New TV time - Vizio P75-C1 vs. Sony X940D vs. ??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
New TV time - Vizio P75-C1 vs. Sony X940D vs. ???

Looking to upgrade to something with 4K and HDR support and go larger than my current 60" set. Both of these televisions seem to meet my needs/budget so I was looking for opinions on which is the better buy. With the price drops now that the new Sony 'Z' series is out they are pretty close in price - unless the Vizio will have any sales for Black Friday.

I am also open to other suggestions outside of these two models as long as they are at least 75" and don't cost 2x-3x as much.
Brien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 645
At that size, high end sets are slim pickings. The 78" Samsung is more expensive. If you're willing to go only to 65" the LG B6 OLED is cheaper than the 2 sets you cite, and performs better in most ways. The 77" OLED is $20k.

Check out the LeEco thread...85" FALD for $4000, though supply constrained at the moment, and none in the field yet for review. Soon though.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 11-10-2016, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks, I'll check it out.

65" is a no-go for me... I understand that the LG set is OLED and has better PQ (people elsewhere are recommending it too) but I just don't want to go that small.
Brien is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 01:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm very interested to hear opinions on this. I'm facing the exact same quandary. Been struggling between deciding on the Vizio P75-C1 and the Sony XBR75X940D. Been going back and forth for 3 or 4 months now. If the Vizio hadn't been so supply constrained, I would have bought it over the summer. But I just wasn't willing to wait for potentially several months for delivery because things have been moving so fast in this market (particularly dropping prices). At the time, the Vizio's price advantage was still relatively significant over the Sony. But I surmised the Sony would keep dropping in price. And sure enough, I can actually find the Sony for less than the Vizio. If you look hard enough, you can find a reputable dealer will sell you one for about $3500 (though I concede it can depend on the day of the week and who you talk with). So I had all but made my mind up to go with the Sony when I realized a rather annoying feature -- the mounting holes on the Sony are near the bottom of the set. I have an existing wall mount that was a complete PIA to put in 5 years ago when I got my 60" plasma, but really works perfect for the space and Home Theater setup. So I really have no interest in changing it out. It's a universal mount that's rated up to 175 lbs and could do up to Vesa 600 x 400. The problem is that the existing plasma has its mounting holes vertically "centered". I honestly just assumed that's how all TVs did it. It never dawned on me that in the drive for thinner and lighter TVs, the Vesa pattern mounting holes were being moved vertically all over the place on the back of the TVs, depending on the manufacturer (and model). And given the pattern and location on the Sony, the TV would be REALLY high on my wall -- and, in fact, would require moving some "height" speakers and their mounts.

I thought (hoped) maybe there were adapters or something, but I couldn't find anything like that (if people know of ways via an adapter or something that one can somehow vertically "shift" the effective location of the contact between the mount and the TV in order to vertically "center" it, pray tell!). So I didn't pull the trigger.

When the OLEDs then suddenly dropped to under $3k, I thought maybe I'd just compromise on the size. I wasn't willing to do that before mostly because I wasn't going to pay MORE for a smaller TV, albeit superior. But now that it was LESS, I thought I'd maybe do it. Unfortunately, the exact same problem exists. The mounting holes on the OLED are near the bottom of the TV. Only the Vizio P75-C1 has vertically centered mounting holes. So I may be "stuck".

Regarding the LeEco, if one uses the Vesa pattern they posted online, it appears it actually is on the upper part of the screen. When I measured it out, it actually might work for my space. Because of the larger 85" size, it's advantageous for my setup to have those mounting holes somewhat higher on that TV. I'm a little concerned about the weight (but my bracket is rated to handle it -- though it's not marketed for 85" TVs --- it actually was marketed for up to 65" TVs -- but as far as I know, the only relevant issue is the rated weight and whether the Vesa patterns work. If I'm wrong about that, I'd appreciate someone telling me because the best information I can find is that the "size" rating of the mount is irrelevant--only the weight rating and the Vesa pattern matter. But that could be wrong, so pray tell if it is).

