3D and Curved Screen TVs Fade Away - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 458Likes

post #121 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
Found an interesting "reason for signing" on the LG petition that says: "Signing because we rely on 3D monitors for our business in medical devices." Never occurred to me that this decision has an effect beyond the home theater community.

LG - Please revive 3D on a 2018 OLED TV model
i think the most amazing thing about all of this is how LG's role in the market has changed. even just 5yrs ago, if LG pulled the plug making tv's altogether, hardly anybody would have cared. now they leave 3D and people are acting like the entire market died.

i feel if there is a need, and desire for 3D tv's, some chinese manufacturer will supply that. it's the perfect way to step into the north american market

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I am not being disputatious; however, after now purchasing a C6 and thinking about the distortion of horizontal lines possibility. I wanted to test the new TV. I put in my HD test Spears and Munsil blue ray and took it to the distortion test- geometric pattern and did the measuring. All checked out. Perceptively it appears that what is seen in content is depth due to the curve, not distortion as the shapes and lines all match in length. Off-center viewing enhances the perception. So, for me, that clears up the picture issue but I also know that perceptively and especially off center, the depth adds a perceived bend, not an actual picture distortion.
it's going to bother some more than others, like backlight uniformity or plasma 'buzz'.

for me, that image is immediately off-putting. with most content it's not an issue, but any time there are horizontal lines on a curved screen it bugs me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #123 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Just put a ruler up to your picture and you'll see... it ain't straight.
That's just it. What I was saying is that "looking" at it, it looks curved but when I measured, with a ruler. It was fine. Lengths were matched and lines straight. I also noticed in another test that the screen has an offset opposing alignment perhaps adjusting. I cannot explain it other than when I measure the lines are not different nor are they slanted. Looking appears to see a curve but I believe that is depth perception or perhaps something of a different name. It does not bother me. I just wanted to investigate it. Measuring on top of the lines I tried both a measuring tape and ruler. The lines are straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 164
So there are now 5700+ signers on that petition - seems love of 3D TV's goes a bit beyond just the AVS forum geeks :-)

As someone asked earlier, it would be great to hear an explanation how 3D is holding back HDR or some other new thing. Like Gaming mode or simulated surround, 3D is just another feature that some people use and most don't, but it is really nice to have for those that do. Especially for those that have sunk some $$ into a collection of 3D films. Maybe HDR done well will be almost as good as 3D, but will the studios re-release all those 3D movies in HDR? Or will it even be any good if they do, since they weren't filmed in HDR? My guess is not. It just makes the most sense to me to support both 3D and HDR, like the 2016 sets do, or sell one model in 3D, like LG did last year with curved, if it impacts nits or whatever. Would be a good test to see which was a bigger seller. Or heck, just keep making one of the 2016 models, like Sony did with the X950B. Or get rid of the included glasses like Sony did last year, to save costs for those that don't use it.

But to obsolete a whole collection of content just makes no sense. It would be like LG saying they are no longer supporting HDR in a few years and only supporting DV, thereby obsoleting everyone's collection of HDR films. Not the same as the VCR/Betamax debate, as that was just $100 tape players being obsoleted, and you could always keep your old Betamax machine as a second source for your TV, at least until it dies. (heck I still have a VCR hooked up to my TV for when the kids want to watch some of those really old Disney movies that aren't even available in DVD or BluRay). But we're talking a $3000 device here, and not something most people can easily have a second one hooked up to view those old 3D movies. And 3D isn't some ancient tech, it's <10 years old and new 3D movies are still being produced.

/rant
Pixel Dude and barfle like this.
post #125 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
due to the curve, it's 'not possible' to view STRAIGHT horizontal lines. they always appear curved near the top and bottom. technically, the tv needs to be curved top to bottom as well to preserve geometry

This effect is misleading as it is grossly exaggerated by the length and aperture of the lens of the camera.

I'm actually a bit disappointed so few people understand the idea behind curved screens. If executed correctly the effect should CORRECT not produce optical distortions. You have to remember that our eyes are not resolving into a flat sensor as a camera would be. We see an arc, a curve. The idea behind a curved display is that if done correctly, all points horizontally across the entire screen are equidistant to the back of your eyes. This will only be true from the perfect center (though the same could be said for a flat screen), but is perceptually beneficial as long as you remain within the curve of the display AND your viewing point will keep your eyes between the top and bottom of the display. It should actually help to make the image between both eyes more consistent as you are no longer changing the angle of a flat surface.

