Curious as to why so Samsung KS8000 is so popular given it's build quality issues? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
All I can say is I returned a KS for a P65 and couldn't be happier. The KS has major blooming and some light bleed, motion handling sucks too. The P65 not literally coming apart is also an added bonus.
Are you me posting under another handle because I just went through a similar path?

Despite having just bought a M60-C3 (4K, non-HDR 2015 model) only 10 months ago, I was getting the itch for some HDR action even though I know there's very little content right now. I had no issues with the M60 other than silly upgraditis. With the "Big Game" sales going on, the last cheap prices we'll see until the 2017s hit stores and 2016s get marked down, this was the week I buy before waiting until summer.

My first pick was the Vizio P65 because I like the FALD Vizios have made standard and I watch a lot of movies at night and short of the prohibitively expensive OLEDs*, offered the best black levels. Not wanting to go smaller was a factor as well.

In another post I was making the case for buying a smaller TV and sitting closer to maintain the perceptual size and it occurred to me that since moving a 55" set only FOUR INCHES closer would make it appear as large as the 60" I could move down to the $1000 price range where the KS8000 was from the $1550 the P65 was on sale at Costco. I'd also be able to take it home in my car and set it up myself, unlike the beastly P65 box would require.

I brought it home and looked at some YouTube HDR videos and thought the colors were bright and punchy and was congratulating myself on saving a bundle.

Then I watched Gravity.

Due to the inherent limitations of edge-lighting, everything that I'd feared about potential compromises erupted. I knew that flashlighting, blooming, weak blacks were going to be an issue, but short of dialing back the backlight to a point where everything looked blah, I realized that for MY use case, this wasn't going to work. If I watched fullscreen TV or 1.85:1 movie content, perhaps I could've dealt; but looking at movies with letterbox bars was the deal-breaker.

I was texting a buddy yesterday morning about how that 2nd night had raised some flags and told him I was 55-45 about taking it back. By lunchtime I was committed to switching. Pinged another buddy to borrow his work van and went to Costco at lunch to buy it. Picked it up after work and after shuffling the sets around, I fired up the P65 and went to look at the LG OLED store demos - Chess and the Jazz Club ones are good - on YouTube and immediately thought how I'd spent almost $600 more for this TV and how it was....

So worth it. No regrets at all.

I had read the P-series owners thread about issues which seem mostly involving the P75 set and was concerned, but so far I'm not seeing any of the flaws the troll baiting here is flinging. Is the set flawless? Probably not, but compared to the KS8000, it's an entirely different league and for those shopping in the $1500 65-inch waters, it's not even close IMO.

TL;DR: Bought a KS8000, looked at it and went and spent 60% more for a P65 because #BlackLevelsMatter.

*A friend once asked my opinion of LG OLEDs and I replied, They look like sex and cost as much."
sheshechic likes this.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.2.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 2839
Samsung has been selling the KS8000 like hot cakes do to the price ,basically have about the same performance as the KS8500 ,KS9000 and KS9500. The obvious difference is the aesthetic ,The 9000 and 9500 have a premium look but honestly all have about the same PQ.

So if you are looking for the 9500 or 9000 edge lit ,save your money and get the 8000.

This reminds me about the JS8500 which was their top selling for 2015 but also their lower model of the SUHD.

You will need a bias light if that's not a problem for you.

Last edited by losservatore; 02-05-2017 at 01:03 AM.
post #33 of 39 Old 02-05-2017, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
1. It's the best bang for the buck
2. The quality issues for these TVs are highly dramatized on this website. By that I mean that this is a very small percentage of the total number sold, and people generally aren't signing up here just to praise the TV.
dont go by this forum. very very low problems , as with all electronics. i know a few people with them and none of us have any problems. best tv i have ever owned and in my opinion cant be beat. you can get a square trade warranty for 3 extra years for about 90 dollars from costco. buy it online and only needs to be purchased from a authorized us dealer. does not need to be costcos. if you want problems on a tv look at the vizio p series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 02-05-2017, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Imagine if people could notice the motion problems it has too....fast scenes in most occasions are almost unwatchable.
post #35 of 39 Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 2839
My friend have one and it looks good with the lights on or with bias light.

he still like my Oled better but is out his price range.

Last edited by losservatore; 02-05-2017 at 03:27 PM.
post #36 of 39 Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have no issues with mine as well. For the money it is a great tv. It is probably the best tv for the price. You do see a lot of issues here on the forum as far as build quality goes. There is a lot that dont have issues either. My biggest gripe is I wish Samsung had more zones for their local dimming. It really seems like they have it split in to 4 vertical zones across the tv. Having no FALD is fine as the edge lit does work great getting super bright highlights, they just could have done a lot better in this category. I know edge lit is not the best but if they added more zones I feel it would perform a lot better. The vertical bars of light in a black screen with texts drive me nuts.
post #37 of 39 Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wanted the 65" ks8000, but after reading all of the issues on them here, I decided to go with the 65" ku6300. I still read how great of a picture the ks8000 has, and am now second guessing myse;lf if I made the right decision with the 6300. Anyone have a recommendation? Should I bring back the 6300 for the 8000? Is picture quality that much better? I basically watch cable tv and some movies, no sports and no video games. Fairly lit room, not super bright, but not totally dark either. Also, the 8000 is about 600 bucks more. Worth the price difference? Thanks for any help, as I dont want to miss out on the return window.
post #38 of 39 Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugman1969 View Post
I wanted the 65" ks8000, but after reading all of the issues on them here, I decided to go with the 65" ku6300. I still read how great of a picture the ks8000 has, and am now second guessing myse;lf if I made the right decision with the 6300. Anyone have a recommendation? Should I bring back the 6300 for the 8000? Is picture quality that much better? I basically watch cable tv and some movies, no sports and no video games. Fairly lit room, not super bright, but not totally dark either. Also, the 8000 is about 600 bucks more. Worth the price difference? Thanks for any help, as I dont want to miss out on the return window.
If it is worth the $600 is totally personal. If your happy with the 6300 stick with it. I wanted the 8000 because my room gets pretty bright and the 8000 had better motion handling. The 8000 is a superior tv but if your happy stick with what you have. I personally do not like 60hz tvs, I feel samsung already lacks on motion so I do not want the panel to hinder that at all
post #39 of 39 Old 05-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 18
one thing that I have never understood about samsung is the ks(2016) vs mu(2017)

The KS8000 has a higher native contrast ratio for dark scenes
The KS8000 gets significantly brighter for HDR and SDR
The KS8000 has a wider color gamut, and can display a larger color volume
The KS8000 is better at handling reflections
The MU8000 has better motion handling due to the faster response time
If you can find it, the KS8000 performs better and is available at a lower price.

so did they make the mu worse to get people to buy their more expensive models?
Personally I feel the ks was too good and was making higher end model sales falter.

I looked at the vizio P, local dimming, brighter than mu, etc
and it offers Dolby Vision. might be important in years to come.

I have said before 99% of my viewing will not be UHD so upscaling is important to me.
Vizio gets a D in this area.

wondering if the new M and P 2017 models will be any better...well they are saying
Both the 2016 and 2017 TVs will receive updates in the future, and Vizio says they'll continue to exhibit identical performance throughout the model year.
I have talked to owners with problems that have heard ( updates in the future) for a year now.

Last edited by etrin; 05-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page