Panasonic New IPS Tech 0.001 Black Level - NO OLED TALK - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vader1
  • 2 Post By sytech

post #1 of 19 Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Panasonic New IPS Tech 0.001 Black Level - NO OLED TALK

Panasonic appears to have a new liquid crystal material that can block the usually IPS LCD light leakage. Wonder if any QD tech involved.? Only for professional Studio monitor for now.

The Panasonic LCD display has developed a new IPS liquid crystal panel that achieves a contrast of more than 1 million to 1, which is 600 times larger than that of a conventional type liquid crystal display. Sample shipment began in January 2017. It is assumed to be used for HDR compatible monitor for professional used in broadcasting stations and video production studios, medical monitor, car monitor.

More info at the link:
http://news.panasonic.com/global/pre...n161128-4.html

Last edited by sytech; 11-28-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-28-2016, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Interesting. From the included image it looks like they added an extra layer between the backlight and the LCD layer. I'm guessing it's too expensive for consumer use at this point which is why they're saying it's for mastering monitors and medical displays. If it actually works on a per-pixel basis like they claim and can get costs down that could make for some great displays.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-28-2016, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Interesting. From the included image it looks like they added an extra layer between the backlight and the LCD layer. I'm guessing it's too expensive for consumer use at this point which is why they're saying it's for mastering monitors and medical displays. If it actually works on a per-pixel basis like they claim and can get costs down that could make for some great displays.
It is never going to be thin and flexible like QLED though. They will run out of time to make it cost effective for the consumer market. Sadly, I think it will remain for the professional market only. Too bad they didn't have the idea to change the LC material ten years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-28-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Damn - I dream of IPS panels that can actually do blacks properly. They are better than VA planels in every category except that one. Sadly, its like the most important PQ characteristic when it comes to overall image quality. Ugh.

Someone MUST get these IPS panels to do black. Ill be the first in line to buy one. They do 3D better too, IMO.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #5 of 19 Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Uhh... why do you keep adding "NO OLED TALK" to every single thread you make here? It's a bit childish and completely uncalled for. Since the whole Z9 thread incident has been over (and who's fault that was is debatable) things have been more or less fine over here in the LCD forum. The vast majority of owners threads and discussion threads (maybe all of them) in this section of the forum have been going on without any LCD vs. OLED wars going on. Only a few very minor incidents if anything have happened since that whole fiasco in the Z9 thread. It's over, at least for now, and adding "NO OLED TALK" to every thread you make is probably only going to make any division between LCD and OLED fans worse. I won't go on about, do what you wish, but I at least wanted to get that out.

Anyways though, interesting technology. I've always thought high contrast IPS panels should have been the goal over switching to VA panels because of VA pixel response times and viewing angle. Too bad they probably wont ever bring this technology to a consumer level, or if they do only to a very limited extent.
reallynotnick likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-29-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
Uhh... why do you keep adding "NO OLED TALK" to every single thread you make here? It's a bit childish and completely uncalled for. Since the whole Z9 thread incident has been over (and who's fault that was is debatable) things have been more or less fine over here in the LCD forum. The vast majority of owners threads and discussion threads (maybe all of them) in this section of the forum have been going on without any LCD vs. OLED wars going on. Only a few very minor incidents if anything have happened since that whole fiasco in the Z9 thread. It's over, at least for now, and adding "NO OLED TALK" to every thread you make is probably only going to make any division between LCD and OLED fans worse. I won't go on about, do what you wish, but I at least wanted to get that out.

Anyways though, interesting technology. I've always thought high contrast IPS panels should have been the goal over switching to VA panels because of VA pixel response times and viewing angle. Too bad they probably wont ever bring this technology to a consumer level, or if they do only to a very limited extent.
So frustrating. IPS should have been the norm but most mfgers went VA. Damnit. Maybe there is hope. But unlikely.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #7 of 19 Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Seems like this is dual layer LCD screen tech like some were hyping up the Z9 to be before it launched.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-29-2016, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post

Please make your own thread about this subject over in the OLED section if you wish to compare and contrast this new IPS tech with current OLED abilities. It is over here in the LED section, were it belongs and we do not wish to start yet another LCD vs OLED war.
gomo657 and mahlerfan999 like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Please make your own thread about this subject over in the OLED section if you wish to compare and contrast this new IPS tech with current OLED abilities. It is over here in the LED section, were it belongs and we do not wish to start yet another LCD vs OLED war.
I'm not trying to start a war and I'm not making a thread anywhere contrasting this IPS tech with OLED because nobody cares or wants to do that. Nobodies comparing in this thread either so you're grasping at straws here. I wouldn't have even said anything at all if not for the stupid title. I don't see anybody else in the LCD Subforum adding that to the titles of their threads and their hasn't been a Z9 thread incident in some time now.

