Vizio P-series(2016 model) for use as a PC monitor and for gaming - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #61 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 6
What are the recommended settings on an XB1S for the P series as I am planning to set mine up this weekend so any input is always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
If you purchase a receiver with dual outputs you could have the best of both worlds. Hdmi 1 for movies and Hdmi 5 for games...
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #63 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
Thanks, so yea it seems like a dedicated player will be the easiest option for now and later when HDR gaming has a chance to take off, ill worry about upgrading the console. Ill let the tv handle the 4k upscale coming from the xb1/tivo now
I don't understand the obsession over HDMI 5 for low input lag concerns. I used to obsess over HDMI 5 vs HDMI 1 because of [email protected] fps and HDR. But once I found out 1080p @ 120 fps works on HDMI 1, my setup is easy.

Regarding low lag, I and my kids have never noticed input lag on HDMI 1.
I agree as far as console games go but with a mouse in my opinion it is very noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Hey terablaze - the lag info in sticky 1 is incomplete.

I assume the first number is the port number, but not sure what the last "on" and "off" is referring to - maybe GLL?
Ok, I think it's fixed. Thanks for letting me know.
post #65 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
HDMI VersionPorts 1-4 support v2.0 (upgrade 2.0a coming soon); Port 5 supports v1.4
HDCP VersionPorts 1- 4 supports: v2.2; Port 5 supports: v2.0

I was referring to the HDMI version, not HDCP. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote:
Those quotes have nothing to do with HDMI port 5. HDMI port 5 is compatible with HDMI ver1.4, but not limited to it.

FACT: the specs for HDMI ver 1.4 have the max resolution at 4k @ 30fps
FACT: Vizio's P-series HDMI port 5 can display 4k @ 60fps (confirmed by multiple users)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Celery View Post
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...1.4,27117.html

They are probably doing something similar.
I posted in the official p-series thread a couple of weeks ago in regard to that article hard_celery mentioned. Apparently Nvidia has been able to push [email protected] over HDMI 1.4. I asked if perhaps that was why it was working for me, but most people seemed pretty confident that HDMI5 is 2.0, with 1.4 compatibility. Now I'm concerned, because the new consoles coming soon are 4k, and I believe they're using AMD graphics. Is there any way that I could confirm this for myself? What else can send a [email protected] signal besides an nvidia graphics card?
post #66 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

So yesterday I started noticing a bit of light bleed coming in from the bottom on my P55. I didn't think it was a big deal, but then today I saw that it had expanded overnight. As of right now, it's something I can live with, but I'm concerned about it getting worse before the return policy is up. So i just want to know... is it typical for this to happen after 2 weeks of use with this set? Does this indicate a problem that will gradually worsen?
post #67 of 436 Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
If you purchase a receiver with dual outputs you could have the best of both worlds. Hdmi 1 for movies and Hdmi 5 for games...

Has anyone got this to work fine using both HDMI 1 and HDMI 5 along with ARC for casting? I have a Denon X2200 and when I have both plugged in it seems to default to only HDMI 5 working and ARC not working at all. It's weird because I can sometimes jumble enough settings on and off to get it working for a bit but after I turn everything off its all broke again.
pcp7 likes this.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #68 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Be easier/cheaper to just buy an active display port to hdmi adapter.
post #69 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

I brought up the receiver with dual outputs because of having several sources needing either low lag or hdcp 2.2. As far as club 3d displayport adaptor , I have used one myself on input 5 . For some reason I would constantly receive black outs. I took adaptor off and use 1080p 120fps exclusively on input 5.
post #70 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terablaze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
HDMI VersionPorts 1-4 support v2.0 (upgrade 2.0a coming soon); Port 5 supports v1.4
HDCP VersionPorts 1- 4 supports: v2.2; Port 5 supports: v2.0

I was referring to the HDMI version, not HDCP. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote:
Those quotes have nothing to do with HDMI port 5. HDMI port 5 is compatible with HDMI ver1.4, but not limited to it.

