OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please] - Page 719 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54759Likes

post #21541 of 22533 Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Ah ok. I see now. I guess the lower bitrate isn't as big of a deal as the Nakamichi website makes it out to be.

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/best-dolby-atmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Mixed bag of information and misinformation.

After looking at it some more, the point they are trying to make is dont put your high bandwidth disc players in the TV ports since ARC cant handle that. For streaming services, it doesnt matter. That doesnt make ARC a universally "poor" method. Poor for a BD/UHD player but not for streaming services. Im happy to see streaming services paying more attention to audio quality. Netflix increasing the audio BW and adding ATMOS was a nice step. Now if they would just support more devices.....
sjm817 put is far more eloquently than I would have but I had to laugh that you were linking an "Atmos" soundbar as a reference. The three main services they list on that link you provided are all lossy E-AC-3 providers.

With a soundbar attempting to reproduce "Atmos" you have far bigger issues than a lossy vs. lossless version of the audio.
You might be surprised if your heard it... I've heard plenty of full home theater setups and this keeps up surprisingly well.

Not everyone can do a room full of speakers. 3 small kids...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820
Sony 65xZ9D (Living room)
Sony 65xA9F (Bedroom)
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21542 of 22533 Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
You might be surprised if your heard it... I've heard plenty of full home theater setups and this keeps up surprisingly well.

Not everyone can do a room full of speakers. 3 small kids...
I am sure it sounds great for what it is and you do what you gotta do.

My main point was that all streaming services use DD+ Atmos.

Very few people are looking to play lossless TrueHD disc backups through their TV back down via ARC.
post #21543 of 22533 Old 07-06-2019, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The ZD juspt received a minor firmware update: Firmware update to v6.6520
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016213
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21544 of 22533 Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
How is stranger things season 3? Worth the Dolby vision and atmos to figure out the built in app or just use my shield for hdr10?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
The DV looks great (although ep 8 was noticeably darker than 1-7).

The show is 5.1, no Atmos.

I watched all of season one so far and it was 4K but no HDR than I started watching the first episode of season 2 and It was in Dolby Vision HDR. I did see a noticeable difference with the picture to me looking better when it comes to the vibrancy of the colors.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k Universal Player
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo 5 Channel Amp
post #21545 of 22533 Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Netflix does not support it. The Z9D does support Atmos. You can install Kodi, and the Netflix addon for Kodi to get Atmos support. You will lose DV but will have HDR10.
Hi
Thanks for the tip. Installed Kodi (ver 19) and netflix addon to Kodi. I get HDR, but no dolby atmos. I tired Lost in the Space, Iron fist, and few dolby atmos netflix, but can not see any atmos coming from my AVR. TV connect to ARC to ARC of the AVR, AVR supports Dol y atmos.
Is there any other changes to do on Kodi? I did enable bistream output on Kodi, TV's sound out is DD+ on.

Thank you
post #21546 of 22533 Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
Hi
Thanks for the tip. Installed Kodi (ver 19) and netflix addon to Kodi. I get HDR, but no dolby atmos. I tired Lost in the Space, Iron fist, and few dolby atmos netflix, but can not see any atmos coming from my AVR. TV connect to ARC to ARC of the AVR, AVR supports Dol y atmos.
Is there any other changes to do on Kodi? I did enable bistream output on Kodi, TV's sound out is DD+ on.

Thank you
Did you enable the inputstream addon? Im on Kodi 18.3 so dont know if 19 is any sort of issue. I only use Kodi for the Netflix addon.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767

Last edited by sjm817; 07-07-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #21547 of 22533 Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Did you enable the inputstream addon? Im on Kodi 18.3 so dont know if 19 is any sort of issue. I only use Kodi for the Netflix addon.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767
Thanks . Give it a try. I think yesterday when I download Kodi I got the version name LIEA or some thing like that and version is 19 something. Sorry I am not used to use Kodi too, and looking see how Dolby atmos working with Kodi. Also this version of Kodi has the option of enabling HDR and Dolby vision HDR too.
post #21548 of 22533 Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The intro to S3 of Stranger Things (even without Atmos) but using the Marantz Dolby Surround feature for pseudo atmos was DEMO WORTHY in my opinion.

