***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 102 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1525Likes

post #3031 of 3134 Old 04-28-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good job Tim.. keep us posted with your progress..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3134 Old 04-28-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
Not bricked! Tried one last attempt at connecting to UART and had success. It's still talking to me! Dipcore and the 4pda board are what got me this far. Now to figure out how to get proper firmware loaded without doing further damage.

For what its worth, found a source in China for motherboard if needed. $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punks123 View Post
Good job Tim.. keep us posted with your progress..

Great news! Definitely let us know how you resolve this issue.
post #3033 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone from Russia! I'm from the forum 4PDA. I do not own UMAX85, but I use another model of this company Super TV x4-50 pro with Mstar938. However, I follow the models of this company. Today I managed to get native Chinese firmware for your model in BIN format. LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin. This is the latest native firmware version in this format (080S). Now you will have fewer problems with the restoration of bricks and the minimum time to completely reinstall the system. I was looking for this firmware in your topic header, but I did not find it. On this I post a link for download.
The file was received directly from LeEco using the uMax85 TV's MAC address. Thanks @TimDugan for MAC. Now you can easily restore your TV via mboot.

I do not have 5 posts in this forum yet and I cannot post links. I sent the download link to @TimDugan . He will publish the link when he can.

Our models are very similar.
We can get the root through custom recovery or directly using USB3.0-UART or VGA-UART. Made a custom rom for everything at once. We learned how to remove all Chinese trash, remove start ads, replace bootanimation, and also replace the start video with a beautiful one. We can also change the embedded start image. learned how to run digital television (DVB-T2) using the built-in TV tuner. We have a NXP TDA18275 tuner. install gapps. And use the Google assistant using an external microphone for 2 dollars from aliexpress. Well and some other nice things. If you need information, ask, I will try to answer.

If you already know all this, then I apologize for my carelessness to the head of the forum. I will be glad to answer your questions and ready to share knowledge.
Game Fan, IBNR, TimDugan and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3034 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Above says it all! More later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3035 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Above says it all! More later.

Following on neekzz's post, he was able to come up with the firmware to restore my TV. It's the latest, eUI 8.0.080S_0412. Here's a link if interested : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUD...w?usp=drivesdk

Worth mentioning, there are a variety of LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin files out there. Important to know the difference. The first was dipcore's that just flashes US Android recovery (24.1 MB). That was to get mfish234 back in action. Then dipcore has a US (25.3 MB) and CN (21.4 MB) version of a recovery partition that allows you to root the TV. And last, for the moment, is the eUI 8.0.080S_0412 firmware (1.32 GB). The TV looks for LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin when updating, and does different things depending on what is in the file. So beware, and be sure you're using the file you want.

It's been an interesting experience!
post #3036 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Following on neekzz's post, he was able to come up with the firmware to restore my TV. It's the latest, eUI 8.0.080S_0412. Here's a link if interested : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUD...w?usp=drivesdk

Worth mentioning, there are a variety of LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin files out there. Important to know the difference. The first was dipcore's that just flashes US Android recovery (24.1 MB). That was to get mfish234 back in action. Then dipcore has a US (25.3 MB) and CN (21.4 MB) version of a recovery partition that allows you to root the TV. And last, for the moment, is the eUI 8.0.080S_0412 firmware (1.32 GB). The TV looks for LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin when updating, and does different things depending on what is in the file. So beware, and be sure you're using the file you want.

This is the most interesting news to float through this thread in awhile
Trying to piece things together... do any of these firmware/boot combinations achieve either:
1) a US firmware with Dolby Vision or
2) a Chinese version without Al Pacino intro?
3) a Chinese version with a US capable tuner?

Thanks for continued work!

post #3037 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
This is the most interesting news to float through this thread in awhile
Trying to piece things together... do any of these firmware/boot combinations achieve either:
1) a US firmware with Dolby Vision or
2) a Chinese version without Al Pacino intro?
3) a Chinese version with a US capable tuner?
Not yet, maybe never. But with dipcore's recovery installed there is a patch that might take care of Al Pacino (I don't get that - something else, with later firmware).

