**Official** 2016 Sony X750D/X700D Series Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
**Official** 2016 Sony X750D/X700D Series Owner's Thread

Manufacturer Page: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...d-x700d-series
Sony Official Specifications: https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications
Rtings Review: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x750d
Display Specifications: http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/bb595c9

XBR-65X750D Specifications
Display: 64.5 in
Panel Technology: IPS
Backlight: Direct LED (No local dimming)
Brightness: 350 cd/m2
Static Contrast: 1000:1
Native Resolution: 3840x2160
Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
SoC: X1 (Mediatek MT5891)
CPU: 4 x ARM Cortex-A53
GPU: ARM Mali-T860 MT2 (Dual Core)
Storage: 8 GB
Dimensions: 1463 x 852 x 80 mm
Network: LAN + Wifi

XBR-55X700D Specifications
Display: 54.6 in
Panel Technology: TBD
Brightness: TBD
Static Contrast: TBD
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
SoC: X1 (Mediatek MT5890)
CPU: 2 x ARM Cortex-A17
GPU: ARM Mali-T624
Storage: 16 GB
Dimensions: 1245 x 730 x 78 mm

XBR-49X700D Specifications
Display: 48.5 in
Panel Technology: TBD
Brightness: TBD
Static Contrast: TBD
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
SoC: X1 (Mediatek MT5890)
CPU: 2 x ARM Cortex-A17
GPU: ARM Mali-T624
Storage: 16 GB
Dimensions: 1107 x 651 x 78 mm

Living Room: Samsung UN65KS8000FXZA
PC Monitor: Sony XBR-43X800D
Receiver: Denon AVR-S720W
Sources: HTPC | PS4 | PS3 | Xbox 360 | Xbox | Dreamcast
Control: Logitech Harmony 650

Last edited by oRSpetsnaz; 09-13-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I just pulled the trigger on one of the 65" sets today on eBay's deal of the day. I went and played with one at Best Buy and while it wasn't as pretty as the higher end ones, it still looked very nice. It is my understanding that HDR is going to be added in via a firmware update, but I can't find anything that says whether or not this has happened yet. What do you guys think? I wish this had quantum dots like some of the higher end models, but it was hard to argue with the price.

post #3 of 45 Old 09-13-2016, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I took delivery of my 65X750D today. Initial thoughts is that it's decent. The black level is not good, especially in a dark room. The viewing angle is good and the color is good. The speakers aren't as bad as I thought they were going to be, but I'm going to use some big Mitsubishi floor speakers I have and my Onkyo receiver for sound either way. I had to manually update the firmware with USB, as I was getting the problem I had with my X800D where if I tried to auto-update over the internet, it would just search forever. Now that the update is installed, it can check for new updates with no problems. Overall, I am happy with the TV for the price I paid. It was a nice upgrade over my DLP Mitusbishi 73". I yearn for the day when OLED becomes a mid-range price technology.

Interestingly, the SoC in it is the same one that is in my 43X800D. They are both the same Mediatek MT5891 SoC, which as I understand it is the X1 processor. This is contrary to Sony's documentation and the specs on displayspecifications.com. Here are some screenshots from Aida64 showing this:

Last edited by oRSpetsnaz; 09-13-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased my x750d in early August (2016) and was fortunate enough to catch 2 price drops during my 30 day pricematch guarantee. Final price was $1198 (US)....so I'm pleased with my purchase.

I do have a questions for the forum.

One source of minor irritation is the channel guide.
The EULA is a bit concerning (yea, I'm weird, I read those things), but I'll save that discussion for another time.

The major irritation is that one must be online (WiFi or ethernet) to get the OTA channel guide info. I get that...especially for the updated content...and to participate in "liking" programming for social media (which I don't participate in).

What I don't get is that the channel guide (software) can't use the broadcaster's OTA programming information without having to be online. Even several channels that DO have broadcasting OTA program info, don't show up in the online guide (LAFF network, Bounce network, Escape network).

That said, I found TitanTV (from another thread in the forum) wish seems like a good programming guide.

The built-in Sony programming guide (WiFi) says it has info provided Gracenote.....so I'm curious. Since TitanTV has an Android app, could it be installed and used instead of Sony's software.....similar to what one would use a different app on an Android cell phone (ie, using Firefox browser in lieu of Chrome)....so that when I press the "Guide" button on the remote, it pulls up the TitanTV app in lieu of Sony's (Gracenote?) guide.

