OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please] - Page 751 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54749Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22501 of 22518 Old 05-23-2020, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 441
DTS-MA does not carry Atmos, only supported formats are DD+ and TrueHD.

Streaming platforms use DD+ for Atmos.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22502 of 22518 Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey888 View Post
Then what is the advantage of using the streaming device instead of just using the app on the TV and running it through the Arc to the receiver?
App support, speed, Atmos, and no need to screw around with ARC.
chi_guy50 likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #22503 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
theone26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Any Aussies here received the new v6.6555 update yet? It's supposed to be out in April 22nd 2020 but my automatic updater still couldn't detect one. Tried download it off to the USB but somehow the TV won't detect the extracted file. How does USB updating work anyway?
* OK turns out my USB drive was formatted as exFAT which is not supported on Z9D for firmware update despite it reads all my videos and photos. Tried FAT32 and it works perfectly.
RobKnapp likes this.

Display Sony 65"ZD9

Last edited by theone26; 05-24-2020 at 09:08 AM.
theone26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22504 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
theone26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 115
So I managed to update to the latest firmware but still couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, my Z9D doesn't have any DV modes in the Picture mode settings. I'm also using a Xbox One X for 4k UHD playback. What am I missing here?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
theone26 is offline  
post #22505 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
So I managed to update to the latest firmware but still couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, my Z9D doesn't have any DV modes in the Picture mode settings. I'm also using a Xbox One X for 4k UHD playback. What am I missing here?
The Xbox doesn't support Dolby Vision for discs, only streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu. Netflix also can't be bothered to make their console apps switch out of HDR even with SDR content.
theone26 likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #22506 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
So I managed to update to the latest firmware but still couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, my Z9D doesn't have any DV modes in the Picture mode settings. I'm also using a Xbox One X for 4k UHD playback. What am I missing here?
https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/h...dr-on-xbox-one

Open the Settings app on Xbox One.
Navigate to the Display & sound tab.
Select the Video output tile.
Select Video modes.
Enable the Allow Dolby Vision checkbox.
Restart your Xbox One console.

Hope this helps
theone26 likes this.
Indi is offline  
post #22507 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/h...dr-on-xbox-one

Open the Settings app on Xbox One.
Navigate to the Display & sound tab.
Select the Video output tile.
Select Video modes.
Enable the Allow Dolby Vision checkbox.
Restart your Xbox One console.

Hope this helps
That is to enable Dolby Vision for streaming apps but the Xbox doesn't support DV from 4K Blu-rays because they use two video streams with one being the 4K HDR10 base layer then a 1080p DV extension layer. The Xbox only accepts DV from single stream sources.
theone26 likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #22508 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
That is to enable Dolby Vision for streaming apps but the Xbox doesn't support DV from 4K Blu-rays because they use two video streams with one being the 4K HDR10 base layer then a 1080p DV extension layer. The Xbox only accepts DV from single stream sources.
Thank you for correcting.
Indi is offline  
post #22509 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mutelight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,452
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
Thank you for correcting.
No worries and wasn't trying to be pedantic but it is a shame that MS hasn't added support because their consoles make decent 4K BD players.
Indi likes this.
mutelight is offline  
post #22510 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
So I managed to update to the latest firmware but still couldn't get Dolby Vision to work, my Z9D doesn't have any DV modes in the Picture mode settings.
Also, there are no separate DV settings visible in Picture Settings. They only become visible if you send it DV signal.
theone26 likes this.
priitv8 is offline  
post #22511 of 22518 Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
theone26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Thanks guys, that cleared out a lot of things for me. Hope PS5 adds DV 4k disc support at launch since I'm too cheap to buy a separate DV capable Blu Ray player right now. Also saw some comparison on Youtube between DV and HDR10, it feels like you're sacrificing a lot of brightness for a more contrasty and black crushed look on DV from HDR10. How would people rate DV over HDR10 at this point?

