***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1528Likes

post #1261 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
I vote for an AVR that upscales and passes 4K as well as DolbyVision and HDR10 at the very least. The caveat to this recommendation is that you want the 3D audio formats or some degree of future proofing for your home theater.
Some folks, myself included, feel that their AVR upscales non-4k source material a bit better than our tv. Also, I believe that optical out limits your audio format ouput. HDMI can pass higher resolution like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Dolby Atmos. Optical will not.
I appreciate your time. Any recommendations for a receiver around $500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Yes, we don't know all the improvements the firmware affords our tvs. However, unless this HDR question is resolved with/for Chris, how many of us are going to go for it?
I forgot to mentioned that I have downloaded some HDR test files and played it from flash drive via TV's USB slot, it shown "HDR" logo but still no HDR mode from picture setting. My xbox one x will be arrived today. I will do more tests with different HDR contents (Netflix, Amazon prime) other than Oppo.
snpanago and IBNR like this.
post #1263 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
A favorite AVR I like to recommend is the Denon x3300W. It has all the features necessary to be an excellent hub for HDMI video switching, high res audio formats, bluetooth and wifi connectivity, with 4k upscaling. It retails for $1k but is now available online in most sites for $599. I do not recall if this particular Denon will get the DV upgrade that Denon is planning for many of their AVRs; should check on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
I read you have in-ceiling speakers. What, may I ask, is your speaker layout? 5.1, 7.1, or going Atmos with x.y.2 or 4? Something else?
post #1265 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I read you have in-ceiling speakers. What, may I ask, is your speaker layout? 5.1, 7.1, or going Atmos with x.y.2 or 4? Something else?
****! Forgot about dolby atmos! We did 5.1. We also have 2 speaker cables running to the dining room which is 5 feet away and 2 speaker cables running to the outdoor patio which is 10 feet away. These additional 4 speakers will be used for music only when we have guests.
post #1266 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
****! Forgot about dolby atmos! We did 5.1. We also have 2 speaker cables running to the dining room which is 5 feet away and 2 speaker cables running to the outdoor patio which is 10 feet away. These additional 4 speakers will be used for music only when we have guests.
Okay, so the 4 in-ceiling speakers are in other rooms and you do not currently have any height or ceiling speakers for DTS:X or Atmos 3D sound. If you are not planning to go this route, optical output may be just fine for you and less expensive AVRs may suffice.

To get sound to the other zones (rooms) where your current ceiling speakers are located, most current AVRs have multi-zone outputs, usu. named zone 2 and zone 3, that are powered if the AVR you purchase has the critical number of powered channels. If not, your Sonos purchase could include the Connect:Amp to power a pair of stereo speakers. The base 5.1 and I believe the other zone, could receive Sonos streaming via a different Sonos component called Connect. (Perhaps a smart AVR could distribute Sonos sound sources to both Zone 2 and Zone 3, but you’d not have the choice to have differing programs, via Sonos, to these zones).

Adding all these Sonos options would prove costlier than just purchasing a capable AVR with enough channels to power both zones and connect via Bluetooth to your phone or tablet for music sources.

Last edited by snpanago; 12-12-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #1267 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I vote for an AVR that upscales and passes 4K as well as DolbyVision and HDR10 at the very least. The caveat to this recommendation is that you want the 3D audio formats or some degree of future proofing for your home theater.
Some folks, myself included, feel that their AVR upscales non-4k source material a bit better than our tv. Also, I believe that optical out limits your audio format ouput. HDMI can pass higher resolution like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Dolby Atmos. Optical will not but will pass Dolby Digital and other multichannel audio formats.
Completely agree.
post #1268 of 3161 Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Quote:
Some folks, myself included, feel that their AVR upscales non-4k source material a bit better than our tv. Also, I believe that optical out limits your audio format ouput. HDMI can pass higher resolution like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Dolby Atmos. Optical will not but will pass Dolby Digital and other multichannel audio formats.
Completely agree.
Spent a little more and went for the Denon 4400.
snpanago and IBNR like this.
post #1269 of 3161 Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
I forgot to mentioned that I have downloaded some HDR test files and played it from flash drive via TV's USB slot, it shown "HDR" logo but still no HDR mode from picture setting. My xbox one x will be arrived today. I will do more tests with different HDR contents (Netflix, Amazon prime) other than Oppo.
Please continue to keep us updated on your testing and experiences. As we see what is going on with you, I'm sure more of us will take the plunge and update. I'm curious if you've tested the tuner, for local channels yet?
IBNR likes this.
post #1270 of 3161 Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Fan View Post
Please continue to keep us updated on your testing and experiences. As we see what is going on with you, I'm sure more of us will take the plunge and update. I'm curious if you've tested the tuner, for local channels yet?
No progress, still the same about HDR. I don't know if anyone willing to find a way to backup your current US firmware file for rollback, then it will have more peoples to try this Chinese firmware and figure it out together what is going on ?

