Vizio P-series(2016 model) for use as a PC monitor and for gaming - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #301 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Benjamin View Post
I infact do VERY well in TF2 along with other online stuff using 4. So I think I self compensate for a lot of that stuff. Thanks for the advice I will try computer.

What color spacing do you use for your xboxone?

Also what is FALD? *Feel dumb*

Edit. Holy crap just did the switch to computer and was for the first time 100% able to see all those stupid little blocks in the contract and brightness test!
FALD stands for full array local dimming. Basically it refers to the fact that Vizio has a bunch of LEDs behind the screen (128 in the P-series) that can be individually dimmed in order to create bright/dark contrast across the screen. So for example if there is a night scene with a fire burning the fire can be really bright while the sky is still pitch black. Most LCD TVs use edge lighting, so the backlight is constant across the entire picture (or some very limited local dimming in big vertical zones) and the LCD crystals do the job of trying to make the dark areas dark. This can lead to blacks being more grey in a scene with bright and dark elements and edge lighting can lead to some non-uniform brightness across the display (brighter near the edge lights and darker further away).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
FALD stands for full array local dimming. Basically it refers to the fact that Vizio has a bunch of LEDs behind the screen (128 in the P-series) that can be individually dimmed in order to create bright/dark contrast across the screen. So for example if there is a night scene with a fire burning the fire can be really bright while the sky is still pitch black. Most LCD TVs use edge lighting, so the backlight is constant across the entire picture (or some very limited local dimming in big vertical zones) and the LCD crystals do the job of trying to make the dark areas dark. This can lead to blacks being more grey in a scene with bright and dark elements and edge lighting can lead to some non-uniform brightness across the display (brighter near the edge lights and darker further away).
I have a goal to learn something new each day. You helped me achieve that before noon!

So it more or less sounds like different brightness applied to different things. Like The brightness of a fire in a corner will be a different brightness then the dark corner opposite it.
post #303 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I'll have to check, but I think it was set for automatic...?

Full Array Local Dimming. Also called "Active LED" on Vizio -- sorry, I should have used the local nomenclature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
Go a question for you two. Which color depth should I be using? 24 (8-bit), 30 (10-bit) or 36 (12-bit)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Infinite warfare on ps4 pro is not doing HDR on my p65....
post #305 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Apparently the game doesn't even have HDR. What a joke.
post #306 of 436 Old 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Benjamin View Post
Go a question for you two. Which color depth should I be using? 24 (8-bit), 30 (10-bit) or 36 (12-bit)
30 (10-bit) is the appropriate setting I believe.
post #307 of 436 Old 11-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I'm considering getting a P55-C1 for the living room (I already have the P50-C1 for my office/bedroom). However they seem to be out everywhere, including Amazon. And have been for a few months. Does anyone know if Vizio is obsoleting the P-series already?
post #308 of 436 Old 11-25-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey guys, I have been a plasma guy forever. Really considering a P-series with these weekend price drops. It will be mainly used for gaming. I have an Xbox one S and PS4 Pro. I have this one question that is making me crazy but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance with LCDs and 4K displays.

So besides the one HDMI port, if I am right, these models are able to do 2160p @30Hz .

PS4 Pro already has "enhanced Pro" games that do 1080p @60 frames a second.

If this content is being sent to the 4K display will the frames per second be limited to 30?

And does the PlayStation Pro upscale the content on its own and then the TV accepts it? Or would the Vizio upscale any 1080p content if that's all the PS4 software is limited to?

Again, I apologize with all these questions.
post #309 of 436 Old 11-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
No price talk or retail links outside of the designated Deals' areas!

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #310 of 436 Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post
Hey guys, I have been a plasma guy forever. Really considering a P-series with these weekend price drops. It will be mainly used for gaming. I have an Xbox one S and PS4 Pro. I have this one question that is making me crazy but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance with LCDs and 4K displays.

So besides the one HDMI port, if I am right, these models are able to do 2160p @30Hz .

PS4 Pro already has "enhanced Pro" games that do 1080p @60 frames a second.

If this content is being sent to the 4K display will the frames per second be limited to 30?

And does the PlayStation Pro upscale the content on its own and then the TV accepts it? Or would the Vizio upscale any 1080p content if that's all the PS4 software is limited to?

Again, I apologize with all these questions.
This display can accept and display up to 4K @ 60Hz.

The PS4 Pro can output upscaled 1080p non-Pro and Pro games to 4K, or you can set the Pro to output 1080p and have the TV upscale. Your choice.
post #311 of 436 Old 11-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
This display can accept and display up to 4K @ 60Hz.

The PS4 Pro can output upscaled 1080p non-Pro and Pro games to 4K, or you can set the Pro to output 1080p and have the TV upscale. Your choice.