It's a shame they do not update for Atmos (same with Amazon) as VuDu has pulled ahead of all other apps in providing the most up to date formats for streaming and proves the TV is certainly capable.
The DV of Stranger Things is very nice as well, my only complain is it sometimes looks like it' using the fake "film grain" like some of the Netflix marvel shows and could be a lot clearer, but given the 80s looks the show is going for i'm ok with it.

I'm only 2 episodes in and can't wait to finish it!

EYES: Sony 75z9d
EARS: Klipsch: Front - RF7 | Center - RC7 | Side Surround - RF35 | Rear Surround - RS35
BRAIN: Marantz 8012
FOOD: Oppo BDP 103D: HD and 3D, SACD/CD | Sony UBP‑X700: 4K | Marantz 1975 6300 Turntable (Grado Blue Cartridge)
post #21549 of 22533 Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
Hi

Thank you
Not home at this time, but did you go into advanced settings, in the system setting tab. You need to enable passthrough for audio, and check all the audio formats that your receiver can handle.
post #21550 of 22533 Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Yesterday I got notified of the new firmware update and I did it. This was the first time I did an update where after the update was completed you had to check or not check the boxes of three different things. I said no to two out of the three but said yes regarding the Smart TV part. Should I have said no to all three or should I have said yes to any of the other two?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k Universal Player
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo 5 Channel Amp
post #21551 of 22533 Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Yesterday I got notified of the new firmware update and I did it. This was the first time I did an update where after the update was completed you had to check or not check the boxes of three different things. I said no to two out of the three but said yes regarding the Smart TV part. Should I have said no to all three or should I have said yes to any of the other two?
I declined all three opt-ins, but that's a personal choice. It's entirely up to you.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; TiVo Roamio Pro/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H; Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55X950G,
Sony UBP-X800, TiVo Mini/DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #21552 of 22533 Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Sony ZD9 worth it in 2019?

All,

I have the possibility to buy a brand new unit (65 inch) for a bargain at a retail store. Since this model is 3 year old already I am in doubt to pull the trigger. At the moment I have a LG OLED B6 model.

What I am looking for is maximum HDR impact with Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. On the B6 it looks good, but I know HDR can be more impactful. What worries me is giving up the black level if I choose for the ZD9. Also I’ve read that DV content on this tv looks dim compared to the B6. So how much nits are we talking about exactly?

For content I only watch Netflix (DV) and UHD Blu-ray Discs. I also have a PS4 Pro with FIFA 19 and Red Dead Redemption.

Other choices would be a LG C9, but the picture quality doesn’t look that much better than my current B6.

Hoping to get some advise before I decide.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #21553 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 441
IMHO: still absolutely worth it over any current TV. I own two Z9Ds and I still don't feel the need to upgrade, not even to the Z9G (due to the fact the Z9D has the better BMD implementation).

The Z9D is a classic TV by now, over engineered and one of a kind, it's also the last (Sony) 3D TV made and still the best at what it does. It's the Kuro of LCD...

I currently don't use DV myself since I am not convinced it makes a huge difference on the Z9D when compared to regular HDR10 (with a few exceptions like The Meg and some encoding issues on certain titles when played in HDR10). FWIWI: I haven't compared it with the B6, but judging from what I did see in DV on the Z9D, it doesn't look dim to me at all. As for black level, it won't reach OLED black levels but it is probably the closest you can get with an LCD...
post #21554 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
All,

I have the possibility to buy a brand new unit (65 inch) for a bargain at a retail store. Since this model is 3 year old already I am in doubt to pull the trigger. At the moment I have a LG OLED B6 model.

What I am looking for is maximum HDR impact with Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. On the B6 it looks good, but I know HDR can be more impactful. What worries me is giving up the black level if I choose for the ZD9. Also I’ve read that DV content on this tv looks dim compared to the B6. So how much nits are we talking about exactly?

For content I only watch Netflix (DV) and UHD Blu-ray Discs. I also have a PS4 Pro with FIFA 19 and Red Dead Redemption.

Other choices would be a LG C9, but the picture quality doesn’t look that much better than my current B6.

