TCL ROKU TV Owners - Any Interest - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By dennphill
  • 1 Post By rockaway1836
  • 1 Post By bballfan8632

post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TCL ROKU TV Owners - Any Interest

Is there any interest (or value?) in starting an OFFICIAL TCL ROKU TV Owners' thread? Let's hear about your experiences...set-ups, and issues!

Mine: I started out with TCL 55UP120a that I bought from my local Sam's Club for $489 in Jun 2017. Because it was a ROKU and because it was pretty inexpensive, I decided - and I hardly ever do this! - to get the Sam's Club 4-year Protection and 24/7 Tech Support for an additional $49. Lots of trouble setting it up. (I am familiar with ROKU devices, having had a ROKU 2 and a ROKU 3 for the past few years.) Have a Yamaha Home Theater Receiver also, with connections to a couple of front speakers and to (ceiling built-in) rear speakers and a sub-w that I wanted to keep. And I have a cable box (Cox Communications Cisco Explorer) for regular cable service and finally a Sony DVD payer for the occasional disc movies. I tried about every option for connections - trying to route everything to the TCL ROKU TV then all to the Yamaha receiver with an HDMI between the TV and the receiver - before settling on the HDMI and going through the receiver. Using a high-speed HDMI cable with ARC I still had issues. Help through Sam's just got me to TCL who tried, but were not successful, in resolutions - several tries. Lots of screen's going blank and similar. Little consistency in issues. In August, a few months later, they decided to replace the unit (TV) and I received new TCL 55UP130 - apparently a later model from the original 120. (My take-away is that the original TV - the 55UP120 - had some fault.) So the replacement has been working pretty well since - nearly 6 months later - but still has issues going from streaming on the TCL ROKU TV channel (where the receiver needs to be in "Audio 1" input mode to get sound...and then going to Cox Cable programming, when I need to have the receiver's input set to "HDMI 1." Sometimes (well, frequently) it switches OK, but other times it does not. I have to manually haul out the receiver's remote and manually select the proper input audio. When I shut it down (usually from watching cable TV), when I restart it the next day, it's anyone's guess where it will start. Sometimes the last cable station comes on (OK), and sometimes it starts in ROKU TV's home screen - who knows why? So that is an aggravation. Picture is OK. TV was cheap for a 55" unit. It is WAAYY better than my previous TV - an LG 47LM7600 - since relegated to the wall of my bedroom.
newbe2 and phildaant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Hehe, the AVS Forum gets very fragmented. I know there were discussions of this TV or versions of it (since AVS had a giveaway for the model). I bought the Walmart version back in November for $428. This was my second TCL TV, the previous set being 55" too and only three years old. I sold it to a neighbor who is happy using it in his business. When I bought my first TCL I had never even heard of the company but did due diligence and learned they were one of the top manufacturers of panels even making some for Samsung. They also got good reviews here and on Amazon. Got a deal at Fry's on that set.

I also have the set connected to a Yamaha receiver which gave me all kinds of problems with ARC until I found the second settings for HDMI. Did you try those? Go to the System menu for that. I'm guessing TCL found newer receivers only needed the main settings for ARC. But my Yamaha has an early implementation of ARC and needed some extra trickery. Still has problems on 5.1 sound where I need to grab the Yamaha remote, hit HDMI 1 for input then AV 4 for it to work. It seems to be be a latency problem and sometimes it will work without doing that.

I'm really impressed with the picture quality of the TCL. As for 4K I can only play my own 4K material or streaming 4K that has static images. At the moment I'm playing "blink" with a third broadband provider that has 250 Mbps service for what I would pay to get 24 Mbps with AT&T which I currently have with their 12 Mbps (not enough for 4K). The third providers in not on my street yet though in the town. That said being a long time video nut and encoding video I would appreciate a set with HDR and that might happen soon. "Banding" artifacts have been my bane for years.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a 55P605 and I really like it. I was wondering if anybody has wall mounted one or used an aftermarket stand. I need to raise the TV a few inches so my soundbar will not block the TV. I looked on the back and noticed where the mount would normally go there are Phillips head bolt there. The book doesn't say anything about removing them to wall mount but I don't see anywhere else to attach. Hopefully somebody else has wall mounted there TCL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking75 View Post
I have a 55P605 and I really like it. I was wondering if anybody has wall mounted one or used an aftermarket stand. I need to raise the TV a few inches so my soundbar will not block the TV. I looked on the back and noticed where the mount would normally go there are Phillips head bolt there. The book doesn't say anything about removing them to wall mount but I don't see anywhere else to attach. Hopefully somebody else has wall mounted there TCL.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...rice-talk.html

This thread covers the 605 and the 607
whizkid39 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Had the same issue. I'm using this stand, well built and look nice when setup too. Very happy with it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #6 of 12 Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Remove TV Bolts

Did you remove the 4 bolts on the back of the TV?
post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Did you remove the 4 bolts on the back of the TV?
Yes, the stand comes with bolts and spacers if needed!
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just bought a TCL 43S403 at Costco (same model on Amazon) and can’t find the proper thread? That seems odd to me. Is it grouped in with another model series? I keep searching every which way and am finding nothing. Thanks for any help.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #9 of 12 Old 05-05-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
I have occasionally seen a "dump out" while streaming a show on Netflix or Hulu. What happens is that I get dumped out to the main screen on the TV. I think it's is due to poor error handling on Roku's streaming APIs (they could be better). This has happened both on AT&T and Comcast Internet. It's rare and might be because of memory problems because turning the TV off and back on seems to get rid of it for the rest of the evening. Anyone else see this problem. Otherwise it's been a great set and maybe next year an HDR version for me.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wouldnt mind a thread. Just picked up at 55" 6 series, not sure what to think so far, lots of ppl complaining about uniformity and such, I'm coming from an older TV so I'm not even sure what I'm looking at honestly..
newbe2 likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yes, I'd participate in a TCL/Roku TV thread. I just bought a TCL 65R617 about 2 wks ago. Haven't changed many settings since the factory picture was extremely good. Only issue so far has been using the Roku remote to turn on tv. Twice in past two weeks, I pressed the power on/off button but no response. The Roku app had the same problem -- said it couldn't wake up the tv. I unplugged the system and waited about 20 sec. Then it powered on as usual. Anyone else had a similar issue? I'm planning to call TCL support for help.
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfan8632 View Post
I wouldnt mind a thread. Just picked up at 55" 6 series, not sure what to think so far, lots of ppl complaining about uniformity and such, I'm coming from an older TV so I'm not even sure what I'm looking at honestly..
Count me in.
I just ordered a TLC 55" series 6 with Roku built in.
I've never used Roku before.

I fix machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
55UP120 , 55up130 , Roku , rokutv , tcl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page