New TV time - Vizio P75-C1 vs. Sony X940D vs. ??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 51 Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This morning Costco has it for $50 less than yesterday, $2899.99.... I am heading to Best Buy this morning to return a product and I am going to see what they are willing to do to match Costco in price and service... not sure I can get them to give me a 2yr warranty and an additional 2% off... but I am going to try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
New TV time - Vizio P75-C1 vs. Sony X940D vs. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekie999 View Post
This morning Costco has it for $50 less than yesterday, $2899.99.... I am heading to Best Buy this morning to return a product and I am going to see what they are willing to do to match Costco in price and service... not sure I can get them to give me a 2yr warranty and an additional 2% off... but I am going to try!

I got them to price match at 2899, but didn't try the warranty. Now Costco doesn't even have it on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 51 Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
I got them to price match at 2899, but didn't try the warranty. Now Costco doesn't even have it on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah same here.. I stuck it out with Costco.. with the 2nd year of warranty for free it was a much better deal. Best Buy wanted $400 for a 2 year warranty and refused to budge.. I called Costco and got them to give me the $50 back to match the $2899 price they had before it disappeared last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 11-30-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekie999 View Post
Yeah same here.. I stuck it out with Costco.. with the 2nd year of warranty for free it was a much better deal. Best Buy wanted $400 for a 2 year warranty and refused to budge.. I called Costco and got them to give me the $50 back to match the $2899 price they had before it disappeared last night.
Did any of you order direct from vizio for 2802 shipped the other night?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #35 of 51 Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Did any of you order direct from vizio for 2802 shipped the other night?

I did. Too good of a deal to pass up. While the extra year warranty for Costco is nice, it wasn't worth an extra $400 to me. To be honest, the 90 day 'no questions asked' return policy is the real value of Costco, imho. Electronics tend to fail in year one, if there is a manufacturing flaw or defect. If memory serves (college statistics class reference here, so... it's been a while), in general, electronics' failure rates have an inverse hyper-geometric distribution (or something similar). In short, it means defects happen early. If they don't, you're about as likely to have a failure in year 2 as you are in year 5--essentially it becomes randomness. But if it truly is a "defect", you're like 95% likely (or something) to see it happen year 1. So extended warranties tend to be "randomness insurance" as opposed to warranting a true manufacturing defect. Which is why they don't tend to be good deals for consumers. At least that's my recollection of how it all works.

But the 90 day return? THAT gave me pause about buying from Vizio instead of Costco--it had real value to me. I was tempted to buy from Costco and pay the extra $400 in the event I had a change of heart based on any development from CES or if I decided the umax85 was worth the hassle and the extra $1200, pending reviews that are hopefully forthcoming here soon. But there's so much noise around Leeco right now. Plus they were showing delivery was late January at the earliest (and I wouldn't be shocked if those didn't happen until February -- AFTER the Super Bowl). Combined with the fact 85" is really pushing it for me (it would work for my space, but would take some reconfiguring), I just said 'f*$% it'. Save the money now, buy it direct from Vizio, and make the next TV purchase in 3-5 years the true game changer--i.e. a wallpaper 80" OLED .

FYI. Current status says "Packing". So... when I ordered, it said "ships within two weeks". So they have another week to ship it before I start bitching at them. Ha!
post #36 of 51 Old 02-04-2017, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Update: No TV yet... I was all set to pick up the 940D until I started seeing all the ghosting/smearing issues. I would still pick one up if the price was right ($3k), but maybe I'll wait for the 940E at this point.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #37 of 51 Old 02-04-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Update: No TV yet... I was all set to pick up the 940D until I started seeing all the ghosting/smearing issues. I would still pick one up if the price was right ($3k), but maybe I'll wait for the 940E at this point.
I was debating between these 2 tvs as well, and I was also concerned about the ghosting/smearing issue, but then I came across an authorized Sony dealer on Ebay selling the 940D for $2800 and thought it was too good to pass up. I gotta say I'm happy I pulled the trigger. Maybe the ghosting/smearing thing is real, but it isn't noticeable when actually watching content (and I've watched things with white background and moving black images).
post #38 of 51 Old 02-05-2017, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I ended up picking up a 940D locally for $3500 tonight, so not quite as great of a deal but they did throw in a wall mount and installation.