Amazing that there are still a few brand new ones still out there! I think I can shed a bit of insight on this TV and how it compares to an OLED. I own both a 65” Z9D and an LG 55” C6 (have in different bedrooms). Initially I wasn’t expecting the Sony Z9D to hold a candle to the LG C6, but boy was I wrong! Yes, the C6 does have perfect blacks, but I was surprised to see just how black the Z9D gets. I mean IMHO it gets so close to OLED blacks that once you factor in the stellar HDR this TV delivers, I would say overall the Z9D is the superior TV.

I still use (and love) my C6, but I actually find myself watching the Z9D more often than the C6 due to just how amazing the HDR is on this TV! If HDR impact is what you’re after (along with excellent black levels) this TV delivers in spades! The Z9D is without a doubt the best looking TV I own period! I also own the Sony 940E, so I have some top TVs in the house. When it comes to HDR, the Z9D is in a league all it’s own. I can’t remember right off the exact nits, but I believe it’s around 1,800, so it gets plenty bright!

Now I can’t comment on the DV capabilities as I have never updated the firmware since I purchased the TV a year ago. But with HDR10 content, be it Netflix or 4K Blu-ray, the images this TV produces is simply jaw dropping. I really cannot brag enough on this TV. I just wish that Sony had made an 85” version of the Z9D, as that would have been my dream TV for my main theater room.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but I know I am extremely happy and a very proud owner of what has to be the finest LCD TV made to date.

Hope this helps.
RetiredandLovingIt likes this.

Last edited by ohyeah32; 07-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #21555 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
All,

If you want maximum HDR performance, then the Z9D is still the best. The black level you will be "giving up" (that's a stretch) is like 99% as good as an OLED (it hits the blackest black spec without crushing, and looks inky black to the eye with only the slightest negligigle amount of light bleed in the most torturous scenes), but with much better brightness control. Purists talk about faithful picture but they have no problem crunching 1,000 and 4,000 nit material into a 500 nit panel with ABL and aggressive tone mapping. The Z9D is more faithful from a picture perspective. The 65" has 648 dimming zones (each LED is individually controlled, so it's not even a real zone), that's insane.

I watch a ton of DV via Oppo 203 and internal apps. There is no dimness to it compared to HDR10, so not sure what you are referring to. DV looks just as great, and there's no way it's "dimmer" than a B6. Those people might have a setting mixed up and accidentally turned on BFI or something.

I also have a PS4 Pro, and gaming is amazing. The HDR impact on some of the top flight games is fantastic.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series

Last edited by pbz06; 07-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #21556 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
Amazing that there are still a few brand new ones still out there! I think I can shed a bit of insight on this TV and how it compares to an OLED. I own both a 65” Z9D and an LG 55” C6 (have in different bedrooms). Initially I wasn’t expecting the Sony Z9D to hold a candle to the LG C6, but boy was I wrong! Yes, the C6 does have perfect blacks, but I was surprised to see just how black the Z9D gets. I mean IMHO it gets so close to OLED blacks that once you factor in the stellar HDR this TV delivers, I would say overall the Z9D IS the superior TV.

I still use (and love) my C6, but I actually find myself watching the Z9D more often than the C6 due to just how amazing the HDR is on this TV! If HDR impact is what you’re after (along with excellent black levels) this TV delivers in spades! The Z9D is without a doubt the best looking TV I own period! I also own the Sony 940E, so I have some top TVs in the house. When it comes to HDR, the Z9D is in a league all it’s own. I can’t remember right off the exact nits, but I believe it’s around 1,800, so it gets plenty bright!

Now I can’t comment on the DV capabilities as I have never updated the firmware since I purchased the TV a year ago. But with HDR10 content, be it Netflix or 4K Blu-ray, the images this TV produces is simply jaw dropping. I really cannot brag enough on this TV. I just wish that Sony had made an 85” version of the Z9D, as that would have been my dream TV for my main theater room.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but I know I am extremely happy and a very proud owner of what has to be the finest LCD TV made to date.

