Vizio 80" M80-D3 (2016 model, 4k HDR) owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 102 Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaadams View Post
But is it not an issue the 80" has brightness issues in HDR when compared to the 75"P?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Yep that's why I'll wait. I guess for few thousand more I could go with the 85" Samsung but I'm in no hurry I'll sit on it till I know when it's the right time.

Time to be prepared. 100% percent or bust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 102 Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
No the 80" does not have brightness issues. The poster asked that as a question. And the answer is no. Many turn the backlight down even with or without.
post #33 of 102 Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
No the 80" does not have brightness issues. The poster asked that as a question. And the answer is no. Many turn the backlight down even with or without.
In a darker room the brightness would be good on the 80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 89
@Jasonn B , What mount did you use for your TV? I currently have my 64" Samsung plasma wall mounted, was wondering if it would be strong enough to hold up this new one....

Just placed my order for my new 80"
post #35 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post
@Jasonn B , What mount did you use for your TV? I currently have my 64" Samsung plasma wall mounted, was wondering if it would be strong enough to hold up this new one....

Just placed my order for my new 80"
Awesome. Actually I have an old Sanos mount that is from 8 years ago. On the box max size it says is 60" but that's because back then a 60" was the biggest flat screen made, lol, which was 200lb 60" plasma. This works perfect and the 80" weighs half, around 100lbs. Your old mouth will work, but you will most likely need to re-drill holes for it if the vesa pattern for the holes is much different than your old one.
post #36 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all. Wanted to share my experience with the m80-d3 thus far. Got mine at costco at about 40% off ... was the floor model and the last one they had.

Anyway got it home and the color was of course way off as it was in demo mode. The Volcano documentary Into the inferno on netflix showed off the bad colors the best. one of the opening scenes in that doc has molten lava boiling and this particular scene was extremely washed out with the reds overpowering the rest of the colors.

Fixing colors:
Switched first to the calibrated color mode and this really helped but i found the calibrated dark setting to look best. This also cleared up some flickering that I saw. Just after the opening scene with the boiling lava it switches to an aerial shot over an island jungle and this scene had really bad flickering until switching to calibrated dark. now I don't have any flicker at all.

i've gone out of my way to watch 4K content and everything i've seen is absolutely phenomenal. again this is all after switching to calibrated dark mode. seating distance for me is about 13.5' and behind the couch are large windows looking out to the back yard. windows are beneath an awning and have blinds on them. during the day I have to look specifically for the glare to see it in all but very dark scenes. at night, i do watch with the family room lights off as they do glare a bit due to their placement in the room.

as for the remote/casting ... meh. I just ordered a new receiver and a roku ultra because the casting is both sketchy and a real PITA for people unfamiliar with the tech. had my folks staying to help with new baby recently and my mom wanted to watch tv ... yeah i just did it all for her as explaining how to cast things just wasn't going to work. also something that really frustrated me was watching football games via Sling.tv isn't possible. The reason for this is Sling.tv's broadcast recognizes the remote as a tablet. Due to licensing restrictions you can't watch live nfl through sling on tablets/phones. Even though all I want to do is cast this to my TV it isn't possible. Switching over to my older roku 3 though and I can watch the game fine.

As for sketchy casting ... sometimes it works great. Open the netflix app, click the cast button, click play - boom works great. Then power off the tv go to bed wake up the next day and casting just doesn't work. Have to manually kill the netflix app, reboot the tv, etc etc to get it working again. It just isn't as smooth and idiot proof as I want. I shouldn't have to troubleshoot things to watch tv.

So, going with the roku ultra as roku has never let me down from a usability and simplicity standpoint. I'll use the tablet remote to control the roku ultra and hopefully my new yamaha receiver.

all that said, this tv is phenomenal thus far. Marco Polo is stunning on this screen. I'm looking forward to a larger selection of 4K content.

one issue i ran into with my htpc, i can't get any picture running through the receiver. my older tv worked fine running the htpc through the receiver. possibly a cable or possibly hdcp 2.2 issue i'm not real sure. my soon to be replaced receiver is only hdmi 1.4 capable though so i'm just assuming that is the weak link. roku 3 through the older receiver as well as my kid's wiiU works fine (both limited to 1080p). htpc direct connect to the tv with stereo out through the receiver works fine too so my thought is the htpc's hdmi port is hdcp 2.2 compliant and senses the TV is also compliant but the receiver in the middle not being hdcp 2.2 kills the connection.

anyway, love this tv even with the sketchy casting issues. color to my eye is phenomenal once set in calibrated dark mode. haven't experimented yet with low latency game mode as my htpc needs a new GPU/CPU to even hope to play games at 4K - it isn't really great at 1080p either so I'll upgrade it at some point. the wiiU controls/games imo don't need the low latency mode so haven't tried it.

hmm that's about it. if anyone has any questions let me know.
post #37 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome. Actually I have an old Sanos mount that is from 8 years ago. On the box max size it says is 60" but that's because back then a 60" was the biggest flat screen made, lol, which was 200lb 60" plasma. This works perfect and the 80" weighs half, around 100lbs. Your old mouth will work, but you will most likely need to re-drill holes for it if the vesa pattern for the holes is much different than your old one.