Bottom line. I may be reluctantly waiting until 2017. I figure if I'm going to have to reconfigure everything, I'll just hold off and see what 2017 brings (and keep my fingers crossed that I won't have to reconfigure it). But if I must, maybe it's worth waiting. Unless I'm convinced via comments here that the value proposition is too great to pass up. So I'm actually open to any of the 4 options. But ideally, I'd not have to do a reconfiguration. But if the OLED and/or Sony is so kick ass, maybe it's worth it. Or if the Vizio (even at what effectively remains full price -- should have just bought it right away) is worth its premium price relative to the Sony or OLED (SMH that the Vizio is now the "premium" brand in this discussion). Or lastly, the LeEco is truly a stunning TV worth more than its price, despite the brand uncertainty. So I'm curious to hear comments.

Jeff

P.S. Sorry for the long write-up. I guess it's kind of like therapy. Been a frustrating process trying to buy a large TV in this rapidly changing environment of new manufacturers, shifting UHD, HDR and HDMI standards, etc. etc.
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,012
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12812 Post(s)
Liked: 12154
If similar prices, 940d. The glossy screen, Sony processing, more vibrant picture, make up for the loss of Dolby Vision easily.
MCaugusto likes this.
ray0414 is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Depends on your viewing environment, prefer a standard remote or can adapt to a tablet as your remote. Would like firmware updates that also add to picture quality(Vizio), can't speak for the 940D. Do you prefer really small bezels. 940D is attractive even when the display is off.

Vizio 600 nits, HDR10/Dolby Vision, Tablet Remote, No tuner, no bloom, gray metallic bezel. 1080p upscaling IMO is phenomenal

Sony 940D 1000 nits, HDR10 only, standard remote, tuner, some blooming, beautiful no bezel design, great upscaling of 480p to 1080p material.
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
kenoh89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
With it's peak brightness on HDR10 content, the Sony will be superior on small highlights, with slightly better colors too. The stand looks sturdier and helps with placement flexibility. (IMO It looks higher-end too.) [email protected] is always an option for gaming as people have reported it being possible. Now for the bad news, if you are manly a PC gamer, it "might" loose out on HDR support as PC games will be Dolby Vision support centric, because Dolby Vision offers flexibility for older legacy cards and HDR requires newer hardware, with support for HDMI 2.0. Dolby Vision can be used with devices with HDMI 1.4
kenoh89 is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 6,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
I'm very interested to hear opinions on this. I'm facing the exact same quandary. Been struggling between deciding on the Vizio P75-C1 and the Sony XBR75X940D. Been going back and forth for 3 or 4 months now. ...

P.S. Sorry for the long write-up. I guess it's kind of like therapy. Been a frustrating process trying to buy a large TV in this rapidly changing environment of new manufacturers, shifting UHD, HDR and HDMI standards, etc. etc.

I feel your pain. Been wanting a flagship set for a while. Last time around - 3.5 years ago - I went with a holdover 1080p set as 4K was just beginning to appear but the standards were far from established. But each time the flagships get to my price range, CES is just around the corner, with some promise of a meaningful increase in performance for the price. Now, it's "how much lower will the Z9D sets get?" and DV. I'd like to buy now-ish, but as 'meh' as my current set is, it's not so bad that I feel overly compelled to buy. The 940D can indeed be had for an amazing price, but may not be as future proofed as I'd like without DV.

#firstworldproblems

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I feel your pain. Been wanting a flagship set for a while. Last time around - 3.5 years ago - I went with a holdover 1080p set as 4K was just beginning to appear but the standards were far from established. But each time the flagships get to my price range, CES is just around the corner, with some promise of a meaningful increase in performance for the price. Now, it's "how much lower will the Z9D sets get?" and DV. I'd like to buy now-ish, but as 'meh' as my current set is, it's not so bad that I feel overly compelled to buy. The 940D can indeed be had for an amazing price, but may not be as future proofed as I'd like without DV.