FACT: the specs for HDMI ver 1.4 have the max resolution at 4k @ 30fps
FACT: Vizio's P-series HDMI port 5 can display 4k @ 60fps (confirmed by multiple users)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Celery View Post
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...1.4,27117.html

They are probably doing something similar.
I posted in the official p-series thread a couple of weeks ago in regard to that article hard_celery mentioned. Apparently Nvidia has been able to push [email protected] over HDMI 1.4. I asked if perhaps that was why it was working for me, but most people seemed pretty confident that HDMI5 is 2.0, with 1.4 compatibility. Now I'm concerned, because the new consoles coming soon are 4k, and I believe they're using AMD graphics. Is there any way that I could confirm this for myself? What else can send a [email protected] signal besides an nvidia graphics card?
Yes, with club 3d adaptor, I was able to achieve 4k @60fps with amd 7950''s in crossfire. With an active displayport there is not an option for subs ambling. I do know it was either 420 or 422 not 444 on input 5. In my eyes with games and movies I can't see the difference between 422 and 444 only while reading text.....BTW on inputs 1 to4 with same same setup, received 444 4k @60 fps.
post #71 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Quote:

Has anyone got this to work fine using both HDMI 1 and HDMI 5 along with ARC for casting? I have a Denon X2200 and when I have both plugged in it seems to default to only HDMI 5 working and ARC not working at all. It's weird because I can sometimes jumble enough settings on and off to get it working for a bit but after I turn everything off its all broke again.
I personally do not own a dual output receiver but other owners with newer receivers seem to be not having issues. I have a denon 2112 which is only HDMI 1.4. From day 1, when switching TV or receiver inputs something would go wrong. I turn off each source before moving on to the next one. This issue might have been fixed in firmware update. I am so used to my above process, never checked.
post #72 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, should have asked first time responded, what specifically does not work with input 5 and arc. Arc is only supposed to work with items connected to input 1. As far as casting goes with arc, I gave up awhile ago and added a optical cable between TV and receiver for dolby digital. I know Vizio is aware of arc issues with denon and Marantz. I do not know if a fix will ever come to fruition.
post #73 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Sorry, should have asked first time responded, what specifically does not work with input 5 and arc. Arc is only supposed to work with items connected to input 1. As far as casting goes with arc, I gave up awhile ago and added a optical cable between TV and receiver for dolby digital. I know Vizio is aware of arc issues with denon and Marantz. I do not know if a fix will ever come to fruition.
My issue with the s910w was EDID related. When switching between monitor 1&2 in the Denon and then the P65 HDMI inputs, i'd get a black screen. Rebooting seemed to work. Too involved for my kids and wife though.

Regrading ARC. My new 910 is OK, the old 700 was not.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #74 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suii View Post
What are the recommended settings on an XB1S for the P series as I am planning to set mine up this weekend so any input is always appreciated.
I just picked up an Xbox-One S.

I found a few video's on Youtube that can help get things started. Don't have time to find and link them now, but search for them (they helped me with the basics). I'll try to add what I've learned about audio to my sound bar and video settings on the weekend.
DaverJ likes this.

Vizio P65-c1
Vizio SB4551-D5
Nvidia Shield Android TV Update 3.2
Xbox-One S
post #75 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah sorry I didn't do a great job of explaining that. So on the Denon X2200 I have Monitor 1 hooked to HDMI 1 and Monitor 2 hooked to HDMI 5. The only time I use ARC is for casting.

So when I have both cables plugged in as above I turn my TV on to "Cast" and turn my receiver on to "TV Audio" I don't get any audio, but if Itheb unplug the cable from HDMI 5 I get audio just fine.

I also can't get get video on HDMI 1, it only works on HDMI 5 even though it is sent to "Dual(Auto)" for HDMI output.

So I'm just curious if someone has got this setup to work properly and that it's either a messed up setting I'm not seeing or if something of mine is broken.

post #76 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Yes, this is working for me using Quick Select. Qs1 with only hdmi1 output enabled and Qs2 with only hdmi2 enabled.

As you experienced dual output has HDCP issues when one is hdmi 1.4 and the other is 2.0.
DaverJ likes this.
post #77 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
My Xbox OneS is having handshake issues only at 4K. Anyone else had this problem? I have a p50.
Direct in or going through an AVR?
I assume you tried swapping cables?

