OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please] - Page 745 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54631Likes

post #22321 of 22336 Old 02-15-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
I just bought this LCD screen cleaner and the package says either spray on cloth or TV. What would you guys recommend for the 75Z9D?
Do I go super light with cloth?
Do I do only circular motions?
Do I do it a couple times?
How do I store cloth at end to make sure it stays without debris for next time?

Thanks!
You don't need rocket science or special fluids really. I've been cleaning LCDs since they were popular in computer monitors which is a few years before they were in TVs with....

Soap and water. Seriously just get some Bounty, put it under running tap, squeeze it out a bit, add a few drops of Dawn, etc. and you're good to go. Just use common sense and don't use too much water--you don't want to have water leak into the frame and then eventually leak into the tab bonds where it will corrode and destroy the contacts and the TV. Wipe with a less damp paper towel (no soap, or just rinse out your first one 'cause Bounty is pretty tough) and then dry with a clean/dry MF or a cotton cloth/towel. As the other guy said use a "torch" (British term, lol, use a flashlight) to ensure you have no streaks.

I've been doing this since time immemorial to clean screens; obviously with LCDs you need to use less pressure and be much more gentle than the days of RPTVs or CRTs but I've never had a problem with this method. It's of course a lot more work to get a 65 or 75" screen totally streak free than a 24" computer monitor, lol.

Funny enough I just cleaned my Z9D a couple weeks ago...I cleaned it when I got it but forgot I handled it quite a bit when I repaired and later mounted it, and I also didn't do a "streak free" job the first time. I cleaned it this time and got it perfectly streak free and I actually got the DSE looking better because I guess some of it was actually caused by dirty screen haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
What a great TV this was, probably still the best LED made to date........
It's a great TV and a very interesting comment coming from someone that looks like they deal in TVs as their business! However if we talk about from a "for the time" standpoint, TBH, I was always most impressed with the XBR8 because...at the time...there were very few LCDs that were anything near it. Back in those days you still felt like XBR meant something, while these days so many models get the XBR name (including lame IPS X8x0Y sets) that it feels watered down.

Today there are so many good TVs out there and the difference between some of the "really good" offerings from TCL and Hisense and the upper-level Sony, Samsung, seems to be much less of a leap, yet the price difference can be a huge leap. I.e. there's a lot more bang-for-the-buck to be had in "lesser" TVs and the high-end seems more an elitist affair than a necessity for great picture.

Last edited by ES_Revenge; 02-15-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22322 of 22336 Old 02-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
You don't need rocket science or special fluids really. I've been cleaning LCDs since they were popular in computer monitors which is a few years before they were in TVs with....

Soap and water. Seriously just get some Bounty, put it under running tap, squeeze it out a bit, add a few drops of Dawn, etc. and you're good to go. Just use common sense and don't use too much water--you don't want to have water leak into the frame and then eventually leak into the tab bonds where it will corrode and destroy the contacts and the TV. Wipe with a less damp paper towel (no soap, or just rinse out your first one 'cause Bounty is pretty tough) and then dry with a clean/dry MF or a cotton cloth/towel. As the other guy said use a "torch" (British term, lol, use a flashlight) to ensure you have no streaks.

I've been doing this since time immemorial to clean screens; obviously with LCDs you need to use less pressure and be much more gentle than the days of RPTVs or CRTs but I've never had a problem with this method. It's of course a lot more work to get a 65 or 75" screen totally streak free than a 24" computer monitor, lol.

Funny enough I just cleaned my Z9D a couple weeks ago...I cleaned it when I got it but forgot I handled it quite a bit when I repaired and later mounted it, and I also didn't do a "streak free" job the first time. I cleaned it this time and got it perfectly streak free and I actually got the DSE looking better because I guess some of it was actually caused by dirty screen haha

It's a great TV and a very interesting comment coming from someone that looks like they deal in TVs as their business! However if we talk about from a "for the time" standpoint, TBH, I was always most impressed with the XBR8 because...at the time...there were very few LCDs that were anything near it. Back in those days you still felt like XBR meant something, while these days so many models get the XBR name (including lame IPS X8x0Y sets) that it feels watered down.

