AVS Forum banner

Hisense H8C vs. Samsung KS8000, I Need Help!

5K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  BOSTON-HD 
#1 ·
About 3 weeks ago I bought the Hisense H8C. Great TV for the price. Super deep blacks and amazing PQ. Never seen a television look so good. I use it as a PC monitor and with 444 it's absolutely phenomenal.

That being said, Yesterday I went to BestBuy and bought the Samsung KS8000 because of all the amazing things I've heard about it, just to compare and decide which one I want to keep.

Conclusion?
When it comes to PQ I have to say I give to the H8C. It seems to have deeper blacks than the KS8000 and better color accuracy and white balance. Now the KS8000 does have deeper colors but they don't seem to be accurate no matter what settings I use (Almost accurate but still seem a little off). I've used several different calibration settings and can't seem to remove this very slight green tint it has (Unnoticeable until compared sbs with the H8C). Also, as I said, the blacks and PQ on the H8C are very impressive. I've compared using Netflix, and several 10 bit HEVC sources I've downloaded, also, GTA V. The Hisense always seem to look just a tad bit better.

Yes the KS gets brighter and yes it has better HDR, Although from what I've seen, I'm not very impressed with the HDR on either one. Maybe I haven't seen the right content yet. Any Suggestions?

Wondering if anyone else has compared these 2 and if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do to get the colors correct and possibly deeper blacks. I've lowered the back light, brightness, changed gamma, contrast, smart LED, HDMI black level is set to normal, HDMI UHD color is on. I've tried multiple combinations but no matter what the blacks are just better on the H8C. I really wanted to be impressed with the KS but so far only thing that I'm impressed with are the deeper colors, which I do enjoy, but I also enjoy the very deep blacks of the H8C. The PQ is very impressive on the KS but as I said it looks no better than the H8C and I actually think the H8C looks just a tad bit better, IMO.

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated. Let me know if you've experienced anything similar. THANKS!

Sorry if I wasn't very thorough in this post. If you need more info from me please let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I agree they aren't in the same league price wise or even ratings wise but I assure you the H8C gives the KS a run for it's money. I think you'd have to see for your self to really understand, since ratings say other wise. I'd really like to know where the KS really shines because honestly I don't see it. And I am definitely a pixel peeper, always have been. Surely it's better than the $450 H8C!?

There's no real difference in PQ, although imo the H8C looks better. The H8C has deeper blacks but the KS has deeper more vibrant colors. I think I'll keep both lol. I tried to replicate the vibrance from the KS on the H8C and couldn't even come close. Same with trying to replicate the blacks from the H8C on the KS, couldn't come close.

I hope someone can give me some good advice on how to make this thing really shine. Thx.

#4 ·
Settings used would be helpful. Hard to make something shine without knowing a few facts :)

Reactions: DiGiTaL DOPE
#5 ·
I used calibration settings from ratings.com. Also used settings from this site and settings from a few different youtube videos.

They all looked pretty good but still a slight green tint compared to the Hisense. Also deep reds look almost hot pink no matter what settings I seem to use, just very slightly, would be unnoticeable if i didn't have the Hisense right next to it. Also blues seem to be a little faded compared to the Hisense. Or maybe the blues on the hisense are a little exaggerated. Ugh not sure.

The blacks is what really bothers me. I can't get them as deep as the hisense and it's pretty noticeable since they're sbs.

I'm using HDMI 1 in PC mode.
Special Viewing modes are all off
backlight 12
brightness 34
contrast 93
sharpness 57
color 50 and greyed out??
Tint 50/50 greyed out
digital cleanview off and greyed out
Auto Motion plus off and greyed out
SMart LED high
film mode off
HDMI Black level normal
HDMI UHD color on
Dynamic contrast off greyerd out
Color tone standard
Gamma -3
RGB ony mode off
color space native
white balance 2 point
r offset -7
g offset -6
b offset -8
R gain -1
g gain -5
b gain 8

These setting do look really good, don't get me wrong. it looks excellent but next to the hisense I can see many issues. Specifically with color accuracy, white balance and blacks.