Display Sony 65"ZD9
theone26 is offline  
post #22512 of 22518 Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone26 View Post
Thanks guys, that cleared out a lot of things for me. Hope PS5 adds DV 4k disc support at launch since I'm too cheap to buy a separate DV capable Blu Ray player right now. Also saw some comparison on Youtube between DV and HDR10, it feels like you're sacrificing a lot of brightness for a more contrasty and black crushed look on DV from HDR10. How would people rate DV over HDR10 at this point?
For me I am very happy with my Sony UBX700 DV performance on UHD blu rays . They are much more punchier and vibrant than HDR 10 for sure on Z9D. Also TV's built in Netflix and Disney+ apps Dolby Vision streaming are perfect picture quality for me.
theone26 likes this.
Indi is offline  
post #22513 of 22518 Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
The Xbox doesn't support Dolby Vision for discs, only streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu. Netflix also can't be bothered to make their console apps switch out of HDR even with SDR content.
Same is true for Windows app though I guess you could also blame Windows there because you have to set HDR to on ("globally") in order for HDR to become available in the app. But since Windows is then in HDR, it can't switch to SDR for stuff that isn't HDR. So gotta switch manually there too.



Also I don't think there's any way to get DV from PC at all, right?
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #22514 of 22518 Old 05-26-2020, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
They are much more punchier and vibrant than HDR 10 for sure on Z9D.
How come I do not see much difference? I would even say one needs to specifically look for differences, they are not strikingly obvious. Are you sure, your picture settings are the same for both modes (HDR10 and Dolby Vision). I have them equal, save for the brightness, to compensate for the well known drop in brightness in DoVi mode on Sony sets.
PS when you use the IINA player to look at the Dolby Vision enhancement layer on the bluray rips, you can see, that on many discs it contains only fixed full frame for the full feature duration, so they are practlically also just static. As with Dolby Atmos, a lot comes down to the mixing and mastering.
priitv8 is offline  
post #22515 of 22518 Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
How come I do not see much difference? I would even say one needs to specifically look for differences, they are not strikingly obvious. Are you sure, your picture settings are the same for both modes (HDR10 and Dolby Vision). I have them equal, save for the brightness, to compensate for the well known drop in brightness in DoVi mode on Sony sets.
PS when you use the IINA player to look at the Dolby Vision enhancement layer on the bluray rips, you can see, that on many discs it contains only fixed full frame for the full feature duration, so they are practlically also just static. As with Dolby Atmos, a lot comes down to the mixing and mastering.
Yea I agree. Although I don't have the Z9D anymore, there's no way I could agree with anybody that HDR10 is less punchy/contrasty than DV. If anything, most would say it's the opposite. But in my experience they are almost identical enough where it didn't matter.

And yes, most DV content is fixed with an enhancement layer on it. Very few are end to end full dynamic metadata...so beware of confirmation bias when people see obvious differences.
ES_Revenge likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is offline  
post #22516 of 22518 Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Visualisation of 2 DoVi clips. Top - static enhancement layer, bottom - EL as it is being advertised (dynamic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 08.23.17.png
Views:	48
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2732998  
pbz06 likes this.
priitv8 is offline  
post #22517 of 22518 Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,988
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
How come I do not see much difference? I would even say one needs to specifically look for differences, they are not strikingly obvious. Are you sure, your picture settings are the same for both modes (HDR10 and Dolby Vision). I have them equal, save for the brightness, to compensate for the well known drop in brightness in DoVi mode on Sony sets.
PS when you use the IINA player to look at the Dolby Vision enhancement layer on the bluray rips, you can see, that on many discs it contains only fixed full frame for the full feature duration, so they are practlically also just static. As with Dolby Atmos, a lot comes down to the mixing and mastering.
Yea I agree. Although I don't have the Z9D anymore, there's no way I could agree with anybody that HDR10 is less punchy/contrasty than DV. If anything, most would say it's the opposite. But in my experience they are almost identical enough where it didn't matter.

And yes, most DV content is fixed with an enhancement layer on it. Very few are end to end full dynamic metadata...so beware of confirmation bias when people see obvious differences.
Why did you get rid of your Z9D??

Sony 75Z9D (5.2.4) Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
Chirosamsung is offline  
post #22518 of 22518 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,240
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
Why did you get rid of your Z9D??
I had the 65" but when I moved to bigger house, it was too small for my bigger living room so I just wanted to upsize. Couldn't find any 75" Z's...I tried moving it to my guest room but it was too big in there. Sold it to a good friend so it is in good hands I now have 77 A9G.
RobKnapp likes this.
pbz06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
flicker , sony xbr-75z9d , sync , XBR-65Z9D , xbr-940d

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off