***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1528Likes

post #1231 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
Finally, I am able to get DV working from oppo 203 by upgraded chinese firmware, PQ is amazing

1. You have to reset the TV after upgrade by remote combination, otherwise, TV will enter startup loop
2. All internal apps (netflix, youtube) will be gone and replaced by chinese apps
3. English language can be selected from general setting
4. I have not try the tuner function, it maybe not working too
5. When I play the HDR (no DV) contents, PQ is good and "HDR10" logo show up, but no HDR mode from picture setting
6. I don't know if anybody have a backup or US firmware file, you can roll backup if you don't like the chinese firmware
You're a hero. A brave hero. So the tradeoff is DV for internal app support; I wonder if it's possible to get .apks from somewhere and sideload to get the apps back. But that's already a pretty reasonable compromise given you're likely streaming the apps from something else anyway if you're doing DV over HDMI.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Finally, I am able to get DV working from oppo 203 by upgraded chinese firmware, PQ is amazing

1. You have to reset the TV after upgrade by remote combination (I forgot what exactly are, you can find it from this forum), otherwise, TV will enter startup loop
2. All internal apps (netflix, youtube) will be gone and replaced by chinese apps
5. When I play the HDR (no DV) contents, PQ is good and "HDR10" logo shown up, but no HDR mode from picture setting
6. I don't know if anybody have a backup of US firmware file, you can roll back if you don't like the chinese firmware
You are indeed a leader for the group, thank you. Did the Chinese firmware fix the HDR10 bug so we don’t have to toggle tv inputs any longer? With your #5 sentence, are you stating you don’t get HDR10 anymore when playing a non-DV UHD disc via the Oppo 203?

Last edited by snpanago; 12-11-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #1233 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrin42 View Post
You're a hero. A brave hero. So the tradeoff is DV for internal app support; I wonder if it's possible to get .apks from somewhere and sideload to get the apps back. But that's already a pretty reasonable compromise given you're likely streaming the apps from something else anyway if you're doing DV over HDMI.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
WOW!!! This is BIG news. I'm glad someone gave it a shot and it worked. Maybe we'll get the exact instructions and more owners will give a shot too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 10
***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Greats job for testing out the Chinese firmware. Please keep us inform if the tv tuner is still working.

I used Adblink connected to the tv via the tv IP address. I installed a few apps (apk ) but it is not showing in the home menu. I can still access to it but from the setting menu a little inconvenient but the installed apk is there.

Also, I think you can get access to recovery menu from using adblink software in window. And see if a current Us firmware can be save to a flash drive in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1235 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
You are indeed a leader for the group, thank you. Did the Chinese firmware fix the HDR10 bug so we don’t have to toggle tv inputs any longer? With your #5 sentence, are you stating you don’t get HDR10 anymore when playing a non-DV UHD disc via the Oppo 203?
I have compared PQ by disabled hdr from oppo 203, it is indeed it looks much better when hdr is enabled and the TV is shown hdr10 logo from upper left corner, however, no hdr mode from picture setting. I don't know if I have to do the hdmi trick, but no internal apps to do it
IBNR likes this.
post #1236 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Jesus...........balls of steel

Quote:

1. You have to reset the TV after upgrade by remote combination (I forgot what exactly are, you can find it from this forum), otherwise, TV will enter startup loop
5. When I play the HDR (no DV) contents, PQ is good and "HDR10" logo shown up, but no HDR mode from picture setting
6. I don't know if anybody have a backup of US firmware file, you can roll back if you don't like the chinese firmware

Wow nice going. So tempted to try this. Can you walk us through step by step of the actual update process?

So HDR and DV automatically happen, you just dont have any PQ settings for them?
post #1237 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Nice! Awarding you “balls of steel” for this. -<< Note I posted this before seeing the subject line of post above. Guess we are on the same page.
I don’t use any internal apps or tuner so I might do this, I’m just concerned about trading DV for (much more common) HDR.
Is there a way to confirm that consoles or other material will properly display HDR content that isn’t DV?

From what you described it sounds like it plays the HDR in standard modes only, like Game or Cinema, or are *all* adjustments gone?

IBNR likes this.