About the tuner, I have no active antenna to try it, I am using Charter cable box for TV
IBNR likes this.
post #1271 of 3161 Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
No progress, still the same about HDR. I don't know if anyone willing to find a way to backup your current US firmware file for rollback, then it will have more peoples to try this Chinese firmware and figure it out together what is going on ?

About the tuner, I have no active antenna to try it, I am using Charter cable box for TV
What happens when you go back to the Online Update menu running the Chinese firmware?

Last edited by IBNR; 12-14-2017 at 03:04 PM.
post #1272 of 3161 Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
What happens when you go back to the Onkine Update menu running the Chinese firmware?
It is saying I am already having the latest firmware
IBNR likes this.
post #1273 of 3161 Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Greetings New UMAX 85 on its way!

Hi.
Thank you for all the information.

OK. Concerning the Firmware. What can I expect out of the box? I connect the TV to the internet...will it do firmware automatically, or do I have to initiate it by checking?

Frankly, I don't care much for the software, hence I will using as a monitor.
any other "GOTCHAS" I should know about... besides the 3D things of course.

Thanks
post #1274 of 3161 Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
It is saying I am already having the latest firmware
Ah, well, I guess that eliminates the possibility of having the TV connect to the US-based firmware servers to revert to the US standard firmware in case anyone wants to do an roll-back. But thank you again for confirming.

So, short of anyone finding a downloadable version of the latest US firmware and/or figuring out a way to take a backup of it off a functioning TV that's running it - and I certainly lack the knowledge/skill to do either one - at this point we have to assume that a roll-back isn't possible. That is unfortunate but still not necessarily a deal-killer for me, at least not yet anyway.

Regarding the non-DV HDR issue with Chris' TV, it seems to me we should focus on coming to a definitive conclusion as to whether a problem actually exists before trying to trouble-shoot it. That is to say, there has to be a way to determine, conclusively, if Chris' TV is still displaying HDR10 even if his TV isn't bringing up a Picture Mode menu specifically labeled "HDR" the way these TVs do when running on the US-standard firmware. I can think of two possible ways to do this:

First, Chris should be able to do a simple A/B comparison of non-DV HDR content from a HDR10 disc played off his Oppo 203 by picking some specific scenes likely to highlight the differences between HDR and SDR (i.e., juxtaposing very bright and colorful parts with dark/shadowy parts), making sure the Oppo settings are set to output HDR10, and carefully watching the result on the TV. Then, turn HDR off on the Oppo and, without making any adjustment to the TV settings, watch the same exact scenes again. If there is a definite visible difference of the sort one would expect to see comparing HDR to SDR between the two, then that should prove that the TV is still displaying HDR correctly even if it no longer has a separate and specific "HDR"-labeled picture mode.

The second way, and certainly this is not mutually exclusive to the first, is to see if anyone can get in contact with LeEco customer technical support in China and simply ask them our questions about EUI6.0 on this TV. Does it still display HDR10 for non-DV HDR content after updating to EUI6.0? What happened to the HDR-specific picture mode? Does EUI6.0 update the TV's Android OS from 6.x "Marshmallow" to at least 7.x "Nougat" or (even better) the latest 8.x "Oreo"? And any other questions I'm forgetting here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
ok so lets take this with a grain of salt but my friend in China who is in the LED business spoke to LeEco. They claim the two recent releases (include version 6) can be used for our tv's. Furthermore, they expressed that they would support us however they could to make sure we enjoyed them to the fullest...Now that said in the same conversation they directed him to use the update service to get the latest firmware... we all know that aint happening. So right now not sure which was to go. Tv arrives on the 8th and will hope it has the latest FW and go from there. He is willing to call LeEco as many times as it takes to get a straight answer...if that is possible
TooMany, this post of yours from a month or so ago indicates that you had a contact in China who was able to communicate with LeEco CS...is that line of communication still open? If so, would you be able and willing to ask this friend of yours to try and get these answers for us?