Just cross your fingers I get one of the good panels.
post #39 of 51 Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I ended up picking up a 940D locally for $3500 tonight, so not quite as great of a deal but they did throw in a wall mount and installation.

Just cross your fingers I get one of the good panels.
why is a vizio from a value brand being compared to a 940d from a premium brand? they are not even in the same league.. are people forgetting that 940d was $8,000 when it first came out in April last year? that said i bought the 940d for $2900 from buydig and picture is jaw dropping.
post #40 of 51 Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
vizio p75-c1 vs sony x940d

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm down to the Vizio p75-c1 vs Sony x940d to replace my Mitsubishi 73" C9 DLP.

I wanted to hold out longer and let HDR work itself out more but I'm getting the dreaded white pixels...again

The threads that I've seen on these forums tend to favor the Sony; however, the Amazon and Best Buy reviews aren't as favorable. I've found more "professional" reviews on the Vizio P series than I have the Sony and while 3 articles that I read rated the Vizio as best Perfomance/Value, the Sony hasn't been listed as best in any category.

Dolby Vision disc players are hitting the markets now. Two article that I found highlighted the improvement of DV over HDR10 including jaw dropping photos of Mad Max on the same set. Granted it was LG OLED so the same benefits may be non existent on Vizio.

I do not want a smaller TV than 75" so LG OLED is out. I'm 16' away from my TV. I also would like to keep the price under $4k but I have wiggle room.

I'm leaning towards the Vizio for DV and because of the more favorable views that I've found.

Am I crazy? And please don't reference price drop as a factor (as in Sony's drop from $6k to $4k).
post #41 of 51 Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder33625 View Post
why is a vizio from a value brand being compared to a 940d from a premium brand? they are not even in the same league.. are people forgetting that 940d was $8,000 when it first came out in April last year? that said i bought the 940d for $2900 from buydig and picture is jaw dropping.
Maybe because they're both 4K FALD TVs with a similar number of zones and similar current pricing? Who cares about the MSRP, that's just a number. What matters is what the picture is like, which is why they want experience from people who have used both, not just to be told that one had a higher MSRP.
mpgxsvcd, dman918 and lucacow like this.
post #42 of 51 Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12746 Post(s)
Liked: 12054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsand1 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm down to the Vizio p75-c1 vs Sony x940d to replace my Mitsubishi 73" C9 DLP.

I wanted to hold out longer and let HDR work itself out more but I'm getting the dreaded white pixels...again

The threads that I've seen on these forums tend to favor the Sony; however, the Amazon and Best Buy reviews aren't as favorable. I've found more "professional" reviews on the Vizio P series than I have the Sony and while 3 articles that I read rated the Vizio as best Perfomance/Value, the Sony hasn't been listed as best in any category.

Dolby Vision disc players are hitting the markets now. Two article that I found highlighted the improvement of DV over HDR10 including jaw dropping photos of Mad Max on the same set. Granted it was LG OLED so the same benefits may be non existent on Vizio.

I do not want a smaller TV than 75" so LG OLED is out. I'm 16' away from my TV. I also would like to keep the price under $4k but I have wiggle room.

I'm leaning towards the Vizio for DV and because of the more favorable views that I've found.

Am I crazy? And please don't reference price drop as a factor (as in Sony's drop from $6k to $4k).

I'd still bet that hdr10 will look better on the 940d than DV will on the vizio because of a superior panel and better processing.
post #43 of 51 Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsand1 View Post

I compared the two and went with the Vizio P75 as it was under $3k around Thanksgiving.

