***Official*** LeEco 2016 UMax85 Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1528Likes

post #2011 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
While watching a video via the youtube app on the shield, if I switch to another input then switch back the shield will completely close the youtube app! It's pretty odd.

I have our cable box and Nvidia Shield plugged in directly to the TV right now. I also am using the original LeEco remote. I have tried pausing the video on Netflix, but when I come back It is back on the homepage of the TV show or Video which gives me the program information. I then have to start the video and load it up again.
I think I may have been editing my post at the same time you were quoting it to reply...did you see my addition about checking to make sure you're actually experiencing the "HDR Bug" in your system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank you! A bit of an update. I did notice the Netflix logo was a little orange and not a nice red. Not sure why I tried this, but instead of cycling to another HDMI source while playing Netflix, I cycled to the AV source and when I switched back, I saw "HDR" on the bottom of the screen while "Marco Polo" was still playing on the Shield. I went to the settings and I could still see "Standard", "Movie" etc though. Is this normal with the Chinese firmware? I thought once in HDR mode you would only see HDR in the display setting.
IBNR likes this.
post #2013 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolad View Post
I don't see that
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
I do not have a Shield so I can't speak to HDR from that source specifically, but on the CN firmware apart from the visually-obvious differences in color and contrast between SDR and HDR, the TV will briefly display a small grey pop-up info bubble near the bottom center of the screen that says "HDR" when it receives and displays an HDR signal. I get this consistently when viewing HDR content through streaming apps and discs from my Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player.

NOTE: Updating to the CN firmware did NOT fix the "HDR Bug" in my system with respect to HDR content through streaming apps...whenever I want to watch HDR content through Netflix (which, as a practical matter, is the only HDR-enabled streaming app available on the Sony UBP-X800), I must still go through the HMDI cycling fix (for reasons I cannot explain, that fix is usually not required to get HDR off a 4K/HDR Blu-ray disc). I mention this because it's something you might want to try with your Shield if you haven't already.
Quote:
Thank you! A bit of an update. I did notice the Netflix logo was a little orange and not a nice red. Not sure why I tried this, but instead of cycling to another HDMI source while playing Netflix, I cycled to the AV source and when I switched back, I saw "HDR" on the bottom of the screen while "Marco Polo" was still playing on the Shield. I went to the settings and I could still see "Standard", "Movie" etc though. Is this normal with the Chinese firmware? I thought once in HDR mode you would only see HDR in the display setting.
I had the same HDR bug on CN firmware too. Not sure if this is relevant to you, and may be unique to Roku Ultra but basically if I set the Roku Ultra to 4K/60hz as soon an HDR video came on the display went blank and I had to reboot the TV and the Roku to get the picture back. Again this was only on the CN firmware, not the US. I then switched it to 4K/30hz and that got rid of the blank screen issue but I still had the same "HDR bug" that the US firmware has (where switching inputs fixes it). The US firmware did not give me the 4K/60hz blank screen issue with the same Roku Ultra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yes that is normal...the “HDR” picture mode is specific to the US firmware, it doesn’t exist in the CN firmware. If you’re seeing the “HDR” info bubble and the colors look right, then you’re getting HDR.
post #2015 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Yes that is normal...the “HDR” picture mode is specific to the US firmware, it doesn’t exist in the CN firmware. If you’re seeing the “HDR” info bubble and the colors look right, then you’re getting HDR.
Cool, thanks for your help, now I'll get a universal remote and program it to change the input back and forth so I get HDR on all HDR content!

Reading a few pages back I remember seeing someone was working on a custom firmware. I'd be willing to pitch in, is there someone in particular that is controlling this?
IBNR likes this.
post #2016 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks for your help, now I'll get a universal remote and program it to change the input back and forth so I get HDR on all HDR content!

Reading a few pages back I remember seeing someone was working on a custom firmware. I'd be willing to pitch in, is there someone in particular that is controlling this?
@Rockokma - I'm the "point guy" for the custom firmware endeavor. I found a dev on XDA forums that made custom firmware (more like a custom Android ROM) for other LeEco TV's. So if anyone can do it it's him.

