AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Samsung KU7000 (Issues - Questions - Tips) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2551889-samsung-ku7000-issues-questions-tips.html)

tamanaco 08-17-2016 12:21 PM

Samsung KU7000 (Issues - Questions - Tips)
 
I didn't find a thread "specific" to this model, so maybe this thread can be used as a KU7000 series reference.

Given all the positive feedback I read... I almost bought last year's 40" JU71000 for $1,200 from B&H, but I couldn't justify the extra $550. Instead, I bought the 40" KU7000 for $650. So far; I'm happy with my decision, but I have a couple issues and some questions.

I already updated the firmware to the latest version available (1121), but this didn't fix the issue(s) I'm experiencing. My Time Warner Cable box ( Motorola DCX2510-M) is connected to the TV to the HDMI1 port via a HDMI Switch.

Issues:

Whenever I setup the TV using the "Start Setup" I'm able to select TWC as cable provider after I select that my providers is not on the list. Once the setup is done, I have noticed that for some reason (sometimes) the TWC icon disappears and it's replaced by the ChromeCast Icon. This happens without changing the source in the HDMI switch. If I use the ChromeCast icon edit option to change the setting, I can only change it to Cable Box or other devices. There is no option to select TWC like it exists on the "Start Setup". Is anyone else experiencing this? (Edit: Not happening any more for some reason)

Even while configured correctly (TWC Icon present in the launcher) pressing the "Extra" button in the remote lists a bunch of providers, but not TWC. After selecting that the provider is not listed and entering my zip code, TWC still does not show up. Could it be that TWC is not a "fully" supported provider or do I need a specific TWC Cable Box? I also noticed that after pressing the "Extra" button a small icon with the word "Extra" in it will appear every once in a while on the upper right corner.

Questions:
To prevent the Soap Opera Effect I turned off "Auto Motion Plus" is there any other setting that I should change to improve the picture quality in this model?

I'm sure this is WAD, but is it possible to have both the built-in speakers and external Bluetooth speakers work simultaneously? (Edit: See my answer two posts below)

While on this subject, is there a recommended sound bar for these Samsung TVs with down-facing speakers? (Nothing fancy - Samsung branded and inexpensive)

I noticed that once in a while the Launcher displays icons on the left (between the Search & Channels icons) for Hulu and other providers (Advertisement) is there a setting to prevent these from popping up?

Is the SmartTV software in this model a recent release? A couple family members and friends have year or more older Samsung SmartTVs, but the interface is completely different. Can this new version be applied to older TVs or is this a version specific to newer Samsung TVs that come with with the Smart Remote?

Where is the ambient light sensor located?

Edit: The specs say that it has Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) - Is it Bluetooth 4.0 compliant?

BTW, Besides the Smart Remote and Universal remote I also using a Logitech K400r keyboard via a Logitech Unifying Adapter connected to USB1 - Works fine. (EDIT: After a subsequent firmware update the Logitech keyboard stopped working)

Thanks.

c in LA 08-22-2016 05:06 PM

My 49" KU7000
 
Re lower price soundbar I am satisfied with Samsung HW-K360.

Re settings, I am satisfied with movie, with backlight - 20, brightness 37, contrast - 100, color- 50, tint - g44-r56. Sharpness - 83.

tamanaco 08-23-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c in LA (Post 46241057)
Re lower price soundbar I am satisfied with Samsung HW-K360.

Re settings, I am satisfied with movie, with backlight - 20, brightness 37, contrast - 100, color- 50, tint - g44-r56. Sharpness - 83.

Thanks for your reply... I'll give the settings you suggest a tried.

BTW, I found that one can have BT Speakers and the TV speakers working simultaneously, but you get a little bit of an echo effect due to the BT signal delay. Using BT headphones with the TV speakers simultaneously works fine. You can find the Multi-output Audio setting under Settings -> More... -> System -> Accessibility and Scroll down to find the Multi-output Audio option.

I'm also not experiencing the issue with the TWC icon being replaced by the Chromecast icon any more. Fingers crossed.

tamanaco 09-06-2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamanaco (Post 46124105)

Issues:

Even while configured correctly (TWC Icon present in the launcher) pressing the "Extra" button in the remote lists a bunch of providers, but not TWC. After selecting that the provider is not listed and entering my zip code, TWC still does not show up. Could it be that TWC is not a "fully" supported provider or do I need a specific TWC Cable Box? I also noticed that after pressing the "Extra" button a small icon with the word "Extra" in it will appear every once in a while on the upper right corner.