Hope this helps.
It's obviously your decision. But, if you update the firmware and try DV; I believe you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770, Harmony Elite
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, FireTV Stick 4K, and Nvidia Shield TV Pro
post #21557 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
FYI, new firmware today:

Firmware update to v6.6520
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
Resolves an issue where the WiFi® connection fails after updating the TV software to Android™ 8.0 Oreo

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016213
Any feedback on this?
I'm still on some 2018 FW, and it's been fine, and since I don't use the internet on it - it's a monitor for my discs, I'm wary of upgrades..
post #21558 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
I dont know whats wrong with your eyes why you cant see the difference but it very obvious to me which is why a tv without doly vision is a deal breaker for me, take a look at this video so you can understand the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voePq29-U6M
My eyes are just fine and so are the eyes of the dozen or so other people who did this comparison with me. I knew two minutes in to Teoh's video that we are comparing apples to oranges. First, he is comparing the formats on an OLED, which is using a whole lot more tone mapping than an 1800 nit Z9D. Of course dynamic tone mapping would be of much more benefit on an 800 nit display. If you actually read my post, you would see I was comparing 2 Z9Ds run in tandem. Secondly, my edit clearly states that I was comparing Dolby Vision vs HDR10 streaming on Vudu, not on a 4k Blu-ray player. Lastly, a video comparison using OLEDs is of no benefit on a Z9D forum.
kee68 likes this.
post #21559 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark91962 View Post
My eyes are just fine and so are the eyes of the dozen or so other people who did this comparison with me. I knew two minutes in to Teoh's video that we are comparing apples to oranges. First, he is comparing the formats on an OLED, which is using a whole lot more tone mapping than an 1800 nit Z9D. Of course dynamic tone mapping would be of much more benefit on an 800 nit display. If you actually read my post, you would see I was comparing 2 Z9Ds run in tandem. Secondly, my edit clearly states that I was comparing Dolby Vision vs HDR10 streaming on Vudu, not on a 4k Blu-ray player. Lastly, a video comparison using OLEDs is of no benefit on a Z9D forum.
I'll speak for myself. I definitely prefer DV to HDR10 on the Z9D.

Of course, the two require different setups. If that isn't done properly, that could affect someone's perception.
mt14942 likes this.

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770, Harmony Elite
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, FireTV Stick 4K, and Nvidia Shield TV Pro
post #21560 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Any feedback on this?
I'm still on some 2018 FW, and it's been fine, and since I don't use the internet on it - it's a monitor for my discs, I'm wary of upgrades..
I noticed no change after updating to this latest firmware, so it probably does exactly what it says and just corrects a wifi bug. My set is hardwired to the router, so if there was an issue with wifi, I never saw it.
post #21561 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarys View Post
I noticed no change after updating to this latest firmware, so it probably does exactly what it says and just corrects a wifi bug. My set is hardwired to the router, so if there was an issue with wifi, I never saw it.
Same here. Installed it on my Z9D, 930E, and A1E and noticed no difference. They are all hard wired as well.
post #21562 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
All,

Count me as another the Z9D is still absolutely worth it. Especially if you want impactful HDR performance! There is no dimness with Dolby Vision.
post #21563 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
Count me as another the Z9D is still absolutely worth it. Especially if you want impactful HDR performance! There is no dimness with Dolby Vision.

Thank you all for the great responses. Glad to read also that this tv can handle DV from HDMI sources and is not dim. How about blooming and halo’s? How is the picture quality somewhat off axis (about 30 degrees left or right from the center)?

Is the sluggishness of the Android OS fixed or still buggy?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #21564 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Thank you all for the great responses. Glad to read also that this tv can handle DV from HDMI sources and is not dim. How about blooming and halo’s? How is the picture quality somewhat off axis (about 30 degrees left or right from the center)?

I haven't notices any blooming or halos on any of my 3 Sony TVs (75Z9D, 65Z9D, and 74X940E). I don't think the 30 degree off-axis viewing is an issue, though some may be more critical than I am. As for the OS sluggishness...well, I never really use any of the TV apps. My use of them is strictly as a monitor for my other devices.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #21565 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
Quote:
All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
If you want maximum HDR performance, then the Z9D is still the best. The black level you will be "giving up" (that's a stretch) is like 99% as good as an OLED (it hits the blackest black spec without crushing, and looks inky black to the eye with only the slightest negligigle amount of light bleed in the most torturous scenes), but with much better brightness control. Purists talk about faithful picture but they have no problem crunching 1,000 and 4,000 nit material into a 500 nit panel with ABL and aggressive tone mapping. The Z9D is more faithful from a picture perspective. The 65" has 648 dimming zones (each LED is individually controlled, so it's not even a real zone), that's insane.

