Need advice on Samsung Panel swaps - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Need advice on Samsung Panel swaps

Hey all, so I recently posted in the owners thread about my great JU7100 taking a dive and having some board and panel issues. My extended warranty through BB was going to cover it (#3 in a row now unfortunately) but after the service guy visited and said I'll recommend a replacement they called back the next day and said, wait we want to try a panel from a different set in stock, we'll swing by and get your TV.

A bit hesitant I'm like OK but was going to ask the service guy what his plan was when he came in. He says they have a JU6500 panel in stock and that it should just work. I of course raised some concerns over quality etc and he assured me it should be fine. I naturally jump to the different review sites to jog my memory on the 6500 and am now even more concerned. Hopefully you can inform me better on a few of these issues.

- The panel has a different finish which from what I see online will reflect more light than my 7100 does. Doesn't look like a huge amount but it is a completely different finish.

- The JU6500 is listed at 60hz while the 7100 is 120hz. Is that panel specific or with a replaced mainboard in the 7100 will that just start working at 120hz?

- Same Q but for 24p playback which apparently the 6500 completely misses. That one I presume is all mainboard controlled but let me know.

- The 6500 doesn't list any local dimming, is that panel specific?

- Does anyone know if the part #'s are interchangeable between these two sets or if these guys are literally just winging it to keep BB happy?

Any insights appreciated!

Shawn

I'm not sure how but this both sucks and blows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
OK so I'm not the only one alarmed by this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Refuse that panel replacement. That is absolutely not a fair trade. The refresh rate is dictated by the panel so you will loose the 120Hz you currently have. The back lighting is not necessarily built into the panel, but sometimes can be assembled as one unit especially with how thin current TVs are. No way for me to know if he is replacing that too. But either way he is trying to get you off his back by giving you a different and lower quality panel. After 3 repairs you are well within your right to ask for a full replacement under their no lemon policy.

TCL 55P605
XBL & Steam: Atomic TreeDude
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Tree Dude, the 120hz panel was my biggest concern, I figured the other features, like the semi-gloss finish could be lived with. I should clarify that this is my 3rd Samsung in a row to go down under BB warranty, first repair on this specific set.

The lady at the repair place was hostile when I called to ask about a few of these things so just arming myself for the inevitable follow up with the repair guy himself. If he can't guarantee it's 120hz that's just a no go for me and would not qualify under the terms of the warranty either.

Anyone else has additional input let me know!

Shawn

post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
He will likely quote that it is "Motion Plus 120" and try to pass it as that meaning it is a 120Hz panel. But on 4K TVs that number is double what the actual refresh rate is. So your set is "Motion Plus 240". Your set is also 3D and that one is not so you will loose that too. At this point I don't even think this swap will actually work. Here are the reviews for those 2 sets so you have something to show if he pushes back:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100

TCL 55P605
XBL & Steam: Atomic TreeDude
post #7 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post
He will likely quote that it is "Motion Plus 120" and try to pass it as that meaning it is a 120Hz panel. But on 4K TVs that number is double what the actual refresh rate is. So your set is "Motion Plus 240". Your set is also 3D and that one is not so you will loose that too. At this point I don't even think this swap will actually work. Here are the reviews for those 2 sets so you have something to show if he pushes back:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100
Yeah got those two locked and loaded for reference. The 3D bit is interesting too, I wouldn't suspect that would be panel specific but it does have an impact on 3D as well. This could all be the BB warranty service forcing them to attempt a repair but I for sure will do my damdest to keep them honest.

The repair requires a new panel and a new mainboard. The current panel had odd red dots in a perfect line on the top and bottom third of the panel on the right, like someone was shining a red laser pointer perfectly in those spots. The TV also exhibited an error state where the TV looked like I jacked the whites and contrast through the roof to the point where it was hard on the eyes and washed out the display. A reset would get it working again but that was becoming a daily activity instead of once in a blue moon. It was showing in errors in the service mode that he brought up and he attributed it to that error state. I have to imagine that the mainboard isn't going to fix the 120hz, 3d and other differences between the 6500 and the 7100 so hence why I'm here.

Thanks again!

post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well already heard back, the repair "surprisingly" didn't work. They're submitting the needs a panel swap request which should lead to an outright replacement.

Let you know how this ends up but thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page