Any thoughts? Opinions?
Has anyone tried this? (changing default apps)

Thanks to everyone in advance......
post #5 of 45 Old 10-20-2016, 02:47 PM

A quick message to fellow X750d users (and probably X700d also).

The last (most recent) firmware update added a "DirecTV Ready" app & menu item for input.
Since I don't subscribe to DirecTV, the link is useless to me....and possibly irritating to some.

While searching for a solution, I found a Reddit forum mentioning the recent update.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I also noticed that this updated also added the "DirecTV Ready" app, which is an RVU client. It lets you access DirecTV service and full HD DVR functionality without a receiver... kind of like the software equivalent of a Genie Mini. I'm not a DirecTV subscriber, but I thought that was pretty cool."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found a setting in the menu where you can show or hide the various input....and thanks to the Reddit forum, I didn't realize the "RVU client" listed there is the "DirecTV Ready" reference. Select that item to "hide" and the input menu is as it was previously.

As for the DirecTV app itself, I can find where it can be "force stopped" and the notifications disabled, but not where the app can itself be disabled. Other apps (such as Netflix) can be disabled. I'm presuming the DirecTV can be disabled, although I'm still seeking a solution (suggestions welcome).

Best wishes to everyone....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XBR-65X750D
post #6 of 45 Old 11-13-2016, 11:04 AM

Returned the LG 55UH7700 yesterday for the 55X700D because Bestbuy Canada is including a PS4 Pro with the TV.

Interestingly, the TV already has the HDR updated applied in factory.

Honestly, the picture quality is very similar to the LG, but the UH7700 was more expensive. I am happy with the deal so far.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Picked up the XBR65X750D this week. Very impressed with the picture quality. I was able to hook it up to DirecTV 4K. Also the up conversion of HD programming looks great. Very disapointed in the sound quality. I have hooked it up to a 9 year HTIB Sony 2 channel system that makes it sound good but wish they had done a better job on the TV sound/speakers.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Silly question, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect my receiver to the Tv. I would like to use the Android TV function, so how did you connect your receiver to the tv?
post #9 of 45 Old 01-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alktrio06 View Post
Silly question, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect my receiver to the Tv. I would like to use the Android TV function, so how did you connect your receiver to the tv?

I have mine connected using ARC on the HDMI cable. The TV and receiver negotiate this automatically on my TV such that when I am using a TV app, the audio automatically is switched to go from the TV to the receiver once an app is started.

It is pretty confusing in my opinion, and the documentation is sketchy. I don't think an explanation I could provide here would do it justice. I just googled for my specific receiver and got the details.

I am happy about how it works though. Once I am done watching through one of the apps and want to switch back to DirecTV, I only have to hit the TV button on the remote, and it automatically switches back to the audio from the DTV receiver through the audio receiver.
post #10 of 45 Old 01-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I used the ARC/HDMI also. Everything worked except what ever the volume level was set at when you turned on the TV, you could not use the TV remote to go below that level on the Sony HTIB. You could use the receiver remote to turn it down but it was a pain.

I broke down and bought a HT-CT390 and got a free blue ray player at Best Buy. Very happy with this set up now.
post #11 of 45 Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...questions.html

I don't mean to sidetrack the discussion here, nor do I want to double post. I've got some questions about the Audio behavior and IP control of the X700D that I've posted in the link above.

If any of you know the answers to these, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
post #12 of 45 Old 05-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Received a message saying there is an update 05/2017, but after trying to update, it says I already have the latest. Anyone else getting this?

XBR-55X700D
post #13 of 45 Old 05-10-2017, 05:17 AM

Update.........

I found the new software here;

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18

Not sure why the tv is saying I have the latest software already and wont update on it's own however.
post #14 of 45 Old 05-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
How do you guys like this set? This thread is very small...

I had settled on this one after initially hearing good things about the 800D model for gaming. I generally have preferred IPS over VA panels and in the 49" versions the 700D and 800D are both IPS.

Since the 800D is more expensive and has a large external power brick for some reason, I am favoring the 49" 700D. I was hoping to get one on closeout now that the 2017 models are out.

A lot of my research is based on the fantastic reviews at Rtings.

So... Is there generally not a lot of issues with the 700D models?

How DARE you question my ignorance!?!
post #15 of 45 Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post
Update.........