Did you reuse the screws in the back of your plasma or order new ones?
post #38 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats thebaronofsd. That one heck of a deal 40% off!!! So about $2,400?

Quote:
Did you reuse the screws in the back of your plasma or order new ones?
Yep, they are the M6 type screws which are fairly common and also come with the mount. Got a pic of where you're mounting yours?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #39 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
after tax and the additional 3 year warranty it was just under $2500. i went in looking at a 70" but then the floor guy mentioned the deal and when I stood in front of it ... yeah just couldn't pass it up.
Randall.White likes this.
post #40 of 102 Old 11-25-2016, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yep, they are the M6 type screws which are fairly common and also come with the mount. Got a pic of where you're mounting yours?

Not at the moment, but I can take one. I may have to re-position the actual mount on the wall. Not sure if it's safe to loosen the bolts and slide the bracket over though... Better look into it.

Are you just using the Vizio speakers? Or do you have a system hooked up? Probably going to have to start upgrading my AVR and Blu Ray player now
post #41 of 102 Old 11-26-2016, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Not at the moment, but I can take one. I may have to re-position the actual mount on the wall. Not sure if it's safe to loosen the bolts and slide the bracket over though... Better look into it.

Are you just using the Vizio speakers? Or do you have a system hooked up? Probably going to have to start upgrading my AVR and Blu Ray player now

Yes, you can do that and loosen the bolts and slide. I had to move the actual mount lower and drill 2 new holes, there are 4 total, but I was able to re-use the 2 holes in the wall when moving it down. My old tv was vesa 600x400 and the new one was 400x600. So when we first mounted the new tv (I didn't realize this) it was 7" higher off the mantle than it is now which was way to high! So moved mount down and got it right. Just a warning, you may need to move your mount.

Currently using the tv speakers which I don't find to be bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1480170973642.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1790177  
post #42 of 102 Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you can do that and loosen the bolts and slide. I had to move the actual mount lower and drill 2 new holes, there are 4 total, but I was able to re-use the 2 holes in the wall when moving it down. My old tv was vesa 600x400 and the new one was 400x600. So when we first mounted the new tv (I didn't realize this) it was 7" higher off the mantle than it is now which was way to high! So moved mount down and got it right. Just a warning, you may need to move your mount.

Currently using the tv speakers which I don't find to be bad.

I believe mine is 400x400, so could I just buy a 400x600 mount and use the proper attachment for the TV?

It shipped last night and is about an hour away, but no projected delivery date
post #43 of 102 Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Your old mount should work, you just may need to mount it higher or lower on the wall if you don't have enough play to slide the brackets. In my last photo, that mount needed to be moved down about 6" lower.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

post #44 of 102 Old 11-27-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, stay tuned. I convinced a good friend to upgrade to the 80" Vizio from a 70" Saumsung. Told him to go to Costco, use the Citi Visa card and buy the extended warranty for $89. This gave him 7 years of warranty!! You just can't go wrong with Costco.

We measured and the 80" will fit in that opening with .5" to spare on the sides!

Here's the before.... In a few days, I hope to have an after photo with the 80".

Randall.White likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #45 of 102 Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your old mount should work, you just may need to mount it higher or lower on the wall if you don't have enough play to slide the brackets. In my last photo, that mount needed to be moved down about 6" lower.

How much room side to side did you have extra? Mine looks pretty close to the edges as is

The wait is killing me lol, and I haven't told anyone that I purchased it Waiting to see my wife's face when it arrives here.

By the way, Vizio should give you a kick back. Talking all these people into buying one
post #46 of 102 Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, stay tuned. I convinced a good friend to upgrade to the 80" Vizio from a 70" Saumsung. Told him to go to Costco, use the Citi Visa card and buy the extended warranty for $89. This gave him 7 years of warranty!! You just can't go wrong with Costco.

We measured and the 80" will fit in that opening with .5" to spare on the sides!

Here's the before.... In a few days, I hope to have an after photo with the 80".

Boom!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3262.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1800209
NCGoldwinger likes this.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 12-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.
post #47 of 102 Old 12-03-2016, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It has arrived!

Took a couple friends and a couple beers to get it all situated. Tomorrow to work on calibrating it.
post #48 of 102 Old 12-03-2016, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome. Congrats. Looking forward to some pics and your thoughts.
post #49 of 102 Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's going to take a bit more tweaking to get the color just right. What do you have your settings at?

