***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1525Likes

post #3061 of 3138 Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
I can confirm this upgrade method is working for me, I am still doing testing/tweating of the TV after upgrade but so far so good !!! Thank you TimDugan !!!
Also working for me, along with rooting procedure. You may also install X-plore File Manager from the Google Play store for a good root file explorer (at your own risk). Huge thanks to TimDugan for his work and for sharing, and to neekzz and those at the 4pda.ru forum, where I have read several dozen translated pages.

A couple issues with PQ, as I see them, are:

1) Dynamic contrast appears to be always enabled on CN firmware, thus often resulting in crushed blacks. I have poked around in the service menu and in root system files, but do not see any obvious way to disable it.

2) As many have observed, Dolby Vision on ATV 4K is fantastic with good content, but HDR10 (any source) appears to me to have issues with color accuracy (particularly reds drifting towards orange) and gamma (difficult or impossible to set brightness correctly); if anyone has satisfactory results with HDR10 content on CN firmware, what settings are you using?

Secondarily to above, general calibration settings for the service menu and/or system files would be fantastic. I do not have testing equipment, but if I do find anything interesting in the service menu or elsewhere, I will certainly share.

Thanks again to all for their contributions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3138 Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxilla View Post
Also working for me, along with rooting procedure. You may also install X-plore File Manager from the Google Play store for a good root file explorer (at your own risk). Huge thanks to TimDugan for his work and for sharing, and to neekzz and those at the 4pda.ru forum, where I have read several dozen translated pages.

A couple issues with PQ, as I see them, are:

1) Dynamic contrast appears to be always enabled on CN firmware, thus often resulting in crushed blacks. I have poked around in the service menu and in root system files, but do not see any obvious way to disable it.

2) As many have observed, Dolby Vision on ATV 4K is fantastic with good content, but HDR10 (any source) appears to me to have issues with color accuracy (particularly reds drifting towards orange) and gamma (difficult or impossible to set brightness correctly); if anyone has satisfactory results with HDR10 content on CN firmware, what settings are you using?

Secondarily to above, general calibration settings for the service menu and/or system files would be fantastic. I do not have testing equipment, but if I do find anything interesting in the service menu or elsewhere, I will certainly share.

Thanks again to all for their contributions.
Hi foxilla,

I got the similar findings too:

1. In HDR mode, no matter how I changed the PQ settings, I couldn't get the accurate color especially on the human faces, either too yellow or too green. That's why I forced any 4k souces to DV from my Oppo 203 player, however ....

2. In DV mode, the color accuracy is very well. It just look like I am watching movie in theater except the picture is so dark and lack of sharpness. I have a little trick that while I am watching DV contents, go to the service menu and change "BRIGHTNESS" setting higher. This will solve a bit about the darkness.

Let me know if you have any findings, we can exchange information and make our TV better.

thanks,
Chris
post #3063 of 3138 Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 113
hey all. just did the update but forget how to get the english menus

can someone help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3064 of 3138 Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Settings, Channel Up, Channel Down, Channel Up, Channel Down - fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBNR likes this.
post #3065 of 3138 Old 05-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Go to globe and select first item.
IBNR likes this.
post #3066 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Gents, I've been away from this forum for several months now, happily enjoying my TV running the last "official" version of the CN firmware 6.5.064S_0306 from March 2018...so I'm very excited to read about these latest developments!

For those running the newest 8.0.080S_0412 firmware, did you do the intermediate step of moving to 6.5.072S_0715 (July 2018) first? If so, did you notice any improvement between that and 8.0? I'm planning on trying to flash 8.0 later today, but was just wondering if I should go through 6.5.072S first or go directly to 8.0.

I'm not sure I have quite enough courage to try Tim's "rooting" procedures yet, but maybe someday.

Finally (for now), @TimDugan , what version firmware are you running on your ATV4K? Mine's currently on tvOS 12.2.1 (16L250), is there something newer than this?

Thanks again all!

Mike
post #3067 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Gents, I've been away from this forum for several months now, happily enjoying my TV running the last "official" version of the CN firmware 6.5.064S_0306 from March 2018...so I'm very excited to read about these latest developments!