Using just the Calibrated picture option and viewing 4k non HDR videos is a treat.

The main reason I went Vizio was the input lag and high speed gaming port. I play Fps and having the best input lag is key. Last night for instance I started playing a game outside Gaming mode by accident and it was noticeably laggy.

If you don't play games than you can't go wrong with each. I usually watch TV , movies and games with the lights dim.

Side note. I moved from a Mitsubishi 65 c9

Either TV will impress and I haven't even pushed this thing yet with a UHD HDR movie. Only 4k I tried was YouTube videos in non hdr

Emsand1 likes this.
post #44 of 51 Old 03-03-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I'd still bet that hdr10 will look better on the 940d than DV will on the vizio because of a superior panel and better processing.
Can you define what is superior about the panel or is it just the Sony name? Also please demonstrate how the Sony processing makes it better in real world scenarios?

I like the Sony 940D just as much as anyone else. However, I can evaluate both displays objectively. They are both actually VERY similar TVs. They both have very good FALD. They both have exceptional motion handling. Also they both look great with HDR10.

The Vizio has Dolby Vision and HDR10 which is great but HDR10 is the more universal format at the moment. The Vizio also has MUCH better support for gaming ironically. Its 1080p @ 120 FPS gaming mode is exceptional and its input lag is second to none.

The Sony TVs appear to have slightly better reflections and viewing angles than the Vizio P-series. However, that really isn't a significant difference.

I ended up having many issues with two of the three P75 TVs I have. Vizio was very receptive to repairing or replacing them but it was a pain to be without the TV for almost 2 months. Any TV can have problems though. The most important thing is whether the manufacturer stands by their warranty and rectifies the situation. In the end Vizio did that for me.
Emsand1 likes this.
post #45 of 51 Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 AM

New TV time - Vizio P75-C1 vs. Sony X940D

Wowsers.....I came across the Sony X940D Smearing issues thread.

That may have sealed the deal. I watch a ton of animated features and the thought of spending months swapping displays and technical discussions doesn't sit well.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #46 of 51 Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder33625 View Post
Because they both recieve the same score on RTINGS.com despite the 940D being so over priced initially. They are both really good TVs with some slight differences.
Emsand1 likes this.
post #47 of 51 Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How is everyone liking their p series? And is the 70 inch m series comparable just smaller screen? At sub 2k now it seems like a great option. Mostly interested in tv and sports....

Thx!
post #48 of 51 Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM

Liked: 11
Should probably start a new thread, but what are thoughts on the new models: P75E1 vs. X940E?
post #49 of 51 Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by proceedputty View Post
Should probably start a new thread, but what are thoughts on the new models: P75E1 vs. X940E?
The P75-E1 is the same hardware as the P75-C1. Vizio won't do a whole new P-series until 2018. The X940E looks to be very good, but it's priced at $6K at the moment. Rtings gave very high marks to Sony's new X930E series (the smaller size of the X940E).
post #50 of 51 Old 05-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
how does the sony 900e compare to the vizio p series? I'm looking at the 75" sizes. I was just about ready to get the 900e at $4300, but the vizio can be had for under $3000. will the extra 1300 be worth it?
post #51 of 51 Old 05-13-2017, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashpwnage View Post
how does the sony 900e compare to the vizio p series? I'm looking at the 75" sizes. I was just about ready to get the 900e at $4300, but the vizio can be had for under $3000. will the extra 1300 be worth it?
No, it won't be worth it. The Vizio P-75 is highly regarded and beloved by owners of the set, and like the Sony 900E is a FALD set, but it can do something the Sony cannot do and will never do, Dolby Vision HDR. If I were you, I'd get the Vizio and use the extra money for a UHD Blu-Ray player and sound bar. Not saying that the 900E isn't a great TV, it's just not worth the xtra price tag. If you want a Sony, get the x940D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page