gain an entitlement to stream 4K movies but availability is dependent on the capabilities of the hardware/software you are using.

These are the devices which support UHD streaming from Vudu: https://forum.vudu.com/forum/vudu/ge...e-devices-list
post #15507 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post
It works on the x4400H.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sony 75" XBR-75Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
(4) Klipsch RP-280FA Dolby Atmos Enabled Towers
(1) Klipsch RP-450CA Center Channel
(1) SVS 12" PC-2000 Subwoofer
post #15508 of 22191 Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcamaro1991 View Post
Jason,

Thank you for confirming that, what about the OPPO 203 with beta DV?

I was reading though all the updates for the CX-A5100 couldn't find anything, mind me asking why you have 2 MX-A5000 amps? I am in the process of building my Atmos speaker system, I see that there will be some limitations with power delivered

btw did you see A4KTV getting Dolby Atmos?

any and all info is appreciated, as these are the separates I plan to run unless they release a CX-A5200 soon.
Haven’t tried the oppo beta yet. We moved about a month ago and so busy with everything. If we were still at the old place I would have had the beta tested on release day...

As you might see in my sig, my front LCR are fairly power hungry. The MX-A5000 can deliver a good amount of power into two-channels at 4 ohms without distortion, and offers the flexibility of driving many other zones at lower power. The other MX-A5000 drives the surround channels.

Can’t wait to get ATV Dolby Atmos. Fall seems way too late but really just around the corner. Hopefully the beta is available soon.

We watched Hostiles the other night Fromm ATV 4k, and I thought it looked overly sharpened...not sure if it was the material, or a soft picture caused by a weak signal (I’m running on Wi-Fi now and had hard-wire at the old house) that was oversharpened by my Z9 settings.

I did get The Matrix UHD on release day to watch it with in laws while they were in town. Looking forward to checking out the DV layer on the Z9, maybe over the weekend

System I | Sony 75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | ATV5 | Energy Veritas 1.8 (LR) | 2.0 (C) | 2.0R (S+SB) | Mirage OMD-5 (FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | MX-A5000 x 2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP | Panamax Power 360 Strip
System II | Sony 75Z9D | ATV5 | Yamaha RX-A1070 | NAD T973 | Mirage OMD-28, OMD C2, OMD-5 | SVS PB12+/2
post #15509 of 22191 Old 06-08-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is unlikely that many, if any, AVRs support 120Hz since it is such an uncommon refresh rate for home theater.

My denon x4200 passes it. Overclocked to 131 hz

At 4k I can get 66 hz

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
post #15510 of 22191 Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
It works on the x4400H.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did you try overclocking yet? I never thought to remove the AVR. I wonder if I could get the 75” higher than 66hz!!!

I will post my overclocked setting later. Had to make all custom timings

"Kill Cancer or Die"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
flicker , sony xbr-75z9d , sync , XBR-65Z9D , xbr-940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page