This must have been fixed at the Samsung source recently. Now pressing then "Extra" button in the remote and selecting settings and entering my zip code... now displays several TWC sources under "TV Service Provider". After selecting the appropiate TWC source for my area "Time Warner Cable HD Manhattan Digital" the "Extra" button functions are now working as expected.

tamanaco 09-29-2016 10:53 AM

My Samsung UN40KU7000F just pop up a notification informing me that firmware version 1133 is available. The TV is currently running firmware version 1121. Has anyone installed this update? If so, can you tell us what's new and improved with this new version?

EDIT: Took the plunge and installed firmware version 1133, but I can't find any differences. The update did not reset any of my settings.

I had an online chat with support to find out what was new and improved with this firmware release and all they could tell me was... "The Firmware will improve the user accessibility, app performance, browser performance, stability of input devices".

tamanaco 09-29-2016 02:34 PM

With firmware 1133 the HDR+ Mode option is now under Special Viewing Mode for HDMI 1 - I don't think it was there before.

tamanaco 10-30-2016 04:59 AM

Updated my KU7000 to firmware 1142 (1142.1). With this firmware update, as per Samsung notification, the Channels option on the Home menu is being removed to make room for future services. What those "future" services are... who knows?

Chris Dotur 11-11-2016 01:06 AM

I bought two of these, one a 65" for the living room, and the other a 55" for the master bedroom. Working pretty well so far. My first foray into HDR.

See if I got this right, though. It looks like HDR is only supported on HDMI 1, is this correct?

My 4k BD player (Xbox 1 S) was saying "Your TV is not capable of HDR" when I connected it to HDMI 2. One obscure reference in the eManual implied that HDR sources should be connected to HDMI 1. Switched the player to HDMI 1, and now it says its working. (I can't see a performance difference yet, have tried "Life of Pi" and "Sicario" UHD discs)

The setting of "HDMI UHD Color" under Video>Expert Settings can also only be turned on for HDMI 1, not 2 or 3.

On that note, I can't figure out what "HDR+ Mode" does under Special Viewing modes.

Seems odd that the TV would only support HDR on one HDMI source and not the others.

tamanaco 11-14-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dotur (Post 48100817)
I bought two of these, one a 65" for the living room, and the other a 55" for the master bedroom. Working pretty well so far. My first foray into HDR.

See if I got this right, though. It looks like HDR is only supported on HDMI 1, is this correct?

My 4k BD player (Xbox 1 S) was saying "Your TV is not capable of HDR" when I connected it to HDMI 2. One obscure reference in the eManual implied that HDR sources should be connected to HDMI 1. Switched the player to HDMI 1, and now it says its working. (I can't see a performance difference yet, have tried "Life of Pi" and "Sicario" UHD discs)

The setting of "HDMI UHD Color" under Video>Expert Settings can also only be turned on for HDMI 1, not 2 or 3.

On that note, I can't figure out what "HDR+ Mode" does under Special Viewing modes.

Seems odd that the TV would only support HDR on one HDMI source and not the others.

Yes, my understanding is that this Samsung TV series supports HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth, but it's only available on HDMI1. Same here with HDR+ mode... I did not notice any difference

chanfle98 11-20-2016 04:41 PM

I Was An Early Adopter Of The Ku7000

chanfle98 11-20-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanfle98 (Post 48325361)
I Was An Early Adopter Of The Ku7000

Sorry About The Double Post, i Was An Early Adopter Of The Ku7000 And Have Encountered Many Annoying Issues, some Of Which Have Been Fixed By Firmware Updates:

- NeTflix Failing To load
- Missing Source Icons
- soundbar Hooked Up through Optical Keeps Playing Sound After The Set Is Turned Off
- Youtube Is Hit Or Miss When Trying To Cast From Android Phone
- Only One Hdmi Port CompatiblE With HDR
- And the Latest Annoyance, enabling Hdr+ For Cable Box Looks Great, but After A While, dont Know WhaT Triggers It, but The Colors Go Crazy. Blue Menu Items Start To Look Pink And the OnlY Way To Fix It Is By Disabling/re-enabling HDR+ Mode.

Sorry About Formatting, but This Forum Doesnt Play Nice With Android.

tamanaco 11-22-2016 09:25 AM

Yesterday firmware 1150 for the KU7000 became available in my area NYC. I just updated to firmware 1150 from 1142, but I still have not found any differences. Has anyone found any differences between these two releases? The Vudu app did work with 1142 and it still doesn't with 1150. I get an error that reads: "Error - Please wait a moment and try again" whenever I try to start the app.

allornothing 11-23-2016 08:54 AM

Just pulled the trigger on the KU7000 40" only size that would fit in my wall unit. It was black Friday price plus I had a coupon from BB from a previous purchase, got it for a little over $400. Haven't seen a calibration thread, does anybody have any settings to use.