For those running the newest 8.0.080S_0412 firmware, did you do the intermediate step of moving to 6.5.072S_0715 (July 2018) first? If so, did you notice any improvement between that and 8.0? I'm planning on trying to flash 8.0 later today, but was just wondering if I should go through 6.5.072S first or go directly to 8.0.

I'm not sure I have quite enough courage to try Tim's "rooting" procedures yet, but maybe someday.

Finally (for now), @TimDugan , what version firmware are you running on your ATV4K? Mine's currently on tvOS 12.2.1 (16L250), is there something newer than this?

Thanks again all!

Mike
The improvement I have clearly noticed is better detail in dark Dolby Vision scenes. Not clear if that is a result of the TV firmware, or AppleTV 4K firmware. I'm on the Public Beta for the AppleTV 4K, tvOS 12.3 (16M5151a).

No need to install other updates. This one does it all. Refer to my post#3040 for specifics. Once booted up and past the initial Chinese prompts, Settings, Channel Up, Channel Down, Channel Up, Channel Down as fast as you can press them will get you to Android Settings. Scroll down to the globe image, select and select the first item. Then you can set language.

Installing dipcore's recovery gets rid of the advertisement during boot, replacing it with the original spinning circles.

Enjoy!
IBNR likes this.
post #3068 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
The improvement I have clearly noticed is better detail in dark Dolby Vision scenes. Not clear if that is a result of the TV firmware, or AppleTV 4K firmware. I'm on the Public Beta for the AppleTV 4K, tvOS 12.3 (16M5151a).

No need to install other updates. This one does it all. Refer to my post#3040 for specifics. Once booted up and past the initial Chinese prompts, Settings, Channel Up, Channel Down, Channel Up, Channel Down as fast as you can press them will get you to Android Settings. Scroll down to the globe image, select and select the first item. Then you can set language.

Installing dipcore's recovery gets rid of the advertisement during boot, replacing it with the original spinning circles.

Enjoy!
Thank you! I now have 8.0.080S up and running smoothly, following your process worked perfectly. I've cleared the USB stick and transferred on the rooting files and I'm working up the courage to try that next...I prefer not to leave the TV on with a blanked screen, so getting rid of the rotating string of Chinese commercials on startup would be a real plus. Is there a real need to install the SU and GAPPS files if that's all I'm really looking to do at this stage? I haven't any idea what use I would make of the SU root-level access, and I don't have any pressing need or desire to run apps of any kind on the TV itself (I use my ATV for that).

Also, do you leave your TV connected to the internet? I think I will not, unless there's good reason to do so....

Thanks again!

Mike
post #3069 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 12:56 PM

No need to install SU or Gapps. I do have TV connected to internet, but agree no need for you to do so. Glad everything went well.
IBNR likes this.
post #3070 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

Enjoy!
Just to be clear - From Chinese 6.2 - I can use the latest 1.4GB bin file that you offered very recently - That gets me to Chinese 8.0 firmware

After that - I can restore the boot screen using the "dipcore files"
Specifically - by loading UPDATE-Recovery-AfterInstall.0.0.2.zip (a 3MB file from months ago) onto a USB stick and entering recovery mode with Settings, Vol Up, Vol Down, Chan Down, Chan Up, Power.

Without worrying about GAPPS or SuperSU... that should give me a clean boot screen version 8.0?

Thanks for the assist.
post #3071 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Close, but you need to install dipcore's recovery (US version) first and then from there install the recovery after install zip file. Good luck!

IBNR likes this.
post #3072 of 3138 Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No need to install SU or Gapps. I do have TV connected to internet, but agree no need for you to do so. Glad everything went well.
So, it's all done...I went ahead and installed SU and Gapps too while I was at it; I may never use them but since I had it all on the USB stick and all of the instructions in front of me I decided to just do it (as they say).

It all seems to be working smoothly with the TV happily running EUI 8.0.080S_0412 Stable and a colorful Android-branded boot process thankfully free of Chinese ads. I'll of course be looking for any visible changes in picture quality as I go through various content and sources, but at very first glance I will say that this new firmware does seem to handle upscaling of 1080i cable signals better than previous versions. But DV PQ from AppleTV is the most important thing for me by far, and I'll post my thoughts on that as I go along.