#firstworldproblems
Good thread. Yeah, I've been going back and forth between the 930D and 940D. But, considering the price, especially in the case of the 940D, it's really tough to give up DV. Any word on whether or not the 2017 Sony models might include DV?

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
In response to anthonymoody (I guess I don't have 5 posts yet so not allowed to quote your comment).

Yup. That was a HUGE struggle for me. But when prices dropped below the Vizio, I had all but pulled the trigger on the Sony. It's a great TV, and imho, superior to the Vizio but for the lack of DV. Then almost by chance, I noticed the mounting holes "problem" on the Sony. I probably just wasn't paying attention before. But when did manufacturers start vertically shifting the mounting holes to the bottom of screens? It was my own ignorance. But it just never occurred to me. Vertically and horizontally centering the mounting holes seemed more than logical, and I just assumed that was the industry standard. I'm just glad I noticed.

I'd still "settle" on the Vizio. Except for the fact the value proposition is largely gone. I mean BB had a $100 off for like a week after it first came out (good luck getting one). But otherwise? It's actually MORE expensive now than at the release because Vizio stopped offering free shipping sometime back in June or July (for me, BB isn't a good option because I can avoid the sales tax if I order from Vizio). The Sony has meanwhile dropped from its introduction retail price of $7,999 to $4,299, and can be had for about $3500 with a little work and negotiation. And I would buy the Sony over the Vizio, even without DV on the Sony, all things (particularly price) being equal. And it's less expensive now!! But man I don't want to have to swap out and move the wall mount. Ughh!! that would be such a PIA. Indeed #firstworldproblems
anthonymoody and kenoh89 like this.
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #11 of 51 Old 11-13-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Looking to upgrade to something with 4K and HDR support and go larger than my current 60" set. Both of these televisions seem to meet my needs/budget so I was looking for opinions on which is the better buy. With the price drops now that the new Sony 'Z' series is out they are pretty close in price - unless the Vizio will have any sales for Black Friday.

I am also open to other suggestions outside of these two models as long as they are at least 75" and don't cost 2x-3x as much.
Brien, just wondering if you were able to make a decision. I'm also interested in TVs in your price range.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is offline  
post #12 of 51 Old 11-16-2016, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Not yet. Price is about equal, so it comes down to deeper blacks and DV vs. brighter and wider gamut... so it's a bit of a toss up.
Brien is offline  
post #13 of 51 Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,012
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12812 Post(s)
Liked: 12154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Not yet. Price is about equal, so it comes down to deeper blacks and DV vs. brighter and wider gamut... so it's a bit of a toss up.

Not to mention the sony will look much better with cable TV and 1080p material.
ray0414 is offline  
post #14 of 51 Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How about the M80-D3 for $2600?
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #15 of 51 Old 11-17-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,012
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12812 Post(s)
Liked: 12154
I'd say more people care about sports.

Sorry but sony Easily has the best cable picture.

Not to mention that matte screen on the vizios is nasty. Give me the glossy wet look of the 940d all day. More vibrancy and better depth on ALL content.
ray0414 is offline  
post #16 of 51 Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Have you seen the Sony XBR-75X940D side by side with the Vizio P-75, even if the only way to do so is by going to your local Best Buy store ?

When i visited my local Best Buy store a few months ago i was lucky to see both sets side by side and the fact that the Vizio has a matte screen versus the glossy screen on the Sony made a huge difference, to my eyes anyway.
The Vizio displayed "greyish whites" compared to whites on the Sony which were much/much brighter and not grey at all.
Next to the Vizio, the picture on the Sony "jumps" at you by offering a lot more of that contrast "pop" that gives white highlights on images an almost 3D effect.

The Sony definitely trounced the Vizio on that regard and right then and there i realized what a difference there is between glossy vs. matte screen, a fact i had never paid any attention to prior to my visit.
I was ready to place my order for the Vizio considering its price/performance/features ratio but when i saw both sets side by side all my plans changed.