Last edited by Vader1; 11-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-30-2016, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Seems like this is dual layer LCD screen tech like some were hyping up the Z9 to be before it launched.
It is hard to tell what exactly is going into this new tech with such limited information, but it does seem like there is another second light modulating cell. If that is the case, they owe us some royalty payments because we came up with that idea over in the Z9D speculation thread.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It is hard to tell what exactly is going into this new tech with such limited information, but it does seem like there is another second light modulating cell. If that is the case, they owe us some royalty payments because we came up with that idea over in the Z9D speculation thread.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/...ke-hdr-images-

Seems like it's exactly what's going on.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Interesting - of course production cost and scalability will ultimately define whether this can become a mainstream product. Be interesting to see whether Panasonic take a similar approach to Sony and demo this product @ces with a view to release it in the 3rd quarter (hopefully they don't produce a watered-down version like Sony has).
post #13 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Holy crap, it does look like they stole my idea to use a second LCD as a kind of shutter/light valve to illuminate the front color LCD module. I better patent my Vantablack shadow mask before Samsung uses that on their QDCF models. The problem with both of these though, is it improves LCD tech, but still will not make them thin and flexible like QLED. Hopefully, Panasonic will show this new dual LCD tech off at CES this year.

The light control unit uses a liquid crystal material having different light transmission characteristics from the liquid crystal material used for the display unit, and the display unit and the dimming unit are each independently controlled, and this time, in developing the dimming unit, Of the material, even by the 1000cd / m2 can achieve high-brightness backlighting of the light exposure, but also long-term stability, in addition to Panasonic unit structure has also been carefully improved.

http://www.goodchinabrand.com/97251000070en.html
post #14 of 19 Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Why are you saying this is your idea? It's been in existence for almost a decade now.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Why are you saying this is your idea? It's been in existence for almost a decade now.
The Apple patent for dual LCD was for glasses free 3D and the medical monitors that used it were black and white and just used it to boost brightness. My idea was changing the material in the LCM to use as a shutter to illuminate the color LCM in front of it. Now that you can actually get closer to shutting the LCM totally off you can simply boost brightness to 3000 nits and achieve 3M:1 native contrast. The problem with this is that is came to late. QDCF should be able to achieve the same effect by absorbing most of the light leakage and without the need to block 2/3 of the light can use the same current BLU and still achieve 3000-4000 nits. Still, all these tricks to make LCD tech stay competitive are merely stop gaps until thin and flexible QLED arrives in 2020.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
EIZO ColorEdge Prominence CG3145 monitor

There is this new Eizo IPS monitor which claims 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio....might be a gamechanger for LCd tech...Has been posted, not in this thread though.
http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/c...dex.html#tab02

post #17 of 19 Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
There is this new Eizo IPS monitor which claims 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio....might be a gamechanger for LCd tech...Has been posted, not in this thread though.
http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/c...dex.html#tab02

I don't know how these could be commercially viable for long. You have the Hisense 7510D claiming 3,000,000:1 contrast and early reports are no bloom or light leakage. You have the Samsung/Nanosys QDCF next year that will be even better and you have true EL-QLED down the road. Dual LCD will never be thin or cheap enough to compete.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I don't know how these could be commercially viable for long. You have the Hisense 7510D claiming 3,000,000:1 contrast and early reports are no bloom or light leakage. You have the Samsung/Nanosys QDCF next year that will be even better and you have true EL-QLED down the road. Dual LCD will never be thin or cheap enough to compete.
I think some of the newer technologies are further out than we'd like based on what was shown recently at Display Week.

Frankly, as someone who use to have a huge rear projection HDTV, I don't care how freakin' "thin" it is. I'd gladly take a 55", 4" thick IPS TV at end of year based on Panasonic's method of light-modulating pixel dimming rather than having to stick my head in a vise to get decent contrast from yet another VA panel with zone lighting. But I get that the public has been exposed to thin TV's for quite a while now and are unlikely to want to go back.

I'd take odds that Eizo's CG3145 is based on Panasonic's new IPS panel, based on one of the videos I watched where the marketing rep was being purposely cagey on camera when asked how it all worked. That points to a partnership that is being kept under wraps for the time being.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2018, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
the Panasonic high contrast IPS LCD display is still out there. found this recent video on the Eizo CG3145 pro grading monitor. it sure makes the LCD next to it look lacking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page