Thank you again to you and all the developers you're working with to get this far. I think this represents the most significant advancement for this TV since we first discovered we could unlock DV for HDMI sources by switching to the Chinese firmware over a year ago. Bravo!

Mike
Game Fan likes this.
post #3073 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Close, but you need to install dipcore's recovery (US version) first and then from there install the recovery after install zip file. Good luck!

Tim, out of curiosity, is the dipcore recovery file you have posted on the OneDrive site you linked to in your Post #3001 the US or CN version? That's the version I used, in any event.

Mike
post #3074 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Tim, out of curiosity, is the dipcore recovery file you have posted on the OneDrive site you linked to in your Post #3001 the US or CN version? That's the version I used, in any event.

Mike
That's the CN version. It does the job. I've been told that the US version is more stable. I've been meaning to go back and edit that post.
IBNR likes this.
post #3075 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
That's the CN version. It does the job. I've been told that the US version is more stable. I've been meaning to go back and edit that post.
It does seem to do the job as you say. Does the US version exist anywhere? Do you have it?
post #3076 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It does seem to do the job as you say. Does the US version exist anywhere? Do you have it?
It, and all the other stuff is in dipcore's forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...7#post77127917

No need to swap it out.
IBNR likes this.
post #3077 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It, and all the other stuff is in dipcore's forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...7#post77127917

No need to swap it out.
Oh, good. BTW how do you actually access and run the SuperSU and Gapps apps on the TV once they are installed?
post #3078 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, good. BTW how do you actually access and run the SuperSU and Gapps apps on the TV once they are installed?
Press the Home button (to right of Back button) and scroll right (with the Right button) to Apps. Scroll down and you'll find the apps. Some stuff on Gapps will work, some won't. SU should be all set up.
IBNR likes this.
post #3079 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:

may i ask what is "dipcore's recovery" to use after bin upgrade (LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin)? Is it "UPDATE-Recovery-After-Install-0.0.2.zip" I am not able to see the split screen after the bin upgrade (Settings, Volume Up, Volume Down, Channel Up, Channel Down, Power method) , it entered to recovery (maybe the factory one not dipcore's) and came up error.
IBNR likes this.
post #3080 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
may i ask what is "dipcore's recovery" to use after bin upgrade (LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin)? Is it "UPDATE-Recovery-After-Install-0.0.2.zip" I am not able to see the split screen after the bin upgrade (Settings, Volume Up, Volume Down, Channel Up, Channel Down, Power method) , it entered to recovery (maybe the factory one not dipcore's) and came up error.
nevermind, i was using the wrong LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin (1.4GB) file, it is all good now, thank you
IBNR likes this.
post #3081 of 3138 Old 05-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
nevermind, i was using the wrong LetvUpgrade938_4G.bin (1.4GB) file, it is all good now, thank you
Good. It can get confusing. I just updated my post on rooting, which (I believe) pulls it all together: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmsPDHZYIuYrgsk_-zWR7JY8R36MyQ
IBNR likes this.
post #3082 of 3138 Old 05-11-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Good. It can get confusing. I just updated my post on rooting, which (I believe) pulls it all together: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmsPDHZYIuYrgsk_-zWR7JY8R36MyQ
Thanks so much for the detailed write-up! One day I might be brave enough to try it on my set. For now it's stock US FW. I see you're in Annapolis- I grew up in Bowie/Crofton area, used to go there every weekend, great town! If your travels ever take you to northern Virginia I'm in Leesburg now and would gladly buy the beers and/or lunch if you'd root my set so I don't have to pull the trigger alone!
post #3083 of 3138 Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Unless you're after Dolby Vision, US firmware is just fine. Rooting is easy enough to do, but does give you the chance to really screw things up afterwards (speaking from experience)!
post #3084 of 3138 Old 05-11-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Finally got the tv to update. Wasn't holding my mouth right, stupid old saying most of you probably have never heard. Lol! Will be playing around with it as I can.
IBNR likes this.
post #3085 of 3138 Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
Finally got the tv to update. Wasn't holding my mouth right, stupid old saying most of you probably have never heard. Lol! Will be playing around with it as I can.
Quote:
I went ahead and rooted the TV too. Thanks @TimDugan for the detailed, step by step instructions, that were easy to follow. I had to try multiple times, because the window would go away quickly, but it worked. Now I'm working on getting all my settings back to where they were.
IBNR likes this.
post #3086 of 3138 Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM

So, oddly enough installing all these files does not, in fact, eliminate CN ads on startup. Pacino seems to be gone, but now I get a nice young lady selling shoes....
post #3087 of 3138 Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM

I was just about to ask if I was the only one seeing the shoe advertisement.
IBNR likes this.
post #3088 of 3138 Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
So, oddly enough installing all these files does not, in fact, eliminate CN ads on startup. Pacino seems to be gone, but now I get a nice young lady selling shoes....
good day!
Starting ad can be removed in two ways.
1. using the patch to dipcore recovery.
2. manually. Having root on TV.

I wrote a patch for my model. It is necessary to verify the paths of file placement between my model and yours. I can write a patch to remove ads for your TV.

In essence, the effect of the patch is simple.
1. Replace the hosts file with the file in which the LeEco sites are banned from where the TV is downloading ads. Give the file the necessary rights.
2. Delete all files from the fastplay folder.
3. Delete build-in video.ts from /tvconfig folder
4. delete the system application by the name (BootAdManager / AdManager ) what it is called in your system, you need to know.
5. restart the TV.
The method works fine. Clears starting Chinese ads.

For information. How advertising gets to your TV: The Chinese send information about advertising on their database of MAC addresses of all the TVs you have bought (all models) . After that, the hosts file skips this signal and the signal goes to a special system file, which indicates where the ads should be downloaded - namely, to the fastplay folder. In this folder there is a file that indicates to the signal on which server the advertisement is located and that it needs to be downloaded to the fastplay folder and run when the system starts.
The Chinese are smart and decided to preempt. If for some reason, the signal does not reach the system file, then the BootAdManager / AdManager application is immediately connected. It uploads the advertisement to the folder and launches it. There is also a built-in advertisement in the system and it is located along the path /tvconfig/video.ts. However, ads downloaded via the Internet have a priority in front of the built-in video. The built-in video works when the TV is not connected to the Internet.
To get rid of advertising, you need to do the whole procedure one time. Namely:
1. Replacing the host file - disables the ability of the signal from the Chinese to download ads.
2. deleting files from the folder fastplay - removes ads that have already downloaded to TV.
3. Delete the video.ts file - to exclude the inclusion of the built-in video after deleting ads from the fastplay folder.
4. Deleting the application BootAdManager / AdManager eliminates downloading ads after turning off the signal through the file hosts and removing ads from the fastplay folder.
5. and only then restart the TV.
Game Fan and IBNR like this.
post #3089 of 3138 Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekzz View Post
good day!
Starting ad can be removed in two ways.
1. using the patch to dipcore recovery.
2. manually. Having root on TV.

I wrote a patch for my model. It is necessary to verify the paths of file placement between my model and yours. I can write a patch to remove ads for your TV.

That would be great if you would do that. These ads are a pain in the rear.
IBNR likes this.
post #3090 of 3138 Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
That would be great if you would do that. These ads are a pain in the rear.
i need to know is:
1.the exact name of the application that duplicates the advertising download and its exact path (mean BootAdmanager or AdManager) You can find it on your system/app or system/priv-app folders.
If you find this file in the specified folders, be sure to make an additional search on the entire system by the name of this file. Sometimes the Chinese duplicate this application in other folders.
2. Is there a fastplay folder in the system?
3. Is there a tvconfig folder and is there a video.ts file in it?
4. it is also necessary to find out where the busybox is in your system.

Ideally, I need logs from terminal with PL2303 (or u can use Remote ADB through ur mobile)
1. ls (need to see all folders in the root of the system)
2. ls -aR /sytem
3. ls -aR /data

@TimDugan I know that you used such a connection and can make the necessary logs. it could be a big logs. In idel, they should be done using a terminal program with the ability to write a log to a text file. For example SecureCRT.

when you have time, contact me in a telegram. I'll write what to do. It is a pity that we have a big time difference. I think we can solve this problem.
IBNR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page