As far as my eyes could see the matte screen used on the Vizio, supposedly to lower light reflections, did not make much of a difference as i could see about the same amount of reflections on both screens, the difference being the reflections on the Vizio looked a little less detailed (fuzzier) than on the Sony screen.
MCaugusto is offline  
post #17 of 51 Old 11-18-2016, 04:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Vizio remains tone deaf for the holidays

So one final “vent”. Has anyone else found Vizio’s management of the P Series just beyond bizarre? From product launch in late March to this morning's incredibly disappointing Black Friday sale release (no P Series models included in Vizio’s Black Friday sale), I have absolutely no idea WTH they’re doing over there. It all began so positively. A “surprise” release of a near-premium “television” with a new ecosystem, and most importantly, a reasonable price (particularly at the 75” level). Based on the specs, similar competing models for the 75” size were 2x as expensive at the time of the P-Series release. Though lacking the brand cache of their competitors (and the somewhat controversial UHD Premium moniker), the P-Series stood up well to the competitors, and given the price, was THE TV to own.

But the bloom has been off the rose for quite some time now.

It began with their “exclusive” arrangement with Best Buy – getting in bed with a company whose employees regularly trashed the model (if they even knew about it – many looked at you with a blank face having NO IDEA WTF you were talking about). Like an abused spouse, despite Best Buy’s utter indifference and ill treatment of Vizio’s new progeny, and consumers literally BEGGING Vizio on social media to add a different distributor, Vizio stubbornly REFUSED (claiming ignorance) to even provide information to consumers or industry critics on when the exclusivity would expire or when/if they would ever widen the release.

It became at least partially clear why they may have done the exclusivity arrangement within a matter of a couple weeks, as Vizio was completely unable to meet “unexpected” demand—particularly on the 75” model (and to some degree on the 65”, with fewer issues as screen sizes got smaller). Meanwhile, Sony and Samsung immediately responded by knocking down retail prices on their competing models by nearly 20%. While not directly comparable, LG Oled prices also began a precipitous fall. From May until about mid-September, while Vizio continued to struggle with its supply problems (truthfully, they were probably too engaged trying to cash out with a sale or IPO) Sony continued the price regression on its most direct comparable models while also simultaneously releasing a surprise “super” premium model. Similarly, Samsung has reduced prices on similar models to the point where only the 75” model from P-Series “might” still be a better value than the overpriced 75” SUHD Samsung model. And LG’s OLED is sufficiently affordable enough to honestly ask oneself if the extra 10” for the 75” is worth it--after all, you're paying a premium for the extra 10" now. Before, you'd have to pay the premium for the OLED and lose the 10". And if you’re looking at a 65”, it’s a no brainer—buy the OLED and never look back!! as the LG Oled 65" is nearly the same price (after rebates and promotions) as the Vizio--from authorized dealers no less!.

By the time Vizio regained its focus after its summer stumbles, solved its supply problems (and finished whoring the company itself out to buyers), the “value” proposition is now all but gone on the P-Series. Only within the last couple weeks or so did they finally expand their distributor mix. The problem now is that it’s not even difficult to find better values and prices on competing and, arguably, superior models. Further, reported “glitches” with the Vizio ecosystem remain problematic and an ongoing issue with the P-Series. And imho, those glitches seem no longer worth the trouble given the complete lack of a value proposition anymore with the P-Series.

But they weren’t done—Vizio had one final insult for consumers, “gifting” us with one final single finger salute. As Sony, Samsung and LG have all slashed prices across all their series of TVs for Black Friday related promotions, Vizio has decided to discount ALMOST every model (for the most part) across EVERY series – except for one. The P-Series remains frustratingly stuck at its initial (and no longer competitive) price.

Honestly. I don’t get it. I really don’t get it. There is NFW I’d pay full price for a Vizio P-series model at this point. In March/April? Great value. Now? It’s OVERPRICED!! It’s utterly absurd. And their entire management of this series has been nothing short of… bizarre. I really don’t get it. Is anyone paying attention over there? SMH.

