***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1535Likes

post #3211 of 3229 Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDugan View Post
$ difference was major motivation. Performance was not that much better. Didn't want to wait for new releases (Super Bowl next weekend!).

Hard to find differences between 900F and uMax85. Picture in all modes just as good (other than no 3D). More adjustments to play with.

I will fix the uMax85 in due course. Then will have to decide which to keep - or buy a new house!

Most epic garage television ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3229 Old 02-18-2020, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
$ difference was major motivation. Performance was not that much better. Didn't want to wait for new releases (Super Bowl next weekend!).

Hard to find differences between 900F and uMax85. Picture in all modes just as good (other than no 3D). More adjustments to play with.

I will fix the uMax85 in due course. Then will have to decide which to keep - or buy a new house!
Hi, did you make a decision yet? Which one you are going to keep ? How do you compare 900F with uMax85 ?
post #3213 of 3229 Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Still waiting for motherboard from China (shipments are understandably messed up). The Sony is very nice, will be a hard call as to which to keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3229 Old 02-20-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for motherboard from China (shipments are understandably messed up). The Sony is very nice, will be a hard call as to which to keep.
Is Sony better than UMAX85 when watching 4K sources ?
post #3215 of 3229 Old 02-20-2020, 08:32 PM

Picture quality is very much the same. Sony has many more adjustments, but TVs are both great performers.
post #3216 of 3229 Old 02-20-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Picture quality is very much the same. Sony has many more adjustments, but TVs are both great performers.
Thanks, good to hear that. Maybe i will keep my UMax for another two years !!!
post #3217 of 3229 Old 03-04-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wanted to let everyone know I was able to succeed with getting my card benefit services (buyer protection) on my Cap One Visa to reimburse me in full for my Umax 85 purchased two years ago. Soon before the 2-year extended warranty protection was about to end, I filed a claim, since not only was the lack of (supported, US-based) Dolby Vision annoying despite the DV references on the TV and user manual, but it had also developed a tick where the display will turn off on its own from time to time.

Anyway for those who would still benefit, here was the process: I had to send in my receipt, copy of LeEco warranty, and then had to pay a TV repair company to come evaluate if it could be repaired (I chose Best Buy Geek Squad, who charged me $99.99.) Tech came, I explained LeEco had no US-based support anymore, that the DV issue requires a workaround at best (CN firmware) and about the occasional turn-off behavior. He noted no parts or support was available and confirmed it could not be repaired. Just got a check for $2799 from the adjuster (so I like this TV okay now that it was free in the end!)
msheikh25 likes this.
post #3218 of 3229 Old 03-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hello Tim,

I have returned to the umax85 thread after a while. I brought this tv about 3 years back and have been loving it since.
Everything is working fine for me, since I have the original firmware since day one of updating from leeco repository.

I havent flashed any custom firmware yet. Now i see lots of people in here have upgraded their firmware on the TV. and seems like you have done a lot of work on this front.
I went back about 10 pages, but I could not find your post where you have the steps and the firmware to upgrade to.
Can you please guide me on where I can find it? Also, will HDR10 suffer if i upgrade to Dolby Vision? Right now HDR10 works intermittently, but it works.
So i will need to flash to the new firmware, and also apply patch to remove ads?
can you guide me to the thread please?
post #3219 of 3229 Old 03-28-2020, 03:34 PM

For the benefit of others, here's my PM reply to holyindian:

Glad you're still enjoying your uMax85. It remains as good as they come. I bricked mine back in January and still waiting for a part to arrive from China. With Super Bowl coming up, I replaced with a Sony XBR-900F. Hard to tell the difference with respect to picture quality. Since the uMax is now in the garage, I intend to let my daughter (who lives near by) have it once fixed.

As to software, lots of options. Chinese firmware gives you Dolby Vision, which has mixed reviews. Some find the picture too dark, others are quite happy. My intention for my daughter is to give her the latest US software (5.8.056S_0420). She can do without Dolby Vision and be very happy. The latest Chinese firmware is 8.0.080S_0412. Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZUD...w?usp=drivesdk

After flashing there is the question of root access. That can get you into trouble big time, but it will allow you to get rid of annoying ads on the Chinese firmware. Instructions on rooting can be found here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AmsPDHZYIuYrgsk_-zWR7JY8R36MyQ.