I private messaged him on Saturday but haven't hear back. He basically has a wish list compiled of the common bug fixes and features we all seem to for the most part agree that we want. I did also let him know they'll be monetary compensation from several of us. I'm glad you're willing to pitch in too.

I don't want to crawl up his you know what and hound him too much and push him away. I'm thinking either tomorrow or Friday at the latest I'll send him a follow up private message with a friendly reminder that there is growing monetary support behind anything he can do for us.

Will keep everyone posted.
Game Fan and IBNR like this.
post #2017 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish234 View Post
@Rockokma - I'm the "point guy" for the custom firmware endeavor. I found a dev on XDA forums that made custom firmware (more like a custom Android ROM) for other LeEco TV's. So if anyone can do it it's him.

I private messaged him on Saturday but haven't hear back. He basically has a wish list compiled of the common bug fixes and features we all seem to for the most part agree that we want. I did also let him know they'll be monetary compensation from several of us. I'm glad you're willing to pitch in too.

I don't want to crawl up his you know what and hound him too much and push him away. I'm thinking either tomorrow or Friday at the latest I'll send him a follow up private message with a friendly reminder that there is growing monetary support behind anything he can do for us.

Will keep everyone posted.
Definitely agree with a low-key, low-pressure approach. And in case I haven't made clear I'm definitely willing to pitch in on the money side for this guy if he's willing to do the work. Thanks for spearheading that effort!

Oh, and another data point for your weird white border Netflix issue...I'm definitely not seeing anything like that on either of my Netflix apps (4K HDR version on my Sony UBP-X800 and standard HD version on my non-4K Apple TV). I hope you figure that one out!
post #2018 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Definitely agree with a low-key, low-pressure approach. And in case I haven't made clear I'm definitely willing to pitch in on the money side for this guy if he's willing to do the work. Thanks for spearheading that effort!

Oh, and another data point for your weird white border Netflix issue...I'm definitely not seeing anything like that on either of my Netflix apps (4K HDR version on my Sony UBP-X800 and standard HD version on my non-4K Apple TV). I hope you figure that one out!
Someone smarter than me once told me that you "Get more with honey than vinegar" That's generally served me well over the years.

Thanks for more feedback on the white border issue. I think something is glitchy in the hardware between that white boarder and the flicker which is the main annoyance. I just filed a Visa warranty claim. I'll call them tomorrow to explain. Hopefully when they verify LeEco's site is down and 800 # disconnected they'll agree that the manufacturer warranty has for all intents and purposes expired and now its their turn for their warranty to kick in.

What an adventure!
IBNR likes this.
post #2019 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 08:00 PM
pep

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Apple TV 4K vs. Roku

I broke down and got the Apple TV 4K based on Direct TV Now having lots of reloads on the Roku Ultra. Direct TV Now definitely works better on Apple TV.

Streaming HDR content works well but the weird thing is that the TV stays in HDR even on regular material. Switching to the Roku puts the TV into MOVIE but switching back the ATV4K is back to HDR. I noticed the control I set ON that says to adjust dynamic range. Has anyone else noticed this? Sometimes the effect is great. Other times I think faces get a bit red.

Another strange thing is that the LeEco remote works the ATV4K. Wow, that was a pleasant surprise.
IBNR likes this.
post #2020 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Apple TV 4K vs. Roku

I broke down and got the Apple TV 4K based on Direct TV Now having lots of reloads on the Roku Ultra. Direct TV Now definitely works better on Apple TV.

Streaming HDR content works well but the weird thing is that the TV stays in HDR even on regular material. Switching to the Roku puts the TV into MOVIE but switching back the ATV4K is back to HDR. I noticed the control I set ON that says to adjust dynamic range. Has anyone else noticed this? Sometimes the effect is great. Other times I think faces get a bit red.

Another strange thing is that the LeEco remote works the ATV4K. Wow, that was a pleasant surprise.
I've noted the same behavior with both the Roku Ultra and the ATV4K. This isn't a UMax issue; the ATV4K still forces HDR occ on SDR material. If I don't like the effect, I go into the Apple Menu Settings and change video to 4K SDR.
IBNR and Devonirwin like this.
post #2021 of 3161 Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face Remote

do you guys know if it's it easy to program the TV Remote to universal remotes? I haven't been able to program it to my cable box remote.