Many of Samsung's TV's seemed too curved to me, and I feel like even my EG9100 was to curved for the space I was using it in, but I LOVE the curve of my C6. I don't mind the 3d, but it's certainly not an important enough feature to make me hold on to this TV and I do want the new HDR/Calibration features of the C7, but I'm very torn as I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my curved oled >_<<<. Maybe it will be an easier sell once the 77" comes down in price, but I really don't know which would make me happier.

That said, my C6 is placed in a way and my viewing habbits are such that makes the curve more advantageous, I fully agree in a number of spaces and scenarios it is less beneficial or detrimental compared to a flat panel.

As to 3D, I'll care again when Avatar 2 comes to blu-ray .
post #126 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
People understand that it is intended to correct optical distortions, however if you are not in the sweet spot, and rather off to either side, it actually exaggerates them on the near end of the screen. Since most TV viewing areas include seating outside that sweet spot, it is problematic.

Also, lens distortion can be and is often corrected in digital cameras. You can see the straight lines of the furniture are truly straight. I'm not claiming that the photo does or doesn't due justice to what you actually perceive, but the lens explanation doesn't seem to hold.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 01-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
post #127 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Watching my new 65" Sharp N9000U right now: 3M quantum dot, HDR, 120hz native, 240 zone FALD, and... curved.

It is an absolutely beautiful display easily justifying its $3k price from last summer. Picked it up for $1150 from buydig on ebay last week.

At 65" from 10-12' feet away any parabolic distortions are negligible (watching NFC championship game now) but the quality of the panel cannot be overstated. I will never watch a 60hz panel again!

I have never really cared enough about home 3D to buy a TV specifically for it but I would've excitedly tried it had my new Sharp been 3D.

New tech is great regardless of the marketing or profit motive behind it. I think 3D should come on all TVs and it wouldn't surprise me at all if 3D is reprised with 4k and HDR.

-Chris
King Richard likes this.
post #128 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
People understand that it is intended to correct optical distortions, however if you are not in the sweet spot, and rather off to either side, it actually exaggerates them on the near end of the screen. Since most TV viewing areas include seating outside that sweet spot, it is problematic.

Also, lens distortion can be and is often corrected in digital cameras. You can see the straight lines of the furniture are truly straight. I'm not claiming that the photo does or doesn't due justice to what you actually perceive, but the lens explanation doesn't seem to hold.
Look again:

Note the lack of curve in the scoreboard display and the banner at the top/back of the image is actually curved AWAY from the the screen curve at the top. But thank you for making my point for me.
erkq likes this.
post #129 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
I wonder if Samsung still believes that Curved TV is the new Flat TV ..
http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blo...-new-flat.html
post #130 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
Look again:

Note the lack of curve in the scoreboard display and the banner at the top/back of the image is actually curved AWAY from the the screen curve at the top. But thank you for making my point for me.
The banner clearly curves relative to the edge of the screen. That is not from the distortion of the lens of the camera taking the picture of the TV.
post #131 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I glade I bought a 65E6P last night... Even tho I have a 7-8 year old 55" Samsung 3D tv...
post #132 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Look again:

If you aren't too high or too low there will be a position on the screen where a horizontal like is perfectly straight. It appears to be around where the scoreboard is in this photograph. It's geometry. The curve starts going the other way below the scoreboard.

EDIT: On looking again it appears to be will above the scoreboard as the lines of the tennis court are still well bowed at that point. I think the scorecard is just too small to see the effect.
post #133 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM

I think curve is good if you have a 100"+ tv. Isn't it the IMAX curve?
post #134 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If you aren't too high or too low there will be a position on the screen where a horizontal like is perfectly straight. It appears to be around where the scoreboard is in this photograph. It's geometry. The curve starts going the other way below the scoreboard.

EDIT: On looking again it appears to be will above the scoreboard as the lines of the tennis court are still well bowed at that point. I think the scorecard is just too small to see the effect.
uhhh, no.

Look more closely and stop trying to see what you want in the image. That shot looks rather wide given the height and FoV. Look at the line at the back where the clay meets concrete. Notice anything? Yeah, either the ground isn't flat or this was shot at a wide angle or there is distortion in the footage. The scoreboard DOES NOT bow away, because the distortion IS NOT THE SCREEN. You can actually see the chalk line bowing away from the scoreboard, which wouldn't happen if both were distorted from being on a curved plane. It is also flawed to just assume the line is straight to begin with. Unless you have a side by side with the raw footage (and since we are being thorough, you can view the highlights from it here:
).

