***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1524Likes

post #61 of 3130 Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hql37 View Post
I don't have network connectivity problem.
I have a screen problem. I received my Umax today and noticed a blue blob on the screen (see the attached images). Does anyone know what may be the cause of this? I plan to call LeEco service tomorrow.
On the le.com forum there was a discussion about a blue circle on a X4-65 screen that was due to the Data Visualizer setting on ES file explorer. You don't have a circle, so probably not related - but just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3130 Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
It is still here after 3 and a half days. I will keep monitoring until the TX is picked up on Wednesday. Thanks
Thanks to Spearse's suggestion I looked at the blob closely today and I happened to tap at it. The blob started to disappear upon my touch. Apparently, the screen got compressed and caused the blue blob. I'm back to business now. Just completed the initial calibration and started to watch the super bowl now.
legolad likes this.
post #63 of 3130 Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolad View Post
Hey Russs,

The legs are actually right at the ends of the TV. I hung mine on the wall, but if I wanted to use the legs, I'd be making 2 pedestals, one for each end.

The TV is about 170 pounds with the legs, so stability and strength are paramount. I tend to over-engineer when I build, but here is how I'd do it:
1. Build 2 pedestals, 18-24" square, at the desired height.
2. Use 4x4 posts at the corners with 2x4" cross-supports notched across the legs and bolted tight, 2 bolts per connection.
3. Top it with 1" plywood.
4. Cover with black fabric.

Now buy/build a cabinet that will fit under the TV and between the pedestals.

Good luck!
Thanks for the answer and the suggestion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 3130 Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I am a relative novice to the AV enthusiast game. With that being said, I am confused by the local dimming on my uMax. When the local dimming is "off," I have very little/no halo effect, but screen uniformity issues. When local dimming is "on," I have a more uniform screen (looks less dirty) but there are significant halos around all bright objects, especially white text on a dark screen.

I thought local dimming was desirable, in large part, because it minimized halos. Are other people having this problem?
post #65 of 3130 Old 02-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks to Spearse's suggestion I looked at the blob closely today and I happened to tap at it. The blob started to disappear upon my touch. Apparently, the screen got compressed and caused the blue blob. I'm back to business now. Just completed the initial calibration and started to watch the super bowl now.
Glad to be of help. Returning that TV might have been a logistics nightmare...

Would love to hear what your calibration settings are?

post #66 of 3130 Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
That is excellent news! I will add this to the Troubleshooting thread.

Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof.
post #67 of 3130 Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney320 View Post
I am a relative novice to the AV enthusiast game. With that being said, I am confused by the local dimming on my uMax. When the local dimming is "off," I have very little/no halo effect, but screen uniformity issues. When local dimming is "on," I have a more uniform screen (looks less dirty) but there are significant halos around all bright objects, especially white text on a dark screen.

I thought local dimming was desirable, in large part, because it minimized halos. Are other people having this problem?
I have noticed this exact same thing, but haven't paid much attention to it yet because I haven't had time to calibrate my set. If anyone has ideas on what we should expect to see, I'd like to hear your input as well.

post #68 of 3130 Old 02-06-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Hey Russs,
The legs are actually right at the ends of the TV. I hung mine on the wall, but if I wanted to use the legs, I'd be making 2 pedestals, one for each end.
We think alike as I made the same suggestion in the "LeEco Announces New TVs for US Market" thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
As the feet of the Umax85 are at the extreme ends of the display, 2 separate sturdy pedestals could be used to support the TV.
post #69 of 3130 Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
We think alike as I made the same suggestion in the "LeEco Announces New TVs for US Market" thread.
Heh. That's probably where I got the idea, though I swear I'd already forgotten.
TravisBean likes this.

post #70 of 3130 Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I'm still waiting for my Optical cable, so I don't know for sure. My assumption is that the TV shuts off the internal speakers.
Internal speakers get shut off. Set the digital out to Auto.
post #71 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I just received an email from LeEco that says my TV will be shipping in early March. This is different than I was told in an email 5 days ago where they said the TV was in batch 4 and would be in the US around February 17. This continuing uncertainty and delays is getting frustrating. I have no idea when the TV will actually be at my home.
post #72 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Howard View Post
I just received an email from LeEco that says my TV will be shipping in early March. This is different than I was told in an email 5 days ago where they said the TV was in batch 4 and would be in the US around February 17. This continuing uncertainty and delays is getting frustrating. I have no idea when the TV will actually be at my home.
Batch 2 was also pushed back and is expected to arrive by February 17th. Just think about the 85" of 4K HDR goodness that will replace your current tv.
B Howard likes this.
post #73 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I know this is a long shot, but for fun, has anyone seen this compared to Vizio's latest 80" Thoughts/compairisons?>