Significant initial observation (to me) is that Dolby Vision is better with latest firmware. Not sure if that is TV or AppleTV 4K firmware (on public beta) related, but dark detail is clearly better (also to me).
IBNR likes this.
post #3038 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekzz View Post
Hello everyone from Russia! I'm from the forum 4PDA. I do not own UMAX85, but I use another model of this company Super TV x4-50 pro with Mstar938. However, I follow the models of this company. Today I managed to get native Chinese firmware for your model in BIN format. LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin. This is the latest native firmware version in this format (080S). Now you will have fewer problems with the restoration of bricks and the minimum time to completely reinstall the system. I was looking for this firmware in your topic header, but I did not find it. On this I post a link for download.
The file was received directly from LeEco using the uMax85 TV's MAC address. Thanks @TimDugan for MAC. Now you can easily restore your TV via mboot.

I do not have 5 posts in this forum yet and I cannot post links. I sent the download link to @TimDugan . He will publish the link when he can.

Our models are very similar.
We can get the root through custom recovery or directly using USB3.0-UART or VGA-UART. Made a custom rom for everything at once. We learned how to remove all Chinese trash, remove start ads, replace bootanimation, and also replace the start video with a beautiful one. We can also change the embedded start image. learned how to run digital television (DVB-T2) using the built-in TV tuner. We have a NXP TDA18275 tuner. install gapps. And use the Google assistant using an external microphone for 2 dollars from aliexpress. Well and some other nice things. If you need information, ask, I will try to answer.

If you already know all this, then I apologize for my carelessness to the head of the forum. I will be glad to answer your questions and ready to share knowledge.

Welcome to the forum, neekzz . I've been following you guys in the 4pda forum for a while. You are doing some awesome things. Google translate is nice, but some things just don't translate well, Russian to English and I'm sure the other way around. Thanks for volunteering your expertise and help to all of us here in the U.S.
IBNR likes this.
post #3039 of 3134 Old 04-30-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:

So, do you have to add the update.zip to get the firmware to load onto the tv? I don't have any problem loading stock LeTV upgrades, but I don't have the knowledge or expertise to root or anything else. So, will everything be ok if I d/l and install from the link you provided?
post #3040 of 3134 Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
So, do you have to add the update.zip to get the firmware to load onto the tv? I don't have any problem loading stock LeTV upgrades, but I don't have the knowledge or expertise to root or anything else. So, will everything be ok if I d/l and install from the link you provided?
Flashing a bin file is different that using update.zip. It completely reinstalls the firmware, so you have to go through the complete setup process, starting with changing the language to English. That said, the process is straightforward. Put the LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin file on a fat32 formatted USB stick and insert it in the TV. With the TV off press SETTINGS, VOL+, VOL-, CH-, CH+, POWER. Away you go! Setup is just like before. Let me know if you have problems.
post #3041 of 3134 Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Flashing a bin file is different that using update.zip. It completely reinstalls the firmware, so you have to go through the complete setup process, starting with changing the language to English. That said, the process is straightforward. Put the LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin file on a fat32 formatted USB stick and insert it in the TV. With the TV off press SETTINGS, VOL+, VOL-, CH-, CH+, POWER. Away you go! Setup is just like before. Let me know if you have problems.

How long does the process take? Will the firmware version be 8.0.080s_0412?
post #3042 of 3134 Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 PM

A few minutes. Yes, you get the latest firmware.
post #3043 of 3134 Old 05-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Well, I tried it. The d/l began and got a blue progress bar. Then it stopped and a message came up in Chinese that basically said the d/l failed and to push the ok button. I pushed the big round button on the remote and live tv came back up. Thankfully! I'm to chicken to try it again and I think I'll wait to where I can just do a regular update, by flash drive, to the newest firmware. I don't want to push my luck.
post #3044 of 3134 Old 05-01-2019, 06:53 PM