Thanks for the info. General consensus I am reading with the P series is that the ps4 has a better scaler, no?
post #312 of 436 Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. General consensus I am reading with the P series is that the ps4 has a better scaler, no?
I do my PC and Xbox One @ 1080p/60 on HDMI 5, and think it looks great. Sub 1080p might not be as good, but totally happy with 1080p upconvert to 4K on this display.
post #313 of 436 Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You definitely want to let the Pro upscale your games for you, the Vizio will likely suffer from some processing lag if you let the TV upscale instead. Not sure the P-Series attempts to upscale games by default... just use the 'Game' mode on the Vizio and let the PS4 Pro do its thing.
post #314 of 436 Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
The PS Pro's scaler is better than the internal scaler on the P. Tested with some non-Pro enabled games and The Pro's scaler was sharper.

Mad Lust Envy
post #315 of 436 Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just bought this TV and need a little clarification.

I'm not understanding the difference between HDMI 1-4 and HDMI 5 as it related to Game Mode. I have an original PS4.

Does HDMI 5 port take the 1080p output from the PlayStation game or Blu-ray movie and upscale to 4k resolution?

What happens if I hook my PS4 up to HDMI 1-4 and run Game Mode? What the difference?

Trying to figure this out as I have a 4k receiver / 7.1 and would only be able to use 1 input on the P75 (AVR to TV). Not keen on using arc.

I want to be able to use YouTube 4k and other streaming sources. Wonder how to do that on the TV with arc and having it run through my receiver

Last edited by ffactoryxx; 11-27-2016 at 12:40 AM.
post #316 of 436 Old 11-27-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeyer View Post
You definitely want to let the Pro upscale your games for you, the Vizio will likely suffer from some processing lag if you let the TV upscale instead. Not sure the P-Series attempts to upscale games by default... just use the 'Game' mode on the Vizio and let the PS4 Pro do its thing.
There is little to no lag difference between the console and the TV scaling to 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I'm not understanding the difference between HDMI 1-4 and HDMI 5 as it related to Game Mode. I have an original PS4.

Does HDMI 5 port take the 1080p output from the PlayStation game or Blu-ray movie and upscale to 4k resolution?

What happens if I hook my PS4 up to HDMI 1-4 and run Game Mode? What the difference?

Trying to figure this out as I have a 4k receiver / 7.1 and would only be able to use 1 input on the P75 (AVR to TV). Not keen on using arc.

I want to be able to use YouTube 4k and other streaming sources. Wonder how to do that on the TV with arc and having it run through my receiver
The difference between Vizio's HDMI 1 through 4 and HDMI 5 inputs with a standard PS4 (non Pro) would be lower lag on input 5. If you want to run everything on input 1-4, the lag is fine for most people and games.

Another method would be to run the PS4 straight to input 5 via HDMI, and run optical from the old PS4 to the receiver. If you have PS4 Slim model, which doesn't have optical, you can run the optical from the TV to the receiver.

Good luck!
post #317 of 436 Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Just bought this TV and need a little clarification.

As DaverJ said, the main difference you'll notice (or not) between HDMI 1-4 and HDMI 5 is the amount of lag between inputting a command and seeing that command reflected on screen. You can expect ~20ms of lag on HDMI 5 and ~45-60ms of lag on HDMI 1-4 (due to additional processing requirements on the first four ports); honestly, I can't tell much of a difference. HDMI 5 only supports HDMI 1.4, HDMI 1-4 support 2.0+; while HDMI 5 supports 4K @ 30 FPS, it does not support HDR, meaning you'll need to use HDMI 1-4 to take advantage of HDR features (and higher frame rate 4K).

Regarding upscaling, I believe all sources below 4K are upscaled to 4K by the TV's internal processor. Not sure what delays exist here if any, again I did not notice a delay increase switching from my PS4 @ 1080p to the PS4 Pro @ 4K using the same HDMI port. As I mentioned in a previous post, just use the 'Game' mode (or any mode so long as 'Game Low Latency' is enabled) and you will be fine.

For ARC, I have actually had a relatively good experience with it. My only issue is that the soundbar / speakers seem to have a ~1-2 second turning on delay when an audio source starts, but it's not a huge deal, and I believe it is the fault of my speakers as opposed to ARC. I imagine you'll need a way to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver at the same time to support the audio setup you want, perhaps try utilizing a Logitech Harmony remote or something similar?
DaverJ likes this.
post #318 of 436 Old 12-12-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So HDMI 5 accepts 4k/60 at 4:2:0, but won't do 4k RGB, or 4k 4:2:2 or HDR like input 1-4.

On the PS4 Pro, if you set the res to auto, HDMI 1-4 will select 4:2:2 for HDR, and RGB for SDR.