Is true color on or off?

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0

Set an example:
Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even those who are rude to you...
Not because they are nice, but because YOU are. :)
post #78 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_B View Post
Yes, this is working for me using Quick Select. Qs1 with only hdmi1 output enabled and Qs2 with only hdmi2 enabled.

As you experienced dual output has HDCP issues when one is hdmi 1.4 and the other is 2.0.

Sorry if you already said this, but do you use ARC? I tried setting up this before and got kind of confused on how to use Quick Select for TV audio and HDMI1, is it possible to set TV audio as a quick select? Also what would happen if you have more devices than quick selects allow, are you SoL?

post #79 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry if you already said this, but do you use ARC? I tried setting up this before and got kind of confused on how to use Quick Select for TV audio and HDMI1, is it possible to set TV audio as a quick select? Also what would happen if you have more devices than quick selects allow, are you SoL?
Yes, I use ARC but only for casting. Everything else goes through the X2200W.

Each Quick Select has it's own Video Monitor Settings, which is it what we need to take advantage of because dual output doesn't work on mismatched HDMI ports.

QS1 sets the video output to only Monitor 1 and the Game input and this is connect to P65 HDMI-1.
QS2 sets the video output to only Monitor 2 and the Game input and this is connect to P65 HDMI-5.
QS3 could be used to switch to TV audio input I suppose, but it seems like a waste of a quick select.

I just hit the TV button on the remote when I switch the P65 to casting. (Before the latest P65 firmware my x2200w would automatically go to the TV input when I switched to Cast input which was nice)

As far as running out of quick selects, that depends on your setup. There are only 4 to play with.
Bahn Yuki and DaverJ like this.
post #80 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Andrew, I was curious if you have a pc connected to your Vizio. I am looking to upgrade when new amd cards come out this fall. Not a amd fan boy just want to keep all my options open. Also, I own an older denon 2112 that is not hdmi 2.0 compliant. I play all games off of input 5 1080 120 fps. Long story short to make that work had to connect audio to motherboard for lossless and video from gpu straight to Vizio input 5. I will be purchasing neo or Scorpio and would like to connect additional items to input 5. Just wondering how you or anyone else is utilizing dual outputs with gaming and video options....
post #81 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Hi Andrew, I was curious if you have a pc connected to your Vizio. I am looking to upgrade when new amd cards come out this fall. Not a amd fan boy just want to keep all my options open. Also, I own an older denon 2112 that is not hdmi 2.0 compliant. I play all games off of input 5 1080 120 fps. Long story short to make that work had to connect audio to motherboard for lossless and video from gpu straight to Vizio input 5. I will be purchasing neo or Scorpio and would like to connect additional items to input 5. Just wondering how you or anyone else is utilizing dual outputs with gaming and video options....
I was in the same spot as you a few months back and couldn't see a solution that didn't involve a receiver upgrade.

I wanted to be able to play PC and Xbox on either HDMI-1 or HDMI-5.

I upgraded my old Denon 3808 to a x2200 (good clearance prices) a few months back because of this.

My PC is still running an ancient geforce 760, so no 4k gaming for me yet. 4k support is limited to 30fps so I just send a 1080p signal to the P65.

Right now I am leaning towards picking up a geforce 1070, but I'm also looking at the new AMD cards too.
post #82 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback. My 2 7950s in crossfire won't cut it anymore. Hopefully we can see some price declines when amd offerings come out...
post #83 of 436 Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Exclamation Fake 4:4:4 chroma issue

Quote:
btw: what exactly is the 4:4:4 chroma issue? I don't think I had any problems with that on inputs 1-4.
For anyone not familiar with the issue, search for "4:4:4" on the following page: http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

Has the fake 4:4:4 chroma issue been at least acknowledged by Vizio anywhere? This is literally the only thing holding me back from buying the P55, I absolutely require true 4:4:4 because of editing photos, and yes I sit only a couple of feet away so text would be an issue as well. It seems more like a bug on their part than anything deliberate, so I hope they fix it so I can buy what looks like an awesome TV/monitor otherwise.