Today there are so many good TVs out there and the difference between some of the "really good" offerings from TCL and Hisense and the upper-level Sony, Samsung, seems to be much less of a leap, yet the price difference can be a huge leap. I.e. there's a lot more bang-for-the-buck to be had in "lesser" TVs and the high-end seems more an elitist affair than a necessity for great picture.
Like a lot of what you said. But using Paper Towels made of wood pulp on any LCD screen not covered by Glass is horrible advice and very bad practice.

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D. Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D.
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #22323 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Using paper towels does sound scary but yes on small amount of dish soap. Thats what I always used. Gonna clean my screen soon, noticed some dust build up and also noticed a small vertical band during some panning shot scenes. Maybe I can massage it down a little.
ES_Revenge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22324 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Distilled water sprayed on microfiber cloth
pilotart likes this.

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #22325 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Like a lot of what you said. But using Paper Towels made of wood pulp on any LCD screen not covered by Glass is horrible advice and very bad practice.
LOL this is pure FUD. The paper towels are wet here, they're not doing any "horrible" anything. Like I said I've been doing this for what is nearly 20 years now, and never damaged or or scratched a screen. Have also used the same to clean display windows on other electronics like VCRs, CD players, AVRs, etc. for more years than that.

This is how companies sell stuff like "screen cleaning solutions" and cloths, as if they are something special. But, if it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you didn't use paper towels, power to you!
post #22326 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw2814 View Post
Anyone here updated their 3d settings? I am still using settings from before last years software update, about a year before. Wondering if some new settings might remove that last bit of flicker I get.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.
you can go some pages back, not sure about the 65" but on the 75" some users bought other brand glasses and resolved the flicker 100%.

Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition, Sony UBP-X800
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, B&W 7.1 set, KEF Q50AB, Marantz TT-15S1, CA CXUHD, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
post #22327 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar panel issue like the one i noticed not too long ago (see attachment).
It's like there's three different vertical sections on my tv. Not super noticable unless you're dealing with a solid color picture or looking at it closely while watching tv but it's definitely there. I can post more pics than this if need be but just not sure what to do about it. It's out of warranty and just not sure what can be done by Sony or others.
Let me know!

*pic is a paused scene from Captain America 4K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 65Z9D panel1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	937.4 KB
ID:	2685864  

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
Oppo UDP-203
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Wii-U

Last edited by sarvic; 02-16-2020 at 04:18 PM.
post #22328 of 22336 Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
you can go some pages back, not sure about the 65" but on the 75" some users bought other brand glasses and resolved the flicker 100%.
I have the recommended 3d glasses. I bought 4 pair from amazon. Just thought that maybe some folks might have found some better settings. I use photo-vivid with a full list of other settings for 3d. Thought maybe after the last 2 software updates maybe a change in 3d settings could be in order.

If not it’s not a big deal. Just picked up Dial M for Murder in 3d and it got me thinking.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #22329 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Tv crashing/ freezing switching to input from Netflix?

Ok I rarely use the tv OS as I hate it (been a z9d OS hater now 4 years) and usually use my shield.

Anyway been watching some Netflix in Dolby vision. However every time I then switch in hdmi 2 or 3 I get a black screen. I have to do the 5 second green button down to reboot

Anyone see this? I don’t think I used Netflix on the tv since last upgrade

Arg - what an amazing TV and complete **** show of a burner phone CPu. Andoid tv on my 2015 nvidia shield is incredible .
Taxcheat likes this.

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #22330 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvic View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar panel issue like the one i noticed not too long ago (see attachment).
It's like there's three different vertical sections on my tv. Not super noticable unless you're dealing with a solid color picture or looking at it closely while watching tv but it's definitely there. I can post more pics than this if need be but just not sure what to do about it. It's out of warranty and just not sure what can be done by Sony or others.
Let me know!
Think this is just standard DSE. I have a single "kind of line in the background" like that, though a bit less pronounced, on mine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Happened to me for the first time yesterday! Netflix just "boot" to a black screen. I could exit and go back in, but just a black screen. Reboot the TV using the Restart option and Netflix went in immediately after startup. Seems to work fine after this though. Wonder if it was something on Netflix's side?