Any thoughts would be appreciated.


Happy Thanksgiving!

c in LA 11-27-2016 07:33 AM

Try movie, backlight 20, brightness 37, contrast 100, sharpness 83, color 52, tint g44

allornothing 11-28-2016 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c in LA (Post 48481441)
Try movie, backlight 20, brightness 37, contrast 100, sharpness 83, color 52, tint g44



Thanks C I'll try them when I get home tonight. Played with it all weekend and haven't been happy with the movie setting for some reason, it's like theres a screen over it very dull and unclear. I've been watching it on natural especially for hockey and it seemed ok. Lot's of green push and watching Netflix gotham had ton's of black crush I need to get rid of.


Thanks Again

tamanaco 12-05-2016 06:51 AM

I just updated my UK7000 to firmware version 1154. I used the firmware image available at samsung.com and installed via a USB stick. So far, I have not found any new features or noticed any bug fixes.

I was hoping that this firmware update was going to fix the issue with the Smart Remote. The remote is able to turn "On" and navigate the menus of my Motorola DCX3510 -M cable box from TWC (Now Spectrum)... but it can't turn the cable box "Off".

Please post any differences (new features or bug fixes) that you find with this 1154.0 firmware update on this thread.

The releases notes published with the firmware update look like the same canned notes from previous updates:

Version 1154.0
Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices

Jeff Merheb 12-18-2016 02:43 PM

Do you recommend the 50KU7000 for PC gaming?
Or better wait for next year offers on SUHD?
Actually using the good sony 40w600b 1080p TV

bailorg 12-30-2016 07:59 AM

Does this TV support PCM/stereo output through the digital audio out?

Can I use something like this product to hook the TV up to my stereo receiver?
Digital to Analog Audio Converter

Relevant language from the page:
"Supports 2-channel PCM (stereo) audio input signals only


IMPORTANT NOTE! This device will NOT decode 5.1-channel signals. It will ONLY convert 2-channel digital stereo (PCM) input signals to analog stereo output. This will not work with TVs that only output 5.1-channel digital signals!"

spaced0g 01-03-2017 03:49 PM

Anyone having issues with CEC / Anynet+ with this TV? I just bought one yesterday to replace my 2009 model Samsung Series 6 and it won't recognize any of my CEC devices. CEC / Anynet was working just fine with my old Samsung and I didn't change anything with cables or settings, literally just swapped out the TV and went into the same HDMI ports.

I see no options in the menus to do a search or scan for Anynet+ devices. I've also tried directly plugging in one CEC device only and did a full factory reset and still see any CEC / Anynet+ devices. Anynet+ is turned on and I'm used to seeing a search / discover / scan option in the Anynet+ menus, but this TV shows nothing?

tamanaco 01-03-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaced0g (Post 49522545)
Anyone having issues with CEC / Anynet+ with this TV? I just bought one yesterday to replace my 2009 model Samsung Series 6 and it won't recognize any of my CEC devices. CEC / Anynet was working just fine with my old Samsung and I didn't change anything with cables or settings, literally just swapped out the TV and went into the same HDMI ports.

I see no options in the menus to do a search or scan for Anynet+ devices. I've also tried directly plugging in one CEC device only and did a full factory reset and still see any CEC / Anynet+ devices. Anynet+ is turned on and I'm used to seeing a search / discover / scan option in the Anynet+ menus, but this TV shows nothing?

Spaced0g, what firmware version is your TV running? My is running 1155.0. Versions prior to 1154.0 had extrange issues with CEC. The Samsung implementation of CEC / Anynet+ is still not very robust on this series even after the 1155.0 firmware update. Also, make sure that you're connecting to HDMI 1 as the other HDMI ports do not support all the enhanced HDMI features.

spaced0g 01-04-2017 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamanaco (Post 49530465)
Spaced0g, what firmware version is your TV running? My is running 1155.0. Versions prior to 1154.0 had extrange issues with CEC. The Samsung implementation of CEC / Anynet+ is still not very robust on this series even after the 1155.0 firmware update. Also, make sure that you're connecting to HDMI 1 as the other HDMI ports do not support all the enhanced HDMI features.

Hrmmm...I'm on 1154 which is the only available firmware for my particular model...until...wait..they just released 1160.6 in the last few hours today. I'll have to give that a try. I noticed that HDMI 3 is listed as the ARC HDMI port so I thought maybe that would be better enabled for CEC?

tamanaco 01-04-2017 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaced0g (Post 49534385)
Hrmmm...I'm on 1154 which is the only available firmware for my particular model...until...wait..they just released 1160.6 in the last few hours today. I'll have to give that a try. I noticed that HDMI 3 is listed as the ARC HDMI port so I thought maybe that would be better enabled for CEC?