As a side note I really hope it becomes available at U.S. Costco locations soon!!
DaverJ and pcp7 like this.
post #84 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Oh boy now this is my type of thread! Here's a snippet of my Vizio D40u in my new cabinet!

Oh this is a P-series thread? Well my P75 would be a bit too large for an arcade cabinet. Both TVs are compatible with the OSSC's line triple mode as shown here:

Anyway enough with the videos, I've been going back and forth between the TVs and while contrast is superior on the P75, I feel the game's a bit less blurry and felt better on the D40u. Could it be because I'm sitting 2ft away vs 8ft? Perhaps I'll have to do more testing. If anyone is doing lag tests I'd like to see which methods you're all using.
Chuck666 and DaverJ like this.

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
post #85 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn Yuki View Post
Oh boy now this is my type of thread! Here's a snippet of my Vizio D40u in my new cabinet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GWnhenVmo

Oh this is a P-series thread? Well my P75 would be a bit too large for an arcade cabinet. Both TVs are compatible with the OSSC's line triple mode as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcFt8WNAIw

Anyway enough with the videos, I've been going back and forth between the TVs and while contrast is superior on the P75, I feel the game's a bit less blurry and felt better on the D40u. Could it be because I'm sitting 2ft away vs 8ft? Perhaps I'll have to do more testing. If anyone is doing lag tests I'd like to see which methods you're all using.
Hi Bahn, I do not own the D series vizio just a P65. I use for pc gaming but my sons use it with thier consoles. 1 of my teenage sons is very good at online fps with an xbox 1. He tells me that he loves the P65 but prefers his 32 inch set for competitive uses because the screen is smaller and easier to react to( it takes less time for your eyes to travel across the screen) whatever is on the screen if that makes sense. I used to use gaming monitors when playing pc games before I moved the pc to large screen tv's so I do agree with him. I am no longer a competitive player so I prefer the immersive feeling of the large screen over the reaction of the smaller screen. Hope that helps...
Bahn Yuki and DaverJ like this.
post #86 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I got my GTX 1060 in yesterday! I didn't get a chance to hook it up to my P50 yet, I was mostly just testing overclocks and trying out a few games. I'm looking forward to connecting it to the P50 this weekend and will report back on the experience. So far I'm very impressed with the performance I'm getting--if you can snag a 6GB model for around $250 it's a pretty phenomenal value in my opinion.
DaverJ likes this.
post #87 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 4043
Quote:
Originally Posted by St0chastic View Post
I got my GTX 1060 in yesterday! I didn't get a chance to hook it up to my P50 yet, I was mostly just testing overclocks and trying out a few games. I'm looking forward to connecting it to the P50 this weekend and will report back on the experience. So far I'm very impressed with the performance I'm getting--if you can snag a 6GB model for around $250 it's a pretty phenomenal value in my opinion.
What games are you playing?

I'm currently in the new Deus Ex game - putting the extra memory on the 10-series GTX to use with the high-res textures. Looks great on the Vizio P50.
post #88 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
What games are you playing?

I'm currently in the new Deus Ex game - putting the extra memory on the 10-series GTX to use with the high-res textures. Looks great on the Vizio P50.
I will definitely have to pick up the new Deus Ex in the next Steam sale. I hear it's quite the system pusher! So far I've only tried moderately demanding games (Overwatch, the Doom demo, Assetto Corsa, Forza Apex, the new Unreal Tournament). My old Radeon 7850 could run all of these, but I had to dial back the quality settings heavily and would still get dips below 60 FPS. The 1060 handles them at 1080p without breaking a sweat.
post #89 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Any PC gamers try Tomb Raider in HDR yet? I own the game, but I haven't been able to determine how to implement it or confirm if it's an option that has been added.

https://developer.nvidia.com/impleme...se-tomb-raider
DaverJ likes this.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon x1500H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #90 of 436 Old 08-26-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Any PC gamers try Tomb Raider in HDR yet? I own the game, but I haven't been able to determine how to implement it or confirm if it's an option that has been added.

https://developer.nvidia.com/impleme...se-tomb-raider
It has not been added yet. I would expect to see it when they add the extra content later this year the same time the game hits PS4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page