Now as for the CPU, yes it's not great but after some more research it seems this is par for the course for Android TVs. None of them really have a great SoC in them. My Hisense TV has a lower-end Mediatek and weirdly the menus are much more snappy but just try to use the menus while content (Netflix, Youtube, etc.) is playing and the content starts to skip frames/jump/stutter like crazy. Seems Sony at least prioritised video playback in their fw at the cost of menu sluggishness, because that never happens on the Sony. The best Android TVs are probably the latest Sony's with the upgraded SoC, which of course is still Mediatek but that's all there really is in this segment of products. Mediatek are actually the better processors for Android TVs, lol! Qualcomm seemingly does not make SoCs for this application as they seem to be more focused on cellphones and not non-radio-equipped devices.

If you're used to a Shield then yeah that's gonna be faster than any in-built SoC on any Android TV, it seems.
sjchmura likes this.
post #22331 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:

Ok I rarely use the tv OS as I hate it (been a z9d OS hater now 4 years) and usually use my shield.

Anyway been watching some Netflix in Dolby vision. However every time I then switch in hdmi 2 or 3 I get a black screen. I have to do the 5 second green button down to reboot

Anyone see this? I don’t think I used Netflix on the tv since last upgrade

Arg - what an amazing TV and complete **** show of a burner phone CPu. Andoid tv on my 2015 nvidia shield is incredible .
As of February 6, 2020
Netflix finally lets users turn off annoying auto-playing previews

This update well maybe causing a glitch in the Netflix application.
I have no facts on this update is causing issues, but wanted to bring to attention. It is a possibility.
Read about changes Here: https://nypost.com/2020/02/06/netfli...ying-previews/
shark91962 likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D. Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D.
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #22332 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarvic View Post
Let me know!

*pic is a paused scene from Captain America 4K
Bad panel. I would say that is a bit unreasonable from a banding stand point. How far out of warranty are you and how did you pay for it? If by credit card, your credit card company likely gave you an additional year warranty after the manufacturer warranty expired. So if you are within 2 years of purchase, you can probably get your CC company to pay for it. Likely they would just refund the purchase amount to the card you used. If you're beyond that, nothing can be done. Just try to ignore it and if you don't often notice it...don't worry about it.
chi_guy50 likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #22333 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I clean the screen with a micro fiber cloth and a alcohol water mixture.
post #22334 of 22336 Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Bad panel. I would say that is a bit unreasonable from a banding stand point. How far out of warranty are you and how did you pay for it? If by credit card, your credit card company likely gave you an additional year warranty after the manufacturer warranty expired. So if you are within 2 years of purchase, you can probably get your CC company to pay for it. Likely they would just refund the purchase amount to the card you used. If you're beyond that, nothing can be done. Just try to ignore it and if you don't often notice it...don't worry about it.
It was purchased from Best Buy on Dec 30, 2017 with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Would that be something that Best Buy would fix or would i have to deal with Sony Support? Usually I wouldn't worry so much about it except the main reason why i got this one was for the 3D playback.

Sony XBR-65Z9D
Denon AVR-X4400H
Oppo UDP-203
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Wii-U
post #22335 of 22336 Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Anyway been watching some Netflix in Dolby vision. [snip]
Get yourself a 2019 Shield to watch DV Netflix and you can unplug the garbage $5 we-spy-on-everything-you-do Sony CPU from the Internet forever.
sjchmura likes this.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #22336 of 22336 Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

Anyway been watching some Netflix in Dolby vision. However every time I then switch in hdmi 2 or 3 I get a black screen.
I've been watching "Narcos Mexico" season two and have not had a problem switching back from NF to any other input. What's awful are the open captions in Dolby Vision. They're blistering hot, and every episode is 90% English captioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
flicker , sony xbr-75z9d , sync , XBR-65Z9D , xbr-940d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page