Also does anyone know where we can buy more remotes in case this one breaks ?

Thanks
IBNR likes this.
post #2022 of 3161 Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Troyce View Post
While we're on a 3D kick. Do our TV's convert to 3D or is it for 3D files only? I haven't tried it out yet but you guys are making me take interest in it.
To my knowledge, there is no 3d "conversion" in the TV. It will only play/display 3D content.
Thanks!

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6300H, 7.3.4 Atmos: Subs: PSA 1 S7201, 2 V3611, Fronts: SVS Ultra Towers, Center: SVS Ultra Center, Surrounds: 4 SVS Ultra Bookshelves, Ceilings: 4 JBL 81C
TV: LeEco uMax85, Disc Player: Sony UBP-X700
HTC: Water Cooled, MB: Z170 Gaming G1, CPU: 6700K @ 4.5GHz, RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600, SSD: 1TB 960 EVO, 1TB M8Pe(G), HDD: 2x 12 TB, PSU: SuperNOVA 1000, GPU: 2080ti, Case: 909
post #2023 of 3161 Old 01-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJagent View Post
do you guys know if it's it easy to program the TV Remote to universal remotes? I haven't been able to program it to my cable box remote.

Also does anyone know where we can buy more remotes in case this one breaks ?

Thanks
I had no trouble at all mapping the OEM remote to my Harmony Elite, including "teaching" any buttons that didn't transfer automatically. Note that in the Harmony universe at least, the most functional hardware profile for this TV depends on which firmware you're running. If you're on the US firmware, the standard LeEco uMax85 profile seems to work best. For the CN firmware, the LeTV X50 Air profile works better.

I don't have a source for extra OEM remotes, but I would think the same consideration would apply: If you're on the US firmware and plan to stay there, look for another of the remote that came with the TV. If you're on the CN firmware and plan to stay there, look for an X50 remote (which is larger and has significantly more buttons, but I think the button text is all in Chinese...).

Good luck!
MJagent likes this.

Last edited by IBNR; 01-25-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #2024 of 3161 Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM
pep

Any idea where to buy extra remotes - either uMax85 or X50? I don't see any on eBay.
post #2025 of 3161 Old 01-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Any idea where to buy extra remotes - either uMax85 or X50? I don't see any on eBay.
Depending on how things go down with my Visa warranty claim - if the TV is repairable then I'll ask the local TV repair shop for the supplier there getting parts from and maybe that supplier will have spare remotes for sale. Maybe a long shot and I'm in the early stages of this process but I'll ask as I get further along.
IBNR likes this.
post #2026 of 3161 Old 01-27-2018, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I don't have a chance to test my 3D contents until tonight, do anybody know why my 3D glasses keeps turning off itself like every 10-20 mins, it won't turn back on unless I removed the battery? How about the value of depth of field ? No matter how I changed it, it is still showing ghosts from the image or subtitles.

Last edited by chrisfsk; 01-27-2018 at 01:57 AM.
post #2027 of 3161 Old 01-27-2018, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
I don't have a chance to test my 3D contents until tonight, do anybody know why my 3D glasses keeps turning off itself like every 10-20 mins, it won't turn back on unless I removed the battery? How about the value of depth of field ? No matter how I changed it, it is still showing ghosts from the image or subtitles.

What title are you watching and from what player?
I had a perfect picture from several titles, but found the first one that struggled yesterday... Edge of Tomorrow looked pretty bad.

The 3D glasses will turn off automatically if they don’t see a 3D image/signal. I notice that I often have to power them on with a button hold rather than button press, but I’ve never had to remove a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBNR likes this.
post #2028 of 3161 Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I was watching Transformer 5, the real 3D made movie. The PQ is very good, but I am always getting some double images, no matter how I changed the value of "depth of field", more or less of double images showing from the images or subtitles.

Last edited by chrisfsk; 01-27-2018 at 09:40 PM.
post #2029 of 3161 Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM

The more I live with this TV (on CN firmware), the more I learn that The Source Is All.