The real issue is most people are going in to viewing a curved screen with an automatic bias (lets not forget how many people complained when CRT moved to flat screen), so they look for anything that they can perceive as distortion caused by the curve, regardless of if the distortion is in the source or not, and use that to reinforce their preexisting belief that the curve is bad. Plus now that this belief has been reinforced as fact it is now shared and spread to friends, people on forums, customers in stores, etc.

There were only really 2 flaws with the way that curved displays were marketed. The first is no one is actually pointing out where the view will be optimized and where it will be negated, as REALLY, what TV will work better, curved or flat is entirely dependent on use case. The second was Samsung trying to brand it a premium feature and charge extra for it. Curved IS NOT better, but there are places where it will WORK BETTER than a flat panel. Trying to charge extra killed it.
King Richard likes this.
post #135 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
All I know is when I spend a few hours watching my curved set it is extremely "comfortable" and there is an interesting depth to the picture. When I switch to my flat screen of the same size immediately after it feels extremely 2d and almost annoyingly flat. I think your eyes adjust either way. After extensive time with both, if I could sit close up and in the sweet spot I would choose the curve every time. Every other situation I would choose flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King Richard likes this.
post #136 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
uhhh, no.

Look more closely and stop trying to see what you want in the image. That shot looks rather wide given the height and FoV. Look at the line at the back where the clay meets concrete. Notice anything? Yeah, either the ground isn't flat or this was shot at a wide angle or there is distortion in the footage. The scoreboard DOES NOT bow away, because the distortion IS NOT THE SCREEN. You can actually see the chalk line bowing away from the scoreboard, which wouldn't happen if both were distorted from being on a curved plane. It is also flawed to just assume the line is straight to begin with. Unless you have a side by side with the raw footage (and since we are being thorough, you can view the highlights from it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW-zsq7DPxo).

The real issue is most people are going in to viewing a curved screen with an automatic bias (lets not forget how many people complained when CRT moved to flat screen), so they look for anything that they can perceive as distortion caused by the curve, regardless of if the distortion is in the source or not, and use that to reinforce their preexisting belief that the curve is bad. Plus now that this belief has been reinforced as fact it is now shared and spread to friends, people on forums, customers in stores, etc.

There were only really 2 flaws with the way that curved displays were marketed. The first is no one is actually pointing out where the view will be optimized and where it will be negated, as REALLY, what TV will work better, curved or flat is entirely dependent on use case. The second was Samsung trying to brand it a premium feature and charge extra for it. Curved IS NOT better, but there are places where it will WORK BETTER than a flat panel. Trying to charge extra killed it.

When screens are 100+ it might work... IMAX....

Or the next big thing 180 degree tv.....
post #137 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Question: How many people here who are using a 3D front projector with a curved screen?
_______

Bonus: PJ with top 3D performance for a song → Optoma HD142X 3D DLP Projector Review (By Al Griffin • Posted: Dec 13, 2016)

♦ And 4K/HDR10/3D → JVC Procision DLA-X750R 3D D-ILA Projector Review (By Kris Deering • Posted: May 5, 2016)

"Speaking of 3D, JVC didn’t mention 3D performance at CEDIA. Nor do they make any claims of improved 3D on their Website’s product pages. However, this new JVC’s 3D delivery has improved significantly over that of previous models and represents the best 3D I’ve seen from a non-DLP-based projector. The 3D on JVC’s earlier designs was pretty good overall, but they still exhibited noticeable ghosting with the most difficult material. On the DLA-X750R, however, most of the torture clips I use for evaluating ghosting in the image (for example, Despicable Me and A Turtle’s Tale: Sammy’s Adventures) were virtually ghost-free! Couple that with the increase in brightness, and you have some great-looking 3D. If you’re a 3D aficionado and you’ve been steering clear of LCOS designs because of their 3D performance, you now have a high-contrast solution for 3D that nearly rivals 3D on DLP."
_______

And those ↓ are among the top 3D UHD TV performers (all 65" Class except for the last...55" Class):

3D LG OLED65E6P OLED Ultra HDTV Review
3D Sony XBR-65Z9D LCD Ultra HDTV Review
3D LG 65EF9500 OLED Ultra HDTV Review
3D Curved Samsung UN65JS9500FXZA LCD Ultra HDTV Review
Samsung UN55HU8550F 3D LCD/LED Ultra HDTV

It is mind boggling that in January 2017 (now), LG, Sony and Samsung are quitting 3D on their TVs.
Curved screens I can understand (but read the Samsung 3D Curved UHD TV review above, the 4th one; that's pretty good, more than pretty good).
But abandoning 3D in the era of Star Wars and Avatar, TV manufacturers are committing a sacrilege...IMO.