I found the new software here;

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18

Not sure why the tv is saying I have the latest software already and wont update on it's own however.
Thanks for posting about the update. Rather than wait, I downloaded the file and updated via USB. No issues, but I've just started playing with it.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Wow, this is a lightly discussed TV.

I need to do an exchange with Sony on a 2015 KDL-50W800C. I'm thinking of trying to talk them into a XBR-49X700D (they are offering a 55" W650D which looks to be a step down).

I THINK the MSRP's are about the same at $650(?)

Anyone have suggestions or further opinions on these TVs?
post #17 of 45 Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got the XBR55X700D last week and finally got around to setting it up and trying a few video sources. Looks good so far.

For a while I thought there might be a video size issue as most of my Blu Ray movies and many Netflix movies play with a small black bar at the top and bottom. I never noticed that before due to using smaller displays that also might have some zooming enabled. I researched the problematic movie titles and found that my older movies (Taxi Driver, The Terminator, The Killer) were released with 1.85 aspect ratio. 1080P or 16x9 is ratio 1.77.

Blu-rays play smoothly but I have noticed some jerkiness on some streamed videos when they do a horizontal pan. This might be a TV issue, but I'm thinking it may be a slow Wi-fi connection. Wi-fi needs to go 20 feet through at least 2 walls. I will eventually run a cable so I can get the speed of a wired network connection.

Theater 1 (living room): 65" TV Sony XBR65X900F, Denon AVR-S720W receiver, speakers for 5.1: 6 Kef Q100 (dual center), Klipsch SW-110B 10" subwoofer.
Theater 2 (family room): 55" TV Sony XBR55X700D, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker system.
Video sources: Telus 1080i PVR, Apple TV 3 (Netflix, YT), Sony 1080P BR player
post #18 of 45 Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games View Post
How do you guys like this set? This thread is very small...

I had settled on this one after initially hearing good things about the 800D model for gaming. I generally have preferred IPS over VA panels and in the 49" versions the 700D and 800D are both IPS.

Since the 800D is more expensive and has a large external power brick for some reason, I am favoring the 49" 700D. I was hoping to get one on closeout now that the 2017 models are out.

A lot of my research is based on the fantastic reviews at Rtings.

So... Is there generally not a lot of issues with the 700D models?

I have the 55x700D and the only negative I can say so far is that you would need to close the blinds during the day if your tv is facing a window, which mine is. Other than that, seems to perform very well so far
post #19 of 45 Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohnson View Post
Hello all, Gaming is my passion and I used gaming monitors to play my favorite games. I used Asus VG248QE 144Hz Gaming monitor. It offers everything that you would need in a monitor, including 144Hz with great inputs.

Good to know!!
post #20 of 45 Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Waiting for my XBR65X750D to be delivered. It should get delivered later on this morning. They had to reschedule the delivery from Tuesday until today. I am upgrading from 1080P Sharp 60" set

Last edited by powertoburn; 06-15-2017 at 02:25 AM.
post #21 of 45 Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM

I bought the X750D a week ago, and so far am enjoying it. I was upgrading from a KDS60A3000 (owned since new in '09) that was slowly dimming and was tired of finding quality bulbs that would keep brightness.

Contrast ratio is likely my biggest gripe much like everyone else, however it seems to be an improvement over the SXRD I upgraded from.

Most of my opinion is based on how it compares to the SXRD. We still have the A3000 and is now the 'bedroom' tv haha.

Motion is handled much better on the X750D than the A3000. With it cranked all the way up there is a fair amount of artifacts, but with more subtle settings it's much smoother all around.

Console gaming is a much better experience than the SXRD. In fact, I hated all the judder on the old tv since day 1. Game mode on that tv was garbage, so I had to enable Cinemotion and crank the Motion Enhancer all the way up to get a decent smooth sort of gaming experience. On the x750D I can have all the enhancements turned off and the PQ is excellent, even on older gen Xbox 360 console.

Near out of the box settings aren't bad. This tv is pretty damn bright despite what reviews say. Again I'm used to a darker SXRD tv so this one with even Brightness turned all the way down is way brighter than the old tv. Color pushes red a little much similar to what my old Sony did, but everything else looks pretty natural. Dialing in skin tone is a little tricky but looks good with minor adjustments. Viewing angles are excellent compared to a rear projection tv, and for my viewing environment I couldn't ask for better.