#6 · (Edited)
You will have to pick between better contrast ratio or brighter display.

pick your poison.

You can try a bias light for the KS ,I personally like to watch movies in a dark enviroment. Just like in the comercial cinemas.

The Vizio P series is a very good option.It Supports Dolby vision and HDR10.

Reactions: DiGiTaL DOPE
#11 ·
NICE! It has an amazing image but I see no real improvement over the hisense PQ, besides the more vibrant colors, which I couldn't replicate on the hisense. Oh and better HDR because of the more vibrant colors and it's 1000 nits peak brightness. I watched some of marco polo and wasn't too impressed. I don't think I've seen HDR in it's full glory, yet.

If I had to choose, at this point I would keep the Hisense. But pretty sure I'm keeping both :).

You can always return it if you're not happy. If there's no answer by the time you get it maybe you and I can figure it out.

I also noticed on the hisense that netflix loads very fast and theres no pixelation the first 20-30 seconds like I normally see on other devices. It's perfect quality right from the start. Is it like this for you too? On the KS there is pixelation and I've seen it happen randomly throughout whatever show I'm watching, just here and there, not a big deal I guess, especially if your using an external streaming device.

I like the hisense remote better also. The buttons are more responsive than on the KS. My KS also has several spots from light bleed, only noticeable in a dark room and only when the screen is completely black. Not sure if it's worth going through the hassle of exchanging it, especially since I live an hour away from best buy. If it was right down the street I definitely would.

#13 ·
I own both. A 65 KS8000 and the 50 in H8. The H8 is a very good budget TV. In isolation it looks great. But , big but, when you compare them side by side , the picture quality, despite it being bigger (supposed to look worse in 1080p because of bigger size) , is not really in the same ballpark.

Cheers

#14 ·
I'd like to know what brought you to this conclusion. What exactly are you comparing?

I also have them sbs and I think the H8 has the edge. This may be due to my picture settings, not sure. But I am a pixel peeper and I have great eyes. Imo the deep deep blacks are what gives the h8 an edge. It also has better color accuracy and white balance from what I've seen. 444 looks better too. But it's all down to preference. Maybe you prefer the more vibrant colors (which I also love and is why I'm keeping both). IMO that's the only place it wins, and of course HDR which i'm still not so convinced of. PQ looks identical and I actually see more detail on the H8 but as I said that could just be because my settings are off.

What settings are you using if you don't mind?

#20 ·
"Anyways man, If I had to choose (which I don't thankfully lol) I would choose the H8 for half the price any day. PQ is identical if not just a tad bit better. HDR goes to the KS but PQ goes to the H8 all day, imo."

I disagree, and so does my wife, the person I bought the H8 for.

Cheers

#21 ·
Right you disagree, which is fine. But I'd still like to hear some specifics on why you disagree. What exactly makes you feel the KS is better? The contrast, brightness? blacks? color? Just wondering man. I've said why I think the H8 is better. Hope you can give me some specifics, I'd really like to hear them.

#26 ·
I have them sitting in front of me right now side by side. The KS does not spank it in black levels lol.. The blacks on the Hisense are just a little deeper.

The black uniformity on the H8 is 9.1 and on the KS it's 9.8. No where near crushing it. The blacks on the h8 are very competitive. On my set they appear to be deeper. I'm hoping someone can help me get the correct settings to get the KS to show that 9.8.

I thought the same thing as you before I bought it. But side by side that's just not the case. So far, anyway. I hope that changes with the correct calibration.

#27 ·
The point is to get the correct settings and calibration so I can get the deep blacks everyone claims it has. Also to get opinions of others on the 2 tv's.