Besides the size of this monster, the brightness is something else.. We are use to plasma screens and they always seemed like they needed just a tad more brightness (except in dark rooms) but this new one, with all the windows open and lights on, still no issues at all.
post #50 of 102 Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So the picture is taking some getting use to, what do you have it on for settings?

Football looked good, and then it seems like the field got extremely grainy looking... Movies and kids shows look fantastic but when were trying to watch any game it looks almost like its in standard definition?? Any help would be appreciated.
post #51 of 102 Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Do a rest first and state over. Then try calibrated, then go to Vivid to compare.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #52 of 102 Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Any one else get this tv, or have any tips/tricks?

I just got a google home recently and now you can tell google home to play a video or show and it will turn your TV automatically, and just do it.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #53 of 102 Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The new 3.0 firmware just hit. Any good reports?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #54 of 102 Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got this bad boy yesterday. Stream casting Netflix looks amazing. About the only thing I could watch, got it way too late and had to get up at 4am. I ran into this TV by total accident. I've been looking for it everywhere and there was nowhere near me that had it in stock. Even online which I really wanted to avoid had low inventory everywhere. Speaking to a Sales person at Brandsmart about my second option the Sony 940D, he accidentally found a completely sealed, brand spanking new in the box(I was willing to settle for the floor model) . It was meant to be their display unit but they never mounted it bc they didn't have the space for it.

Did I make the right decision with the M80-D3 versus the 940D?

Coming from an older 80" Vizio I figured the 5" would make a difference so I took the 80 instead. The picture on the 940D on display was amazing.
Got home and mounting it was very simple and this new TV sits a bit higher so it is actually perfec my old TV was a tad lower than I liked.
Now as soon as I turn this thing on it was updating forever. Specially the tablet. And the the TV did another update. Bottom line I was able to watch TV for a whole 20 mins max. I liked what I saw. The regular tv coming from my hopper 3 wasn't as good as I hoped. COuld be in part due to my AV receiver which I use as switch.

At this point i'm just dying to get home to try gaming and the rest of the bells an whistles in it.
post #55 of 102 Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedix911 View Post
Just got this bad boy yesterday. Stream casting Netflix looks amazing. About the only thing I could watch, got it way too late and had to get up at 4am. I ran into this TV by total accident. I've been looking for it everywhere and there was nowhere near me that had it in stock. Even online which I really wanted to avoid had low inventory everywhere. Speaking to a Sales person at Brandsmart about my second option the Sony 940D, he accidentally found a completely sealed, brand spanking new in the box(I was willing to settle for the floor model) . It was meant to be their display unit but they never mounted it bc they didn't have the space for it.

Did I make the right decision with the M80-D3 versus the 940D?

Coming from an older 80" Vizio I figured the 5" would make a difference so I took the 80 instead. The picture on the 940D on display was amazing.
Got home and mounting it was very simple and this new TV sits a bit higher so it is actually perfec my old TV was a tad lower than I liked.
Now as soon as I turn this thing on it was updating forever. Specially the tablet. And the the TV did another update. Bottom line I was able to watch TV for a whole 20 mins max. I liked what I saw. The regular tv coming from my hopper 3 wasn't as good as I hoped. COuld be in part due to my AV receiver which I use as switch.

At this point i'm just dying to get home to try gaming and the rest of the bells an whistles in it.
Awesome. Yea, no way you could go DOWN to a 75" after living with an 80". Trust me... You made the right decision. Which older 80" vizio did you havE?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #56 of 102 Old 02-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Awesome. Yea, no way you could go DOWN to a 75" after living with an 80". Trust me... You made the right decision. Which older 80" vizio did you havE?
Yea that's why I was willing to sacrifice a bit on the PQ vs the size also the fact that gaming should be better on the D3. My previous Vizio was the M801d-A3R.

I'm having and issue when I Cast on the TV. The audio doesn't play. I have the TV running of a Yamaha RX-V377. Whenever I do anything on the cast app be it Pause it, rewind it, start new episode the sound doesn't play. I have to select a different input on the AV receiver and then go back to audio for it to play sound very frigging annoying. Anyone has an idea what could be?
post #57 of 102 Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you try doing a factory reset?

Also, did you guys see vizio just added their 2017 E series TV's? They are no longer showing the 80" M series on their site, and now have an 80" E series at a much lower price it seems.... Wonder if the 80" E is just a rebadged 80". Anyone want to compare the specs to ours?

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/eseries/e80e3.html

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #58 of 102 Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just looked at the new Vizio 80" E 2017. It has FALD with 16 zones. Seemed to me like a small upgrade M80.

Sony XBR75X940E, Onkyo TX-RZ810, Klipsch speakers, SVS subwoofer, Tivo Roamio
post #59 of 102 Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, the M series 80" has 64 zones.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #60 of 102 Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just ordered one from Sams (they have a tech discount of $300 until April 2)...should be here between 3/27 and 4/6....was really struggling between the this and P75...the extra 5" vs the PQ difference was the deciding factor...Hope I don't regret it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page