I've been rooting for Vizio. But their management of the P-Series hasn't made that very easy. It's a damn shame. But honestly... there's NFW I can justify the P-Series at this point. It's truly overpriced. I can't ever recall saying that about a Vizio.

Jeff
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #18 of 51 Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MCaugusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BOSTON --- MA ---
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 358
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, that's what i call a real diatribe ! WOW !
mpgxsvcd likes this.
MCaugusto is offline  
post #19 of 51 Old 11-18-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Depends on your viewing environment, prefer a standard remote or can adapt to a tablet as your remote. Would like firmware updates that also add to picture quality(Vizio), can't speak for the 940D. Do you prefer really small bezels. 940D is attractive even when the display is off.

Vizio 600 nits, HDR10/Dolby Vision, Tablet Remote, No tuner, no bloom, gray metallic bezel. 1080p upscaling IMO is phenomenal

Sony 940D 1000 nits, HDR10 only, standard remote, tuner, some blooming, beautiful no bezel design, great upscaling of 480p to 1080p material.
I don't think the 940D is 1000 nits. I believe it to be in the 700-800 range.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #20 of 51 Old 11-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, that's what i call a real diatribe ! WOW !
"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, that's what i call a real diatribe ! WOW !
"

Hahaha. Call it a "stream of consciousness" at 4AM in the morning resulting from viewing Vizio's Black Friday sales and recognizing (yet again) that Vizio has NF interest in increasing its sales volume for its P-Series.

I do a little bit of data analysis from time to time. And one data point that can be instructive of sales volume is the number of reviews provided by consumers on seller's websites. Since up until very recently, the only retail store one could purchase the 55" or larger P-Series models was at Best Buy, I'll focus there. In particular, if you look at the reviews of the 75" model (which used to be the best value proposition of the different sizes), you'll notice reviews tend to be "clumped" by various dates (this allows a certain degree of "tracking" the timeline of Vizio's supply issues). What you'll ALSO notice is how relatively infrequent new reviews have been posted in recent months relative to its closest competing model -- the Sony XBR75X940D. The P75 had more reviews and generally more glowing reviews than the Sony for much of the spring and into mid-summer. But since August, right before Sony dropped its retail price to around $5,000 (and falling), reviews on the Sony have VASTLY outpaced the P75, and now outnumber the P75 by a count of 114-52.

Incredibly, only 15 of those 52 Vizio P75 reviews have occurred since the end of July. Contrast that to the Sony--where 80!! of its 114 reviews have occurred since the end of July. Basically, on July 30, the P75 had 37 reviews posted on at BB compared to the 940D's 34 reviews! In other words, it's very likely that the P75 sales volume was outpacing the 940D as of the end of July. But since August 1st? Complete reversal! And it's a ROUT for the Sony! The Sony has been selling like hotcakes (based on number of reviews) and the Vizio has been stagnant (more likely, sales volumes have significantly declined--maybe Vizio really didn't "solve" their supply issues -- people just stopped buying them!). That is STUNNING! Because the Sony still retailed at nearly $6,000 in early August, not dropping to $5,000 until the latter part of the month. And since then, has dropped to its current $4,299 price point (soon to be $3,999 for Black Friday). I concede that with a little work, one didn't have to pay full retail--but there weren't that many discounts available, so you were still paying a premium. The Sony was still pricier "on the street" than the Vizio up until the last month or so. Still, the Sony has CRUSHED the Vizio P75 based on consumer review counts since August. I've been DUMBFOUNDED by the lack of a competitive response from Vizio. No promotional sales. No price drops. And until a couple weeks ago, ONE distributor. I mean WTF is going on over there!?! The wheels may be turning but the hamster has long since left the cage.

