Vizio P-series VS Samsung KS8000 with pics - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalkJD View Post
No the Samsung silly....
That's the one, I was asking about.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalkJD View Post
No the Samsung silly....
To clarify, my original question was about Dolby Vision on the P Series, with a backlight down to 40. You have to have firmware 3.0.12.2 though.

post #33 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
its amazing people who have equipment dont have the slightest idea how to calibrate a tv.i think you need a professional calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Every ks8000 owner says the vizio P series is crushing blacks LOL

The pictures match exactly what every review of the P series says. 1 of the best lcds for black levels ever made.

Despite what you guys say about the vizio, the ks8000 looks aweful here. Man up. It's practically talked about on a daily basis in the owners thread that the ks8000 requires biased lights to hide all these issues. Sad but true.
man up. i have never seen you say anything good about the samsung. How do you like a broke tv after being out 2 years. i mean the vizio. worst customer service ever. every time they try to fix something thru firmware something else screws up. lol the p series honestly is a joke.
post #35 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons View Post
man up. i have never seen you say anything good about the samsung. How do you like a broke tv after being out 2 years. i mean the vizio. worst customer service ever. every time they try to fix something thru firmware something else screws up. lol the p series honestly is a joke.
Visit Vizio threads much do you.

post #36 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
its amazing people who have equipment dont have the slightest idea how to calibrate a tv.i think you need a professional calibration.
Please enlighten me. How does a professional calibration fix blooming, flashlighting and screen uniformity? If rtings.com is to be trusted, HDR settings should've been left alone, including MAX backlight and SMART LED to HIGH. Now let's combine all of those settings with an EDGE LIT LED and somehow produce a uniform image.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Is this what we've come to expect now living in a post-plasma world?

Serious question. Has Samsung ever produced a TV picked unanimously by professional critics? Like the Pioneer Kuros or the Panasonic VT/ZT series or the LG OLEDs?
post #37 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 331
PNF8500 is one of the best TVs ever and the latest KS9800 get pretty high praise.
losservatore likes this.

post #38 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12437 Post(s)
Liked: 11618
Quote:

You must not read my other posts, I have given lots of praise to the ks8000, but the bottom edge lighting was a horrific move by Samsung.

I think the samsung KS line is easily superior in the following areas:

-Colors: pop and vibrancy are unmatched

-Upscaling

-HDR performance (minus blacks).

-Glossy panel: The vizios matte panel looks aweful and has a very dry look. The wet inky look on the samsungs is similar to the oled tvs. I would never buy a vizio for this reason alone.

-Moth eye anti glare so it's more suitable for bright living rooms

I have a ks9800, so I get ks8000 performance with vizio blacks combined along with better precision and better shadow detail. So I'm not hating on samsung, just the bottom LED design.

Last edited by ray0414; 01-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
post #39 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Obviously the Fald is going to have a better contrast and black performance. There shouldn't be a doubt on that.

I'm not a fan of edge lit and I think that I never will.
post #40 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Obviously the Fald is going to have a better contrast and black performance. There shouldn't be a doubt on that.

I'm not a fan of edge lit and I think that I never will.
Problem is, some just want accept this fact and move on. It doesn't mean what ever display you have, it doesn't have strengths. The Samsung KS models, Vizio P-E Series, Sony XBR Z9D-900c, and LG OLEDS all have strengths and weaknesses.

You choose your acceptable strengths and weaknesses.

post #41 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Sorry I didn't specify why I prefer fald or emmisive.

I'm a movie buff that love to watch movies in a dark environment with no bias light. That's why a fald or emissive better suits me. I'm a big fan of sci fi movies.

It seems that the Samsung Q9 could have a similar backlight system as the Sony slim backlight drive , I have never seen the performance but I think that I could live with an edge lit backlight like the one on the Sony.

Last edited by losservatore; 01-15-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #42 of 53 Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I have a ks9800, so I get ks8000 performance with vizio blacks combined along with better precision and better shadow detail. So I'm not hating on samsung, just the bottom LED design.
Im a previous F8500 owner and do appreciate quality blacks but the best screen to date Ive ever seen was a KS9800 playing googles The World In HDR.

Last edited by joe75xp; 01-15-2017 at 05:26 PM.
post #43 of 53 Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I've read through every page of the Vizio P series and Samsung KS8000 thread and still unsure which set to purchase.

Currently own a Sharp LC-70LE650U, looking to replace with either Vizio P65-C1 or Samsung KS8000. TV would be in a completely dark theater room so initially I was planning on going with the Vizio but a lot of my channels with Comcast are 720p/1080i so that made me lean more towards the Samsung which seems to have better upscaling.

I do play games from time to time (COD) so response time is somewhat of an issue. I know both TV's would be much better than what I have, I'm used to the cloudiness and bleed of the Sharp but wondering......how bad is the Vizio's upscaling...........how bad is the Samsung's deep blacks, bleed in issues?

Thanks....

Last edited by Goldglv; 02-08-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #44 of 53 Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldglv View Post
I think I've read through every page of the Vizio P series and Samsung KS8000 thread and still unsure which set to purchase.