I understand. The firmware does work (I've had to reload it 3 times today while trying to get root. Decided to stop trying and watch TV for awhile). You could try downloading again in case there was a glitch in first download. Also, an alternate way to start update is to turn off TV with power switch, hold down the "Enter" button on the back of TV and turn on power switch. Continue to hold down "Enter" until you see the loading bar. Good luck if your courage returns.
post #3045 of 3134 Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Another day, more success. Using dipcore's Chinese version Recovery I was able to install Super User (SU) for root access and Gapps on 8.0.080s_0412. After installing dipcore's recovery there is no introductory video add. As I've mentioned before, this recovery has a jumbled menu and is a bit of a challenge to use, but it works. If at first you don't succeed - - - well, you know what to do. Very happy with this firmware.

Enjoy, if you will!
IBNR likes this.
post #3046 of 3134 Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Another day, more success. Using dipcore's Chinese version Recovery I was able to install Super User (SU) for root access and Gapps on 8.0.080s_0412. After installing dipcore's recovery there is no introductory video add. As I've mentioned before, this recovery has a jumbled menu and is a bit of a challenge to use, but it works. If at first you ?don't succeed - - - well, you know what to do. Very happy with this firmware.

Enjoy, if you will!

That's awesome. Tried again, no luck. Reformatted my usb & wiped it clean. Downloaded from the link you provided and tried again. No luck and I still get the same message. Oh well....

Last edited by Game Fan; 05-02-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #3047 of 3134 Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 PM

Really strange. Piece of cake for me. Do you have specifics of message received?

I just downloaded file again and compared with what I'm using. They're identical, except for name. The current download is named Letvupgrade938_4g.bin, while my file is LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin. I'm still a novice when it comes to programming nuances, but perhaps somewhere in the firmware case matters. Try renaming your file.

Also, Gapps gives you a bunch of Google Applications, like Play Store, which you can install apps from.

Last edited by TimDugan; 05-02-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Add comment
post #3048 of 3134 Old 05-03-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Really strange. Piece of cake for me. Do you have specifics of message received?

I just downloaded file again and compared with what I'm using. They're identical, except for name. The current download is named Letvupgrade938_4g.bin, while my file is LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin. I'm still a novice when it comes to programming nuances, but perhaps somewhere in the firmware case matters. Try renaming your file.

Also, Gapps gives you a bunch of Google Applications, like Play Store, which you can install apps from.

Very strange. I might try that when I get home from work, later today. Hey @neekzz , do you have any suggestions on what might be going on or what I might be doing wrong?
post #3049 of 3134 Old 05-04-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
Very strange. I might try that when I get home from work, later today. Hey @neekzz , do you have any suggestions on what might be going on or what I might be doing wrong?

Tried by renaming file. Same results. Dang it! This is frustrating....
post #3050 of 3134 Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 AM

Maybe try a factory reset first.
post #3051 of 3134 Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Can you confirm if Amazon Prime Video works on it please? That was something I couldn't get to work on the US FW.

TIA.
post #3052 of 3134 Old 05-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinnydon View Post
Can you confirm if Amazon Prime Video works on it please? That was something I couldn't get to work on the US FW.

TIA.
The Google Play Store doesn't do Amazon Stuff. There is an Amazon app for that. I know folks in Russia have been able to get Amazon Video working. I Use my AppleTV 4K for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, so haven't (yet) tried very hard to get apps working on the TV. I'll work on it a bit and share results.

Something to share right now is that both of dipcore's recoverys (US and CN) work on CN firmware and I've been told the US version is more stable, After flashing recovery, the instructions call for installing UPDATE-Recovery-After-Install-0.0.2.zip, which keeps recovery in place after subsequent boots and replaces the boot advertisement with the spinning circles we originally had with the US firmware. An easy fix if you don't like the add. Even though I've done that, my SOP is to just blank the screen when not using the TV. That way I don't have to wait while the TV boots every time I go to watch TV.
bennutt and IBNR like this.
post #3053 of 3134 Old 05-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The Google Play Store doesn't do Amazon Stuff. There is an Amazon app for that. I know folks in Russia have been able to get Amazon Video working. I Use my AppleTV 4K for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, so haven't (yet) tried very hard to get apps working on the TV. I'll work on it a bit and share results.