If you search the forum for my posts you'll find lots of info to help, or lead you astray! Good luck! Contact me if you have questions along the way.
post #3220 of 3229 Old 03-28-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 710
FYI, a quick additional note: many of us avoid the ads by not powering off the UMax completely. The Screen Off option under Settings, keeps the blue indicator light on but the display is off and the tv is using minimal power. A quick press of any of the remote's buttons turns the tv display back on instantly.
post #3221 of 3229 Old 04-16-2020, 11:35 AM

She Lives!, She Lives! What a saga!

Botched a firmware change in late January. Ordered a Mstar ISP tool (about $20) and a replacement motherboard (about $200). ISP tool received in late March, but unsuccessful in figuring out how to use to flash motherboard. New motherboard received earlier this week. About 77 screws of assorted types and sizes to get the back off of the TV! In goes the new motherboard, and after resetting all connectors after an initial blank screen (no video), we're back in business.

Remains a great TV, but will keep comparable Sony XBR X900F in family room and let daughter figure out how to get the uMax85 out of the garage and into her family room.

It's been quite the adventure! Will now just ease back into lurking mode.
post #3222 of 3229 Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Botched a firmware change in late January. Ordered a Mstar ISP tool (about $20) and a replacement motherboard (about $200). ISP tool received in late March, but unsuccessful in figuring out how to use to flash motherboard. New motherboard received earlier this week. About 77 screws of assorted types and sizes to get the back off of the TV! In goes the new motherboard, and after resetting all connectors after an initial blank screen (no video), we're back in business.

Remains a great TV, but will keep comparable Sony XBR X900F in family room and let daughter figure out how to get the uMax85 out of the garage and into her family room.

Awesome news!
I'm trying to figure out a strategy for moving mine this weekend.
A 7 foot television down 3 sets of stairs and back up another set....

If it doesn't survive, not easy to replace.
post #3223 of 3229 Old 04-18-2020, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Thumbs up

Quote:

That is good news, especially for your daughter! But, come on now...Surely you're not going to leave figuring out how to move and hook this beast up to your daughter? That's what we dads think, but we always come through for our sweet baby girls!
post #3224 of 3229 Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After 2 years of owning the TV, I finally discovered how to get HDR working consistently on it. I have the TV attached to a Yamaha TSR 7810 and mainly use it with an 4k firetv attached to the receiver. I had to do the following:
1) Set TV's 4k Signal format to [email protected] (Settings --> Inputs --> Format Settings: HDMI 4K signal Format)
2) Set 4K FireTV Display settings to following:
Video Resolution: Auto (up to 4k Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate: On
Color Depth: Up to 10 bits
Color Format: Auto
3) Set Yamaha TSR 7810 to Video Mode --> Processing --> Resolution --> Through

Now to actually get HDR to kick in, I have to start playing something in HDR from the firestick (usually just go to netflix and play an HDR movie). Then with the HDR video running, turn TV off and then back on and it will be locked on HDR mode. Alternatively, I can also cast an HDR video to the firestick from my phone and it should turn the TV on and be in HDR mode, but with the CEC on the TV also being buggy, it doesn't always auto turn on when I start casting to the firetv. The cool thing is, even once I stop the HDR movie and play something with a lower resolution, the TV will stay locked into HDR. I think the bug with it not auto switching into and out of HDR mode actually helps us out here! It looks like HDR mode goes away if you change inputs, turn it off, or go into settings. Now I just need to find some good HDR video calibration settings because the colors are way too intense in HDR mode.

Maybe others already knew this trick but I was never able to get it working consistently before. I know a lot of people use an Apple TV 4k with the Chinese firmware to stay locked into DV mode but I decided against messing with the firmware because I use OTA broadcast channels (actually bought the apple TV still sitting new in box..lol).