It's a STUNNING failure, imho. Vizio has been actively managing its other series--offering promotions and sales of a varying degree in response to competitors. But the P-Series has been treated like the red-haired stepchild. Yet it's basically their only near premium TV. The M-Series is a decent TV, don't get me wrong. But it's basically an entry-level, borderline mid-line model. The P-Series is their crown jewel (since the R series was basically just a grand, somewhat failed experiment). And from the outside, it looks like they want very little to do with actually selling it. They just want to point at it and claim they're now on par with the big boys. Maybe they can't sell it anywhere near a profit. It's certainly possible. In fact, it seems likely given their behavior. But if that's the case, they're in trouble. The only reason to buy a Vizio was near premium quality at mid-level prices. But with OLED prices dropping, that mid-level "price point" has dropped, too. And if they're management of the P-Series is any indication, they can't really offer mid-level prices for "near premium" quality in an environment of declining prices. So for me, Vizio isn't quite ready for the big leagues.

OK. I'll stop. Just my $0.02.

Jeff
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #21 of 51 Old 11-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
In response to ffactoryxx PM (sorry, I'm not allowed to respond via PM yet -- I guess I don't have enough posts yet). It also won't let me insert links in a replay. Sheesh!

Just go to hdguru.com homepage and scroll down to the third story or so. They have the "leaked" Sony 4k UHD TV Black Friday prices there.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #22 of 51 Old 11-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
In response to ffactoryxx PM (sorry, I'm not allowed to respond via PM yet -- I guess I don't have enough posts yet). It also won't let me insert links in a replay. Sheesh!

Just go to hdguru.com homepage and scroll down to the third story or so. They have the "leaked" Sony 4k UHD TV Black Friday prices there.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
And after all THAT, I ended up buying the P75 after the unannounced Black Friday price drop. If I was overly self-important or nihilistic, I'd say they "heard" my rant. Even added free shipping back into the equation.

I was planning on ordering the umax85 during the overnight flash sale. Doing the usual "last second" price checking Thursday afternoon and noticed Costco had dropped the price on the P75 to $2,949 Thursday afternoon--though no other vendors had followed suit yet (including Vizio.com). With tax, it still was about $3200 -- a little more than I preferred (really wanted to get it under $3k--otherwise, it seemed better values existed with other models). The Costco return policy and extended warranty might have made it worth it. But was kind of "hemming and hawing" a bit. But rechecked Vizio's site Thursday night and saw the same price drop (finally) on Vizio's site. Used the 5% email signup promotion and the free shipping to get it down to a hair over $2800. And at this price point, to me? That's a fair price / decent value for the P75.

I may end up regretting not rolling the dice and springing for the umax85. "Rumor" is it's basically a repacked / resized Vizio R model (I'm virtually 100% certain that rumor started from a single tweet from CNET reviewer, David Katzmaier, that may have since been deleted since I can't find it anymore, where he "noted" the specification similarities between the umax85 and Vizio R). If that's true, the umax is probably the way to go. But given delivery was 6-8 weeks at a minimum for the umax, the lack of professional reviews, and a decent price/value on the P75, I decided to go with the bird in hand and get the P75. No wall-mounting issues to deal with, lots of reviews, lots of online help available, etc. So... fingers crossed I didn't jump the gun and turn out to regret the purchase in 3 months.

Anyone else pull the trigger on a 75+ inch model? Would be curious to hear what influenced choices (including the choice to hold off).
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #23 of 51 Old 11-25-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
And after all THAT, I ended up buying the P75 after the unannounced Black Friday price drop. If I was overly self-important or nihilistic, I'd say they "heard" my rant. Even added free shipping back into the equation.

I was planning on ordering the umax85 during the overnight flash sale. Doing the usual "last second" price checking Thursday afternoon and noticed Costco had dropped the price on the P75 to $2,949 Thursday afternoon--though no other vendors had followed suit yet (including Vizio.com). With tax, it still was about $3200 -- a little more than I preferred (really wanted to get it under $3k--otherwise, it seemed better values existed with other models). The Costco return policy and extended warranty might have made it worth it. But was kind of "hemming and hawing" a bit. But rechecked Vizio's site Thursday night and saw the same price drop (finally) on Vizio's site. Used the 5% email signup promotion and the free shipping to get it down to a hair over $2800. And at this price point, to me? That's a fair price / decent value for the P75.