I watch a ton of DV via Oppo 203 and internal apps. There is no dimness to it compared to HDR10, so not sure what you are referring to. DV looks just as great, and there's no way it's "dimmer" than a B6. Those people might have a setting mixed up and accidentally turned on BFI or something.

I also have a PS4 Pro, and gaming is amazing. The HDR impact on some of the top flight games is fantastic.
HDR10 and Dolby Vision regarding dimness is all about the Picture Mode Settings. @pbz06 hit the nail on the head referring to Black frame insertion (BFI) Sony calls BFI = (Clearness). (Clearness) is under the Sony Advanced settings: Motion: Motionflow . You set Motionflow to (Custom) and then you can adjust the Black frame insertion (BFI) under Sony's (Clearness setting to minimum) to turn off the BFI flicker that causes the Picture to darken. Once (Clearness) is off Dolby Vision depending on mastering , camera used for rendering / filming and resolution and digital intermediate used ; hopefully 4KDI. You will be blown away by the superb picture quality of the Dolby Vision image your eyes will be feasting on. @IMWhizzle pull the trigger on the Sony 65" Z9D .

My ST:TNG Pinball Machine Purchased new in 1996 .

rlb, ThePrisoner, pbz06 and 2 others like this.

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D | Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D |
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H | Front:Klipsch Epic CF-4 | Rear:Klipsch Epic CF-2 | Center:Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision | AppleTV-4K | PS4 | PS3 | XBOX 360 | Wii | Monster Power HTS3600 MKII surge protector Clean Power Stage 3

Last edited by RobKnapp; 07-22-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #21566 of 22533 Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Blooming and halos are controlled as well as any LCD to date, especially considering the excellent shadow detail offered, but don't expect the pixel level accuracy of an emmisive OLED display. 30° off-axis is about the limit for any but the latest LCDs, and the Z9D is no exception. The Oreo update to Android TV definitely improved the OS performance, but it's still not as smooth or responsive as the LG webOS you're used to. However, the HDR performance is so impactful it more than makes up for the few minor deficiencies I've noted. If you haven't already, check out https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d for in-depth technical information. You will absolutely love this TV.
post #21567 of 22533 Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
30 degrees off axis will have pretty severe blooming in hdr and moderate in sdr. I watch the office on the side couch and don’t care but if we are watching a movie i personally wouldn’t really enjoy it off axis

As others said the hdr performance more than makes up for any shortcomings and I agree
post #21568 of 22533 Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you all for your opinions. I almost bought the tv, but I didn’t. I’ve decided that I don’t want to give up on pure blacks and I like to game. Gaming on this tv doesn’t have a low input lag and YouTubed Whisper Status 77 and RTINGS say the same thing.

The best tv would be a waiting game unfortunately (microled), which will be out in approximately six years. In between I will buy a 77 inch OLED model. It will be the A9G or the LG C9, because 55 inch is just simply too small for my living room.

Again, thank you so much your all advise!
gdfein likes this.

Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #21569 of 22533 Old 07-12-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your opinions. I almost bought the tv, but I didn’t. I’ve decided that I don’t want to give up on pure blacks and I like to game. Gaming on this tv doesn’t have a low input lag and YouTubed Whisper Status 77 and RTINGS say the same thing.

The best tv would be a waiting game unfortunately (microled), which will be out in approximately six years. In between I will buy a 77 inch OLED model. It will be the A9G or the LG C9, because 55 inch is just simply too small for my living room.

Owning an OLED and the Z, you wouldn't be sacrificing that much in the blacks and would get better near black performance. Also if you still have the B6, the Z has lower input lag, unless you do sub-4K gaming.

Last edited by mutelight; 07-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #21570 of 22533 Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Wouldn't mind sharing the name of the retailer that still has this brand new would you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
flicker , sony xbr-75z9d , sync , XBR-65Z9D , xbr-940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page