Seems like this tv does 1:1 pixel mapping, something the SXRD did not do and I hated it for it haha.

In '09 I paid about $2500 for the 60" SXRD with a 4 year extended warranty. Last week I paid half that for a bigger tv with better resolution and more options to play with. From what I came from this is a definite win.
post #22 of 45 Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reality Creation - Not Obvious

I just received a 65" XBR750D on a SquareTrade warranty fulfillment, replacing my defective 65" XBR850B. On the 850B, you could change the Reality Creation settings on the fly while watching live tv, and the benefits/results were obvious. Not so with the 750D. I haven't upgraded the firmware yet, and not sure if that will have an effect, but currently making changes to the Reality Creation settings (Auto/Off) has a subtle effect, if any. I haven't tweaked the picture settings much either, but watching some recorded hockey footage, the upscaling is clearly not as good as with the 850B as evidenced by the clarity of the signage on the boards, for one thing.

Anyone have different results or better luck?
post #23 of 45 Old 06-28-2017, 09:52 PM

I recently got the 49X700D version and was wondering what kind of calibration settings people have set, specifically for movies. I don't have the darkest room but the angle of the TV minimalizes any reflection issues.
post #24 of 45 Old 07-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
FYI, I just took another software update.

Version: PKG6.2648.0065NAA

My TV notified me of the update. It is not yet listed here:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...3#/downloadTab
As such, I don't know what is in it.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakline View Post

The only thing I noticed so far is that it has the June 1, 2017 security update
post #26 of 45 Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakline View Post

It fixed a problem I was having that when turning off the TV, it would turn off the A/V receiver, and then turn it back on. This started happening after the last update.

I hope they fixed the problem I've been having with Netflix since the update where the audio doesn't work until you pause and unpause it.

Both of these are ARC related I would assume.
post #27 of 45 Old 07-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clindner View Post
It fixed a problem I was having that when turning off the TV, it would turn off the A/V receiver, and then turn it back on. This started happening after the last update.

I hope they fixed the problem I've been having with Netflix since the update where the audio doesn't work until you pause and unpause it.

Both of these are ARC related I would assume.

Actually, my setup still has the A/V power cycle issue. Strangely the first time I turned it off after the update it worked fine, the next time the A/V powers back on after powering off.
post #28 of 45 Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Picture calibration

Does anyone have any recommended picture calibration settings for the 55x700D while using Video Apps such as netflix and amazon?
post #29 of 45 Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnivesACE View Post
Does anyone have any recommended picture calibration settings for the 55x700D while using Video Apps such as netflix and amazon?
rtings.com has a review of the 55X700D with suggested settings for Custom picture mode, I use these (tweaked them a bit) for Netflix. Sony's Brightness setting seems to work differently compared to other TVs and monitors I have used, rtings suggests setting Brightness=Minimum which seems strange but it works (I reset it higher).

BTW I agree with most of rtings.com comments about the X700D TV. Very decent for normal viewing of well-lit material such as sports, but poor black levels which is not good for dark movie scenes with the TV in a dark room (I am using subdued room lighting and a bias light behind the TV and have tweaked Black Level and Black Adjust settings to reduce the black problem a little). Regardless, movies are good on this TV.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x700d/settings

The rtings.com settings description also has their full calibration settings, I might try those soon although they are specific to their particular TV. My TV could probably do with a pro calibration as skin tones seem a little inaccurate with some picture modes (I will probably just tweak the tint to my preferences).

rtings.com also has a review and settings suggestions for the X750D:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x750d/settings

Theater 1 (living room): 65" TV Sony XBR65X900F, Denon AVR-S720W receiver, speakers for 5.1: 6 Kef Q100 (dual center), Klipsch SW-110B 10" subwoofer.
Theater 2 (family room): 55" TV Sony XBR55X700D, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker system.
Video sources: Telus 1080i PVR, Apple TV 3 (Netflix, YT), Sony 1080P BR player
post #30 of 45 Old 07-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

The one bug I have run into but not sure if it is the tv or the AVR. I have DirecTV HR44-500 connected to Pioneer VSX-1131 then to my XBR-65x750D. Sometimes when switching between different resolutions of programming from 1080i to 720p the tv will loose sync and show no video input. I then use the tv remote to switch HDMI inputs and when I switch back to HDMI 3 I have video again. It doesn't always happen but happens enough to make it bothersome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page