Spaced0g, what's the exact model of your TV and where are you located?... The model of my TV is UN40KU7000FXZA and I'm located in the US. I updated my TV to firmware 1154.0 by downloading the firmware from the Samsung Support site and using a USB stick. The update to 1155.0 was done from the Software Update function within the setting of the TV. As far as I can see, 1154.0 is still the current version available for download from the Samsung Support site. How and from where are you getting the 1160.6 update?

spaced0g 01-04-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamanaco (Post 49535145)
Spaced0g, what's the exact model of your TV and where are you located?... The model of my TV is UN40KU7000FXZA and I'm located in the US. I updated my TV to firmware 1154.0 by downloading the firmware from the Samsung Support site and using a USB stick. The update to 1155.0 was done from the Software Update function within the setting of the TV. As far as I can see, 1154.0 is still the current version available for download from the Samsung Support site. How and from where are you getting the 1160.6 update?

UA49KU7000SXNZ is my model. I just updated to 1160.6 which is on the NZ and AU sections of the samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/nz/tvs/uhd-ku...A49KU7000SXNZ/

So after many hours of playing around I have managed to occasionally get CEC to respond when using HDMI 3 only. HDMI 1 seems to be a total no-go no matter what I do. The biggest problem now seems that Samsung is doing a terrible job of handling the switch between different CEC devices with my Apple TV 4 doing a good job of taking priority when I don't want it to. The real goal here is to control a KODI based media player (running on Odroid-C2 which is like a RaspberryPi) via CEC. This worked perfectly on my 2009 Samsung TV.

Previous Samsung's had an option in the Anynet+ menus where you could manually search or scan for new devices. As best I can tell this ability has been removed which is a real problem because there is no way to force the KU7000 to search and attach to a particular CEC device? If I had that feature I would probably be fine.

Right now I've got it working sometimes, but if I switch to the Smarthub or any other source and then back to HDMI3 I lose control of that CEC device and it only seems that some sequence of rebooting the device and/or the TV allows it to get control again (haven't quite figured out if there is a particular sequence that works reliably).

Suffice to say, this new implementation of CEC by Samsung absolutely sucks. I've spent 8 hours messing around with it already.

tamanaco 01-04-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaced0g (Post 49551665)
UA49KU7000SXNZ is my model. I just updated to 1160.6 which is on the NZ and AU sections of the samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/nz/tvs/uhd-ku...A49KU7000SXNZ/

So after many hours of playing around I have managed to occasionally get CEC to respond when using HDMI 3 only. HDMI 1 seems to be a total no-go no matter what I do. The biggest problem now seems that Samsung is doing a terrible job of handling the switch between different CEC devices with my Apple TV 4 doing a good job of taking priority when I don't want it to. The real goal here is to control a KODI based media player (running on Odroid-C2 which is like a RaspberryPi) via CEC. This worked perfectly on my 2009 Samsung TV.

Previous Samsung's had an option in the Anynet+ menus where you could manually search or scan for new devices. As best I can tell this ability has been removed which is a real problem because there is no way to force the KU7000 to search and attach to a particular CEC device? If I had that feature I would probably be fine.

Right now I've got it working sometimes, but if I switch to the Smarthub or any other source and then back to HDMI3 I lose control of that CEC device and it only seems that some sequence of rebooting the device and/or the TV allows it to get control again (haven't quite figured out if there is a particular sequence that works reliably).

Suffice to say, this new implementation of CEC by Samsung absolutely sucks. I've spent 8 hours messing around with it already.

I guess APAC countries get the firmware updates earlier than North America. I heard that the Korean market also has the same 1160.6 release available for download. I'll wait until the North America support servers get updated with the next release. I'm afraid that if I install the firmware from a different market and messes up my TV... I won't have a leg to stand on if I need to use my warranty to fix it. Yes, the CEC implementation on this TV is wack... I can turn "on" my TV and cable box simultaneously with the Smart remote that shipped with the TV, but I can only turn "off" the TV with it. The cable box stays on.

tamanaco 01-08-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamanaco (Post 49557857)
I guess APAC countries get the firmware updates earlier than North America. I heard that the Korean market also has the same 1160.6 release available for download. I'll wait until the North America support servers get updated with the next release. I'm afraid that if I install the firmware from a different market and messes up my TV... I won't have a leg to stand on if I need to use my warranty to fix it. Yes, the CEC implementation on this TV is wack... I can turn "on" my TV and cable box simultaneously with the Smart remote that shipped with the TV, but I can only turn "off" the TV with it. The cable box stays on.