Finally, I was Googling around on LeEco's Chinese web pages today and did find at least some published info on EUI6.0 for these TVs in China, including this interesting tidbit courtesy of Google Translate: "EUI6.0 is a joint design team developed by China and the United States, with the simplicity and beauty of the global user base, as well as a sense of unity and focus on serving Open Eco and business-as-a-service." From this I infer that there was at least an original intent that some version of EUI6.0 would be made available for US-based TVs; whether that ever happens now with everything that's happened and happening to LeEco in both the US and in China is anyone's guess, but I have to think this is the reason why the latest Chinese firmware works on US-based TVs at all.

http://www.lemall.com/umax85.html
http://www.lemall.com/umax85/eui.html

For whatever they are worth, these are my best thoughts and ideas on our situation at the moment!
snpanago likes this.

Last edited by IBNR; 12-14-2017 at 04:22 PM.
post #1275 of 3161 Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcimo View Post
Hi.

OK. Concerning the Firmware. What can I expect out of the box? I connect the TV to the internet...will it do firmware automatically, or do I have to initiate it by checking?

Thanks
Out of the box it will almost certainly have an old version of the US-based firmware, at least one and maybe two versions back. To update, you'll need to go to the System Update menu which lives in the LeEco apps strip on the Home screen (i.e., it does not live anywhere in the "Settings" menu tree), and then select "Online Update". Assuming the US-based firmware servers are still operating at this time - I think they are but do not know for sure - it should quickly find the latest version of the US firmware 5.8.056S_0420 and ask if you want to update to that version. Pick yes and let 'er rip. It's a very large file so it will take several minutes to download, install, and restart the TV. Once that's done, you'll be in the same boat with the rest of us!

Other than that, no new issues beyond what you've seen in this thread if you've read through the past 1-2 months worth of posts.

What do you mean by "the 3D things"?

Good luck!
post #1276 of 3161 Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Anyone using a Nvidia shield with the tv....how the heck do you get HDR to work....
post #1277 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I recall someone having ghostly vertical lines all across their screen during lighter colored scenes. How many have this issue and what have you done to correct it?

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
post #1278 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Troyce View Post
I recall someone having ghostly vertical lines all across their screen during lighter colored scenes. How many have this issue and what have you done to correct it?
Thankfully, this is not an issue for me.
IBNR likes this.
post #1279 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Anyone using a Nvidia shield with the tv....how the heck do you get HDR to work....
This is the first report I’ve seen of HDR problems with NVIDIA Shield, which is worrisome because that’s the streamer I’m most interested in buying.

Have you done all the usual checks like making sure the HDMI input on the TV is set to “4K/60”, HDMI cables are all at least certified premium, checking all the settings on the Shield, updating all your streaming service accounts to the level that includes 4K HDR content, doing the TV input cycle fix if the TV doesn’t switch into HDR mode when the content starts playing, if you’re running the Shield through an AVR or sound bar making sure that unit is capable of passing HDR (this last one was my error when trying to get HDR from my Sony UHD BD player; I discovered my older AVR will pass 4K/60 but not HDR in any form)...?
snpanago likes this.
post #1280 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I can see it only when there’s very fast camera movement across an expanse of very bright blue/white surface such as televised ice hockey, but even then only extremely faintly. I never watch hockey so it’s not something I’m at all concerned about, but even if I did the effect is so minimal (to my eyes) that it wouldn’t bother me. I’m not aware of any specific fix for this issue.
snpanago and Rolls Troyce like this.
post #1281 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Hi.

Thanks
A note about the firmware update. Mine took awhile to start. I was getting worried and decided to let it sit for awhile and not touch the TV. After many minutes, the download finally started. From there all went well. The TV has a good picture. While mine may not report HDR I do see differences when playing HDR material. You can still select picture settings such as STANDARD and MOVIE but there are no loner options to make adjustments. On non-HDR material the adjustment options are there.

The firmware update installed DirectTV Now but the app doesn't work for me.