Last edited by bennutt; 12-11-2017 at 02:46 PM.
post #1238 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Also, I can't find a downloadable resource for the older US Firmware (no rollback) but the original Chinese files are still online at this link

Does anyone know what the "remote code" is for bouncing it out of the infinite boot loop?
IBNR likes this.
post #1239 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow -- what was involved in getting the Chinese firmware onto your TV? I just received my set today, and am very keen on hearing your feedback on the new firmware. Have you tried any DV content through streaming apps (Netflix / Vudu / etc.)? Did the firmware upgrade the base version of Android? Sorry for all the questions

Quote:

IBNR likes this.
post #1240 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Wow nice going. So tempted to try this. Can you walk us through step by step of the actual update process?

So HDR and DV automatically happen, you just dont have any PQ settings for them?
That would be awesome if you could give us all the steps so we can follow suit. I think we each might need to send him a gift card for his efforts. In regards to HDR, you mention it shows up automatically, can you still choose movie mode or any other mode?
IBNR likes this.
post #1241 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 PM

chinese firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
That would be awesome if you could give us all the steps so we can follow suit. I think we each might need to send him a gift card for his efforts. In regards to HDR, you mention it shows up automatically, can you still choose movie mode or any other mode?
This is what I am getting when I play Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD disc (no DV) from Oppo 203 player via hdmi direct connected. As you can see from picture 1, it shown correct information from TV which is "2160P 60Hz", "HDR10" and "HDR" are popped up too. From picture 2, no HDR mode from picture setting, movie or other modes can be selected as normal. Left side of the pictures 2 are the advanced information from Oppo 203, they are looking alright and output HDR/4:2:2 12 bit correctly. I am not sure if it is on HDR mode or not, but the PQ is very good compared with when HDR is disabled. I don't know if I have to do the hdmi trick to let the HDR mode kick in, but there is no internal app to try it.

Also, I will write a instruction how to upgrade chinese firmware for those who are interesting, maybe later tonight because it will take some times. I have to reset my TV to default and take pictures step by step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_180006.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	2329304   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171211_180117.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	2329306  
snpanago and IBNR like this.
post #1242 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what I am getting when I play Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk UHD disc (no DV) from Oppo 203 player via hdmi direct connected. As you can see from picture 1, it shown correct information from TV which is "2160P 60Hz", "HDR10" and "HDR" are popped up too. From picture 2, no HDR mode from picture setting, movie or other modes can be selected as normal. Left side of the pictures 2 are the advanced information from Oppo 203, they are looking alright and output HDR/4:2:2 12 bit correctly. I am not sure if it is on HDR mode or not, but the PQ is very good compared with when HDR is disabled. I don't know if I have to do the hdmi trick to let the HDR mode kick in, but there is no internal app to try it.

Also, I will write a instruction how to upgrade chinese firmware for those who are interesting, maybe later tonight because it will take some times. I have to reset my TV to default and take pictures step by step.
Thanks for your efforts. When you cycle through the source inputs on the tv, do you no longer have the input labeled Channels? If you do, have you cycled out of HDMI2, let Channels display temporarily, then back to your non-DV movie on HDMI2, to check if HDR shown on picture settings?
post #1243 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:

I’d be most interested to know if a reset takes it back to the US defaults or not.

post #1244 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
I’d be most interested to know if a reset takes it back to the US defaults or not.

it won't, for sure
post #1245 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your efforts. When you cycle through the source inputs on the tv, do you no longer have the input labeled Channels? If you do, have you cycled out of HDMI2, let Channels display temporarily, then back to your non-DV movie on HDMI2, to check if HDR shown on picture settings?
I tried that but still no hdr mode
post #1246 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried that but still no hdr mode
The Oppo output settings, when you were displaying HDR10, were the settings on Auto or 10 bit output? Or the same as the settings currently with DV?
post #1247 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The Oppo output settings, when you were displaying HDR10, were the settings on Auto or 10 bit output? Or the same as the settings currently with DV?
It is Auto, same setting when I play DV contents
post #1248 of 3161 Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 PM

INSTRUCTION OF CHINESE FIRMWARE UPGRADE FOR LEECO UMAX85
Please take it at your own risk, I just want to share my experience and help each other. I don’t take any
responsibility for any damages or losses . There is no US firmware file available yet, so no rollback is possible at this moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lo6u1imr0...MAX85.pdf?dl=0
IBNR likes this.
post #1249 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Please take it at your own risk, I just want to share my experience and help each other. I don’t take any
responsibility for any damages or losses . There is no US firmware file available yet, so no rollback is possible at this moment.