On HDMI 5 you don't get a choice and are stuck with YUV 4:2:0. A shame. Shouldn't be a noticeable issue on most things, but there may be times when the inferior chroma subsampling will rear its head compare to RGB or 4:2:2.

I'm undecided. I'm not gonna use HDR (because I prefer to have Clear Action on over HDR... Can't have both) so I would've liked RGB for HDMI 5.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 12-12-2016 at 05:55 AM.
post #319 of 436 Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
So HDMI 5 accepts 4k/60 at 4:2:0, but won't do 4k RGB, or 4k 4:2:2 or HDR like input 1-4.

On the PS4 Pro, if you set the res to auto, HDMI 1-4 will select 4:2:2 for HDR, and RGB for SDR.

On HDMI 5 you don't get a choice and are stuck with YUV 4:2:0. A shame. Shouldn't be a noticeable issue on most things, but there may be times when the inferior chroma subsampling will rear its head compare to RGB or 4:2:2.

I'm undecided. I'm not gonna use HDR (because I prefer to have Clear Action on over HDR... Can't have both) so I would've liked RGB for HDMI 5.
Sounds about right.

If you want highest amount of color and HDR, use input 1-4 everything on auto.
If you want lowest (fastest) input lag, use input 5 everything on auto.

The key is to actually try each with your favorite games to compare the differences, ignoring what you expect to like. If you don't use HDR (currently limited to a handful of games), then input 5 @ 4K YUV420 with GLL=on still looks fantastic in gaming, despite perceived limited color levels.

Also, if you haven't seen this, it's old but still worth a read. The Q/A section at the bottom has usual info about color levels and gaming:
http://referencehometheater.com/2014...ll-vs-limited/
post #320 of 436 Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh I understand all that. I was basically just reaffirming what is known, but may not be widespread knowledge.

I'm hoping Vizio pushes an update that allows Clear Action to work in HDR mode. I need this more than anything else, atm. I simply don't like the display's properties without Clear Action when I'm gaming. So having HDR+Clear Action would just be swell.

Mad Lust Envy
post #321 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also think PC gamers here with this display (or any 4K display) owes it to themselves to also try custom resolutions in case your games don't quite hit 4k/60. You can try setting a custom res of 3840x1600), for an Ultrawide 1600p image on your 4k displays without any scaling. You'll just have the movie standard black bars. The reduction in pixel count could then possibly push your fps closer to 60, if you were struggling before. Assuming you have a good gpu, of course.
My testing has found every resolution with the exception of 1080 and 2160 is limited to 30Hz. I've tried display scaling and adapter (GTX1070) scaling. Even if the desktop is set at 1080p or 2160 @ 60Hz with the adapter scaling, games set for anything but those two resolutions will max at 30fps.

Any ideas..?
post #322 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have a P50 and just got my first console in years...Xbox S. Playing Battlefield Online. Using HDMI 5. Game Picture Mode. ALED ON. GLL ON. CLEAR ACTION ON. All other settings at default except changed color temperature from Computer to Normal. Was this a mistake?

Also set color depth to 36 on Xbox One S. Is this the best setting?

Is there a calibration setting for Game Mode like there is for Calibrated Mode? Thanks!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!

Last edited by MCF34; 01-04-2017 at 01:29 PM.
post #323 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post
All other settings at default except changed color temperature from Computer to Normal. Was this a mistake? Is there a calibration setting for Game Mode like there is for Calibrated Mode?
Many settings like color temp, sharpness, etc.. have little impact on input lag, so adjust it to what looks best for you.

I would stay away from adjusting the TV's brightness, contrast, and color because those will probably throw the game IQ out of wack. However, adjust backlight to make the screen brighter or darker to taste. Also, if you are playing a dark game and can't see details in the black areas, you might want to go up (lower number) on the gamma.

Unlike movies, games don't really have specific color calibration. The most important things in games is brightness, and the better games will have a slider in-game to calibrate, allowing you to keep the TV at default settings.
post #324 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Many settings like color temp, sharpness, etc.. have little impact on input lag, so adjust it to what looks best for you.

I would stay away from adjusting the TV's brightness, contrast, and color because those will probably throw the game IQ out of wack. However, adjust backlight to make the screen brighter or darker to taste. Also, if you are playing a dark game and can't see details in the black areas, you might want to go up (lower number) on the gamma.