I may end up regretting not rolling the dice and springing for the umax85. "Rumor" is it's basically a repacked / resized Vizio R model (I'm virtually 100% certain that rumor started from a single tweet from CNET reviewer, David Katzmaier, that may have since been deleted since I can't find it anymore, where he "noted" the specification similarities between the umax85 and Vizio R). If that's true, the umax is probably the way to go. But given delivery was 6-8 weeks at a minimum for the umax, the lack of professional reviews, and a decent price/value on the P75, I decided to go with the bird in hand and get the P75. No wall-mounting issues to deal with, lots of reviews, lots of online help available, etc. So... fingers crossed I didn't jump the gun and turn out to regret the purchase in 3 months.

Anyone else pull the trigger on a 75+ inch model? Would be curious to hear what influenced choices (including the choice to hold off).
I did through COSTCO last night.

3250 for P75 + Costco ST 3 year warranty + membership.

Was going to do Vizio.com but they have a restocking fee and your responsible for shipping return. I also noticed I get charged tax. After all is said and done, Costco is probably the right choice.
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #24 of 51 Old 11-26-2016, 02:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I did through COSTCO last night.

3250 for P75 + Costco ST 3 year warranty + membership.

Was going to do Vizio.com but they have a restocking fee and your responsible for shipping return. I also noticed I get charged tax. After all is said and done, Costco is probably the right choice.
No doubt about that. I think if one was getting charged tax on Vizio.com, you may as well just go with Costco. Even if Vizio was charging the $145 shipping still, it might have been worth it. But between the tax savings and Vizio adding the free shipping again (like it was for the first 3 months or so after the release) for the 75" model, savings for me was over $400 to just order it direct. And at this point, the only way I'd return it is if it's damaged/defective--or just so gawd awful to me that I'd pay someone to take it off my hands--which doesn't seem likely. And in the event of a defective unit, I'd think the restocking fee and the return shipping wouldn't apply. But perhaps I'm wrong about that. But just can't imagine they'd charge you to return a defective unit. But who knows?

For now, I used the savings to buy a Roku Premiere+. And will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any news on Dolby Vision enabled 4k Blu Ray players (rumored to possibly hit the market sometime in the first half of next year--but pure speculation from what I can tell). This will (hopefully) be the last LED TV I buy. I suppose QLED could keep LEDs alive a bit longer. But given the rapid improvements and expansion of OLED panel production (and corresponding efficiency gains bringing reduced prices), I would think 75"+ OLED panels will be reasonable (perhaps primary) options for large format displays in 3-5 years. There doesn't seem to be much expectation for major quality improvements for 2017 LED models (at least according to various professional reviewers/analysts)--just more bells and whistles (and perhaps more HDR capable TVs at lower price points). I guess we'll find out soon enough. If I can make it two years w/o getting the itch to upgrade, it'll have been worth it. If I'm kicking myself in 2 months... well... I guess I'll wish I'd bought from Costco
Jeffrey Suchocki is offline  
post #25 of 51 Old 11-26-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
No doubt about that. I think if one was getting charged tax on Vizio.com, you may as well just go with Costco. Even if Vizio was charging the $145 shipping still, it might have been worth it. But between the tax savings and Vizio adding the free shipping again (like it was for the first 3 months or so after the release) for the 75" model, savings for me was over $400 to just order it direct. And at this point, the only way I'd return it is if it's damaged/defective--or just so gawd awful to me that I'd pay someone to take it off my hands--which doesn't seem likely. And in the event of a defective unit, I'd think the restocking fee and the return shipping wouldn't apply. But perhaps I'm wrong about that. But just can't imagine they'd charge you to return a defective unit. But who knows?

