AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL Sony XBR-65Z9D Owner's Thread [no price talk please]

2M views 24K replies 993 participants last post by  LeeSoFl 
#1 ·
It's here!!

Just wanted to do a quick post for now. Spent about 15 minutes doing a quick eyeball calibration and the picture is gorgeous. Currently watching the DirecTV 4K feed of the Olympics. Looks excellent.

Upconversion of DirecTV's 1080 signal also looks very good. Blacks are terrific.

I have a lot more fine tuning to do later today, but so far, I'm very impressed with this display. I'll watch a 4K HDR disk a bit later.

Previous display was the Sony 950B, which, other than the lack of HDR, displays an incredible picture. It's very hard to compare to the Z9D from memory, but I think the blacks and shadow detail are better with the Z9D.

I'll try to post more later, but wanted to let everyone know that so far the set is a big thumbs up.

#5 ·
It's here!!

Just wanted to do a quick post for now. Spent about 15 minutes doing a quick eyeball calibration and the picture is gorgeous. Currently watching the DirecTV 4K feed of the Olympics. Looks excellent.

Upconversion of DirecTV's 1080 signal also looks very good. Blacks are terrific.

I have a lot more fine tuning to do later today, but so far, I'm very impressed with this display. I'll watch a 4K HDR disk a bit later.

Previous display was the Sony 950B, which, other than the lack of HDR, displays an incredible picture. It's very hard to compare to the Z9D from memory, but I think the blacks and shadow detail are better with the Z9D.

I'll try to post more later, but wanted to let everyone know that so far the set is a big thumbs up.
pics pics piiiiiiiiiiiics.....lol

#7 ·
I'd really appreciate if any owners can measure the input lag and/or confirm if game mode changes the backlight processing or anything like that. :) Looking forward to more impressions.
I second that. HDR input lag would be helpful as well :)

#15 ·
You first posted 50 minutes ago. Have you had a chance to count the number of LEDs? [j/k]

Congrats and enjoy!

#18 ·
congratulations

hope you don't mind I added [no price talk please] to the thread title

No problem at all.

About to go and do some fine tuning.

To answer a few questions...

I don't know what the operating system is (other than Android). I'm an iPhone person.

I have no idea how to measure input lag. I don't do any gaming.

I did put "65" in the title. I would think it's best to have separate threads to the 75" and the 100" set when they are released.

Haven't had a chance to check fast moving images, but so far, no motion issues.

I continue to be very impressed and pleased with the black levels. No blooming with bright white lettering on a black background. The white lettering was very sharp.

I did have the Sony XBR-65X930D for a while at the beginning of the year, but returned it. It wasn't nearly as good as my 950B. This set is definitely a keeper.

Extensive controls over picture (as those who know Sony are very familiar with). I think these will satisfy anyone's personal preferences as to how they want the picture to look.

Regarding pictures, well, to be honest, with rare exceptions, I haven't found them to be useful to illustrate the overall picture. When I first started up the set, a firmware update was available. During the update, there was white lettering on a dark background. Very sharp with no blooming, but the picture I took was completely unrealistic and would make the set look terrible. If I can take some decent images, I'll take them.

More later.

#20 ·
May I suggest changing the title to Sony XBRxxZ9D to avoid another thread when the 75" comes up ?
IMHO, I think there should be separate threads for each size. I did put 65 in the title. Maybe it should be more prominent. Moderator should feel free to change it if desired.