Curved screens were a distraction, between 3D and 4K; as one member mentioned earlier...a financial attraction/distraction...I agree with him.
3D is simply walking the EXIT red sign door because it couldn't be included in the Ultra HD Blu-ray standards.
Look, 4K BR movies are mostly 66GB, and some are 100GB (3 layers). And 3 layers is harder to read than 2 layers.
66GB is only 16GB more than the regular 50GB Blu-ray. Some 4K Blu-rays don't look much better than their regular ones.

Simply put, we are way behind in our visual and auditory progression/evolution. We're making costly artistic mistakes.
We need young solid engineers and designers with a vision to the future today.

Curved screens are fine for large 100-foot diagonal widescreens. For a 65" UHD TV, make them thin, very thin (1 to 3mm) and hang them flat on walls.
And for the 3D lovers, like I, don't ever give up because it'll be back...for "I seek righteousness, but I'll take revenge."; a line from 'The Magnificent Seven' (in 2D).

"So you seek revenge?" asks Denzel Washington. Haley Bennett responds, "I seek righteousness, but I'll take revenge."
Pixel Dude likes this.
post #138 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Look, 4K BR movies are mostly 66GB, and some are 100GB (3 layers). And 3 layers is harder to read than 2 layers.
66GB is only 16GB more than the regular 50GB Blu-ray. Some 4K Blu-rays don't look much better than their regular ones.
To be fair, they are also hvec/h265 encoded so they are probably pushing more than double the bitrate. The ones that don't look better don't look better because they were poorly mastered or the source content was subpar to begin with.
post #139 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 PM

Yes, I just gave the specs of their size. And I agree with you about the poor masters. It happened with VHS tapes (4:3 aspect ratio), laser discs, DVDs (non-anamorphic), HD DVDs, Blu-rays, 3D Blu-rays, 4K Blu-rays. It never stopped to give us poor transfers, not what the filmmakers intended, and it just keep going and going.
But we love it because the very few that are well transferred compensate for all the rest. And we are sure better off today than from the 80s...with our curved 27" CRT TVs.

Lol, my 19" Sony Trinitron from the 80s was in the four digits, with tax (MSRP). And 'Once Upon a Time in the West' was in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
'Lawrence of Arabia' on VHS tape, with blue bars on top and bottom made my 19" TV a 10" one...the size of an iPad.

Fifty years from now (2067), can you imagine what movie watching would be like? We won't be watching anymore, we'll be acting in our own movies as we imagine and make them in the moment. Perhaps one hundred years from now (3017).
post #140 of 280 Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Cool 3D TV is purchasing requirement #1

If I were in the market for a new large screen television, my very first question in walking into the electronics store would be very simple: "Which TV here has the best quality passive 3D?"

As someone who has bought just about every major 3D Blu-ray release since they hit the market several years ago, this news is beyond disappointing. Of course I already signed the LG petition a few days ago, as they also supply panels to Sony.

From the day I first saw how good Avatar in 3D looked on my Sony XBR-65X900A, I have been in love with the format. Whenever I have friends over for a movie night who have never seen how good passive 1080p 3D on a 4K TV can look, their jaws drop and they can't stop talking about how amazing the tech is. At just $2 each, I always have at least a dozen clean glasses ready for the next 3D movie night. I'm not kidding when I say I prefer watching 3D movies at home rather than at the local theater. It's that good.

Last year I replaced my Monster HDMI cables with Audioquest carbon ones, and now movies like Avatar look and sound even better with more fluid motion and obviously clearer sound. Worth every single penny. Don't even bother scoffing if you've never seen and heard the difference. (Note that I'm primarily referring to the positive improvement for 2D and 3D 1080p content upscaled on my 4K TV, as 2D 4K content doesn't seem to benefit nearly as much.)