For now, I used the savings to buy a Roku Premiere+. And will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any news on Dolby Vision enabled 4k Blu Ray players (rumored to possibly hit the market sometime in the first half of next year--but pure speculation from what I can tell). This will (hopefully) be the last LED TV I buy. I suppose QLED could keep LEDs alive a bit longer. But given the rapid improvements and expansion of OLED panel production (and corresponding efficiency gains bringing reduced prices), I would think 75"+ OLED panels will be reasonable (perhaps primary) options for large format displays in 3-5 years. There doesn't seem to be much expectation for major quality improvements for 2017 LED models (at least according to various professional reviewers/analysts)--just more bells and whistles (and perhaps more HDR capable TVs at lower price points). I guess we'll find out soon enough. If I can make it two years w/o getting the itch to upgrade, it'll have been worth it. If I'm kicking myself in 2 months... well... I guess I'll wish I'd bought from Costco
Maybe I should cancel, save the $150 from going through Vizio and get a UHD player

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #26 of 51 Old 11-26-2016, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Suchocki View Post
No doubt about that. I think if one was getting charged tax on Vizio.com, you may as well just go with Costco. Even if Vizio was charging the $145 shipping still, it might have been worth it. But between the tax savings and Vizio adding the free shipping again (like it was for the first 3 months or so after the release) for the 75" model, savings for me was over $400 to just order it direct. And at this point, the only way I'd return it is if it's damaged/defective--or just so gawd awful to me that I'd pay someone to take it off my hands--which doesn't seem likely. And in the event of a defective unit, I'd think the restocking fee and the return shipping wouldn't apply. But perhaps I'm wrong about that. But just can't imagine they'd charge you to return a defective unit. But who knows?

For now, I used the savings to buy a Roku Premiere+. And will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any news on Dolby Vision enabled 4k Blu Ray players (rumored to possibly hit the market sometime in the first half of next year--but pure speculation from what I can tell). This will (hopefully) be the last LED TV I buy. I suppose QLED could keep LEDs alive a bit longer. But given the rapid improvements and expansion of OLED panel production (and corresponding efficiency gains bringing reduced prices), I would think 75"+ OLED panels will be reasonable (perhaps primary) options for large format displays in 3-5 years. There doesn't seem to be much expectation for major quality improvements for 2017 LED models (at least according to various professional reviewers/analysts)--just more bells and whistles (and perhaps more HDR capable TVs at lower price points). I guess we'll find out soon enough. If I can make it two years w/o getting the itch to upgrade, it'll have been worth it. If I'm kicking myself in 2 months... well... I guess I'll wish I'd bought from Costco
You may be able to get Costco to come down another 5% but YMMV.

I would look into the new Xbox One as it has a UHD player and TV tuner capabilities (the Vizio lacks one).

At those prices looks like the P75 pulls ahead. How is Vizio customer service/reliability these days compared to Sony?
Brien is offline  
post #27 of 51 Old 11-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I did through COSTCO last night.

3250 for P75 + Costco ST 3 year warranty + membership.

Was going to do Vizio.com but they have a restocking fee and your responsible for shipping return. I also noticed I get charged tax. After all is said and done, Costco is probably the right choice.

Ordered my P75 from Costco today for $2949.99 for Cyber Monday...
tekie999 is offline  
post #28 of 51 Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekie999 View Post
Ordered my P75 from Costco today for $2949.99 for Cyber Monday...
Plus tax right? If so you got the same deal. I just needed a membership and bought the three yr warranty.

Btw this TV cam be had on Vizio.com for about $2800 if you don't get taxed in your state.
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #29 of 51 Old 11-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
Plus tax right? If so you got the same deal. I just needed a membership and bought the three yr warranty.

Btw this TV cam be had on Vizio.com for about $2800 if you don't get taxed in your state.

yup plus tax... I get taxed in NC on Vizio.com too so it made perfect sense to make the deal @ Costco..
tekie999 is offline  
post #30 of 51 Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Price matched the p75 at Best Buy. Delivery in Thursday to replace my lg UH8500.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fastblack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off