Currently own a Sharp LC-70LE650U, looking to replace with either Vizio P65-C1 or Samsung KS8000. TV would be in a completely dark theater room so initially I was planning on going with the Vizio but a lot of my channels with Comcast are 720p/1080i so that made me lean more towards the Samsung which seems to have better upscaling.

I do play games from time to time (COD) so response time is somewhat of an issue. I know both TV's would be much better than what I have, I'm used to the cloudiness and bleed of the Sharp but wondering......how bad is the Vizio's upscaling...........how bad is the Samsung's deep blacks, bleed in issues?

Thanks....
I've read comments for both displays, suggesting upscaling is disappointing for both. It kind of comes down to a tablet or remote. HDR gaming input lag(Samsung 24ms/Vizio 43 input).

post #45 of 53 Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Thanks....
If you've read every page of both threads and this then you have as much information as there is. Bottom line is that they're both solid sets and you have to pick your strengths - Vizio is FALD and will have better blacks but many feel upscaling is inferior and it doesn't get nearly as bright for HDr, Samsung will get very bright and many seem to prefer its 'pop' but it will some bleed and blooming (particularly in HDR) and it has construction concerns, input lag is objective if you think the 20ms makes that big of a difference.

This YouTuber has a few videos comparing them head-to-head as well if you find it helpful: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPgYR7ROLfQ

Ultimately, both good sets with different strengths. It's your call.
post #46 of 53 Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldglv;50590145[B
]I think I've read through every page of the Vizio P series and Samsung KS8000 thread and still unsure which set to purchase.[/B]

Thanks....
Have you "seen" the TV's yourself? The forums are biased and most members are just providing their experience, and most of them unsubstantiated and unscientific. I have a Vizio P myself, and I will not speak a word about it, lest I demonstrate a bias. Do it the way the OP did, get two and return one if you can't visit a store and demo it in an environment to your liking. Costco usually has a 90 days return policy. Or go to BestBuy and tell them you will get both but keep one, if you really have a guilty feeling about a future return. I also like the Bestbuy's Magnolia sections, where they have multiple theater room setup with good dimmable lighting. The guys are often helpful to let you experience and make a conscious decision.

A lot of us give a lot of value to forum posts, to the point of following like a sheep and fooling our own judgment.
post #47 of 53 Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Wow....just got out of Online Chat with Vizio.....this guy was trying to tell me that the Vizio D Series has a NATIVE REFRESH RATE of 120hz. Unless I'm mistaken I thought Native was 60hz?

Reason I'm mentioning the D Series is because this is the TV Squaretrade offered to give me since my current Sharp was unrepairable. I was hoping to get a gift card or something from them and purchase either the P Series or Samsung I mentioned in this post.

Just very irritated that they're trying to force me to take that TV. Still arguing with them but if the D Series has a NATIVE refresh rate of 60hz, I think that's going to look terrible on a 70" TV...
post #48 of 53 Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Just wanted to update everyone....after going back and forth with SquareTrade over email and refusing to accept the TV's they were offering me, they actually agreed to refund my original purchase price of the Sharp TV I bought off Amazon. I guess a little persistence pays off.

So I'm still trying to decide between these 2 TV's, does anyone know if the prices will drop more as the 2017 models become more available? Or do you think these TV's most likely won't go down too much more....

Currently Costco has these prices:

Samsung 65" KS8000 - $1679.99
Vizio 65" P65-C1 $1549.99
post #49 of 53 Old 02-23-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Wink

Quote:
Just wanted to update everyone....after going back and forth with SquareTrade over email and refusing to accept the TV's they were offering me, they actually agreed to refund my original purchase price of the Sharp TV I bought off Amazon. I guess a little persistence pays off.

So I'm still trying to decide between these 2 TV's, does anyone know if the prices will drop more as the 2017 models become more available? Or do you think these TV's most likely won't go down too much more....

Currently Costco has these prices:

Samsung 65" KS8000 - $1679.99
Vizio 65" P65-C1 $1549.99
The Vizio P65 will continue on for at least another few months. There will be no 2017 Vizio P-series released this year. Instead there will be a 2017 M-series that is essentially the same as the 2016 P-series. Once the 2017 M-series is fully established you will see the 2016 P-series slowly phase out just like the 2014 P-series did in 2015. The prices will drop somewhat then. However, that probably won't be until later this summer.

At those prices both of those TVs are good choices. Honestly, as long as you are sure that you will never want Dolby Vision either one of them will probably fit your needs. If you ever think you might want Dolby Vision then you already know which one to get.
post #50 of 53 Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey guys, this was originally a Vizio P vs KS8000 comparison thread. How did the KS9800s get included? I was originally interested in the Vizio P series but ended up getting a 55KS800D from Costco. I'm returning the Samsung today. I just wasn't satisfied and felt it wasn't sufficiently better than the 4 year old Samsung that I still have. Fortunately, I was able to do an extended side by side comparison like that of the OP. Of course, I couldn't compare with 4kHDR titles, but was underwhelmed by most of the HDR offerings from Netflix and Amazon.