Thanks for this... I have no reason to perform this upgrade yet but will keep the instructions and firmware file for possible later use. I've read that when the Star Wars franchise is released in 4K by Disney it will be in DolbyVision. That's about the only thing that will cause me to buy a DV capable blu-ray player and update the TV. I watched Valerian in HDR last weekend and was blown away by the PQ on this set. That movie is an HDR masterpiece.

Martin
IBNR likes this.

Video: LeEco uMax85, Pioneer Elite SC-LX801; Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II & RB-51 II; 2 Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs; Comcast X1 / Philips BDP7302 / Apple TV 4K / Xbox One X
Audio: YS-Audio Audio Experience Balanced A2; DIY ICEpower 1200AS1 monoblocks; Tube Fantasy 300b PSET monoblocks; Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE; Topping DX7s; Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Volumio; PS Audio GCPH; Opera Consonance LP-2.0; Mørch UP-4; Grado Sonata; Sennheiser HD 598
post #1250 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Can you post the link to the firmware please
post #1251 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It’s tricky to copy using my phone, but go one page back to post #1238 and I have it there.

IBNR likes this.
post #1252 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
It’s tricky to copy using my phone, but go one page back to post #1238 and I have it there.

http://ui.letv.com/website/downloads/72.html

These recent developments are amazing! Sincere gratitude to Chris for his pioneering efforts (not to mention bravery!) in exploring the Chinese firmware updates for these TVs here in America. Right now, I'm in Martin's camp but to know that there is a functioning option to unlock DV on this TV is very, very exciting. I look forward to more reports from the field as more people give this a try!
Game Fan likes this.

Last edited by IBNR; 12-12-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #1253 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Chris, again, thank you so much for putting this together. Now that you're running your TV on the most recent version of the Chinese firmware, what happens when you go back into the System Update menu and select the "Online Update" option? Does the TV connect to the US update servers and offer the option of "updating" to the latest US firmware (which is actually a "downgrade" from the Chinese version you manually installed)? If so, this could be an option to roll-back the firmware to the US standard.

Or does the TV now try to connect to the Chinese update servers? Or does the the "Online Update" option no longer exist on your TV at all?

Also, if you have a minute, it would be very helpful if you could post a few pictures showing what your Home screen looks like with the Chinese firmware running. I understand from your posts that the US apps have been replaced with Chinese versions, but are there other changes positive or negative? Ditto with the basic Settings menu options? I personally would be fine with losing all on-board apps since I don't use them anyway, and using a separate streaming device connected through HDMI, but I'd love to get a sense of what other changes this process makes to the TV's day-to-day functionality.

THANK YOU!
post #1254 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I cannot fathom that the Chinese firmware would obliterate the ubiquitous HDR10 to bring us DV. If we can, I think we should put our heads together to help chrisfsk troubleshoot this issue. I don’t think he’s got a streaming device attached via HDMI to check the HDR capability; and why would the Oppo HDR10 not display on the UMax if it worked before with the same output settings?
IBNR likes this.
post #1255 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I cannot fathom that the Chinese firmware would obliterate the ubiquitous HDR10 to bring us DV. If we can, I think we should put our heads together to help chrisfsk troubleshoot this issue. I don’t think he’s got a streaming device attached via HDMI to check the HDR capability; and why would the Oppo HDR10 not display on the UMax if it worked before with the same output settings?
I may be misinterpreting the photos and comments Chris has posted on this issue, but it seems to me that his TV *is* correctly displaying HDR10 content through HDMI from his Oppo...could it be that the Chinese firmware has changed the Settings and Picture Mode menus such that a separate and specific "HDR" Picture Mode like we all have in our US-firmware units no longer exists?

This is just a guess on my part, but the screen shots he posted clearly show the Oppo reporting HDR10 output, I think it would not do that if the TV wasn't actually displaying HDR10? I know my Sony UBP-X800 only indicates "HDR" output when the TV is actually displaying it, otherwise it indicates "HDR --> SDR" when playback info is displayed.
post #1256 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
I may be misinterpreting the photos and comments Chris has posted on this issue, but it seems to me that his TV *is* correctly displaying HDR10 content through HDMI from his Oppo...could it be that the Chinese firmware has changed the Settings and Picture Mode menus such that a separate and specific "HDR" Picture Mode like we all have in our US-firmware units no longer exists?