Unlike movies, games don't really have specific color calibration. The most important things in games is brightness, and the better games will have a slider in-game to calibrate, allowing you to keep the TV at default settings.
Thanks! I accidentally adjusted the brightness last night when I meant to adjust the backlight. Is brightness default setting 50? BTW, I hate using the f'n sliders on the phone or tablet to adjust settings....just wanted to throw that out there - they always move 1-2 away from where I want it and it takes multiple tries to get it right.

post #325 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post
Thanks! I accidentally adjusted the brightness last night when I meant to adjust the backlight. Is brightness default setting 50? BTW, I hate using the f'n sliders on the phone or tablet to adjust settings....just wanted to throw that out there - they always move 1-2 away from where I want it and it takes multiple tries to get it right.
Pretty sure brightness is default at 50, but it might depend on the mode..? Might want to return the setting to default just the best sure.

I also am not a fan of the tablet. FYI, instead of using the slider on the tablet, try tapping the number. This should bring up a +/- to raise or lower the value by a single digit per tap.
post #326 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure brightness is default at 50, but it might depend on the mode..? Might want to return the setting to default just the best sure.

I also am not a fan of the tablet. FYI, instead of using the slider on the tablet, try tapping the number. This should bring up a +/- to raise or lower the value by a single digit per tap.
Awesome!!! Thanks for the top on touching the number!!!!!! Best tip of week!

post #327 of 436 Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Xbox S fan starts to run the second I turn it on even if in menu. Normal? Also the fan has a slight hum rather than just whooshing. Can just hear about 6' away. Normal or bad fan?
post #328 of 436 Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My testing has found every resolution with the exception of 1080 and 2160 is limited to 30Hz. I've tried display scaling and adapter (GTX1070) scaling. Even if the desktop is set at 1080p or 2160 @ 60Hz with the adapter scaling, games set for anything but those two resolutions will max at 30fps.

Any ideas..?
Well, my laptop is limited, and can't do 4K/60.

But if you're on an NVdia GPU, you have to go to the Nvidia control panel, go to change resolution, then customize, and then set a custom resolution. There, you can create your own resolutions anbd refresh. As long as you hit either the width or heigh of the display, you should be able to do any resolution. Since thisd is a 3840x2160 display, you can change to something odd like 3840x1234 if you wanted, and it would work. I'd advise to do 3840x1600 for the true ultrawide resolution (this is the ultrawide resolution of 3840 monitors sold today). You could even do stuff like 2160x2160. Again, it all works as long as the max width or height remains the same. One has to be maxed.

But yes, I can only do 4k/30 on my laptop, so I can only test stuff like 3840x1600 at 30hz.

I can at the very least do 1920 at any random height res like 810 for 1920x810 ultrawide. That's just 810p though, but it will look Blu-Rays in Ultrawide. No scaling.

Once I upgrade, I expect to do everything at 60hz.

You can see the black bars.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 01-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.
post #329 of 436 Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Well, my laptop is limited, and can't do 4K/60.

But if you're on an NVdia GPU, you have to go to the Nvidia control panel, go to change resolution, then customize, and then set a custom resolution. There, you can create your own resolutions anbd refresh. As long as you hit either the width or heigh of the display, you should be able to do any resolution. Since thisd is a 3840x2160 display, you can change to something odd like 3840x1234 if you wanted, and it would work. I'd advise to do 3840x1600 for the true ultrawide resolution (this is the ultrawide resolution of 3840 monitors sold today). You could even do stuff like 2160x2160. Again, it all works as long as the max width or height remains the same. One has to be maxed.

But yes, I can only do 4k/30 on my laptop, so I can only test stuff like 3840x1600 at 30hz.

I can at the very least do 1920 at any random height res like 810 for 1920x810 ultrawide. That's just 810p though, but it will look Blu-Rays in Ultrawide. No scaling.

Once I upgrade, I expect to do everything at 60hz.

You can see the black bars.
Yeah, I'm considering getting a new MacBook Pro because my current one can't even do 1080p at 60fps. Makes it a real pain in the @ss while watching youtube.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #330 of 436 Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hello all, been awhile since I've posted in this thread. Vizio P65 owner. Just picked up a nvidia 1080gtx formally 7950 in crossfire. My only options on input 5 1080p 120fps are 8 bit not 10 bit chroma with limited or full. I performed clean install of operating system (prior gpu was amd card). Didn't improve situation. In addition, it's still a major pain to update drivers on input 5 just like the amd card. Switched input to 2 before installation of driver would complete itself. I thought these were only amd issues. It turns out in my case these are vizio problems. On a positive note, I shouldn't have waited so long to upgrade card. The 1080 is smooth as butter playing Witcher 3 on ultra settings @ 120 fps.

Btw, all refresh rates with 1080p only show 8bit ycbr 420 and 8 bit full or limited. No options for 10 bit or 12 bit on input 5. On input 1 to 4 the options are 8 bit and 12 bit for 1080p. No 10 bit support. Does Anyone else receive 10 bit support with a nvidia 10 series card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page