Will wait a bit to decide on a replacement. Have decided that the Vizio and Samsung 8 series are not really equivalent to the higher end sets .. eg KS9800, 930D, and LG 55B7. One of my concerns about the KS was the lack of Dolby Vision. I have friends who are Colorists and who have lots of current work on Dolby Vision. I am reconciling myself to spending about twice what I paid for the KS800D to have something that I will be satisfied with.
post #51 of 53 Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob38 View Post
Hey guys, this was originally a Vizio P vs KS8000 comparison thread. How did the KS9800s get included? I was originally interested in the Vizio P series but ended up getting a 55KS800D from Costco. I'm returning the Samsung today. I just wasn't satisfied and felt it wasn't sufficiently better than the 4 year old Samsung that I still have. Fortunately, I was able to do an extended side by side comparison like that of the OP. Of course, I couldn't compare with 4kHDR titles, but was underwhelmed by most of the HDR offerings from Netflix and Amazon.

Will wait a bit to decide on a replacement. Have decided that the Vizio and Samsung 8 series are not really equivalent to the higher end sets .. eg KS9800, 930D, and LG 55B7. One of my concerns about the KS was the lack of Dolby Vision. I have friends who are Colorists and who have lots of current work on Dolby Vision. I am reconciling myself to spending about twice what I paid for the KS800D to have something that I will be satisfied with.
My thoughts are that it truly depends on the person viewing, the environment the TV is in, and their history with TVs. For me, I came from a FALD TV before I had my KS9000, which I bought precisely because I know I am picky with light control. Well, I think the KS9000 and KS8000 are both excellent sets for dark scenes, considering the fact that they are edge-lit. I watch movies in a room with absolutely no external light, and a non-defective KS-series will do about 90% of what I want it to. But, it's that last 10%, those dark scenes where a single object is illuminated, where it didn't do so well. The night scenes of Beach Buggy Boys part I and II of The Grand Tour does a good job of highlighting, pardon the pun, these flaws.

That being said, with the lights on and when the room is illuminated by sunlight, I found it impossible to see these same defects. And I looked for them. The blacks are very deep, too. A great example of this is the loading screen on Skyrim, which has some bright object or figure on an otherwise pitch-black background, and that background is eerily-black. It looks fantastic.

Basically, the things that I notice (or people on here who are also particular about dark scenes) are so minute that most people won't notice. I'd probably have to pause a scene and point it out. If you're in a relatively bright room, or use bias lighting, these same defects are going to be very difficult to see.
post #52 of 53 Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I choose FALD for the contrast ratio gains, conpared to edge lit.

post #53 of 53 Old 04-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
My thoughts are that it truly depends on the person viewing, the environment the TV is in, and their history with TVs. For me, I came from a FALD TV before I had my KS9000, which I bought precisely because I know I am picky with light control. Well, I think the KS9000 and KS8000 are both excellent sets for dark scenes, considering the fact that they are edge-lit. I watch movies in a room with absolutely no external light, and a non-defective KS-series will do about 90% of what I want it to. But, it's that last 10%, those dark scenes where a single object is illuminated, where it didn't do so well. The night scenes of Beach Buggy Boys part I and II of The Grand Tour does a good job of highlighting, pardon the pun, these flaws.

That being said, with the lights on and when the room is illuminated by sunlight, I found it impossible to see these same defects. And I looked for them. The blacks are very deep, too. A great example of this is the loading screen on Skyrim, which has some bright object or figure on an otherwise pitch-black background, and that background is eerily-black. It looks fantastic.

Basically, the things that I notice (or people on here who are also particular about dark scenes) are so minute that most people won't notice. I'd probably have to pause a scene and point it out. If you're in a relatively bright room, or use bias lighting, these same defects are going to be very difficult to see.
It's a tough choice for me. I owned both a KS8000 and P series at the same time, and found the KS8000 unbearable. I was booting up ESO on my PS4Pro with HDR, and when it came time to adjust the game's brightness on boot-up, a huge vertical column of blooming took up the middle of the screen. It was so bad that I could barely calibrate the game brightness with it there. I appreciate your thoughts about how rare those times might come across, but it does mentally bug me knowing that fault is there. There is a large window in my small room that constantly shines glare on my TV, so I figure the KS8000 would trump the P's picture most of the time I'm able to play, though. I'm just at a lose. I ended up returning both as they both were too small, however I'm back on the market for a 65-inch from Costco, but I still can't make up my mind.

From what I've learned, this is how I rationalize the pros and cons of either:

Vizio P - has no faults (blooming, bleeds) in screen from design or materials; has great blacks, but doesn't get as bright as a KS8000; slower boot up times and a less-than-desirable UI; more prone to reflections thus negating some of the benefits of a good picture during the day.

KS8000 - has severe blooming and bleeding in dark environments on black backgrounds with bright images in foreground; higher spot brightness (instances of light such as explosions, sunrays, etc.); less prone to reflections; appealing UI and fast boot-up time.

With writing out the pros and cons like that, it feels like the KS8000 has more noticeable faults, but less noticeable benefits. Still, I'm at a loss at which ones was better. I might just take a step down from the $1500-1600 range of these two displays and get something cheap for the time being; I hate spending a lot of money but feeling like I'm making a compromise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page