This is just a guess on my part, but the screen shots he posted clearly show the Oppo reporting HDR10 output, I think it would not do that if the TV wasn't actually displaying HDR10? I know my Sony UBP-X800 only indicates "HDR" output when the TV is actually displaying it, otherwise it indicates "HDR --> SDR" when playback info is displayed.
I’m not confident at all about displaying HDR10 if the tv picture setting shows MOVIE Mode.
Reminds me of when I purchased one of the earliest DV discs (Despicable Me 2) hoping that the lack of DV on the tv via HDMI might have been on streaming devices only. The window of the Oppo displayed the DolbyVision symbol, but the tv settings showed I was in HDR mode.

How could Chris’ non-DV disc now be displaying HDR10, if the settings for HDR no longer appear on the picture settings menu?
post #1257 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I’m not confident at all about displaying HDR10 if the tv picture setting shows MOVIE Mode.
Reminds me of when I purchased one of the earliest DV discs (Despicable Me 2) hoping that the lack of DV on the tv via HDMI might have been on streaming devices only. The window of the Oppo displayed the DolbyVision symbol, but the tv settings showed I was in HDR mode.

How could Chris’ non-DV disc now be displaying HDR10, if the settings for HDR no longer appear on the picture settings menu?
Oh, I'm not confident about it either...just some pure speculation on my part, as I said.

The answer to your question could very well be, "it's not." But like you said earlier, it seems unbelievable that the latest iteration of system firmware in China would eliminate the very common HDR10 capability while unlocking the still very rare DV capability...so, the logical explanation should be that the TV does indeed still display HDR10 properly as it always has, it just no longer has the HDR-specific Picture Mode and related settings. Looking at the screen shots Chris posted, it's very clear to me that the Settings and Picture Mode on-screen menus have changed significantly with this new FW, perhaps the changes are more than merely cosmetic.
post #1258 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I appreciate any help here.

I am doing a home remodel. I purchased this TV a couple weeks ago and I am awaiting for the house to be finalized before installation.

We installed in ceiling speakers. I'm not sure if I should get a receiver and use it strictly for audio and have the video pass through, or should I get a receiver that upscales to the TV. I was just going to run all devices directly to the TV then use optical out to the receiver.

Can anyone recommend what I should do here? I don't mind spending $500 or so on a decent receiver. I will most likely be connecting this to a Sonos as well.
post #1259 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Oh, I'm not confident about it either...just some pure speculation on my part, as I said.

The answer to your question could very well be, "it's not." But like you said earlier, it seems unbelievable that the latest iteration of system firmware in China would eliminate the very common HDR10 capability while unlocking the still very rare DV capability...so, the logical explanation should be that the TV does indeed still display HDR10 properly as it always has, it just no longer has the HDR-specific Picture Mode and related settings. Looking at the screen shots Chris posted, it's very clear to me that the Settings and Picture Mode on-screen menus have changed significantly with this new FW, perhaps the changes are more than merely cosmetic.
Yes, we don't know all the improvements the firmware affords our tvs. However, unless this HDR question is resolved with/for Chris, how many of us are going to go for it?
IBNR likes this.
post #1260 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
I appreciate any help here.

I am doing a home remodel. I purchased this TV a couple weeks ago and I am awaiting for the house to be finalized before installation.

We installed in ceiling speakers. I'm not sure if I should get a receiver and use it strictly for audio and have the video pass through, or should I get a receiver that upscales to the TV. I was just going to run all devices directly to the TV then use optical out to the receiver.

Can anyone recommend what I should do here? I don't mind spending $500 or so on a decent receiver. I will most likely be connecting this to a Sonos as well.
I vote for an AVR that upscales and passes 4K as well as DolbyVision and HDR10 at the very least. The caveat to this recommendation is that you want the 3D audio formats or some degree of future proofing for your home theater.
Some folks, myself included, feel that their AVR upscales non-4k source material a bit better than our tv. Also, I believe that optical out limits your audio format ouput. HDMI can pass higher resolution like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Dolby Atmos. Optical will not but will pass Dolby Digital and other multichannel audio formats.
IBNR likes this.

Last edited by snpanago; 12-12-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page