I just downloaded and installed firmware version 1160.6 from here. It did not fix the CEC issue of not turning off my cable box. Can't tell what's new with this release as you only get the "same" canned released notes that accompany every new release
- Version : 1160.6
- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices

spaced0g 01-14-2017 11:37 AM

Well, after 1 week with my KU7000 I finally realized I could not accept the amount backlight bleed happening on my new TV considering that my 8 year old Series 6 had no bleeding / flashlight effect at all.

Had to take it back to the store, have them send it back to Samsung and wait for Samsung to evaluate it (NZ customer service is terrible, even though it was less than one-week old, the store refuses to do a straight exchange and, instead, makes you go through a drawn-out RMA process). 6 days later Samsung confirms that yes, it has bleed, and that is a manufacturer defect and gives the store clearance to give me a brand-new one.

Take it home yesterday and install it and watch it last night. And it is even WORSE than the first one.

Am I asking too much? Is backlight bleeding just how all these edge-lit LED TVs look now? Or did Samsung send out a whole batch of bad ones to NZ and all the ones in stock here are faulty?

Either way, I'm taking it back to the store and just asking for my money back entirely. I'm at the end of the 14-day return policy so if keep it, I'm stuck with it. Sadly, I got this for $1600 on a New Year's sale and the regular price is now back to $2100 so even if it is a bad batch and I wait for the stock to clear out, I'll now have to spend $2100. More than anything, I just don't have the time to waste on this.

Here's what I'm seeing on the new one.

http://i.imgur.com/pWqRsUE.jpg

tamanaco 01-19-2017 11:07 AM

Today Samsung pushed firmware 1162 to my KU7000 - I was not setup for automatic updates so I had to agreed to the update before it installed. I have not found any new features.

I think this release fixes the BT issue that I had pairing and connecting my BT headphones. Now when I turn the BT headphones on... the TV shows a pop up to connect to the headphones right away. I just have to click OK.

Not fixed: The Smart Remote still turns on the TV and TWC Cable box, but it only turns off the TV.

Spaced0g, yeah... return it. If they want to replace it with another one, make sure that you don't walk out of the store until they open the box and test it for you. Your post is from 5 days ago, so you probably did something about this issue already.

NEO3N 02-01-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamanaco (Post 50029569)
Today Samsung pushed firmware 1162 to my KU7000 - I was not setup for automatic updates so I had to agreed to the update before it installed. I have not found any new features.

I think this release fixes the BT issue that I had pairing and connecting my BT headphones. Now when I turn the BT headphones on... the TV shows a pop up to connect to the headphones right away. I just have to click OK.

Not fixed: The Smart Remote still turns on the TV and TWC Cable box, but it only turns off the TV.

Spaced0g, yeah... return it. If they want to replace it with another one, make sure that you don't walk out of the store until they open the box and test it for you. Your post is from 5 days ago, so you probably did something about this issue already.

how did you connect your BT headphones? i don't have the option at all! even the "wireless speaker manager" is greyed out in settings... moreover, i accessed the service menu and it shows the BT as not supported even though it is enabled... i'm confused!

tamanaco 02-08-2017 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO3N (Post 50398601)
how did you connect your BT headphones? i don't have the option at all! even the "wireless speaker manager" is greyed out in settings... moreover, i accessed the service menu and it shows the BT as not supported even though it is enabled... i'm confused!

I just noticed this question. With my KU7000 to initially pair my BT Headphones I navigated to Full Settings->Sound->Click Select Speaker->Bluetooth Audio then I paired the BT Headphones/Speaker (while in pairing mode) and connected them. After the BT Headphones/Speakers have been paired and connected, at least once, all I have to do is turn them on whenever I want to use them. (Make sure that your BT Headphone/Speaker is not currently paired to another device that's turned on) Once turned on, a pop up on the TV asks me if I want to connect to them. If the pop up doesn't show, I can connect to them by going to Quick Setting and clicking on the TV Speaker icon once or by going to Full Settings->Sound->Click Select Speaker->Select the "paired" headphones and click connect. I'd admit that once in a while I have to un-pair them and pair them again in order to connect.

tamanaco 02-26-2017 07:52 PM

Updated my KU7000 with 1165.0 via USB Stick. So far, everything appears to be working fine. The issue with the Anynet+ (HDMI CEC) turning on the cable box, but not turning it off still remains.
Same canned release notes from the Samsung download page:

Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices (Canned for all releases)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.