For those who can't relate to the joy of high quality 3D home viewing, fine, you have different visual perception or other priorities, but there's really no need to relish in our pain, thank you. Feel free to tell what gives you pleasure in your life so we can trash that mercilessly in return, if you wouldn't mind. (Joking...)

I will love my Sony XBR-65X900A 'til the day it dies and have no interest in replacing it any time soon. So it doesn't do HDR; it's not like there is a ton of content out there yet in HDR, and most of what I watch on average is nearly always available only in SDR anyway.

Hopefully the TV manufacturers come to their senses and reintroduce 3D better than ever next year so that it plays well with the 4K HDR features, if that's even the issue. Given how stellar the 3D looks when it's done right, there always has to be hope.
dew42, tashspop, barfle and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Pixel Dude; 01-23-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #141 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Curved screens were a distraction, between 3D and 4K; as one member mentioned earlier...a financial attraction/distraction...I agree with him.
3D is simply walking the EXIT red sign door because it couldn't be included in the Ultra HD Blu-ray standards.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post50086977
post #142 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargor42 View Post
It's not selling, if it was selling you'd still see LG, Sony, Samsung, and Vizio still including it in their lineup. Companies don't just suddenly stop supporting things that are still selling, it makes no business sense to do this.

I agree! Sales of 3D Blu-rays have been on a downward curve in the last few years. There's no denying that.

However, there has been next to zero marketing for the format. Manufacturers, stores, websites, and the media in general, haven't put any effort at all in marketing and "selling" 3D in the past few years.

When's the last time you saw a 3D demo being "showcased" in stores? When's the last time a sales person even mentioned the 3D feature to you - or mentioned how great 3D looks on the new 4K OLED TVs for instance?

When is the last time you read a pro-3D article from a major Tech website?

There were a lot of different factors that hindered a wider adoption of 3D in the home - such as the uncomfortable glasses, the whole active vs. passive, a lot of terrible 3D movies/transfers, TV's that did not display it very well, etc. There's no denying that.

However, both 3D TVs and 3D content have gotten a lot better in the last few years. Plus, as several other members have mentioned above, passive 3D on an OLED TV is awesome . And given the chance, 4K 3D would have been exceptional!

Would proper marketing have made that much of a difference? I have no idea - but it certainly would have helped.

Just look at the whole HDR thing (not to mention 4K/UHD). It's been marketed to death these last couple of years. And now people are just flocking to purchase a new UHD HDR TV. Many of them don't even know what HDR even is or why they "need" it. And yet, they just know they WANT it. Why? MARKETING!!!

Pixel Dude likes this.
post #143 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
So, your claim is there are no 3D TV sales? I think you are being intellectually dishonest if you try to claim there are no 3D TV sales or customers at all. You certainly don't have any facts to back it up and since there are people here, including myself, who buy 3D TV's you are essentially proven wrong.
Don't play dumb, that's obviously not what I meant. If I said "the Nintendo Wii U is not selling" you wouldn't say "actually it sold 13 million units", a more reasonable interpretation of that statement would be "yeah that's why they're abandoning it for the Switch". Interpreting things literally just to make yourself seem right is intellectually dishonest.

Quote:
I think you confuse a niche with a gimmick. A niche serves a small part of the market. A gimmick is something that adds no value to any part of the market. 3DTV is clearly a niche. It serves a purpose for that segment of the market that desires it.

Companies DO stop serving niche markets all the time.
Considering it was only created to bleed more money from movie-goers I have to completely disagree. Avatar might as well be an anomaly compared to all the movies that pointlessly shoehorned in 3d in order to increase ticket prices and profits. 3d is dying because people stopped falling for the scam. That is what a gimmick is.

Quote:
Sir Alan Parker has dismissed 3D films as a marketing gimmick and said he is unlikely to direct any more movies – but would consider working in TV, where "the very best work is being done".

Parker said that big budget films were made in 3D because the Hollywood studios thought that was necessary to make it appealing to a mainstream audience.

"Everything has to be 3D if it is over a certain amount of money from a marketing point of view," he said, during an interview with journalist and presenter Kirsty Wark at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity on Wednesday. "From a creative point of view it is rubbish. Absolute nonsense."