I had actually been considering going the same route as @mikemav and trying to get a refund from my credit card company because the inconsistent washed out picture was really starting to bug me. But maybe this will hold me over now...I have until Feb 2021 to file a claim so still might.
post #3225 of 3229 Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Greetings,

Can someone tell me why the MB goes out? Second. Can someone post where can I order one. I love this TV. Works great, I want to have a back up MB.

Thank you
post #3226 of 3229 Old 05-11-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcimo View Post
Greetings,

Can someone tell me why the MB goes out? Second. Can someone post where can I order one. I love this TV. Works great, I want to have a back up MB.

Thank you
Motherboards are generally quite reliable, but they do contain many components, and all it takes is one to fail to mess things up. I've gone through a couple on computers over the years and never been able to pin failure on a specific event. A power surge/spike or nearby lighting strike would be good candidates for cause of failure.

Motherboards on TVs are no different. The most frequent reason for replacing the motherboard on a LeEco TV is bricking of the TV by improper loading of firmware. It is technically possible to write the necessary firmware back on a motherboard to restore it after such a mishap, but I was unsuccessful in figuring out how to do it, or in finding anyone that had the necessary knowledge. Some things learned in the factory stay in the factory! At the time I bricked my TV I was also experiencing a HDMI handshake problem with one piece of equipment, which could have been hardware related, and was changing firmware to see if that made a difference.

Good new is replacements can be found. Taobao.com was my source (LeTV UMAX85US original motherboard MS6A938_MBD_E_H3100 TD.MS6A938.793C), about $180 plus shipping. Navigating and purchasing from a Chinese website can be a challenge at times, but can be done. Not all credit cards will work, and shipping arrangements may not be clear, but you can work through it.

If you're not into doing stupid stuff to your TV (rooting and the like), I wouldn't worry about getting a spare motherboard. Just sit back and enjoy it, like my daughter is now doing with mine.
post #3227 of 3229 Old 05-11-2020, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Motherboards are generally quite reliable, but they do contain many components, and all it takes is one to fail to mess things up. I've gone through a couple on computers over the years and never been able to pin failure on a specific event. A power surge/spike or nearby lighting strike would be good candidates for cause of failure.

Motherboards on TVs are no different. The most frequent reason for replacing the motherboard on a LeEco TV is bricking of the TV by improper loading of firmware. It is technically possible to write the necessary firmware back on a motherboard to restore it after such a mishap, but I was unsuccessful in figuring out how to do it, or in finding anyone that had the necessary knowledge. Some things learned in the factory stay in the factory! At the time I bricked my TV I was also experiencing a HDMI handshake problem with one piece of equipment, which could have been hardware related, and was changing firmware to see if that made a difference.

Good new is replacements can be found. Taobao.com was my source (LeTV UMAX85US original motherboard MS6A938_MBD_E_H3100 TD.MS6A938.793C), about $180 plus shipping. Navigating and purchasing from a Chinese website can be a challenge at times, but can be done. Not all credit cards will work, and shipping arrangements may not be clear, but you can work through it.

If you're not into doing stupid stuff to your TV (rooting and the like), I wouldn't worry about getting a spare motherboard. Just sit back and enjoy it, like my daughter is now doing with mine.
Thank you.

I love this tv. I did a firmware 2 years ago.. and its always been working. Sometimes some android apps fails, but I disable them if there is no update, SLING TV works great... and my HTPC loves the connection , 4k HDR works, and so does 3D.
post #3228 of 3229 Old 05-23-2020, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I've taken for granted how good this TV actually is. Been watching movies in HDR and DV, which I think looks great. I've also broken out the 3D movies, which I haven't watched in a while and the display works flawlessly. Add in Dolby Atmos and it's a premier viewing experience. I'm still loving this set and my setup and I hope it lasts for years to come!
bennutt and snpanago like this.
post #3229 of 3229 Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
I've taken for granted how good this TV actually is. Been watching movies in HDR and DV, which I think looks great. I've also broken out the 3D movies, which I haven't watched in a while and the display works flawlessly. Add in Dolby Atmos and it's a premier viewing experience. I'm still loving this set and my setup and I hope it lasts for years to come!

I keep waiting for a TV (or projector) to beat it. Nothing comes close at any reasonable price point, especially with the mix of Dolby Vision and 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snpanago likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page