The KS should look better than the H8 but to me it just doesn't. But as I said numerous times, I don't believe I have it calibrated correctly.

I'm actually keeping both.

What do you mean by no one on this forum will believe the hype?? As if I'm trying to persuade anyone on this forum to buy it lol.. I only come here to get calibration settings and only just signed up today. Why would I care what anyone does on this forum LOL.. Advertising?? Laughable man. Just because you say it, doesn't make it so.

The people on this forum who have bought the H8 already know what it's all about. I don't need to hype it.

Regardless of what you'd like to believe, hype or not, the H8 has great PQ.

Didn't know there was so much hate for the H8 lol..

#36 ·
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Why are you trying so hard to dismiss the H8? It's obvious you prefer it, and you are only trying the KS because of what others have said. You can find all the settings you want but unless you have YOUR TVs calibrated then you will never know how accurate they can be.

#37 ·
Dismiss the H8 lol? How did you gather that? Definitely not trying to dismiss it, I'm keeping both.

The KS has colors the H8 can't even come close to. I've never seen such vibrant colors. That quantum dot display is really something special. But I was expecting for the image on the KS to be idk, clearer? sharper? More detailed? It's just not.

Exchanging the KS today because of the terrible light bleed all over the screen, only noticeable in a dark room. Hoping that will fix my blacks issue. It also seems the back of the KS is coming apart in a few places and it's leaking light.

As for calibration, I may actually look into getting them both professionally calibrated sometime in the near future, if the price is right.

#38 · (Edited)
I am a 55 inch owner, and I have been happy since day one. Don't listen to the hate, people need to justify paying double. :)

Im not insulting anyone here, but I was fine with spending $500 on my H8, till the TV manufacturers figure all this out, because they are clearly lost right now. I just wanted a TV the got me all green checks on the xbox one s.

#42 ·
Guys... this thread is crazy.

I have been researching which TV to buy as a monitor replacement for weeks.
The truth is that in 2016 there are no large pc monitors that are any good color wise.
Some of the Koreans are not bad, but you cannot find anything over a 43".

My tv research narrowed it down to two possible models :

1. the Samsung KS8000
2. Sony XBR43X800D

From what I have learned, these two models have great color, and low input lag. I also learned that the samsung has much deeper blacks than the Sony. Many compared the samsung blacks to OLED.
Before reading this post, I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Samsung.

I do not know what Input lag the Hisense has. In fact, the arrogant cretin reviewing the tv here
http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ra-hdtv-review-test-bench#TsUw7WSe0TrM4DC4.97

Makes no mention of input lag.

The fact, that he also denigrates this tv right form the start and is biased, makes me even more curious try one side by side.

I am going to use the tv for photo editing, and it will be compared to KNOWN calibrated professional monitors (8+2) (Asus, LG AH-ips).
Some of the time, I play pc games, so i am curious to know if input lag is comparable to the KS8000.

#43 ·
I bought the 55H8C (open box) for $429.99 from BB. It's a good "value" UHD set. It didn't work for me for a couple of reasons. Watching 720P/1080i/p looks hideous. I tried tweaking the picture settings several times & I couldn't find the "spot" where I was content. This was for my bedroom so I wasn't hell-bent on how HDR looks (almost non-existent on the H8C anyway) I'm using it mainly for everyday D*TV viewing (Jimmy Fallon, pulling some shows of my DVR etc.) Also....the OTA tuner is garbage. I would get 3 stations with the H8C. I returned the Hisense this morning.

I found last years Sony XBRX55810C for $599.99 today @ BB. For my application, it's night/day. Outstanding upscale with lower resolutions, strong OTA tuner (I get 15 stations now) Yes...I paid $170.00 more, but it works for me.

I'll give the Hisense it's due. Great blacks, nice 4K picture, price, full-array backlight, warranty & I even liked the simple remote! I would have kept it if the lower resolutions looked better. In the end, it's really a steal depending on what you need it for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.