He added: "For instance Gatsby, why on earth was that 3D? Well the reason was because it cost over $120m and the only way they are going to get back [their money on] a $120m movie, in a marketing sense, is if they can market it as 3D because that is what that main audience wants."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ck-alan-parker
post #144 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I agree! Sales of 3D Blu-rays have been on a downward curve in the last few years. There's no denying that.

However, there has been next to zero marketing for the format. Manufacturers, stores, websites, and the media in general, haven't put any effort at all in marketing and "selling" 3D in the past few years.

When's the last time you saw a 3D demo being "showcased" in stores? When's the last time a sales person even mentioned the 3D feature to you - or mentioned how great 3D looks on the new 4K OLED TVs for instance?

When is the last time you read a pro-3D article from a major Tech website?

There were a lot of different factors that hindered a wider adoption of 3D in the home - such as the uncomfortable glasses, the whole active vs. passive, a lot of terrible 3D movies/transfers, TV's that did not display it very well, etc. There's no denying that.

However, both 3D TVs and 3D content have gotten a lot better in the last few years. Plus, as several other members have mentioned above, passive 3D on an OLED TV is awesome . And given the chance, 4K 3D would have been exceptional!

Would proper marketing have made that much of a difference? I have no idea - but it certainly would have helped.

Just look at the whole HDR thing (not to mention 4K/UHD). It's been marketed to death these last couple of years. And now people are just flocking to purchase a new UHD HDR TV. Many of them don't even know what HDR even is or why they "need" it. And yet, they just know they WANT it. Why? MARKETING!!!

They stopped putting in the marketing effort because they stopped getting the returns that justified that marketing. 6 years ago everyone was pushing 3d down everyone's throats, so clearly the reason it's dying isn't that it's no longer being marketed (that would be confusing the cause with the effect), but because they stopped seeing the returns they needed. It's like putting money into a sinking ship.
post #145 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Do you understand focal length?

Quote:
Look again:

I think you may not quite understand camera lens focal length and the inevitable fisheye effect of ultra-wide angle lenses.

The tennis shot you posted could only be captured with a focal length around 14mm. Any lens with a focal length that short will create a fisheye effect. That's what you are seeing at the far baseline of the shot you posted.

Things don't just magically appear on TV; if they're not animated, they are first captured with a camera... Cameras have lenses, lenses have focal lengths that affect what comes through your TV. Macros can have parabolic effects where zooms (very long focal lengths) will be more prone to macroblocking, pixelization, and stability inconsistency.

If you don't like curved TVs, cool, I'm good with that. But get a camera with a sub-20mm macro lens sometime and go to your local courts to see what you see... a curved baseline on the horizon.
King Richard likes this.
post #146 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Add mine to the list of households that thoroughly enjoy 3D cinema on a projector. It's too bad the newer TV's don't support it but as long as they keep showing 3D movies in the cineplex, then all 3D fans should have content for their large 100+" screens at home (which is better than the cineplex anyway).
barfle and King Richard like this.

AVR | Yamaha RX-A3050 // Projection | Epson 5040UB // Speakers | Fluance XL series (7) SVS Subs (.2) Origin C62 (.4)
post #147 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9300 Post(s)
Liked: 5986
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
They can offer all the curves they want as long that they offer the better ones...flat panels.

As for 3D, how much does it cost to implement on the new LG OLED 4K TV Series (2017 models)?
The problem is implementing the 3D on their OLED sets, decreases light output by supposedly 100 nits. So by removing 3D they were able to get their brightness levels higher on their 2017 sets.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #148 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
VR seems like where he'd want to be but VR is 3D too.
The problem is also current VR is low rez. The resolution needs to be much higher for a screen so close to the eyes.
King Richard likes this.

post #149 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The problem is implementing the 3D on their OLED sets, decreases light output by supposedly 100 nits. So by removing 3D they were able to get their brightness levels higher on their 2017 sets.
They did other things too for added brightness if their claims are to be believed. They claim a 25% brightness increase. If that were all due to that 100 nit gain, that'd mean the total brightness would be less than 500 nits and they are almost twice that.
King Richard likes this.
post #150 of 280 Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
They did other things too for added brightness if their claims are to be believed. They claim a 25% brightness increase. If that were all due to that 100 nit gain, that'd mean the total brightness would be less than 500 nits and they are almost twice that.
I didn't mean that was the only thing that got the brightness up for 2017. It just further contributed to it. Because each year they make more improvements to the OLED displays.
erkq likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page