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #74 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just got an email from LeEco that mine is ready for delivery and has a tracking number. The AIT website shows they have the TV and will be contacting me shortly for delivery. I think I was in batch 2.
daniel17693 likes this.
post #75 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I don't want to dampen the excitement/fear, but let's keep the anticipation stuff over in the other thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...us-market.html

Just want to make sure we keep things focused on open issues and feature content here.

Thanks for helping out. :-)

post #76 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Looks like the price just went up: $5,499. http://www.lemall.com/us/tv/leeco_umax85/index.html

Look forward to hearing from more owners.
Hey Ellis. Thanks for the heads up on this, but let's keep all the pricing talk over in the other thread, please: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...us-market.html

Just want to keep this thread focused on open issues and feature questions.

Thanks for helping out. :-)

post #77 of 3130 Old 02-08-2017, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Could someone who chose the directv now service say what level of programming comes for free, is it the basic Live a Little. Could someone with the EcoPass free 1000 points say what that gets you - how many new releases or what else? I should be getting my TV in a couple of days and I'm still undecided which one to pick.
post #78 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Would love to hear from anyone who has calibrated their Umax TV, what settings they ended up with. Nobody has done this yet...
legolad and daniel17693 like this.

post #79 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM

After so much excitement for the uMax85, I feel like this thread (and all uMax85 discussion) has gone stagnant. With the caveat that I am not a trained eye by any means, here are my impressions:

Unboxing is about as simple as can be, as long as you can get the TV up the stairs or in the elevator. Once you unbox it, you realize the TV is, as we all hoped, big! All of my friends are incredibly impressed with the size. The fit and finish is good and the leeco homescreen is bright and pleasant. The 3d is active and works well, in my opinion. However, I would like to know what other glasses are compatible. The SmartTv features are relatively smooth, but as I've mentioned before, my tv will not hold an internet connection. Half an hour into watching anything on a TV-based app, the TV says there is an error and stops playback. I have to do a full reboot to get it back. As with other forum members, I have the same issues with ARC and local dimming. Also, when I first watched a movie, the motion smoothing feature was turned all the way up, which created artifacts and terrible SOE. After I turned it off, that all went away. The issues I am really displeased with are screen uniformity and halo effect. I constantly see vertical shadows in the screen, and now I'm fixated on it. When I turn the local dimming off and back on, the uniformity is *better* but the halo effect is terrible. I would really like to resolve this issue.

I should also note the obvious. This screen is so big, that if you play standard resolution (or even HD) content, it looks grainy. However, UHD content looks spectacular.
post #80 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
After so much excitement for the uMax85, I feel like this thread (and all uMax85 discussion) has gone stagnant. With the caveat that I am not a trained eye by any means, here are my impressions:

Unboxing is about as simple as can be, as long as you can get the TV up the stairs or in the elevator. Once you unbox it, you realize the TV is, as we all hoped, big! All of my friends are incredibly impressed with the size. The fit and finish is good and the leeco homescreen is bright and pleasant. The 3d is active and works well, in my opinion. However, I would like to know what other glasses are compatible. The SmartTv features are relatively smooth, but as I've mentioned before, my tv will not hold an internet connection. Half an hour into watching anything on a TV-based app, the TV says there is an error and stops playback. I have to do a full reboot to get it back. As with other forum members, I have the same issues with ARC and local dimming. Also, when I first watched a movie, the motion smoothing feature was turned all the way up, which created artifacts and terrible SOE. After I turned it off, that all went away. The issues I am really displeased with are screen uniformity and halo effect. I constantly see vertical shadows in the screen, and now I'm fixated on it. When I turn the local dimming off and back on, the uniformity is *better* but the halo effect is terrible. I would really like to resolve this issue.

I should also note the obvious. This screen is so big, that if you play standard resolution (or even HD) content, it looks grainy. However, UHD content looks spectacular.
No upscaler in the tv?
post #81 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
After so much excitement for the uMax85, I feel like this thread (and all uMax85 discussion) has gone stagnant.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Sounds like you are having similar experiences to others. I am still trying to get my EcoPass activated and still waiting on a lost TOSLink cable, so I haven't used the streaming much. When I did use it, I watched several hours of streams on Netflix and Hulu without issue. In my case I'm using an ethernet cable, not wifi, so that may be the difference.