I like the TV enough that I wish I had bought a second one considering the great price. I do find that, when watching regular TV shows, they look more like soap operas. I notice the limited camera angles. Movies are more like being at the theater.
post #1282 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Out of the box it will almost certainly have an old version of the US-based firmware, at least one and maybe two versions back. To update, you'll need to go to the System Update menu which lives in the LeEco apps strip on the Home screen (i.e., it does not live anywhere in the "Settings" menu tree), and then select "Online Update". Assuming the US-based firmware servers are still operating at this time - I think they are but do not know for sure - it should quickly find the latest version of the US firmware 5.8.056S_0420 and ask if you want to update to that version. Pick yes and let 'er rip. It's a very large file so it will take several minutes to download, install, and restart the TV. Once that's done, you'll be in the same boat with the rest of us!

Other than that, no new issues beyond what you've seen in this thread if you've read through the past 1-2 months worth of posts.

What do you mean by "the 3D things"?

Good luck!
The issue with finding compatible 3D glasses and how to activate them.

Thanks
IBNR likes this.
post #1283 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
A note about the firmware update. Mine took awhile to start. I was getting worried and decided to let it sit for awhile and not touch the TV. After many minutes, the download finally started. From there all went well. The TV has a good picture. While mine may not report HDR I do see differences when playing HDR material. You can still select picture settings such as STANDARD and MOVIE but there are no loner options to make adjustments. On non-HDR material the adjustment options are there.

I like the TV enough that I wish I had bought a second one considering the great price. I do find that, when watching regular TV shows, they look more like soap operas. I notice the limited camera angles. Movies are more like being at the theater.
If you are not using the application software, but just a monitor,
is it better not too update? I want to keep as much screen settings as I can.

Thanks
post #1284 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
If you are not using the application software, but just a monitor,

is it better not too update? I want to keep as much screen settings as I can.

Thanks

If you are talking about the US online update, do it. No question. It has the most complete features (missing Dolby Vision streaming)

We are still collectively deciding risk/reward on the Chinese firmware update (which is a manual USB process) this one allows Dolby Vision streaming, but kills your apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBNR likes this.
post #1285 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
This is the first report I’ve seen of HDR problems with NVIDIA Shield, which is worrisome because that’s the streamer I’m most interested in buying....
I've had problems with my NVIDIA Shield + Vizio combo, so this would not be unique to the LeEco.
post #1286 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
If you are talking about the US online update, do it. No question. It has the most complete features (missing Dolby Vision streaming)

We are still collectively deciding risk/reward on the Chinese firmware update (which is a manual USB process) this one allows Dolby Vision streaming, but kills your apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may have missed this, or maybe just a dumb question, but does the Chinese firmware remove the Google Play Store? What's preventing us from getting the apps back on to the TV?
post #1287 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMahon View Post
I may have missed this, or maybe just a dumb question, but does the Chinese firmware remove the Google Play Store? What's preventing us from getting the apps back on to the TV?
I don't think all the applications are publicly listed on the store; they're like OEM apps on your phone. If there are generic AndroidTV replacements available or sideloadable .apk files somewhere, we're in business. But I don't think all the apps (or then most) have such options.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #1288 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Someone needs to root these suckers and let the Devs at it. Bounty for full functionality Then I could buy one lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
IBNR likes this.
post #1289 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post

This is an interesting observation. The absence of adjustments (do you mean like saturation, brightness, hue, motion) with HDR material yet all is normal with non-HDR source material, merits some thought.
Another post previously mentioned the HDR Marvel shows on Netflix streamed to the TV via HDMI. Before the Input toggling HDR fix, the Marvel introduction appears washed out and orange-like in color. When HDR is successfully engaged, this intro is definitely red. Can you assess whether your HDR material is washed out or engaged successfully, based on any previous programming you're familiar with?

Also, the soap opera effect should go away completely by going into Picture Settings and choosing Motion: OFF
Is this adjustment present on your new firmware with HDR material (and non-HDR material)?
IBNR likes this.
post #1290 of 3161 Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This issue is present on my set as well, but I don't focus on it and am not bothered by it.

Vertical banding is the term usually to describe specifically the vertical banding issues on LCD displays. It's caused by a difficulty in controlling the vertically controlled arrays of LCD pixels and keeping them all at the same voltages, etc. It will vary from display to display, and is usually most visible on green, which causes itself to be seen on smooth images especially skies and the like.

Note that these will be vertical kinds of faint stripes in the image across the screen. Other banding/contouring problems can appear on any display and in other directions because of bit-depth problems. Many LCDs have other contouring/banding problems besides VB.
IBNR and Rolls Troyce like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page