Channels and programming from my craptastic 1080i-max Spectrum cable box center on an average of “ok/good” with a range between “barely watchable” to “pretty damn good”. Streaming apps (Amazon, Netflix, Zulu) from my 4th Gen non-4K Apple TV (upscaled to 4K by the TV) are outstanding, good enough to make me question the value of upgrading to the 4K edition. Discs off my Sony UBP-X800 are just awesome (I’ve given up on this device as a streamer).

Bottom line: The better the source you feed it, the better this panel gets. I don’t think we’ve yet seen the outer boundary of its capability.
Game Fan, snpanago and stfidel like this.
post #2030 of 3161 Old 01-27-2018, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The more I live with this TV (on CN firmware), the more I learn that The Source Is All.

Channels and programming from my craptastic 1080i-max Spectrum cable box center on an average of “ok/good” with a range between “barely watchable” to “pretty damn good”. Streaming apps (Amazon, Netflix, Zulu) from my 4th Gen non-4K Apple TV (upscaled to 4K by the TV) are outstanding, good enough to make me question the value of upgrading to the 4K edition. Discs off my Sony UBP-X800 are just awesome (I’ve given up on this device as a streamer).

Bottom line: The better the source you feed it, the better this panel gets. I don’t think we’ve yet seen the outer boundary of its capability.
Well said, this is my conclusion as well. My Cox Cable 1080i is too soft if I let the UMax upscale. My AVR upscales lower resolutions up to 4K and makes most cable programming look great. I let the AVR upscale all SDR sources via HDMI so that the handshake displays 2160p 60 or 24hz on the screen. The only nuance is that I seem to prefer changing color saturation and backlight settings depending on the source. Originally, once I calibrated the picture mode, I set it and forgot it. HDR and DV look superb on streaming devices and UHD discs.
Game Fan and IBNR like this.
post #2031 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 06:52 AM
pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfsk View Post
I was watching Transformer 5, the real 3D made movie. The PQ is very good, but I am always getting some double images, no matter how I changed the value of "depth of field", more or less of double images showing from the images or subtitles.
I notice double images at times near the edge of the image but it is very source related. I have also noticed that the effect is much better in a very dark room.
post #2032 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
Well said, this is my conclusion as well. My Cox Cable 1080i is too soft if I let the UMax upscale. My AVR upscales lower resolutions up to 4K and makes most cable programming look great. I let the AVR upscale all SDR sources via HDMI so that the handshake displays 2160p 60 or 24hz on the screen. The only nuance is that I seem to prefer changing color saturation and backlight settings depending on the source. Originally, once I calibrated the picture mode, I set it and forgot it. HDR and DV look superb on streaming devices and UHD discs.
The 4K upscaler in the TV does a very good job imo, at least when it’s fed a clean, high-quality 1080p source like the non-4K Apple TV. But it really struggles, to my eyes, with anything else especially including my cable box. I’ve gone round and round trying every processing/upscaling combo possible given the limitations of my current equipment and nothing gets me anything better than “pretty decent” PQ off cable.

The bottom line is, I simply need a new modern 4K HDR AVR with strong upscaling capabilities. All my research leads me to believe that Sony products, which have been my go-to for years, just do not cut it in this regard. Many people on this thread seem very happy with their Denons so that’s where I’m looking now.

I’d also love to know if any Oppo 203/205 owners have had any success running a less-than-pristine source like a 720p/1080i cable feed through the player’s HDMI-In connection and letting the player process and upscale the signal. I’ve searched around a bit on the owners threads but didn’t really find anything.

My immediate next purchase, though, will be the 4K Apple TV so I can finally check out some real DV content!
post #2033 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 4K upscaler in the TV does a very good job imo, at least when it’s fed a clean, high-quality 1080p source like the non-4K Apple TV. But it really struggles, to my eyes, with anything else especially including my cable box. I’ve gone round and round trying every processing/upscaling combo possible given the limitations of my current equipment and nothing gets me anything better than “pretty decent” PQ off cable.

The bottom line is, I simply need a new modern 4K HDR AVR with strong upscaling capabilities. All my research leads me to believe that Sony products, which have been my go-to for years, just do not cut it in this regard. Many people on this thread seem very happy with their Denons so that’s where I’m looking now.