I don't know what your standards are for activity, but there are posts here a few times a week, if not every day. I assume we all have day jobs, so I expect to see posts mostly on the weekends unless there's an issue.

With so few owners out there, I don't expect to see a lot of posts yet. I think the relative lack of troubleshooting issues indicates that the TV itself is pretty well made. I do see the halos when Local Dimming is on, but only in the grey menu screens. Once I'm watching a show, I don't notice anything at all.

Currently I'm using the default settings.

post #82 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearse View Post
Would love to hear from anyone who has calibrated their Umax TV, what settings they ended up with. Nobody has done this yet...
I'm still trying to decide between hiring someone and buying the equipment to do it myself. :-)

post #83 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplington View Post
Could someone who chose the directv now service say what level of programming comes for free, is it the basic Live a Little. Could someone with the EcoPass free 1000 points say what that gets you - how many new releases or what else? I should be getting my TV in a couple of days and I'm still undecided which one to pick.
When they finally get my EcoPass sorted out, I will be happy to do this.

post #84 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My EcoPass issue was resolved today. Get in touch with LeEco_Eric via this thread on their website. He was able to get to the right group within the company to fix my account.

Now I just need to figure out how/where to use DirecTV Now. It wasn't obvious, to me at least. Once I know how to access it, I can also figure out what package we get.

Quote:
When they finally get my EcoPass sorted out, I will be happy to do this.
post #85 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G. View Post
My EcoPass issue was resolved today. Get in touch with LeEco_Eric via this thread on their website. He was able to get to the right group within the company to fix my account.

Now I just need to figure out how/where to use DirecTV Now. It wasn't obvious, to me at least. Once I know how to access it, I can also figure out what package we get.
You can't access DirectvNow. The app doesn't exist yet for LeEco Android TVs. Really aggravates me, since I signed up in December and it's near mid-February and I haven't been able to use it. And no, casting from a phone truly sucks, I won't do it.

LeEco says the app should appear "soon" but they said that in December as well.

post #86 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Geez. I had no idea. That's really disappointing especially given that it's only 3 months free. Almost a non-event, actually. I was under the impression we got 12 months free. If we had more time, the delay in getting the app out might be less painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearse View Post
You can't access DirectvNow. The app doesn't exist yet for LeEco Android TVs. Really aggravates me, since I signed up in December and it's near mid-February and I haven't been able to use it. And no, casting from a phone truly sucks, I won't do it.

LeEco says the app should appear "soon" but they said that in December as well.
post #87 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Heh. Yep. I had been working with already. I pinged him again today. Same message as always. "Try logging in again."
Only this time it actually worked. EcoPass is activated and I got my DirecTV code set up.

Sadly, as others have learned, there's no app for it on the TV. You have to cast from an Android device. My Android tablet kind of sucks - or DirectTV's app sucks. Not sure which. But it was entirely unusable for me.

Oh well. You get what you pay for. :-)

post #88 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Geez. I had no idea. That's really disappointing especially given that it's only 3 months free. Almost a non-event, actually. I was under the impression we got 12 months free. If we had more time, the delay in getting the app out might be less painful.
The offer page when you enter your code says 3 months, but it's a default message. The code is actually good for 12 months. That said, it's worth checking your bills in 3 months to make sure you aren't getting charged. You have to give them a credit card or Paypal account to sign up and use the code.

post #89 of 3130 Old 02-09-2017, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplington View Post
I got mine set up tonight.

The way it works is this:

You create a free trial account in DirecTV Now's web site.
During setup you choose any package you like. I chose the "Gotta Have It" package since I plan on cancelling it before I run out anyway.

When you go to check out, they ask for a credit card or Paypal account.
On that same page there is a promo code field where you put the code you got from Leeco.
The page will say you are getting 3 months, but I think it's just a default message. Others have said that it's actually a 12-month code.

Still, I plan on checking my billing in 3 months, just to be sure.

post #90 of 3130 Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received an email today advising my Umax delivery will now arrive mid Feb after the previous email stated beginning March. I'll have less time than expected to get my theater room ready. Can anyone help with advice on a few items? If this is not the appropriate board please let me know.
1. Advice on a wall mount that would work for this TV?
2. Any opinions on a good surround sound system?
3. Do I need a receiver?

Greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page