Something to share right now is that both of dipcore's recoverys (US and CN) work on CN firmware and I've been told the US version is more stable, After flashing recovery, the instructions call for installing UPDATE-Recovery-After-Install-0.0.2.zip, which keeps recovery in place after subsequent boots and replaces the boot advertisement with the spinning circles we originally had with the US firmware. An easy fix if you don't like the add. Even though I've done that, my SOP is to just blank the screen when not using the TV. That way I don't have to wait while the TV boots every time I go to watch TV.
OK, played around some more. Have yet to find a Netflix version that works, but I did get Amazon Video working. You just sideload it with the files app after enabling unknown sources in Android settings. Get to Android settings by pressing key combination Settings, Channel Up, Channel Down, Channel Up and Channel Down rather fast. Keep trying if it doesn't work the first time. Go to Security and enable unknown apps. Amazon Prime Video_v3.0.246.15341_apkpure.com.apk is the file I loaded. You can get it from https://apkpure.com/amazon-prime-vid...irdpartyclient Put it on a fat32 formatted USB stick and stick it in TV. Prompt should come up to examine file. If not, go to files app. Click on file and follow prompts. Should work, did for me. Should not be necessary to install dipcore's recovery for this to work. Good luck!

P.S. Found the Netflix app. netflix-4.16-200217-release,apk which can be downloaded from https://help.netflix.com/en/node/57688 Sideload as before. Let me know if you run into problems.
IBNR likes this.

Last edited by TimDugan; 05-05-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add comment
post #3054 of 3134 Old 05-05-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
OK, played around some more. Have yet to find a Netflix version that works, but I did get Amazon Video working. You just sideload it with the files app after enabling unknown sources in Android settings. Get to Android settings by pressing key combination Settings, Channel Up, Channel Down, Channel Up and Channel Down rather fast. Keep trying if it doesn't work the first time. Go to Security and enable unknown apps. Amazon Prime Video_v3.0.246.15341_apkpure.com.apk is the file I loaded. You can get it from https://apkpure.com/amazon-prime-vid...irdpartyclient Put it on a fat32 formatted USB stick and stick it in TV. Prompt should come up to examine file. If not, go to files app. Click on file and follow prompts. Should work, did for me. Should not be necessary to install dipcore's recovery for this to work. Good luck!

P.S. Found the Netflix app. netflix-4.16-200217-release,apk which can be downloaded from https://help.netflix.com/en/node/57688 Side load as before. Let me know if you run into problems.

Wow! You are doing some great work. Way over my head, but I'm sure several here are on the same page with you. I enjoy reading about all you have been able to accomplish. Keep it up.
post #3055 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Hi TimDugan, have you noticed any PQ improvement from firmware 8.0.080s_0412 ?
post #3056 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
Hi TimDugan, have you noticed any PQ improvement from firmware 8.0.080s_0412 ?
As commented earlier, Dolby Vision (from my AppleTV 4K) appears better - dark details are there, which I couldn't see before. I can't be sure that improvement isn't due to an AppleTV 4K firmware update, but I'm very happy with with the firmware.
IBNR likes this.
post #3057 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Tim, I'm happy to flip you a few bucks if you do a video chat walkthrough and help me upgrade my set
post #3058 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Glad to help. Post 3040 covers it pretty well. Can chat (after dinner). What flavor - Skype?
toomanytvstosee likes this.
post #3059 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 113
how about tomorrow night

Quote:
Glad to help. Post 3040 covers it pretty well. Can chat (after dinner). What flavor - Skype?
Need to get myself a USB drive first. Cant believe I dont have one....lol
post #3060 of 3134 Old 05-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I can confirm this upgrade method is working for me, I am still doing testing/tweating of the TV after upgrade but so far so good !!! Thank you TimDugan !!!
IBNR and TimDugan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page