I’d also love to know if any Oppo 203/205 owners have had any success running a less-than-pristine source like a 720p/1080i cable feed through the player’s HDMI-In connection and letting the player process and upscale the signal. I’ve searched around a bit on the owners threads but didn’t really find anything.

My immediate next purchase, though, will be the 4K Apple TV so I can finally check out some real DV content!
I have a 3 yr old Denon, their previous flagship which does a great job with upscaling and passing HDR. A DV upgrade is expected this March. I tried the Oppo’s HDMI In with my cable source, and it wouldn’t handshake and pass the video signal in my setup. I have no idea why.....all my cables work otherwise with 4K HDR signals.
IBNR likes this.
post #2034 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If your budget has you considering an Oppo UHD player, with the no risk refund/return policy (minus shipping cost) you can see how it behaves in your own system. https://www.oppodigital.com/Support_Store.aspx
IBNR likes this.
post #2035 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a 3 yr old Denon, their previous flagship which does a great job with upscaling and passing HDR. A DV upgrade is expected this March. I tried the Oppo’s HDMI In with my cable source, and it wouldn’t handshake and pass the video signal in my setup. I have no idea why.....all my cables work otherwise with 4K HDR signals.

Remind me which series is three years old?
I have the x4300 but no idea when I got it.
I know the one before that struggled with everything HDR, and I bounced it out of the house

post #2036 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney320 View Post
After so much excitement for the uMax85, I feel like this thread (and all uMax85 discussion) has gone stagnant. With the caveat that I am not a trained eye by any means, here are my impressions:

Unboxing is about as simple as can be, as long as you can get the TV up the stairs or in the elevator. Once you unbox it, you realize the TV is, as we all hoped, big! All of my friends are incredibly impressed with the size. The fit and finish is good and the leeco homescreen is bright and pleasant. The 3d is active and works well, in my opinion. However, I would like to know what other glasses are compatible. The SmartTv features are relatively smooth, but as I've mentioned before, my tv will not hold an internet connection. Half an hour into watching anything on a TV-based app, the TV says there is an error and stops playback. I have to do a full reboot to get it back. As with other forum members, I have the same issues with ARC and local dimming. Also, when I first watched a movie, the motion smoothing feature was turned all the way up, which created artifacts and terrible SOE. After I turned it off, that all went away. The issues I am really displeased with are screen uniformity and halo effect. I constantly see vertical shadows in the screen, and now I'm fixated on it. When I turn the local dimming off and back on, the uniformity is *better* but the halo effect is terrible. I would really like to resolve this issue.

I should also note the obvious. This screen is so big, that if you play standard resolution (or even HD) content, it looks grainy. However, UHD content looks spectacular.
Wait! These are 2017 models...and they have 3D?!?! Well, that right there makes them...the last ones to have it. Rare birds. How does the 3D looks...crosstalk free?
post #2037 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Wait! These are 2017 models...and they have 3D?!?! Well, that right there makes them...the last ones to have it. Rare birds. How does the 3D looks...crosstalk free?

With very few specific title exceptions, yes.
Blew the Sony (940d) out of the water in this regard.

IBNR likes this.
post #2038 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennutt View Post
Remind me which series is three years old?
I have the x4300 but no idea when I got it.
I know the one before that struggled with everything HDR, and I bounced it out of the house

I have the 9 channel Denon X7200WA, just enough for 5.2.4 sound system. I couldn’t be happier with the sound it drives my 4 ohm speakers with, and the video upscaling to me, makes the UMax display look great.
IBNR likes this.
post #2039 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I guess technically, 2016 models and the 3D was a big decider for me to buy one. Compared to my previous Samsung 1080p 55 inch tv, the 3D performance on the uMax is fantastic with little to no crosstalk, depending on the 3D title.
IBNR likes this.
post #2040 of 3161 Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
I guess technically, 2016 models and the 3D was a big decider for me to buy one. Compared to my previous Samsung 1080p 55 inch tv, the 3D performance on the uMax is fantastic with little to no crosstalk, depending on the 3D title.
Ah, 2016 models. Ok, thought I had discovered a company still making them. Oh well, thanks guy's!
IBNR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
dolbyvision , hdr10 , leeco , uhd , umax85

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page